Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

teenytinymouse posted:

People who build a personality around being like the edgy one or the one who's an rear end in a top hat or the sarcastic person are so hard to like. Or the LOGICAL person to bring that back round to what made me think of it

Be a whole person you dork

Be a NICE whole person, people like nice people!!!!

I think I mentioned it way back but my least favorite is the sassy one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Henchman of Santa posted:

I think I mentioned it way back but my least favorite is the sassy one.

*sighs and peels off his "Sarcasm: Just One of Many Services I Offer" t-shirt*

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Another one - every Sunday I get a burger from Burger King. I recently moved and the closest one here always makes their customers in the drive through pull up and out of the way after paying, bringing out your food like five minutes later. I'm almost certain this is to artificially reduce their recorded order-to-served times.

It's not anything upsetting but it is annoying.

lavaca
Jun 11, 2010
Summer peeve: people who insist upon joining a hike or bike ride despite being completely unable to keep up with the group (and knowing it). No, it is not a benefit to me that I get an excuse to rest at every junction because you can barely make it up the slightest incline. If you think the trip we've planned is too difficult, you need to be the person to plan the next one.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

lavaca posted:

Summer peeve: people who insist upon joining a hike or bike ride despite being completely unable to keep up with the group (and knowing it). No, it is not a benefit to me that I get an excuse to rest at every junction because you can barely make it up the slightest incline. If you think the trip we've planned is too difficult, you need to be the person to plan the next one.

If you know you can't I definitely agree, but for a lot of work hikes the organisers always heavily downplay the difficulty. So you have a bunch of mostly out of shape scientists agreeing to come on the "easy hike, should only take a couple hours" which ends up being an all day thing with like a mile (ok maybe not that much but several hundred meters typically) in elevation change and it always goes terribly.

To be fair, they are pretty easy hikes IF you hike long distances regularly and aren't bogged down by people stopping to take photos and rest every 5 minutes. I get the sentiment that they want everyone to feel included but every year there are people who say if they had known how hard it would be they wouldn't have come. Either be honest or pick something that's at the true "a frail 80 year old could do this without dying" beginner level.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

Tarantula posted:

People who want a green lawn in places that just don't normally allow it, my town is not only suffering high unemployment but a drought to boot, we have so little water in our local dam we have to pump water from the next one over, despite this there is still a huge problem with people wasting water trying to keep their precious loving lawn green. I've never been able to wrap my head around it, yes a green lawn does look better than a brown one, but if you want green you shouldn't live in loving dry part of Australia you twats.

This is a big issue in So California, where our drought is in full swing and not leaving anytime soon. Don't have a green lawn? Either get rocks for your yard or get a $1000/day fine. The fact that we live in the middle of the gotdamned Mojave Desert never seems to occur to people. We're both allergic to grass, so we put in a stone courtyard and an area of gravel. My Dad insisted on having a green lawn, then bitched because his water bill was $400/month.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Khazar-khum posted:

This is a big issue in So California, where our drought is in full swing and not leaving anytime soon. Don't have a green lawn? Either get rocks for your yard or get a $1000/day fine. The fact that we live in the middle of the gotdamned Mojave Desert never seems to occur to people. We're both allergic to grass, so we put in a stone courtyard and an area of gravel. My Dad insisted on having a green lawn, then bitched because his water bill was $400/month.

You'd get fined for not having a green lawn in a drought?

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Geokinesis posted:

You'd get fined for not having a green lawn in a drought?

Welcome to the wonderful world of Home Owner Associations.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Indolent Bastard posted:

Welcome to the wonderful world of Home Owner Associations.

I thought with the massive drought the past few years the legislature passed a law making all those local and HOA mandatory green lawn rules/fees illegal?

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Danger Mahoney posted:

Another one - every Sunday I get a burger from Burger King. I recently moved and the closest one here always makes their customers in the drive through pull up and out of the way after paying, bringing out your food like five minutes later. I'm almost certain this is to artificially reduce their recorded order-to-served times.

It's not anything upsetting but it is annoying.

Complain about that to corporate BK, they'll fire the entire staff if they're doing what you think they are

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

HEY SUBSCRIBE TO OUR NEWSLETTER 3 nanoseconds after I open a website.

No.

I just put in abuse@(domain) as the address now.

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

I'm Shannon and I'm the biggest Idiot Ever!

Sites that don't let you paste voucher codes I had like 12 built up and had to have bf call them out to me like a loving barbarian :argh:

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Short repeating hold loops. I have been on hold for about an hour and the music / "your call is very important to us and we will ignore it forever" repeats every minute or so. I may soon be driven to violence.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.

