Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
al-azad
May 28, 2009

It's almost like Nintendo is a Japanese company and the rest of the world is an after thought!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

Wait what? The 3DS version isn't going to have downloadable levels from other users??

You can but only in challenge mode or recommended modes.

Apparently you can't just enter in someone's code and find their level and you don't get course world.

Yes it's stupid.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

What's the technology behind the Wii U version? The assets are the same across all platforms so I assume you're just uploading data about where each asset is located. A QR code is something like 3kB, how much data does StreetPass transfer?

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

RZA Encryption posted:

Local sharing/streetpass only.

Yeah....

Holy moly that's ridiculous.

Hopefully the hacking community makes short wind of that.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

al-azad posted:

It's almost like Nintendo is a Japanese company and the rest of the world is an after thought!

People say this poo poo, but it's not like it works perfectly in Japan either.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

fishmech posted:

Right. Nintendo is a retarded company, much like "Vita? What's that?" Sony. Location doesn't really matter.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

fishmech posted:

The only way I can rationalize it in my brain is by pretending I'm a businessman in a country where thousands of people squash in a train to and from work or deliberately hang out at parks until their little light goes solid green.

Metroid Prime Fart Force has online multiplayer. I'm pretty sure Luigi's Mansion still has people playing online, I don't know wtf is going through their heads.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

al-azad posted:

Advantage: they can still do crazy poo poo! :dance:

Disadvantage: they sometimes do crazy poo poo. :(

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
I think what's really going on with Nintendo's arbitrary "local only!!" multiplayer interaction stuff like that, is that they must only budget for a certain amount of new server infrastructure per year. So a game comes up once they've gone past that? Sorry, no online stuff at all or only crippled online stuff for it. Local-only wireless is free to Nintendo, after all.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

fishmech posted:

I think what's really going on with Nintendo's arbitrary "local only!!" multiplayer interaction stuff like that, is that they must only budget for a certain amount of new server infrastructure per year. So a game comes up once they've gone past that? Sorry, no online stuff at all or only crippled online stuff for it. Local-only wireless is free to Nintendo, after all.

If this is true we have another reason to hate Federation Force!

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

fishmech posted:

Mario Maker's online requirements are like nothing, though. Each level is likely no more than 50 or even 100KB in size, and all they have to do is at a minimum let you upload a stage and download other stages. They've already got all the poo poo left over from the Wii U version, too.

Streetpass is the worst poo poo. So much stuff relies on it now and outside of major population centers you're lucky to get one or two tags a week, and that's before you account for the percent of those tags that'll even have this game (or care about random stages from people). Nintendo's local-only poo poo is just bizarre and a bad experience for everyone.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Zamujasa posted:

Mario Maker's online requirements are like nothing, though. Each level is likely no more than 50 or even 100KB in size, and all they have to do is at a minimum let you upload a stage and download other stages. They've already got all the poo poo left over from the Wii U version, too.

Streetpass is the worst poo poo. So much stuff relies on it now and outside of major population centers you're lucky to get one or two tags a week, and that's before you account for the percent of those tags that'll even have this game (or care about random stages from people). Nintendo's local-only poo poo is just bizarre and a bad experience for everyone.

Considering the 3DS chokes when trying to load Netflix's catalog pages and collapses under the pressure of small webpages, I don't think it's the level itself that's the problem.

On my college campus I get about three or four hits a day. Usually it's the same group of us hitting each other over and over.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Code Jockey posted:

What kind of sticks are those, they're beautiful and I want some [they're gonna be like $500 a pop aren't they]

it would be like $3-400 for that entire setup with the supergun if you could find it. I got super lucky and got that exact kit from a canadian last year for like $300

e: and yeah the sticks are the fuckin bomb, especially if you like seimitsu parts. they have a patch bay under a little flap in the bottom to totally remap the stick, you can do poo poo like assign two buttons to one input (really useful for shumps when you want to have one turbo'd and one for a charge shot or something)

e2: check yja and ebay for "sigma av5000", thats the supergun those sticks came with and they're more likely to be found with it than loose

d0s fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Sep 1, 2016

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

d0s posted:

it would be like $3-400 for that entire setup with the supergun if you could find it. I got super lucky and got that exact kit from a canadian last year for like $300

e: and yeah the sticks are the fuckin bomb, especially if you like seimitsu parts. they have a patch bay under a little flap in the bottom to totally remap the stick, you can do poo poo like assign two buttons to one input (really useful for shumps when you want to have one turbo'd and one for a charge shot or something)

e2: check yja and ebay for "sigma av5000", thats the supergun those sticks came with and they're more likely to be found with it than loose

or you can shoot for a new Windy Gaming supergun (currently actually being assembled)

http://www.windygaming.com/products/preorder-windy-gaming-supergun-model-atp-300

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Nintendo make course world and level search work on new 3ds.

Use that extra power!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

oh wow, I just saw the Nintendo 3DS direct and they are putting Mario Maker on the 3DS. That is so perfect because I love that game but it's rare I get to use my WiiU. This will be great!

WHAT :allears:

RZA Encryption posted:

Local sharing/streetpass only.

Yeah....

WHAT :argh:

fishmech posted:

They just really don't "get" the internet. They never have. Nintendo games have always lagged behind western games by like literally 5 years when it comes to online features.

You might be right about the servers, but that'd be weird. They can afford more. But I could see them just not wanting to because again, they just don't get the internet and how powerful it is.

