Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Got the last cards for my Modern Junk list today, hopefully testing it out at FNM this week :woop:

Deck: Junk Beatdown

//Lands
2 Forest
2 Gavony Township
2 Godless Shrine
1 Hissing Quagmire
3 Marsh Flats
4 Overgrown Tomb
1 Plains
1 Shambling Vent
1 Stirring Wildwood
1 Swamp
2 Temple Garden
4 Windswept Heath

//Spells
2 Abrupt Decay
1 Garruk Wildspeaker
4 Lingering Souls
1 Maelstrom Pulse
1 Painful Truths
4 Path to Exile
1 Sorin, Solemn Visitor

//Creatures
4 Birds of Paradise
4 Kitchen Finks
2 Qasali Pridemage
3 Scavenging Ooze
4 Siege Rhino
1 Thrun, the Last Troll
4 Voice of Resurgence

//Sideboard
1 Abrupt Decay
2 Dismember
1 Gaddock Teeg
1 Linvala, Keeper of Silence
1 Maelstrom Pulse
1 Painful Truths
1 Qasali Pridemage
1 Spellskite
2 Stony Silence
3 Thoughtseize
1 Zealous Persecution

Display deck statistics

Manabase is admittedly a little weird because it's a combination of stuff I already have and me not knowing which manland(s) are best, but other than that I'm pretty happy. SB is pretty general because I don't have a consistent picture of the local meta yet, and I kind of want to put the Thoughtseizes MB but it's supposed to be a more creature-focused build so I dunno. Maybe once (if?) I pick up the Goyfs and LotVs to make actual Junk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
One suggestion I'll make is that once you learn your local meta, if it's got lots of breach decks or nahiri decks, basically anything that runs anger and bolt as removal, try Loxodon Smiter in place of kitchen finks.

Hope you don't have a lot of tron. I'll tell you a fun card I've discovered for the tron matchup since we last discussed the deck: Obzedat, Ghost Council. They're required to have an O Stone to deal with it, just keep your paths for ulamog and Wurmcoil engine. No one expects it and it's been kinda great lately.

Also try a westvale abbey sometime! Dunno if I mentioned that last time but that card is fun and synergistic with your death triggers and token producing cards.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Fingers McLongDong posted:

One suggestion I'll make is that once you learn your local meta, if it's got lots of breach decks or nahiri decks, basically anything that runs anger and bolt as removal, try Loxodon Smiter in place of kitchen finks.

Hope you don't have a lot of tron. I'll tell you a fun card I've discovered for the tron matchup since we last discussed the deck: Obzedat, Ghost Council. They're required to have an O Stone to deal with it, just keep your paths for ulamog and Wurmcoil engine. No one expects it and it's been kinda great lately.

Also try a westvale abbey sometime! Dunno if I mentioned that last time but that card is fun and synergistic with your death triggers and token producing cards.

Smiter was on my shortlist of "cheap cards to pick up and play around with" along with Wilt-Leaf Liege. There's a decent amount of U Tron locally but I don't think I've seen RG Tron yet, I used to have a Obz lying around somewhere but at least it's cheap. Westvale Abbey will come in once I figure out how I want the manabase to look, for examplee the four Overgrow Tombs aren't optimal but I had them before beginning the deck (same with the Marsh Flats with no Catacombs) so I rolled with those.

E: Notable decks I have seen/gone up against locally-
UR Pyro Delver
GW Midrange
BW Eldrazi Taxes
Affinity
BTL Scapeshift
U Tron (multiple)
G Stompy
UWR Control
UWR Kiki-Resto
Living End
Goblins
RG Zoo-ish
RUG Midrange?

The crowd varies pretty heavily between each FNM, the only person I remember going up against more than once in the last few months is the guy on Affinity.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Sep 1, 2016

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I feel like with no 1 mana discard main and no lilis you're going to get torn apart by fast combo.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Have you thought about Abzan Charm over Painful Truths as a singleton? It doesn't draw as well, but it's an instant that also bring a lot of versatility. It can be removal when you need it to for some problematic creatures and you'll probably even get fringe value out of the Zoidberg mode by resetting a Finks or something.