Khazar-khum posted:

water bill was $400/month.

drat, that's slightly more than my monthly mortgage payments. I have heard that there has been a struggle with water availability in the southwest, but goddamn that is horrible.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

docbeard posted:

Short repeating hold loops. I have been on hold for about an hour and the music / "your call is very important to us and we will ignore it forever" repeats every minute or so. I may soon be driven to violence.

This.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

docbeard posted:

Agreed, mostly because every time they cut in with the latter my brain registers it as "hey pal pay attention you might finally get to talk to a human being!"

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe
That stupid goddamned "fw-TING" noise that facebook messenger makes. It's like nails down a chalkboard to me and I don't know why.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Intoluene posted:

That stupid goddamned "fw-TING" noise that facebook messenger makes. It's like nails down a chalkboard to me and I don't know why.

Same but the default whistle text tone on Samsung phones.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

When you're sharpening a pencil, and the point breaks mid-sharpen, so you have to sharpen it AGAIN and pray it doesn't break again...

Repeat until I had to throw the drat pencil away, and that was my day on Friday. :argh: I dunno if it's caused by lovely sharpeners or cheapo pencils, but it suuuuuuuucks.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Silver Falcon posted:

When you're sharpening a pencil, and the point breaks mid-sharpen, so you have to sharpen it AGAIN and pray it doesn't break again...

Repeat until I had to throw the drat pencil away, and that was my day on Friday. :argh: I dunno if it's caused by lovely sharpeners or cheapo pencils, but it suuuuuuuucks.

Ugh, I used one brand of colored pencil a while ago that apparently had its pigment in chunks, because every other time I sharpened one the tip would just fall out.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

I love mechanical pencils specifically because I don't have to sharpen them, but I have impossibly lovely handwriting unless I press down hard. The graphite thingies are too weak and they break too easily, so instead, I just write barely legible things on applications and forms and whatnot.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.

docbeard posted:

The local (Catholic) hospital system's hold music is roughly 30 seconds of the same loop of an instrumental Ave Maria. Starting at the beginning, so the first 25 seconds are the repetitive introductory bars of the song, and it cuts itself off immediately after the first line of the actual song starts.

"...da da da da da da. Aaaave Mariiiiaaa, do DO-- ............. da da da da da da.."

I don't know if I'm describing that accurately, but it is maddening.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
When I click on the button to go to the newest unread post in a thread, but the page has a lot of images which load after everything else and push my scroll bar way back up.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Companies that phone you up and demand that you confirm your identity. I'm not giving my personal information to someone who just phoned me up out of the blue claiming to be my bank. You have a secure email system you can use to message me, and you have no problem using it for trivial bullshit like informing me of holiday processing times, so use it.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Writing with a pen is my pet peeve. Since these days about 98% of my writing is on a computer the remaining two percent is always a disaster and starts hurting my hand after a while.

It's 2016, the longest thing thing I should need a pen for is my signature :colbert:

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer

Khazar-khum posted:

I wish "attractive rock garden" was an acceptable lawn alternative in all 50 states. Lawns are such PITA wastes of resources.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Move to New Mexico. It's really common to have rock gardens with native plants because it's too expensive to keep lawns

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Plant a produce garden and then get harassed by your HOA for having a "messy and unseemly yard".

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Parasol Prophet posted:

The local (Catholic) hospital system's hold music is roughly 30 seconds of the same loop of an instrumental Ave Maria. Starting at the beginning, so the first 25 seconds are the repetitive introductory bars of the song, and it cuts itself off immediately after the first line of the actual song starts.

"...da da da da da da. Aaaave Mariiiiaaa, do DO-- ............. da da da da da da.."

I don't know if I'm describing that accurately, but it is maddening.

This is like something out of Father Ted :allears: Needs a priestly ringtone to go with it.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

FELD1 posted:

drat, that's slightly more than my monthly mortgage payments. I have heard that there has been a struggle with water availability in the southwest, but goddamn that is horrible.

For all the resources he wasted on it, the lawn still looked awful. He reseeded the damned thing, fed it, redid sprinkler systems, put down soil conditioner, you name it. It never looked good, but there was no way he was giving up the fight. He was going to have a green lawn, goddammit, and that's all there was to it. He never did get it to look decent. But he was trying, which kept the HOA off his back.

