Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
finally got around to listening to the blood incantation. god drat is it good.

witch vomit's "a scream from the tomb below" and blood incantation's "starpawn" are strong contenders for albums of the year for me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

witch vomit's "a scream from the tomb below"

Just looked this up and yeah, it's rad. Especially digging the Hooded Menace vibes on the last track.

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
witch vomit - witch oval office dot mp3

also, hxc guy, listen to Ringworm (The Promise is my favorite) and Iron Age (both alums rule)

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid
I'll interview Joacim Cans of Hammerfall next week. If you want to ask something, or to get you something signed, let me know.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
Just booked tickets for me and my gf to see Anaal Nathrakh tomorrow in a small venue. She's never been to a metal concert before that's not in an arena or festival and generally doesn't listen to much metal in the first place - bit of a baptism of fire here :getin:

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

henpod posted:

Just booked tickets for me and my gf to see Anaal Nathrakh tomorrow in a small venue. She's never been to a metal concert before that's not in an arena or festival and generally doesn't listen to much metal in the first place - bit of a baptism of fire here :getin:

Is this an elaborate scheme to get dumped or something?

Having said that I managed to convince my metal-hating girlfriend to buy an Anaal Nathrakh top based on the fact that it has a 1984 quote on the front

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

I wish I could listen to more extreme metal around my girlfriend.

She won't really tolerate anything beyond power metal

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Drove around today listening to that Witch Vomit album. I like it.

Thank you metal thread. I forgot all about this thread and as soon as I came back I find something cool in it right away.

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

Nazzadan posted:

I wish I could listen to more extreme metal around my girlfriend.

She won't really tolerate anything beyond power metal

When my girlfriend and I first started dating she really only was into nothing heavier than Rammstein, Marilyn Manson, and Slipknot. Three years later and she's a Suffocation fanatic and I just recently turned her onto Akercocke since she's going to MDF with me.

Speaking of fests, I'm going to the third edition of Hells Headbash this weekend. Sadly, I can only make Saturday and Sunday. As a minority, I'm really (not) looking forward to being surrounded by Nazis on Sunday.

A TURGID FATSO fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Sep 1, 2016

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I got my wife listening to Agalloch, Superjoint Ritual, and I wouldn't be surprised if she starts listening to Cobalt, because she liked Beast Whip when I showed it to her a few days ago. It's really nice having someone who doesn't get weirded out by my tastes in metal.

Now to work on getting her to like Carcass :v:

Cobra Commander
Jan 18, 2011

I can get her into Satan's Almighty Penis. It's mine.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

College Slice

MikeCrotch posted:

Is this an elaborate scheme to get dumped or something?

Having said that I managed to convince my metal-hating girlfriend to buy an Anaal Nathrakh top based on the fact that it has a 1984 quote on the front

Yeah, I just mentioned that there was a band i was curious to see and she was keen to come along. I tried to explain that its a loud as gently caress band in a small space but there we are. I'm going to buy her some earplugs just in case.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

henpod posted:

Yeah, I just mentioned that there was a band i was curious to see and she was keen to come along. I tried to explain that its a loud as gently caress band in a small space but there we are. I'm going to buy her some earplugs just in case.

You both should be wearing earplugs regardless.

Buy good ones: https://www.amazon.com/Etymotic-Research-Protection-Earplugs-Standard/dp/B0044DEESS

Also my girlfriend isn't into metal at all but she came along to MDF one year and I brought her to the front of the stage for Cephalic Carnage and she got elbowed in the head and stayed in the back for the rest of the weekend.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

I guess I shouldn't be even a little surprised

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

College Slice

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

You both should be wearing earplugs regardless.

Buy good ones: https://www.amazon.com/Etymotic-Research-Protection-Earplugs-Standard/dp/B0044DEESS

Also my girlfriend isn't into metal at all but she came along to MDF one year and I brought her to the front of the stage for Cephalic Carnage and she got elbowed in the head and stayed in the back for the rest of the weekend.

I never wear earplugs at shows, but its probably very bad to not have them. Was just gonna buy some cheap foam ones from the local chemist.

Yeah, I have no idea where we are going to stand, but shes quite petite so will need to keep an eye on all the 8 foot tall wookies windmilling and the shaven head mosh-shovers.

On a side-note i was checking out the support acts for tonight. These guys actually sound pretty good!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nu-kQ-28vxg&t=1260s

Also, that song has a really cool drum solo, which you don't often hear on records.

henpod fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Sep 2, 2016

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Title track from the new Testament is out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OeIgFsU0x4I

Song is decent. Chuck sounds loving awesome.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I thought they would have mixed DiGiorgio a bit higher, but I'm down with the track.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

henpod posted:

I never wear earplugs at shows, but its probably very bad to not have them. Was just gonna buy some cheap foam ones from the local chemist

You should wear ear plugs

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Non Serviam posted:

I'll interview Joacim Cans of Hammerfall next week. If you want to ask something, or to get you something signed, let me know.
Conduct the entire interview as though he's the coach of the Swedish national women's curling team

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

College Slice

nerve posted:

You should wear ear plugs

Yeah after that other dude mentioned it i poked in 'ear plugs and metal shows' and it seems a lot of people get fucky ears from not wearing them. Will get some cheapies for now as the show is in like 3 hours but get better ones going forward. Thanks guys :). Off to Anaal!