Voyager I fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Sep 1, 2016

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

mehall posted:

This is what I'm looking to move into, from my current version of Nic Fit, since I feel like I can lose some of the midrange easy-wins as I feel I'm strong enough against the aggro decks I'm facing.
Combo is basically a wash for this deck, I hope they don't have it, and hope I draw some hate post-SB, so trying to find where i can gain against the control decks has been key, and this deck plays super sweet.

Thoughts?
(Other than "replace your temple garden with a savannah, and get more ABU duals!")

Comedy suggestion: slip a copy of False Prophet into the 75

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Elyv posted:

I feel like with no 1 mana discard main and no lilis you're going to get torn apart by fast combo.

That's why I want the Thoughtseizes MB, that and a severe lack of T1 plays (but maybe the deck doesn't need to always hit something T1). But like I said, from what I've experienced the meta is fairly "swing with dudes" heavy so I'll have to see how often I SB in discard. Inquisition would probably be good in that spot too but I dumped mine, maybe I'll pick them up again if they get cheap enough.

Voyager I posted:

Have you thought about Abzan Charm over Painful Truths as a singleton? It doesn't draw as well, but it's an instant that also bring a lot of versatility. It can be removal when you need it to for some problematic creatures and you'll probably even get fringe value out of the Zoidberg mode by resetting a Finks or something.

No but I've seen a couple decks run them, I'll check it out.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

C-Euro posted:

Got the last cards for my Modern Junk list today, hopefully testing it out at FNM this week :woop:

Deck: Junk Beatdown

//Lands
2 Forest
2 Gavony Township
2 Godless Shrine
1 Hissing Quagmire
3 Marsh Flats
4 Overgrown Tomb
1 Plains
1 Shambling Vent
1 Stirring Wildwood
1 Swamp
2 Temple Garden
4 Windswept Heath

//Spells
2 Abrupt Decay
1 Garruk Wildspeaker
4 Lingering Souls
1 Maelstrom Pulse
1 Painful Truths
4 Path to Exile
1 Sorin, Solemn Visitor

//Creatures
4 Birds of Paradise
4 Kitchen Finks
2 Qasali Pridemage
3 Scavenging Ooze
4 Siege Rhino
1 Thrun, the Last Troll
4 Voice of Resurgence

//Sideboard
1 Abrupt Decay
2 Dismember
1 Gaddock Teeg
1 Linvala, Keeper of Silence
1 Maelstrom Pulse
1 Painful Truths
1 Qasali Pridemage
1 Spellskite
2 Stony Silence
3 Thoughtseize
1 Zealous Persecution

Display deck statistics

Manabase is admittedly a little weird because it's a combination of stuff I already have and me not knowing which manland(s) are best, but other than that I'm pretty happy. SB is pretty general because I don't have a consistent picture of the local meta yet, and I kind of want to put the Thoughtseizes MB but it's supposed to be a more creature-focused build so I dunno. Maybe once (if?) I pick up the Goyfs and LotVs to make actual Junk.

I don't like 4x Finks in the MB of decks that aren't trying to combo off with it. This deck is just way more fair than anything I would want to be doing in Modern.... Also Noble is just strictly better than Birds in this kind of deck.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

strictly better has been called

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

strictly better has been called

It's like how Lava Spike is strictly better than Lightning Bolt because you can't accidentally target your opponent's 2/3 Tarmogoyf.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

suicidesteve posted:

It's like how Lava Spike is strictly better than Lightning Bolt because you can't accidentally target your opponent's 2/3 Tarmogoyf.

I think you mean "can't have it redirected by your opponents Spellskite"

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Man I proxied up Shardless BUG and holy moly is it fun. My wife would murder me for the cost of this deck though, holy poo poo. :psypop:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

mcmagic posted:

Also Noble is just strictly better than Birds in this kind of deck.

I know, but one is $7 and the other is ~$50 :( Those are also on the list of eventual splurges.

Is Dromoka's Command worthwhile in Modern? I have a copy of that lying around and am tempted to throw it in the SB since every mode is useful here.