When we turned our yard into rocks, the neighbors all had the vapors. This last year, though, the county has had rebates for replacing lawn with--you guessed it--rocks. Rockscapes are springing up everywhere. We're pioneers.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

DarkCrawler posted:

Writing with a pen is my pet peeve. Since these days about 98% of my writing is on a computer the remaining two percent is always a disaster and starts hurting my hand after a while.

It's 2016, the longest thing thing I should need a pen for is my signature :colbert:

You can sign anything digitally now whether it's in Adobe Acrobat or those sign machine thingies they have now.

For me I love taking notes by pen. I just can't get used to typing. It's obviously from taking copious notes in HS/College honors and AP classes so it's burned into my brain. I have a little notebook right now where I take notes for the program I'm in right now. Plus I can draw stuff. Anyways I'm rambling incoherently

E: here's another technology one: apps that aren't mail or message that have that red notification thing that there's a new message. How the gently caress does Pandora have to tell me with 4 new messages?!? I have to open the stupid app and read the message to make it go away and it's annoying.

E2: just looked at it, its ads!!! Hooray! It just started doing this after the last update. Blah

E3: I wore flats today cause I don't have any socks left to wear boots or shoes and now my heel has stabbing pain.

Thin Privilege has a new favorite as of 14:30 on Sep 6, 2016

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

A White Guy posted:

I love mechanical pencils specifically because I don't have to sharpen them, but I have impossibly lovely handwriting unless I press down hard. The graphite thingies are too weak and they break too easily, so instead, I just write barely legible things on applications and forms and whatnot.

I used to keep mechanical pencils at my desk but people took them! I don't have any place to lock stuff up, and anyway I don't want to have to lock up goddamn pencils. Office peeve: klepto co-workers!

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
I train new cashiers at work, and it bugs the hell outta me when the bosses don't tell me how many people I'm going to have or which department they're with.

The lack of information flow in general is my pet peeve. If you think I'm going to have three new people and it's actually loving eight, that is a whole load of bullshit.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

People who pull up their car closer and closer and closer to yours while you are trying to k-turn. I had one today almost try to squeeze past me on my last reverse, so I stopped and stared until he finally got the point and backed up.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I just discovered a new pet peeve (at least if it ever happens again, and frankly once is enough): People describing things that they never told you before and are not written down anywhere and that they may have just made up out of whole cloth as "a reminder".

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.

Sociopastry posted:

Move to New Mexico. It's really common to have rock gardens with native plants because it's too expensive to keep lawns

Oh, this brings me back. When I lived in New Mexico, we didn't even have a lawn-- just dirt with a few patches of grass around the trees. I can't even remember if we bothered to mow since the constant drought kept them pretty crispy.

It wasn't turned into a proper rock garden until we were getting the house ready to sell, but I've always wished I could do that here just because I hate mowing the lawn.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
People who don't give any acknowledgement or cue that they've heard and understood what you just said. Like the other day I was explaining to a student that I'll be in a different office saying "that's where you'll be able to find me starting next week" as we walked by it, and he just kept staring at my expectantly like I was going to say more so I felt compelled to continue like ".,..so if you want to find me, I'll be in there...starting next week". No nod, no "ok", nothing but the same blank stare and smile he always has on.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Murphy Brownback posted:

People who don't give any acknowledgement or cue that they've heard and understood what you just said. Like the other day I was explaining to a student that I'll be in a different office saying "that's where you'll be able to find me starting next week" as we walked by it, and he just kept staring at my expectantly like I was going to say more so I felt compelled to continue like ".,..so if you want to find me, I'll be in there...starting next week". No nod, no "ok", nothing but the same blank stare and smile he always has on.

this, but then they get mad when you prompt them for any sort of response. my sister does this poo poo constantly. "Okay, so (X), okay?" *no answer* "Sister." *no answer* "Sister, did you hear me?" "YES CHRIST I HEARD YOU THE FIRST TIME".

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Murphy Brownback posted:

My husband does this. I'll ask him something and I'll hear him furiously typing on his computer... no response. I usually wait a bit and ask him again and it turns out he heard me the first time and was just busy, but please. Please, dear, say something. I don't mean to be a pest, but I don't know if your silence means you didn't hear me or if you're just busy and will do the thing I asked you to do in a minute.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Brawnfire posted:

People who pull up their car closer and closer and closer to yours while you are trying to k-turn. I had one today almost try to squeeze past me on my last reverse, so I stopped and stared until he finally got the point and backed up.

This and people in parking lots who wait for a spot right loving behind the one you're in, blocking your car from getting out. I don't care how close you wanna park Fatty McLardass, I have places to be and none of them are "stuck in a parking lot waiting for some lazy fat shitheap to get out of the drat way"