Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Flython
Oct 21, 2010

Bolt Crank posted:

Perhaps that soured opinion is from the fact that we got the bulk-up 3U and 4U for the last two localized releases?

I've never played it, but I'd assume Japan's orignial 4 was fairly slim comparatively, kind of like how Tri was to 3U.

That's definitely a major factor. There's also certainly a level of fatigue regarding the series for me at this point. I've fought Rathian and Rathalos in their various forms hundreds of times at this point and it's kinda just dull now. I was bemoaning the lack of subspecies before but they're never actually all that different, drain the two uragaan of all colour and I'm not sure you could actually tell the difference. Deviants aren't really all that much better unfortunately.

This is also the first game were I've done the majority of HR online and it's really just not much of a challenge at all. I'm not even that good at the game.

Surprised by just how negative I've been but I'm honestly disappointed with generations. I do like the new styles/arts systems and some of the new mobs. Malfesio is such a great redesign of Hypnotrice and I really like Great Maccao. Guess I'll just have to not bother with games that don't end in U.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

We made it. Frontier's Z update is straight up adding transmog.

Praise be.

BipolarAurora
Jan 1, 2013

Flython posted:

That's definitely a major factor. There's also certainly a level of fatigue regarding the series for me at this point. I've fought Rathian and Rathalos in their various forms hundreds of times at this point and it's kinda just dull now. I was bemoaning the lack of subspecies before but they're never actually all that different, drain the two uragaan of all colour and I'm not sure you could actually tell the difference. Deviants aren't really all that much better unfortunately.
I'm honestly a bit burnt out from the main series at this point, Generations didn't click with me as much as 3U and 4U did. Perhaps that's because I pretty much played way too much 4th gen Monster Hunter for my liking (started with the original 4). I'm just gonna wait out for a MH5U hopefully.

Emalde posted:

Praise be.
That is loving rad! Maybe investing some time into Frontier might not be a bad idea.

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Respectable Bespectacled Receptacle

Emalde posted:

Praise be.

I hope this makes it to the US series. I get the allure of WYSIWYG equipment, but having the option to turn a clown suit into something a bit more palatable sounds good to me. I take it as only a good option, as I assume it is voluntary.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Moga Sweetheart just made up a dirty song about me beating the Glavenus. Wonderful.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Saint Freak posted:

Moga Sweetheart just made up a dirty song about me beating the Glavenus. Wonderful.

Yeah, I beat Glavenus last night as well and everything about the "ending" is perfect.

Pretty excited to fight a Seregios next. Never made it to him in 4U so it'll be interesting. Also, 6* monsters are still LR, right? It's just the Advanced quests that are High?

Ziddar
Jul 24, 2003

Time Travel: Not Even Once

okay maybe a few times

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Yeah, I beat Glavenus last night as well and everything about the "ending" is perfect.

Pretty excited to fight a Seregios next. Never made it to him in 4U so it'll be interesting. Also, 6* monsters are still LR, right? It's just the Advanced quests that are High?

Correct. Advanced quests are the only HR solo quests. Many of them need to be unlocked through progress at the guild hub, though.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I don't think this has been posted before: Monster Hunter: The Jazz

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqAWhIXyGlk

e: Or, if you prefer swing: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLEB879E60BF5BC5B0

Evil Mastermind fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Sep 1, 2016

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Ziddar posted:

Correct. Advanced quests are the only HR solo quests. Many of them need to be unlocked through progress at the guild hub, though.

Darn it. That would explain why there were so few 6 star quests. I haven't done any Guild requests yet, I gotta get on that it seems.

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Respectable Bespectacled Receptacle

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Darn it. That would explain why there were so few 6 star quests. I haven't done any Guild requests yet, I gotta get on that it seems.

If you have access to wi-fi in any way that would be conducive to playing the game for a bit, I highly recommend it. Pubbing it isn't as bad as people make it out to be, and having four people wailing on a monster at once is fun as balls.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I still have yet to have a bad pub experience in this game after 200 hours. I don't think that says anything about the pubbies so much as the game is just easier than ever. I've had some slow runs and some real doofs in the lobby but that's about it.

I've only done about two deviant grinds so far though, I think I'm burnt out on deviants already.

Camel Camus
Jun 16, 2009

Mais, non, je suis fantastique!

Noooooooo no sign of hyper jho, akantor or ukanlos in the September DLC. Want esurient R soooo bad.

On a more optimistic note I've been playing through HR 1-7 with my sister and letting her pick all the armor and stuff that we wear and learning a lot. Did not know that the Plesioth set only has 4 pieces to it and adds up to +10 in mounting, vault and capturer. It also makes you look like a synchronized swimmer from the '50s. Neat!