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011

C-Euro posted:

Is Dromoka's Command worthwhile in Modern? I have a copy of that lying around and am tempted to throw it in the SB since every mode is useful here.

Abrupt decay is way better.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

uninverted posted:

Abrupt decay is way better.

They're not even the same thing, other than costing 2. Abrupt Decay is generally better if you're looking at removal, yeah, but d-command has some hypothetical uses. Maindeck anger of the gods is somewhat expected these days, plus it can reset a kitchen finks. If the deck is creature dense it's probably good enough as a removal spell against certain decks like affinity. If your deck only uses black as a small splash then d-command might be better to have if you're worried about blood moon. All depends on what he expects to see locally.

Normally I agree about decay but just saying something is better when they're two very different cards without any discussion isn't super helpful. That said, if you're just lookin for removal and mana isn't a problem, decay is the safest answer.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Lava Spike is better than Abrupt Decay or Dromoka's Command anyway.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Fingers McLongDong posted:

They're not even the same thing, other than costing 2. Abrupt Decay is generally better if you're looking at removal, yeah, but d-command has some hypothetical uses. Maindeck anger of the gods is somewhat expected these days, plus it can reset a kitchen finks. If the deck is creature dense it's probably good enough as a removal spell against certain decks like affinity. If your deck only uses black as a small splash then d-command might be better to have if you're worried about blood moon. All depends on what he expects to see locally.

Normally I agree about decay but just saying something is better when they're two very different cards without any discussion isn't super helpful. That said, if you're just lookin for removal and mana isn't a problem, decay is the safest answer.

Anger insurance + Finks renewal is mainly what I had in mind, yeah. Again though, I'm not sure what to expect so I'm going kind of general for the time being to feel things out (I also put the Thoughtseizes MB and moved a Finks, Ooze, and Path to the SB)

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

C-Euro posted:

Anger insurance + Finks renewal is mainly what I had in mind, yeah. Again though, I'm not sure what to expect so I'm going kind of general for the time being to feel things out (I also put the Thoughtseizes MB and moved a Finks, Ooze, and Path to the SB)

Local nights are the best nights to try new cards for sure. You never know what works until you give it a spin. I was goofing off at locals for 2 weeks with the most GW deck ever just because a friend made fun of me for saying I liked Advent of the Wurm when it was in standard, and I had fun using Dromoka's command. I think it has potential as a modern sideboard card in the right deck, especially if breach and nahiri decks get popular where you are.

If I didn't want to practice for an IQ next weekend I'd probably sleeve some Advents back up and have some fun again, I loved the voice/smiter/advent standard deck.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

C-Euro posted:

If you want more mana dorks to make T1 more productive and power out your Rhinos faster., I think Arbor Elf is the go-to budget option for decks that already run Birds and aren't willing to shell out for Hierarch. They're definitely not as good, but they perform the job and can make your colors as long as you have shocklands out.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Voyager I posted:

If you want more mana dorks to make T1 more productive and power out your Rhinos faster., I think Arbor Elf is the go-to budget option for decks that already run Birds and aren't willing to shell out for Hierarch. They're definitely not as good, but they perform the job and can make your colors as long as you have shocklands out.

FWIW, I use Avacyn's Pilgrim as my budget-hierarch of choice. Fixes your colours almost as well as hierarch, and you can play non-fetch/shock lands to save on life without worrying about turning off your mana dorks.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Question for Dredge players: how happy are you when your opponent is playing Living End?

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

C-Euro posted:

I used to try it in Bogles but most of the time I just wanted Path. Hatebears I could see it being in the SB for something but it is not the best option.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

I played against a Junk player who ran 2 of them to protect against sweepers and to combo with his Rhino's, Goyfs, and 1-of Kalitas.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Star Man posted:

Question for Dredge players: how happy are you when your opponent is playing Living End?

extremely irritated, because I have Insolent Neonates and other awful cards in my deck

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

ThePeavstenator posted:

I played against a Junk player who ran 2 of them to protect against sweepers and to combo with his Rhino's, Goyfs, and 1-of Kalitas.

