Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
uninverted
Nov 10, 2011
Maybe a one-of in affinity if you expect to run into burn?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

C-Euro posted:

Why wouldn't they just use the Metalcraft keyword? It's not like they haven't re-used keywords in the past, and it doesn't exactly have a Mirrodin-specific name.

They feel that adding ability words when they're not the main mechanic is complexity creep for new players. Tireless Tracker, despite being the best Landfall card in standard, doesn't say Landfall, for instance.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

mcmagic posted:

Don't trade with kids.

I'll trade with kids, but it's usually for dollar cards, as in I need a dollar card that they don't want, and I'm always careful to weight it in their favor.

I also have a standing policy that the owners of the store are cool with, as are the parents of the kids I trade with: if they're wanting to sell a shock land or a fetch to the store for credit, I'll pay TCG low for the card. The owner of the store knows I'd buy it from the store for that, and the kid gets better value for his card.

I also know a lot of the kids' parents because my wife went to school with them, and they know that I'll back a trade out if the parent feels like it's unfair. I'm not trying to trade 50 one dollar rares for one fifty dollar rare, and I'm not trying to trade up in value.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

C-Euro posted:

Why wouldn't they just use the Metalcraft keyword? It's not like they haven't re-used keywords in the past, and it doesn't exactly have a Mirrodin-specific name.

Ew, that deck doesn't need legitimization.

There are no returning mechanics in kaladesh.

uninverted posted:

If it was non legendary would it be a 4 off in affinity?

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Bugsy posted:

There's no way, affinity runs an extremely low land count and is going to have trouble getting to the 5 and might want to attack with nexii anyway. People don't play that many Sea Gate Wreckage in Affinity either(0-1 generally, looks like), between Darksteel Citadel and the Nexii competition for the colorless-producing land slots is extremely high.

Elyv fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Sep 2, 2016

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Bugsy posted:

No not at all. It's terrible in affinity.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Bugsy posted:

affinity is not in the business of spending 5 mana on things

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Yeah the land base in affinity is pretty much set as-is. Sea gate wreckage is pretty much better than the trickle of lifegain and that doesn't see much play. The Nexuses provide a huge boost to the deck's offense, citadel gives artifacts, and glimmervoid is needed to take care of your random color spells (depending on what package you run).

I'd love if there's actually something good for affinity to come out of the set, but I would say there's a 99% chance that everything's too slow outside of random sideboard stuff in odd metas (like aether grid), and a 1% chance they screw up and print something strong that ends up making them ban stuff out of the deck.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

ThePeavstenator posted:

A 9-year-old kid opened a Liliana from his prize packs from a midweek draft last night and the first words he heard came from the man standing behind him: "What do you value that at?"

Had a guy like this at my store who would try to rip people off. went out of my way to expose him every time.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

AkumaHokoru posted:

Had a guy like this at my store who would try to rip people off. went out of my way to expose him every time.

Every shark I've encountered has been really bad at the game too. I don't know if that's coincidence

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

anglachel posted:

Is it Vintage or Legacy playable?

Probably not.

anglachel
May 28, 2012

uninverted posted:

Others have stated it's bad but to give you a bet more context. In the Burn versus Affinity matchup, Burn will play as the control deck and send the lightning bolts to shoot down Affinity's creatures and hope they choke out after they empty their hand. They then swing in with their own creatures to try and win. Further gaining 1 life per turn is not gonna help you beat a deck that likes to burst damage all at once.

alansmithee posted:

Yeah the land base in affinity is pretty much set as-is. Sea gate wreckage is pretty much better than the trickle of lifegain and that doesn't see much play. The Nexuses provide a huge boost to the deck's offense, citadel gives artifacts, and glimmervoid is needed to take care of your random color spells (depending on what package you run).

I'd love if there's actually something good for affinity to come out of the set, but I would say there's a 99% chance that everything's too slow outside of random sideboard stuff in odd metas (like aether grid), and a 1% chance they screw up and print something strong that ends up making them ban stuff out of the deck.

Something to replace Steel Overseer seems possible? Overseer is very strong, but it seems almost too slow for affinity.

We might also see a White/X Metalcraft deck. Especially if they print something like a 0/1 that puts a 1/1 thopter into play or something in white or something.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

ThePeavstenator posted:

Every shark I've encountered has been really bad at the game too. I don't know if that's coincidence

oh he was quite atrocious. he was one of those guys who netdecked but swore it was a homebrew. he would then proceed to misplay the gently caress out of the deck when he wasnt outright cheating by trying to act really fast and hope you dont call him on it. if you did he would argue it. super douche. all the time.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
Morph is a special action and not an activated ability, right?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Molybdenum posted:

Morph is a special action and not an activated ability, right?

