Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

Wait Wait Don't Tell Me is painfully unfunny--the Borowitz Report of NPR

At least The Borowitz Report has a chuckle-worthy headline now and again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

Wait Wait Don't Tell Me is painfully unfunny--the Borowitz Report of NPR

Yeah that stuff is unfunny at best and painfully uncomfortable at worst. They used canned laughter on that show right? Or do people think lame puns and a high screechy voice/funny sounding voices are the height of comedy?

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Hipster's thinking they know folk music is not good.

As someone from a community and state that embraces our actual folk music culture, PHC sucks.

Let's not get too far ahead of ourselves here; bluegrass and old time are tolerable in very limited doses.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
NPR is for those to soft to listen to their political opposites for the schadenfreude.

The bay area radio market is awful. There's quite a bit of right wing AM stations, and all the local moderate/liberal shows get shut down and replaced with nationally syndicated shows. There used to be a pretty good progressive station called Green 960, but it was turned into patriot radio, and then again into bloomberg business. The local moderate channel just switched its morning show to Armstrong and Getty, who are loving horrible people. Ron Owens is the local moderate with a huge following, but even he is getting pushed out by idiots. He's better than most, but every truth is in the middle. Not that left wing radio is any better. I heard a program called the Stephanie Miller show, and a half an hour of it made me want to kill all self labeled progressives. The only left wing radio i heard that was good was by Thom Hartmann, but he's been off the air for over 4 years. Basically The radio is terrible.

Podcasts are where its at.

Heck Yes! Loam! fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Sep 1, 2016

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

:arzy: isn't an emoticon
:goonsay:

:supaburn: is though!

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
No one cares about radio. Just listen to Hello From The Magic Tavern or My Brother, My Brother, and Me via bluetooth. Or a cassette adapter for you poors out there.

Can we get on with watching the South get wiped out by a <s>hurricane</s> hurriCAN'TEVENDODAMAGE?

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

FactsAreUseless posted:

I have never heard of this. Like at all. Is it a widely-distributed show?

Yeap--just Austin.

It used to be on during the morning for my commute when KUT was one station. I hated the show but would stick with it because he'd:

1. Sometimes play interesting stuff
2. gently caress up spectacularly
3. Engage me in yelling at the radio in an apolitical way ("Yes! We know about your loving roses! Yes! Your neighbor makes good kale! gently caress!")
4. Go completely nuts (see #2)

Some personally-memorable highlights include:
1. One time he gave the weather forecast and said that the historic high for that day was 212F. After the next break and some music, he clarified that he had made a mistake and the historic high was just something completely different like 106F in 1992 or whatever. I latched on to that and created a theory that the reason you don't meet anybody from Austin from before the 90s is because there was a day when a sunspot blasted the city and killed everybody that was outside, so the high really was 212F. The rest of the people were deep in buildings or one of the seven basements in this city, and they all decided to never speak of it again.
2. He put on some Mumford and Sons and didn't realize he wasn't playing the censored version, so we all got to hear "gently caress" across the airwaves multiple times in four minutes. He eventually figured it out and played it again with the curse words all faded out. He then rambled on why everybody feels like they have to use the f-word.
3. He put on the hip indie song of preference at some point and then just starts mixing it with the theme to A Fistful of Dollars. The music didn't even really match up.

He reminded me of something like a dad that never heard any music in his life getting let loose in a huge vault of music and a paycheck to just do whatever the hell. The whole was just magical to him so that was all kind of sweet, but it was mostly just annoying. You'd be listening to Godspeed You Black Emperor one minute and then a brazilian spoon band or some poo poo the next, then top it off with the Pico de Gallo song, completely with random commentary and oblivious weather reports.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Solvency posted:

Wait Wait Don't Tell Me and This American Life are the only weekend NPR programming worth listening to.

Edit: Also, On the Media

This American Life's refusal to admit when they're wrong and spouting bullshit isn't exactly a good look for them

fits my needs posted:

Yeah that stuff is unfunny at best and painfully uncomfortable at worst. They used canned laughter on that show right? Or do people think lame puns and a high screechy voice/funny sounding voices are the height of comedy?

Recorded live in front of a studio audience in Chicago.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

:arzy: isn't an emoticon
:goonsay:

Maybe it should be. Hell we got things like :vd: so I don't see why not

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

:vd: is secretly the best smiley on the forums

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
:derp: is the emoticon for arzying.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Kojo Nnamdi is also very nice

SoSimpleABeginning
Mar 6, 2010

From so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been, and are being, evolved.
The Great Twist

Trabisnikof posted:

This American Life's refusal to admit when they're wrong and spouting bullshit isn't exactly a good look for them

Are there high profile examples other than their Apple factory one? (Which they ultimately followed up on an apologized for, iirc).

The other one that pops to mind is their coverage of the Michael Lacour research on the effects of gay canvassers on the people they interacted with. The entire study ended up being fabricated. That wasn't really their fault though, since Lacour managed to hoodwink a number of researchers and institutions, including Science with his impressive set of lies.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

APHC exists to cater to people who have a compulsive desire to be soothed and it fills this niche masterfully. It doesn't do a whole lot else.

I think it's dull as poo poo and can't stand it but I can see how someone could enjoy it I guess

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Epic High Five posted:

APHC exists to cater to people who have a compulsive desire to be soothed and it fills this niche masterfully. It doesn't do a whole lot else.

I think it's dull as poo poo and can't stand it but I can see how someone could enjoy it I guess

Weirdly, I find it makes it a lot easier to concentrate on a commute.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

I guess I have a whole nother level of Dead Inside to reach where I can't even enjoy WWDTM? Oh good, I was worried I hit the cap already.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

The only truly awful, garbage-tier poo poo NPR has is their election coverage and this one time I tuned in and it was some show that was literally just wall to wall rich people chatting about their favorite places to vacation. It was the worst thing I've ever heard in my entire life and to this day I can't imagine a more terrible premise for a show, which may be why I've never heard it again

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
It's basically the radio version of The Andy Griffith Show.