While I'm on Plesioth, why is it like five times harder than Lavasioth? Kind of a let down to see Lavasioth and be like "ah gently caress not this rear end in a top hat again and this time he's all covered in rocks and lavas drat!" and then five minutes later you're standing over the thing carving away trying to hide your little frumpy frown.

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

Because Lavasioth is a later monster in the series and better designed. I don't mind him being easier, simply due to better designed mostly because the weapons are pretty cool. It follows a much better flow through the fight too, and uses the hipcheck less.

Now I've got a question, where should my stats be before taking on hyper monsters? I really want to get a fungasax going so I can start working on dreadqueen bits. I've solo'd deadeye Garuga I at this point and it's frustrating me how I'm still having issues with some of the other deviants first fights and hyper gypceros is really driving me nuts to take on alone.

Maybe I should just get a group of 4 together for it.

Tyty fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Sep 1, 2016

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
Lavasioth was a loving rear end in a top hat in MHFU, way worse than Plesioth

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I know this is kinda off topic, but how does GOD EATER 2 Rage Burst stand up as a PC Monster Hunter-y type game? I tried Toukiden: Kiwami a while back but wasn't super-impressed.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Take everything that comes to mind when you think about anime. Good stuff, bad, whatever. Throw it in a bag with monster hunter and shake vigorously. That's God Eater.

It's not bad, it just supplements the depth of a monster hunter game for floatier fighting and fighting that looks cool on the surface. My experience is only way back with GE 1 on the psp years ago, but that was my impression.

Wrist Watch fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Sep 1, 2016

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
It's like Monster Hunter if Monster Hunter had no gathering, no multi-zone maps, no combining items, a dash that covered the twice the distance in the same amount of time and way more movement in general (including a weapon that can airdash), less weapon options, and overall every animation came out 2-3 times faster.

It's pretty good, and the PC port is apparently solid. There's a thread here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3781358

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata
God Eater looks way more shallow and button masher actiony. And anime as gently caress.

Zero appeal for me.

http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/quick-look-god-eater-2-rage-burst/2300-11529/

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
The combat flows pretty much the same, except three times as fast and with you swapping between gun and melee modes, really.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
"Monster Hunter but with a much smoother and cooler control system!" is like bullet-point number one on the features of a ton hunting games and it's nearly always terrible because it ends up being a bunch of flashy and weightless cookie-cutter combos that ignore what's so great about MH's system; having a handful of moves that do specific things and are useful in different situations. God Eater is pretty good as far as hunting games go and has a neat gimmick of its own (craftable bullets for your guns that can pull off some insane moves) but they stripped out a lot of complexity and replaced incidental world-building with the most anime of plots.

I've cooled down a little on Generations myself too but still think it's a great game. Just a lot of other great games came out this month too.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Pierson posted:

God Eater is pretty good as far as hunting games go and has a neat gimmick of its own (craftable bullets for your guns that can pull off some insane moves) but they stripped out a lot of complexity

This doesn't really hold true for GE2, which has such a mess of concurrent mechanics that it absolutely rivals MH, for better or worse.

Toukiden 2 is probably the only other game in the genre that successfully does "not-MH" but in its own equally visceral and satisfying way, so look forward to that if GE's weightless combat and unabashed anime coat of paint puts you off too much.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Pierson posted:

"Monster Hunter but with a much smoother and cooler control system!" is like bullet-point number one on the features of a ton hunting games and it's nearly always terrible because it ends up being a bunch of flashy and weightless cookie-cutter combos that ignore what's so great about MH's system; having a handful of moves that do specific things and are useful in different situations. God Eater is pretty good as far as hunting games go and has a neat gimmick of its own (craftable bullets for your guns that can pull off some insane moves) but they stripped out a lot of complexity and replaced incidental world-building with the most anime of plots.

I've cooled down a little on Generations myself too but still think it's a great game. Just a lot of other great games came out this month too.

I was feelin kinda psyched about God Eater until I watched that Giantbomb footage, yikes. Everything just looks really floaty. Even the animations for getting flung across the room by a monster look super phoned-in. I guess it might be better if your mind is distracted by actually playing the game, but looking in as an observer it was not as... visceral, I guess, as Monster Hunter seems to me.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
What does the play progression look like for this game? I'm about to finish the village *6 line after the Dracula Wyvern and have been soloing the whole way. Next would be Hub which is multiplayer, right?