If anything the internet just scares them. Kids play on our consoles! We can't let them have internet access! That's scary!
(It is, but its not like those kids dont' have PCs, and there are things you can do to mitigate it better than just not doing it)

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Sep 1, 2016

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

_____! posted:

And people wonder why the hoarding mentality exists in this community. This is why people buy every N64 they come across at garage sales/thrift shops since they'll just wind up on the street. That Gamecube has clearly seen some poo poo.

gently caress that gamecube, those sticks are great

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Zaphod42 posted:

If anything the internet just scares them. Kids play on our consoles! We can't let them have internet access! That's scary!
(It is, but its not like those kids dont' have PCs, and there are things you can do to mitigate it better than just not doing it)

I'm guessing they just take the better safe than sorry approach.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Wamdoodle posted:

I'm guessing they just take the better safe than sorry approach.

Its basically a "we don't know what to do with this and we aren't going to bother to find out" which I can kinda understand, but comeon... get with the times guys.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Zaphod42 posted:

Its basically a "we don't know what to do with this and we aren't going to bother to find out" which I can kinda understand, but comeon... get with the times guys.

Yeah.... I didn't say it was a good policy :downs: Oh well. Nothing to do about it except whine on the internet.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
American parents are bugfuck insane and Nintendo is trying to avoid controversy. It's also why Splatoon didn't have voice chat.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
but splatoon not having voice chat is awesome.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Less awesome: Nintendo nuking 562 fangames in a single DMCA takedown.

Probably smarter to do them in large batches like this instead of individually, now you're not making recognizable martyrs. Still, even with the caveat that they're totally within their legal right to do so, :wtc:

Shadow Hog fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Sep 1, 2016

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Zaphod42 posted:

It seems especially stupid when smartphones (with all their Internet access and other features) are probably a main competitor to Nintendo's portable offerings. Nintendo doesn't (and probably shouldn't) go all gung ho and crazy about open Internet, but expecting node-to-node wireless to be a selling point is ridiculous. Maybe in urban Japan, where there's a lot of density, that sort of thing might work. In the US, with so much sprawl and automotive-based transportation (rather than bus or rail-based) and so on? That's not so workable.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Shadow Hog posted:

Probably smarter to do them in large batches like this instead of individually, now you're not making recognizable martyrs. Still, even with the caveat that they're totally within their legal right to do so, :wtc:

Heh I was looking through that, and some of those games are ones Lowtax played while doing his bad games youtube channel. Here's one of them:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-X9E5M4tvtg

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

American parents are bugfuck insane and Nintendo is trying to avoid controversy. It's also why Splatoon didn't have voice chat.

That's a bullshit excuse here, because Mario Maker for the Wii U already has full online functionality.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

At least Mario's Super Adventure lives on.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
You could probably make some arguments that it doesn't have course world because The 3DS Is A Pile Of poo poo, but the real answer is that Nintendo still wants you to buy a Wii U.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Wamdoodle posted:

Yeah.... I didn't say it was a good policy :downs: Oh well. Nothing to do about it except whine on the internet.

And how! :)

Shadow Hog posted:

Man I really hate poo poo like this.

I mean, if they're charging money, sue the pants off em. Same with people who print band names on t-shirts and then get offended if you tell them its wrong.

But if these are just free to play fan games, who the gently caress does that hurt. Its ridiculous.

The law shouldn't even allow them to do this though, we gotta fix it in congress.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Shadow Hog posted:

drat nintendo pulled out the hammer

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Zaphod42 posted:

And how! :)

Man I really hate poo poo like this.

I mean, if they're charging money, sue the pants off em. Same with people who print band names on t-shirts and then get offended if you tell them its wrong.

But if these are just free to play fan games, who the gently caress does that hurt. Its ridiculous.

The law shouldn't even allow them to do this though, we gotta fix it in congress.

I'm glad the lovely games were removed from easy access.

This also isn't even close to all the Nintendo IP using games on GameJolt, this one's still up and it's outright blatant: http://gamejolt.com/games/nintendo-world-2/4901

It also attempts to present a history of retro gaming in its course, so it's quite weird.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Caitlin posted:

or you can shoot for a new Windy Gaming supergun (currently actually being assembled)

http://www.windygaming.com/products/preorder-windy-gaming-supergun-model-atp-300

he was after the sticks though :confused:

also for $250 why is it in a radioshack project box

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Wasn't there a browser based NES emulator in 3D with games built in? Is that still up?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

al-azad posted:

Wasn't there a browser based NES emulator in 3D with games built in? Is that still up?

What? I would love to see this

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

They just really don't "get" the internet. They never have. Nintendo games have always lagged behind western games by like literally 5 years when it comes to online features.

Surely you can't suggest that a Japanese company doesn't grasp basic internet features from twenty years ago? (Pretend I hotlinked each word in that sentence to a different major .jp site that looks like something designed for Netscape Navigator 1.2).

Shadow Hog posted:

That's probably a reaction to the reaction people had to other recent take down notices. Someone high up, probably not in Nintendo's legal department, said, "We just have to be more aggressive about stopping this. Arm the legal paper gatling gun."

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

What? I would love to see this

3DNES is what you are looking for.

Tobaccrow
Jan 21, 2008

Don't smoke, kids... Unless you have to.
RIP Pokemon Uncensored

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Actually, apparently projects hosted on GameJolt were receiving 30% of ad revenue for their project pages or something... in which case, if true, that's violating one of the tenets of the fangaming scene (ie: don't take money for your copyright-infringing product you morons), and makes me feel better about the situation in general.

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

Tobaccrow posted:

RIP Pokemon Uncensored

it's not edgy unless klansmen are involved. today's kids are too soft

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

rdbbb posted:

what i wanna know is out of the 650+ catchable pokemon, how many of them would be capable of eating one's balls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

rdbbb posted:

I feel pretty bad about it now but I used to think Super KKK Bros. 2 was screamingly hilarious when I was like 14

• Locked thread