That seems awful.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

mcmagic posted:

That seems awful.

you're not wrong, except he did go EOT +1/+1 his goyf, fight my goyf, untap swing through my other goyf which was kind of brutal.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Star Man posted:

Witness the power of my 4 12/12 grave trolls

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C

ThePeavstenator posted:

you're not wrong, except he did go EOT +1/+1 his goyf, fight my goyf, untap swing through my other goyf which was kind of brutal.

Junk vs. jund is like 60/40 in favor of junk. Lingering souls and rhino are tough to beat with 1 for 1 removal and liliana.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Molybdenum posted:

Junk vs. jund is like 60/40 in favor of junk. Lingering souls and rhino are tough to beat with 1 for 1 removal and liliana.

I took 4 from spirit tokens with a Maelstrom Pulse in my hand, waiting for him to flash back lingering souls to get all 4. When he finally did flash it back he responded with Restoration Angel :negative:

Still won!

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

I think this is playable in modern, and I wonder about Legacy elves as well. 4 cmc is a lot but the potential synergy with sylvan library is pretty nuts.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

It's a 4 mana creature that dies to bolt for no value, it's not getting anywhere near modern.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

seems funny out of the sideboard of enchantress, but other than that I don't see it. bug nic fit with pod maybe but i've already listed off two joke decks

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Tim Raines IRL posted:

I think this is playable in modern, and I wonder about Legacy elves as well. 4 cmc is a lot but the potential synergy with sylvan library is pretty nuts.

This isn't getting out of EDH.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
Savage summoning into that lady while i held up cryptic on your turn. What up

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

mcmagic posted:

This isn't getting out of EDH.

even in edh its kinda risky. its a hold till mid/late game

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Woof, 0-2 drop at Modern FNM with only one game won between them. Round 1 was Jund where I took game 1, but games 2 & 3 the guy knew what he was doing better than I did. Round 2 was against Modern Pox which felt unwinnable; game 1 he emptied my hand early on with The Rack and Shrieking Affliction in play, game 2 he hit a T3 Ensnaring Bridge and I never drew the Abrupt Decay I needed (I also boarded out my Thoughtseizes like a dummy after being blindsided by the 6 life/turn drain game 1). Inquisitions would have been nice to have there, likewise with Smiters and Wilt-Leaf Lieges. Growing pains I guess, just gotta get in the reps and figure out what I'm actually doing.

Jund player stuck T2 Grim Flayer games 2 & 3, and in talking to him after our match he said it was his favorite card in the whole deck. To quote, "I wouldn't be playing Jund if I couldn't run it". He had Baubles in the deck but said they weren't necessary. Anyone else tried running Flayers in BGx, and what do you think?

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Sep 3, 2016

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
I like the idea of them in abzan a lot, although they pair best with tarmogoyf obviously. Filtering draws while dumping lingering souls in the yard seems great. You can also run maindeck nihil spellbomb as a playable artifact instead of mishra's bauble to add to delirium and goyf power.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Flayer is better in Abzan imo because they have a lot more expensive spells compared to Jund and Dark Confidant is gonna hurt a lot more. Grim Flayer lets Abzan fix its draws and also mill Lingering Souls. In Jund I'd rather just have the Bob because I want to drop my 2-drop on turn 2 and have it be good.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Since I have basically everything for Junk already and Kaladesh is bringing enemy fastlands I figured I'd give it a shot. Is thoughtseize going to be a 4-of in this deck with all the lifegain and the new fastlands? I'm thinking of trying 4 thoughtseize, 1 inquisition, and 1 collective brutality instead of the usual 3/3 split.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

ThePeavstenator posted:

Since I have basically everything for Junk already and Kaladesh is bringing enemy fastlands I figured I'd give it a shot. Is thoughtseize going to be a 4-of in this deck with all the lifegain and the new fastlands? I'm thinking of trying 4 thoughtseize, 1 inquisition, and 1 collective brutality instead of the usual 3/3 split.

I think 3/3 and 2 brutality is going to be industry standard. The split now is usually 4/2 inquisitions.