Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
To drain all of Hino-Enma's ki do you have to just hope she doesn't do her spin attack, make a yokai circle, and regen like 30% of her bar? Because it seems impossible otherwise(at least with Dual Swords). And aside from that, any tips for her? I know how to block/dodge all of her attacks it's just that she has very small openings for you to attack and she whittles my health down faster than I whittle down hers. I guess I just need to Git Gud?

EDIT: Also I've read that there's two wall mimics in the caves level but I can only find one(right after the 2nd shrine). Where's the other?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I think you can hit her during a specific part of her grab to drain it all instantly.

The second wall guy is at the end of the series of rooms behind the not locked door you open before the first shortcut.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

If you want to drain her Ki you need to be using attacks that do high Ki damage (e.g. the roundhouse kick for the spear takes off like a quarter), Ki pulse as soon as she makes a Yokai field to limit her regen, and generally just be really aggressive.

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009

Yodzilla posted:

Vampire pro tip: just loving let her do her thing and attack during her cooldowns. Her stun moves are crap but just give her room and learn timing and you can let her flail around as much as she wants.

But yo it's hot loving poo poo that when you go to fight that Unmatched Warrior there's no shrine so WHOOPS if you can't beat him there goes all your souls.

Himorogi branches are super common drops and you can carry like 10 of them, just get your grave and leave if you cant win.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Yodzilla posted:

The bats are so cheap, goofy, and bad looking I really can't be mad at them.

The goofy slipping off the cliff animation makes me crack up everytime I have a gravity based death. Apparently you can recover during it and not fall to your death.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

yeah you can do a roll out of it, saved my life a shameful amount of times

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Shooting enma in the air takes a huge chunk out of her ki. Shurikens work too.

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

RatHat posted:

To drain all of Hino-Enma's ki do you have to just hope she doesn't do her spin attack, make a yokai circle, and regen like 30% of her bar? Because it seems impossible otherwise(at least with Dual Swords). And aside from that, any tips for her? I know how to block/dodge all of her attacks it's just that she has very small openings for you to attack and she whittles my health down faster than I whittle down hers. I guess I just need to Git Gud?

EDIT: Also I've read that there's two wall mimics in the caves level but I can only find one(right after the 2nd shrine). Where's the other?

There's also a buff that you can cast on yourself to get rid of yokai realm automatically while increasing your own ki regen. Highly recommend it.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Agh I understand why the beta requires a connection but it's a bummer not being able to play with PSN down right now. Really want to beat it before the 6th and maybe start over with a new build and go all-in on Ninjitsu

edit: oh I posted something about how the weapon skill passives in here earlier and it turns out I was wrong. other than the stuff that actually mentions weapon types (like the passive +10% damage against Yokai with Axes) you don't need to have a weapon equipped to benefit from the passive skills in each weapon tree. so you can keep your +ki bonus without using a katana or +life without using an axe or whatever, and some of them are pretty handy considering how quickly the Samurai skill points roll in -- +100 life is the equivalent of like 3 levels worth of points in the associated stat.

goferchan fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Sep 2, 2016

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Agnostalgia posted:

Himorogi branches are super common drops and you can carry like 10 of them, just get your grave and leave if you cant win.

Yeah that's what I was told but after playing all of the non-twilight content I still don't have one. :saddowns:

RIP those souls.

Phantasium posted:

I think you can hit her during a specific part of her grab to drain it all instantly.

Is that what that was? Yeah one time for seemingly no reason I hit her and she went loving flying through the air and crumpled to the ground.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

RatHat posted:

one's in the room with the boss zombie iirc. The other is a bit further down (I think you found the second one).

For Hino-enma I used the high stance axe and the dodge/ki pulse to clear the pools.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
I wonder if the full game lets you earn skill points as quickly as the beta. I kinda hope so because learning how to use them is way more valuable and fun than just unlocking the abilities.

Also for the passives that you can unlock for each branch, do they always apply even if you're not using whatever weapon they're under?

And I'm a little shocked at how easy those fire wheel dudes are.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

Yodzilla posted:

I wonder if the full game lets you earn skill points as quickly as the beta. I kinda hope so because learning how to use them is way more valuable and fun than just unlocking the abilities.

Also for the passives that you can unlock for each branch, do they always apply even if you're not using whatever weapon they're under?

And I'm a little shocked at how easy those fire wheel dudes are.

I figure it's gotta be slower. You'd max everything out within like 3-4 levels otherwise.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I beat all the bosses with Dual-Swords so I restarted to do a Spear build instead. And holy poo poo do Spears feel broken.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Spite posted:

I figure it's gotta be slower. You'd max everything out within like 3-4 levels otherwise.

I'm pretty sure that the amount of Amrita from alpha to beta has been toned down, so I can see them lowering other stuff too.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Or adjusting upwards how much XP it takes to level.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I'm hoping you get skill points at the same rate at release (the locks of hair give up to 5 skill points!) but that there's going to be so many skills it'll be impossible to max everything

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i hope there are enough skills for each stance to have a solid choice of what combo ender you want.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Lakbay posted:

I'm hoping you get skill points at the same rate at release (the locks of hair give up to 5 skill points!) but that there's going to be so many skills it'll be impossible to max everything

Yeah there's gotta be more skills. The customization menu doesn't have much purpose otherwise(There are only a handful of skills in the beta that use the same input).

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.
Posting this because I can't actually tell if these weird japanese people are being sarcastic about it or not:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtCZGfYGJFc&t=3467s

"We're hoping for a less than 40... 30? Less than 30% clear rate on the upcoming demo" (the beta)

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

RatHat posted:

Yeah there's gotta be more skills. The customization menu doesn't have much purpose otherwise(There are only a handful of skills in the beta that use the same input).