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May

BROCK LESBIAN posted:

It's basically the radio version of The Andy Griffith Show.

The Andy Griffith Show had jokes though.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Hipster's thinking they know folk music is not good.

As someone from a community and state that embraces our actual folk music culture, PHC sucks.

it's you, you're the folk hipster

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Epic High Five posted:

The only truly awful, garbage-tier poo poo NPR has is their election coverage and this one time I tuned in and it was some show that was literally just wall to wall rich people chatting about their favorite places to vacation. It was the worst thing I've ever heard in my entire life and to this day I can't imagine a more terrible premise for a show, which may be why I've never heard it again

Is that "Travel with Rick Steves?" I find it alright to listen to.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
Seeing people say hipster in 2016 is jarring as gently caress

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May

nerve posted:

Seeing people say hipster in 2016 is jarring as gently caress

Hipster.

Did I jar you?

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Trump has a new deputy campaign manager: David Bossie

Someone tell me bout this guy, I'm phone posting

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

Kro-Bar posted:

Hipster.

Did I jar you?

so jar

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

emdash posted:

This might or might not be related:

https://twitter.com/BraddJaffy/status/771474585636245504

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May

emdash posted:

He's the president of Citizens United.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Yeap--just Austin.

It used to be on during the morning for my commute when KUT was one station. I hated the show but would stick with it because he'd:

1. Sometimes play interesting stuff
2. gently caress up spectacularly
3. Engage me in yelling at the radio in an apolitical way ("Yes! We know about your loving roses! Yes! Your neighbor makes good kale! gently caress!")
4. Go completely nuts (see #2)

Some personally-memorable highlights include:
1. One time he gave the weather forecast and said that the historic high for that day was 212F. After the next break and some music, he clarified that he had made a mistake and the historic high was just something completely different like 106F in 1992 or whatever. I latched on to that and created a theory that the reason you don't meet anybody from Austin from before the 90s is because there was a day when a sunspot blasted the city and killed everybody that was outside, so the high really was 212F. The rest of the people were deep in buildings or one of the seven basements in this city, and they all decided to never speak of it again.
2. He put on some Mumford and Sons and didn't realize he wasn't playing the censored version, so we all got to hear "gently caress" across the airwaves multiple times in four minutes. He eventually figured it out and played it again with the curse words all faded out. He then rambled on why everybody feels like they have to use the f-word.
3. He put on the hip indie song of preference at some point and then just starts mixing it with the theme to A Fistful of Dollars. The music didn't even really match up.

He reminded me of something like a dad that never heard any music in his life getting let loose in a huge vault of music and a paycheck to just do whatever the hell. The whole was just magical to him so that was all kind of sweet, but it was mostly just annoying. You'd be listening to Godspeed You Black Emperor one minute and then a brazilian spoon band or some poo poo the next, then top it off with the Pico de Gallo song, completely with random commentary and oblivious weather reports.

You forgot to mention his vocal pacing which makes Garrison K seem like a speed demon in comparison. It isn't even consistent. He (Aeilli) will just stop in the middle of an already slow sentence for five+ seconds before continuing as though nothing happened. When he forgets to queue the background music it is really easy to get confused about whether the station went out.

And every time the station managers try to get his massive black hole of entertainment off the air the donors flip out. Aeilli is a great example of people fighting for "thing that has been around for a long time" as local color worth preserving because dealing with the actual things which are changing the city and neighborhoods is really hard and makes people uncomfortable.

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May

The tweets are coming from inside the house!

https://twitter.com/BraddJaffy/status/771476642858463232

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

So, basically dodge everything controversial and repeat ad nauseum his standard "ideas."

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Kro-Bar posted:

That Citizens United?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The very same.

His campaign is the Serpentor of political dickbags. Hopefully they won't try to clone Atwater.

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

That Citizens United?

Do you know of another one?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

SoSimpleABeginning posted:

Are there high profile examples other than their Apple factory one? (Which they ultimately followed up on an apologized for, iirc).

The other one that pops to mind is their coverage of the Michael Lacour research on the effects of gay canvassers on the people they interacted with. The entire study ended up being fabricated. That wasn't really their fault though, since Lacour managed to hoodwink a number of researchers and institutions, including Science with his impressive set of lies.

They've had a number of other pieces they've had to retract because it was completely made up.

But for me it was when they pushed some complete BS economic theories from the right (like that people getting social security are moochers) without any competing voices then basically defended it by saying "we don't have to and even if something was wrong we stand by our stories"

http://www.cjr.org/united_states_project/disability_social_security_and.php

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Deluded enough to think Trump was doing something other than scamming rubes.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

emdash posted:

Wait sooooo the alt. right POS is already replaced or is this something else.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

emdash posted:

He's a drifter who Don Drapered his way into working as a GOP hatchetman who was so terrible Newt Gingrich of all people forced him to resign.

All in all good people.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Kro-Bar posted:

It's like he's trying to find new ways to make Hilary want to destroy him completely and utterly.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

emdash posted:

https://twitter.com/costareports/status/771483770096590848

PhazonLink posted:

Wait sooooo the alt. right POS is already replaced or is this something else.

He's a deputy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Evil Fluffy posted:

Deluded enough to think Trump was doing something other than scamming rubes.
If Trump does one good thing, I hope he at least puts some damage on the reflexive association between "Republican" and "good" that a lot of the rubes seem to have.

• Locked thread