Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

Slim Pickens posted:

Hanjin declared bankruptcy. Apparently shipping boats are just dropping anchor in the middle of the ocean until they hear what the gently caress they need to do with their cargo.

ports are turning away hanjin ships. crews are gonna get stuck on board for months off shore while they figure this out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Lash them together for a seastead.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Why is Hanjin declaring bankruptcy?

thetechnoloser
Feb 11, 2003

Say hello to post-apocalyptic fun!
Grimey Drawer

Zeris posted:

Does anyone have personal experience with having a military relative interred at Arlington?

I worked at the Old Guard for several years in the PAO shop. Might be able to answer questions for you, PM if needed.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

thetechnoloser posted:

I worked at the Old Guard for several years in the PAO shop. Might be able to answer questions for you, PM if needed.

Thanks, I sent a PM

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

holocaust bloopers posted:

They're probably bankrupt

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-hanjin-bankruptcy-20160901-snap-story.html

quote:

The current bottleneck came after Hanjin filed for bankruptcy protection Wednesday after its creditors rejected a restructuring plan.

Hanjin, like other large shipping lines, has struggled with overcapacity brought on by a massive ship building boom and sluggish demand.

Hanjin and others bought bigger and bigger ships to save money on fuel, on the premise that both Chinese economic growth and global shipping would would remain strong, O'Connell said.

“Well, China stumbled and global trade projections went nearly flat,” he said. “All these shipping lines are stuck with large vessels and overcapacity.”

Hanjin, for example, reported a loss of $221 million in the first quarter.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
[img disco stu disco sales]

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Too many big ships going nearly empty. Got it.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
can we have tanker jousting now

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

VikingSkull posted:

can we have tanker jousting now

I want to see two tankers going full speed ram into each other

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
you might get that wish

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
tanker jousting should be an olympic sport and i've never even seen tanker jousting

i just know

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
Genuinely surprised that nobody's done a cargo ship 9/11 yet.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

Stultus Maximus posted:

Genuinely surprised that nobody's done a cargo ship 9/11 yet.

buildings are on land, boats go on water STUPID

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
Ram a tanker into a cruise liner, boom, 9/11 on the seas. Also add some jet fuel or something.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

Mike-o posted:

Ram a tanker into a cruise liner, boom, 9/11 on the seas. Also add some jet fuel or something.

maybe just put a bomb on a cruise ship and if it goes slower than 55mph it blows up??? seems like a simpler way to do this

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

Too many big ships going nearly empty. Got it.

rates, over capacity drives rates down. transpacific rates are at historic lows. ships might be underutilized and shippers can cut sailings in a string in response. steamship lines dont have much ability to extract price from customer.

container shipping is pretty fungible. a ship going from shanghai to la is a ship going form shanghai to la. the biggest difference between lines would be like....price(obviously), the terminals a string calls and how frequently it calls these terminals.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
empty or containers full of future prostitutes whats the diff

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

empty or containers full of future prostitutes whats the diff

a boring time vs a party

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Mike-o posted:

Hijack a tanker, load it with high explosives, drive it into the most populated harbor that can handle its draft and

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Dirty bomb on the East River.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

psydude posted:

We still remember your mother fondly by that name from her Manhattan days

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

MassivelyBuckNegro posted:

ports are turning away hanjin ships. crews are gonna get stuck on board for months off shore while they figure this out.

Hopefully the cargo owners will offer the terminals some guarantees to get the ships unloaded.

On the other hand, those ships are getting arrested wherever they dock, so I can see how nobody would want to be stuck with them around. Definitely sucks for the crews though - best case scenario, they're out of work and owned back wages.

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009

Stultus Maximus posted:

Hijack a tanker, load it with high explosives, drive it into the most populated harbor that can handle its draft and

Forget the high explosives, just load it with a T-Rex

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

psydude posted:

Any bomb that goes in the East River is a dirty bomb.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Vasudus posted:

[img disco stu disco sales]

Disco Stu's fatal flaw was Disco Stu doesn't advertise.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

You fuckers are going to give me nightmares tonight

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
The nsa guy assigned to GiP must be getting annoyed with his google alerts thanks to this page

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
WITH OR WITHOUT PRESIDENTIAL APPROVAL I'M GOING TO KILL THE NEXT PERSON THAT ARRIVES AS A STAR CHILD AND ATTEMPTS TO DETONATE NUCLEAR WEAPONS AND COMMIT MASS DESTRUCTION ON A GLOBAL SCALE gently caress YOU STAR CHILD I DONT CARE IF IT WAS FOR THE GREATER GOOD. ISIS, ISIL, STALIN, LENIN, CHE GUEVARA, KARL MARK, DB COOPER COULDNT DO IT EVEN WITH A GOLD STANDARD AND IT WONT HAPPEN ON MY WATCH. I DONT CARE IF YOURE THE NEW WORLD ORDER, ILLUMINATI, DEMOCRAT, REPUBLICAN, PLA, IRA, THIRD REICH, BRANCH DAVIDIAN, RANDY WEAVER, BARACK OBAMA OR DONALD TRUMP, JUST DONT BE A STAR CHILD WHO CARES

maybe that will raise some flags idk

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
wow hasnt Randy Weaver suffered enough

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
The NSA guy probably just has interns text him if anything actually happens in GiP like someone posting opsec. Or titties. The interns have to forward the titty pics and any links just in case there are titties. Or dongs.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
NSA WIZARD confirm/deny.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Who was it posted opsec poo poo in here? What did he actually post like in a general sense not loving screencaps or whatev

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
I think some navy nuke dude posted possible opsec poo poo about reactors? And maybe someone else did too I can't remember.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Two Finger posted:

Who was it posted opsec poo poo in here? What did he actually post like in a general sense not loving screencaps or whatev

Some vague but still too close for comfort OPLAN-related stuff. The kind of vague things a new idiot might say to show off.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Stultus Maximus posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rw-FbwmzPKo

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
The Gasoline And Dynamite
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Two Finger posted:

The nuke detection guy

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Dude was arrested and held by AF counter intelligence. It basically ruined his career and he spiraled downward into depression before getting a medical discharge. It's been a while, but I'm pretty sure he committed suicide and one of his friends came in here to tell us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

FrozenVent posted:

Hopefully the cargo owners will offer the terminals some guarantees to get the ships unloaded.

On the other hand, those ships are getting arrested wherever they dock, so I can see how nobody would want to be stuck with them around. Definitely sucks for the crews though - best case scenario, they're out of work and owned back wages.

Can definitely suck for crews. I've only recently learnt of the yellow fleet.
Also wasn't there also a few ships stuck in ha long bay after the USA blocked it with minefields during the Vietnam war?

• Locked thread