Well there's the entire 4th tier of skills that aren't in the game at the moment. Muneshige also uses a lot of stuff the player can't - which I suspect is tier 4 stuff.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
From the tooltips it sounds like skills are going to be locked behind some sort of training in each category (notice how skills say stuff like Requires: Novice and you start the game as a Veteran in everything) -- it sounds like you'll start the full game as a Novice in each of the skill trees and have to find people to train you so you'll have access to higher-tier skills.

edit: also correct me if I'm wrong but you can't get your Guardian Spirits past level 1 in the Beta, right? I'm curious how that leveling process is gonna work and how many of those guys there are to collect. They each provide a pretty distinct set of bonuses in the demo and that system seems really fun in general; I hope there are a ton of different Legendary Japanese Pokémon in the full game.

goferchan fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Sep 3, 2016

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Not sure I like the twilight bosses that are just the same with adds thrown in. Feels kind of cheap and lovely honestly!

Also I think they need to up the damage on ground attacks. If you go through the effort of getting someone on the ground your reward should be an attack that does more damage than a normal goddamn sword swing. As it stands now an enemy being grounded is almost good for them because they can't take a lot of damage and they pop back up ready to attack with all their Ki. Whoops!

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
Grounded enemy, at least when it's because they're out of ki, is a punishment for mashing after a stamina-breaking attack. The standing grapple is much stronger (at least when you're not doing the Quickdraw thing), so you're encouraged to immediately stop attacking after a stamina break so you don't knock your enemy down. I like that, it rewards you for paying attention to the enemy ki bar.

Agreed on Twilight Bosses sucking though. Mooks aren't fun in these boss fights. But then, just giving them more health or damage isn't good either because that's boring it and breaks the heavy armor style of gameplay if you just get one-shot.

DatonKallandor fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Sep 3, 2016

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Yodzilla posted:

Not sure I like the twilight bosses that are just the same with adds thrown in. Feels kind of cheap and lovely honestly!

Also I think they need to up the damage on ground attacks. If you go through the effort of getting someone on the ground your reward should be an attack that does more damage than a normal goddamn sword swing. As it stands now an enemy being grounded is almost good for them because they can't take a lot of damage and they pop back up ready to attack with all their Ki. Whoops!

The critical attacks do more damage if you do them while the enemy is standing, I've noticed. The one you do when they've face planted does less I think because you have a decent window where you can hit them with regular attacks before doing the critical, which has the potential for even more damage.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Don't forget to add your 2 cents

http://www.gamecity.ne.jp/form/nioh_b_us

switch the us to uk for Europe

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
It's also worth noting that if you drop attack an enemy it will almost always knock them down and give you a chance impale them. It's a short window though, so of you do some other action you miss your chance.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Drop attacks own.

Also it still shocks me that I'm playing a melee action game with ranged combat worth a drat. I love headshotting dudes in Nioh.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
I like how drop attacks have a fairly generous hitbox. It was kind of risky to use them in Dark Souls because you'd be left wide open if you missed.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Yodzilla posted:

Drop attacks own.

Also it still shocks me that I'm playing a melee action game with ranged combat worth a drat. I love headshotting dudes in Nioh.

please ask for 2 handed aim/fire to return in the survey so that it is even better.
the new controls are a huge step back imo

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

All they need to do is put aim back on L2, then make the item toggle on R2 and make it not work while you're aiming. And then you can select ammo types with the face buttons while holding L2.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Phantasium posted:

All they need to do is put aim back on L2, then make the item toggle on R2 and make it not work while you're aiming. And then you can select ammo types with the face buttons while holding L2.

fuggin genius mang
put it in the survey

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Speaking of the item goggle button, I wish you held it down to have temporary use of the secondary set instead of a toggle. I keep switching to it and forgetting I did then I'm stuck wondering why my elixir won't work.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Broseph Brostar posted:

Speaking of the item goggle button, I wish you held it down to have temporary use of the secondary set instead of a toggle. I keep switching to it and forgetting I did then I'm stuck wondering why my elixir won't work.

same. so much spilled salt

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Broseph Brostar posted:

I just keep Elixir in the top slot of both sets for that very reason.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Real hurthling! posted:

please ask for 2 handed aim/fire to return in the survey so that it is even better.
the new controls are a huge step back imo

Wait what was it before?

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

I was playing through this game, second level, not really enjoying it? It seems really fast for how lethal it is, and my reflexes aren't very good. Also completely hating the inventory, loot and skill system.

Then I get to the vampire boss and I just can't react in time to avoid most of its attacks, and I die about... 30-40 times? So I summon a dude, and together we completely trivialize it because he has some sort of fire-shower thing.

And then the game crashes halfway through the cutscene afterwards, and when I reload the game the boss is alive again. I think I'm done.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Did you try getting good?? :xd:

For real when I get stuck I spend some time dueling phantoms and I usually end up a little smarter about gameplay systems and with better loot. Not saying it's for everyone but I've been right there with frustration and got over it.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Yodzilla posted:

Did you try getting good?? :xd:

For real when I get stuck I spend some time dueling phantoms and I usually end up a little smarter about gameplay systems and with better loot. Not saying it's for everyone but I've been right there with frustration and got over it.

I'm not sure how good you would have to be to prevent the game from crashing, but I'm definitely not getting there in three days.

I'm not sure how much dueling phantoms would help, since like 75% of the enemies seem to be demons which, as far as I can tell, ignore a lot of gameplay mechanics or use them differently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm still trucking through the cave, but those two cyclops with the long tongues at the end of the field level were some intense poo poo. Reminded me of a gargoyle bossfight for from DS but without the easy headstart.