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Yeah. I did the the hub and village parallel to each other to have the same set of monsters, but some people focus solely on multiplayer, some solely on the singleplayer. Also cause I kept getting requests to do stuff in the hub, so I did. The singleplayer Advanced missions are unlocked by playing in multiplayer though.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Evil Mastermind posted:

I know this is kinda off topic, but how does GOD EATER 2 Rage Burst stand up as a PC Monster Hunter-y type game? I tried Toukiden: Kiwami a while back but wasn't super-impressed.
Here's my big GE complaint:

GE2 appears to be ported, but has the more evolved gameplay stuff. GE:E was made specifically for HD, but is the older game.

I can't reconcile the two personally. I think GE2 looks and, more importantly to me, sounds too much like a straight port for me. I wish it were given a better treatment.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Emalde posted:

This doesn't really hold true for GE2, which has such a mess of concurrent mechanics that it absolutely rivals MH, for better or worse.

Toukiden 2 is probably the only other game in the genre that successfully does "not-MH" but in its own equally visceral and satisfying way, so look forward to that if GE's weightless combat and unabashed anime coat of paint puts you off too much.

Hey now. Don't be talking poo poo about Nano Diver

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Emalde posted:

Yeouch. I enjoyed GE1 for what it was (and also before MH had clicked for me and everything else faded away), shame.

Emalde posted:

I tried Toukiden 1 and found it underwhelming, but I liked the idea and setting, I'll keep an eye out. I tried Freedom Wars as well but it was like GE; gimmick and plot and just wasn't compelling, and the 'monsters' looked awful.

deadly_pudding posted:

I was feelin kinda psyched about God Eater until I watched that Giantbomb footage, yikes. Everything just looks really floaty. Even the animations for getting flung across the room by a monster look super phoned-in.
Let me tell you about a game called Ragnarok Odyssey...

Bellophon
Sep 26, 2012
This is my first time posting in the thread, and having just beat Glavenus let me just ask: What the actual gently caress was that ending?!

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Bellophon posted:

This is my first time posting in the thread, and having just beat Glavenus let me just ask: What the actual gently caress was that ending?!

Pure magic.

Also, this just in: Seregios is an rear end in a top hat and I hate bleeding and I hate how many Sunderers I need. But his Khanga Edge is my new baby and I made that mixed Attack Up S/Razor Sharp/Weakness Exploit set just to take advantage of that sweet sweet sliver of blue.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
I really hope MH5U has less gathering quests. :sigh:

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Is there no equivalent to the Tanzian Ale / Mosswine Jerky from the last few games in this one? Is that only for Ultimate games?

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Also fire the person responsible for the "slay 50 insect" quests, and then have them executed by gassing with bug bombs.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Alxprit posted:

Is there no equivalent to the Tanzian Ale / Mosswine Jerky from the last few games in this one? Is that only for Ultimate games?

There is. I forget what it's called, but you can get it if you cook sushifish in the Rife Roast option in the kitchen.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Neo_Crimson posted:

There is. I forget what it's called, but you can get it if you cook sushifish in the Rife Roast option in the kitchen.

This has been nerfed, the gourmet fish gives you the red health recovery but it has the steak eating animation and doesn't cure bleeding. Regular sushifish is the new bleeding cure.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

BMan posted:

This has been nerfed, the gourmet fish gives you the red health recovery but it has the steak eating animation and doesn't cure bleeding. Regular sushifish is the new bleeding cure.

Red health recovery is what I'm most interested in. If Sushifish by itself doesn't do that, then I'll cook them.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
Yukumo Eggs are the real Mosswine Jerky equivalent I think, except those are super rare unless you dupe them with somebody online

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Alxprit posted:

Red health recovery is what I'm most interested in. If Sushifish by itself doesn't do that, then I'll cook them.

It's significantly less useful since it takes as long to do as eating a steak.

dragon enthusiast posted:

Yukumo Eggs are the real Mosswine Jerky equivalent I think, except those are super rare unless you dupe them with somebody online

This. I have, like, 3. And I think you even need one for a request at one point.

SilverGryphon
Oct 14, 2012

This might just be fun after all.
Dat ending.

:allears:

That was a thing of beauty and I am so glad you have the option to replay it.

Also, I'm looking at the next tier of village quests and am I seeing that right? The subquest for the Kiran mission is... to bring a flag to the top of a mountain? What?

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

SilverGryphon posted:

Also, I'm looking at the next tier of village quests and am I seeing that right? The subquest for the Kiran mission is... to bring a flag to the top of a mountain? What?

The flag will be provided as a Supply Item. Careful, it somehow has the health-draining effect of a Powderstone. It's not that hard, but it might be a little tricky to figure out where the peak exactly is. Was for me, at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Alxprit posted:

The flag will be provided as a Supply Item. Careful, it somehow has the health-draining effect of a Powderstone. It's not that hard, but it might be a little tricky to figure out where the peak exactly is. Was for me, at least.

It's a very hot flag. Because it represents your burning spirit.

• Locked thread