Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

It's a shame progression is so grindy, the game itself is a lot of fun. Have we figured out the best paths for weapons, armor, shields, etc yet?

All the best gear is the early poo poo, really, except in some select cases. The Flora Longsword is relatively painless to grind, unlike say, the hook axe.

By the way, we are rolling Empire tomorrow when Epic drops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Skoll posted:

All the best gear is the early poo poo, really, except in some select cases. The Flora Longsword is relatively painless to grind, unlike say, the hook axe.

By the way, we are rolling Empire tomorrow when Epic drops.

The name with all the star wars kids?
Whos we?

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Yea, I'm still going Duck Dynasty because it will probably get the least horrible distribution of nerds. Anyone is welcome to join me.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

VulgarandStupid posted:

Yea, I'm still going Duck Dynasty because it will probably get the least horrible distribution of nerds. Anyone is welcome to join me.

Sold stranger, I wanna kill Kylo Ren not be Kylo's friend.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Junkie Disease posted:

Sold stranger, I wanna kill Kylo Ren not be Kylo's friend.

Word. I'm WEEDBABYGOKU420 on Steam/OKAM and I have a discord here: https://discord.gg/q2xFCYd

Some of the other goons who were my crpg buddies and other crpg buddies will be joining me.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

VulgarandStupid posted:

Word. I'm WEEDBABYGOKU420 on Steam/OKAM and I have a discord here: https://discord.gg/q2xFCYd

Some of the other goons who were my crpg buddies and other crpg buddies will be joining me.

Currently #Babyindryer cuz rip Nancy Grace. Might be in a squad of two rl friends in mumble, but we row fer goons.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I wanted to get into cRPG/strategus but by the time I was interested it seemed goons abandoned it due to terrible balance decisions.

Are there any assurances they aren't going to repeat the same mistakes? Archery being bad and two-handers being good sounds awfully familiar.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

All the FLJK goons are going Empire, I should have clarified.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Freakazoid_ posted:

I wanted to get into cRPG/strategus but by the time I was interested it seemed goons abandoned it due to terrible balance decisions.

Are there any assurances they aren't going to repeat the same mistakes? Archery being bad and two-handers being good sounds awfully familiar.

Honestly two handed isn't as good as everyone is making it out to be. Currently the head armor armor values are abysmally low because layering isn't in yet and on top of that there is a head damage multiplier. One hand and pole arm animations mostly start at head level and can hook the head with the starting frames of the animation for massive damage. Two handed animations begin at waist level, and their damage levels are lower than pole arms. I think the biggest issue is all of the better players from crpg naturally gravitate towards two handers because they were the best. On the flip side to that all of the Native Warband, who mostly played campaign or mods, usually go with shielders, get their shield stun locked because they aren't blocking properly and get killed. Then they complain about it. I think shielders are actually the strongest class right now, but you have to block properly. I always see Hospitaller Dan using a sword and shield and absolutely dominating. I have dominated the server with any weapon class, they all feel pretty good to me but there are definitely good and bad weapons in each. Anyway, this is coming from a guy who played crpg for years, even after pretty much all the goons left and I was at least good enough to have something nerfed because of me.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
Shields are the best. The passive block helps keep you alive in group fights. Just get a good spin going and you are going to do massive damage no matter what weapon you are using. As VulgarandStupid said, the main people who complain are the ones who don't know about the stun you get if your shield is hit. Just play like you have a 2H sword and try to LMB block everything.

EDIT: Also, I got into a huge 1v1 with Hospitaller Dan last night. I was the last dude left on my team during the second match and it was 3v1. The other two guys just sat back and I 1v1 dueled Dan for practically the whole flag cap. That dude is VERY GOOD at LMB blocking. He blocked probably 80% of my blows correctly and I was only able to take him down once I broke his shield. But by then it was too late and the flag capped. It was nicely played on his part. He just had to block until the time ran out.

Nalin fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Sep 1, 2016

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I'm very good at blocking blows with my torso.

Spyde
Mar 3, 2004

It's not personal, it's strictly business.