Correct

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Bugsy posted:

There are no returning mechanics in kaladesh.

assemble :speculate:

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

my name's raspy and i'm here to say
a land that gains life and tutors is good in a major way

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

It's difficult to say if it'll be playable in standard when the only playable artifacts we'll have left in the format are a couple of clue makers, but it should be good if Kaladesh delivers there. Especially if it has more cards in the 'double thopter token' genre.

Captain Capitalism
Jul 28, 2009

I'm fairly certain a set where 100% of the cards spoiled so far care about artifacts won't have any artifacts in it, so the Inventor's Fair will just be trash.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Captain Capitalism posted:

I'm fairly certain a set where 100% of the cards spoiled so far care about artifacts won't have any artifacts in it, so the Inventor's Fair will just be trash.

I'm speccing in bronze sables because of this post. I can't lose!

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

Irony Be My Shield posted:

It's difficult to say if it'll be playable in standard when the only playable artifacts we'll have left in the format are a couple of clue makers, but it should be good if Kaladesh delivers there. Especially if it has more cards in the 'double thopter token' genre.

Pilgrim's Eye has been pretty popular in emerge decks too.

Mouth Ze Dong
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.
"Control decks might use this land to 2-3 life per turn for the small cost of a crappier mana base.

But gently caress control decks, make it legendary! Viva la combate criatura"

- Fun Hating Game Designers

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Giving control that much effectively free lifegain would be kind of really, really miserable. As it is, assuming we get some artifacts that control wants on the board, they'll be able to set it, get some life to take the edge off of any aggro, and then pull up their finisher when they think they're ready for it.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

It is a very good thing that that land is legendary.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Procrastinator posted:

Pilgrim's Eye has been pretty popular in emerge decks too.

If you are sacking a land to get a pilgrims eye...which gets you a basic, what kind of deck are you playing.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

GoutPatrol posted:

If you are sacking a land to get a pilgrims eye...which gets you a basic, what kind of deck are you playing.

it's more about actually getting metalcraft :ssh:

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

I'm dreading every decent spoiled artifact being given the "good enough for affinity?" treatment.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

ShaneB posted:

I'm dreading every decent spoiled artifact being given the "good enough for affinity?" treatment.

Are you saying that Lupine Prototype wasn't actually good enough for affinity???

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Is it me or does the aether revolt set icon look awfully Nicol Bolas-y

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

JOHN CENA posted:

That would make it make sense for why we're then going to a Bolas controlled plane the block after.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

JOHN CENA posted:

Looks like a lotus flower to me

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

lazerwolf posted:

Looks like a lotus flower to me

black lotus reprint confirmed

actually "Nicol Bolas's Lotuses" would be a sweet card and a great tongue twister.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Hellsau posted:

black lotus reprint confirmed

actually "Nicol Bolas's Lotuses" would be a sweet card and a great tongue twister.

Nichol Bolas's Lotuses - 0
Artifact
T, sac: add 3 mana of any color to your pool, at the beginning of your next upkeep you lose the game

and then ad nauseum becomes the most broken deck in modern

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

ThePeavstenator posted:

Nichol Bolas's Lotuses - 0
Artifact
T, sac: add 3 mana of any color to your pool, at the beginning of your next upkeep you lose the game

and then ad nauseum becomes the most broken deck in modern

this in storm
ooooooh baby

make it "beginning of the next upkeep" so it doesn't play as nicely with angel's grace

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
The Kaladesh and Aether Revolt set symbols are inspired by Indian decorative art.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Sigma-X posted:

this in storm
ooooooh baby

make it "beginning of the next upkeep" so it doesn't play as nicely with angel's grace

Wouldn't it play just as nice, if not better, with Grace if printed like that? Cast Grace during your opponent's turn, nullify the trigger, and then you're guaranteed to get a turn with whatever monstrosity you've put together.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Kaladesh show starting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFvJyR97Mic

Captain Capitalism
Jul 28, 2009

That trailer looks really pretty.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Trains are cool.

Makes the "no guns" policy a bit silly, but Kaladesh is hitting me well already.

EDIT: Races are cool too. Liking the dorfs.

Serperoth fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Sep 2, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
holy lmao gremlins

Saheeli Rai looks loving incredible, actually

Jen X fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Sep 2, 2016

• Locked thread