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

the yeti posted:

I guess I shouldn't be even a little surprised

:( I was planning on going to the NYC show on Tuesday, hopefully they still make it

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Varg posted:

:( I was planning on going to the NYC show on Tuesday, hopefully they still make it

Yeah I was planning on catching them in Columbus; it'd still be nice to see Carach Angren and Rotting Christ, but the calculus of that drive is way different without Marduk.

I seem to recall a big discussion some time ago in here about how lots of bands and organizers leave this til literally the last minute so I roll my eyes more than anything at this point.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Tinnitus sucks, wear plugs.

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
Or even worse, bands drop out/miss some dates and the promoters don't say poo poo. I was about to catch a train to head an hour north just to see Suffocation at the Summer Slaughter and they were going to miss that date. I can't believe I'm saying this, but thank God for Facebook...

Weaponized Cum fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Sep 2, 2016

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

This owns: https://vrtrachasm.bandcamp.com/track/the-cold-suffocating-dark-goes-on-forever

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich
tinnitus is your brain screaming out phantom frequencies, forever lost to the trauma caused by live metal :black101:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That could be true, as the only relief for tinnitus is playing even more music.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Vulture Culture posted:

Conduct the entire interview as though he's the coach of the Swedish national women's curling team
This would be more metal than Hammerfall

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

henpod posted:

Yeah after that other dude mentioned it i poked in 'ear plugs and metal shows' and it seems a lot of people get fucky ears from not wearing them. Will get some cheapies for now as the show is in like 3 hours but get better ones going forward. Thanks guys :). Off to Anaal!

When you upgrade to nicer plugs I think you'll be impressed with how much better you can hear the bands.

Foam ones are necessary compared to nothing at all, but they block a lot more than I'd like and make the guitars difficult to hear.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Spend the ~$15 on a pair of Etymotic ER20s or equivalent plugs (I have some 3M EAR 20 which are basically the same), your ears will thank you.

And yes, tinnitus loving sucks.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

My tinnitus is infrequent but the idea of it being worse or constant is terrifying. I waffle between ER-20s and Earpeace, for my weirdo ears the Earpeaces are way more comfortable but they're kind of a pain to get seated and get out.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

Hulk Krogan posted:

Title track from the new Testament is out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OeIgFsU0x4I

Song is decent. Chuck sounds loving awesome.

gently caress yeah, they're sounding great again.

re earplug chat: pay for the Etymotics which cuts the volume fairly evenly across the audio spectrum. Those foam ones suck rear end for music -- all you'll hear is muffled bass.

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

More Primus For Fucks Sake.
When I saw Boris and Sunn O))) everybody who worked at the venue was giving out earplugs, didn't really help.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

WAR DOGS OF SOCHI posted:

gently caress yeah, they're sounding great again.

re earplug chat: pay for the Etymotics which cuts the volume fairly evenly across the audio spectrum. Those foam ones suck rear end for music -- all you'll hear is muffled bass.

Lately I've actually had that exact problem with Etys, really overbearing bass still drowning out everything else, especially the vocalist. I'm not sure if it's poo poo house sound (this would not surprise me) or bad earplug fit or something else.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

the yeti posted:

Lately I've actually had that exact problem with Etys, really overbearing bass still drowning out everything else, especially the vocalist. I'm not sure if it's poo poo house sound (this would not surprise me) or bad earplug fit or something else.

Never really had that issue. I mean the bass is always going to be stronger when you've got plugs in, but it shouldn't be drowning out other poo poo. It might be that you've got poorly fitting plugs.

That, combined with lovely house sound (which does happen, especially at low budget shows) could definitely cause problems.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
That new Testament song ain't half bad.

Neither is this new Vader song. Digging the thrash vibe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7evx_AQy0jI

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

Nordick posted:

This would be more metal than Hammerfall

I'd do it with his consent, honestly. I usually try to not be much of a dick, since the man hasn't done anything to me.

Last night I interviewed Chuck Billy, and that was awkward. He was bothered about doing interviews, and he didn't hide it.

On another topic, if you like melodic black metal please listen to Astrophobos. https://astrophobos.bandcamp.com/

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Non Serviam posted:

On another topic, if you like melodic black metal please listen to Astrophobos. https://astrophobos.bandcamp.com/

Digging this

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat

henpod posted:

Not only that, but you'll feel a million times better in the morning after. I swear half of my post-concert hangovers when I was younger was due to noise.

EDIT: and get those good ones. the show will sound almost the exact same but just quieter. the cheap foam ones just drown out all the highs.

ive always wanted to get ear molds done and get custom plugs, but im lazy

CRIP EATIN BREAD fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Sep 3, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

Not only that, but you'll feel a million times better in the morning after. I swear half of my post-concert hangovers when I was younger was due to noise.

EDIT: and get those good ones. the show will sound almost the exact same but just quieter. the cheap foam ones just drown out all the highs.

ive always wanted to get ear molds done and get custom plugs, but im lazy

Really, there's no reason not to use plugs. The amount of damage you can do to your hearing is gigantic. I've seen people in festivals who, despite being next to the speakers, do not wear plugs at all... I can only imagine how messed their hearing must be.

Additionally, if prevention isn't an issue, plugs just make the music sound better. The music at a concert is produced to make sure everyone in the venue /field can hear it; it is not made with the ears of a single human in mind. The result is that you just hear a mishmash of noise (mostly drums) and little else.

Mine are pretty good and I paid about 15 for them. Just look for earplugs made for musicians, not for swimmers or people who want to sleep on a plane (unless you're on your way to a show and forgot to bring a decent pair, in which case they're better than nothing).