VulgarandStupid posted:

Yeah gonna roll with this because why not. Seems to be where the old crpg goons are congregating. Also discord will probably be useful for passing on info during epic if its anything like strat.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
chadz just said in discord that the patch may be going out

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
patch notes: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1xVDIYsvTDqA9Rg5XLk89f8c9eu5HpJjkZ9kDPdf4cRg/edit

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
Patch changelog:
http://steamcommunity.com/games/430440/announcements/detail/816663494093358730

rip afk farming

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Got my one day in.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
I crushed afk farming. It was good. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a post on the steam forums crying about it.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
i didnt afk farm

namaste

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

They should have left it in. Now I'm just gonna spawn, put it on background and move around every 5 minutes.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Blacktoll posted:

I crushed afk farming. It was good. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a post on the steam forums crying about it.

I did it for a couple days. There IS a thread on the OKAM forums crying about it that I trolled for a half hour or so.

http://forum.ofkingsandmen.net/index.php?topic=1414.0

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
If people would rather AFK than play their game, especially at the start, that's something they need to address instead of kicking AFKers. I use sword and board, so the difference between a tier 1 sword and a tier 2 sword was .50 and .80 speed

If it weren't for AFK, I would have quit the game already.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Skoll posted:

I did it for a couple days. There IS a thread on the OKAM forums crying about it that I trolled for a half hour or so.

http://forum.ofkingsandmen.net/index.php?topic=1414.0

I like how that screenshot has at least 4 AFK goons in it.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Nalin posted:

I like how that screenshot has at least 4 AFK goons in it.

I'm famous

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

You just joined a brand new game!

:byodood:UR A AFKER FUK U

Obstacle2
Dec 21, 2004
feels good man
Is the Epic up? It's not telling me its coming soon any more but I'm just staring at a map.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Obstacle2 posted:

Is the Epic up? It's not telling me its coming soon any more but I'm just staring at a map.

It's pretty Epic though.

Seriously why did they name it Epic? What a dumb name.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Obstacle2 posted:

the devs apologised in discord but basically they did a bad job of explaining.

its only available to take action during primetime. the first primetime will be UK 6-10 PM. then 6-10 PM for each region after

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
The devs are poo poo at explaining anything. Especially on anything that ISN'T discord.

Equate
Nov 11, 2011

Glad someone made an OP, was too lazy.

McRobit in game, hope I have killed some of you.

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar
Looking like Primetime = 6pm = EU starts tomorrow, as does NA primetime after

At 6pm time

ThndrShk2k fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Sep 2, 2016

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Game is fun but there are way to many rounds in deathmatch. You don't get much XP without completing the match but the rounds drag on forever.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
http://steamcommunity.com/games/430440/announcements/detail/816663517261078905

The Epic is going to be delayed for about a week. The devs are just too burnt out.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Nalin posted:

http://steamcommunity.com/games/430440/announcements/detail/816663517261078905

The Epic is going to be delayed for about a week. The devs are just too burnt out.

Not surprised. Theyre a small team thats literally been working day and night.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
respect for how they worded that announcement

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
As someone who payed $22 for this. I demand they work on Epic until a blood clot forces them to have their hand amputated.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Popete posted:

As someone who payed $22 for this. I demand they work on Epic until a blood clot forces them to have their hand amputated.

I need my $16.14 back.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Ok, so I'm not a former CRPG player and still have no idea what the Epic is.

You get two turns? At prime time and morning (which is when?) and you get a certain amount of points to recruit and upgrade your fiefdom?

Do you get to chose where the fiefdom is located?

Do you get to preempt your moves and research or whatever or do you have to wait until the am or primetime?

So far all I have read is something about a strategic layer, recruiting troops, upgrading a fief. Also, that you discuss with your opponent when you are fighting-- but can it only be resolved prime time and morning as well?

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Blacktoll posted:

Ok, so I'm not a former CRPG player and still have no idea what the Epic is.

You get two turns? At prime time and morning (which is when?) and you get a certain amount of points to recruit and upgrade your fiefdom?

Do you get to chose where the fiefdom is located?

Do you get to preempt your moves and research or whatever or do you have to wait until the am or primetime?

So far all I have read is something about a strategic layer, recruiting troops, upgrading a fief. Also, that you discuss with your opponent when you are fighting-- but can it only be resolved prime time and morning as well?

http://www.okamwiki.org/w/The_Epic

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lxhgmuh8uj8f1w2/Epic%20%28Base%29.pdf?dl=0

At the start, there will be four pre-set kingdoms. You choose the kingdom to fight for. The game will be sort of like Risk. There are two turns per day, one 12 hours after the other. You can raise troops, move your troops around, claim territory, build a castle, etc. Actions can take multiple ticks to resolve. Ticks occur every hour (12 per turn). If you tell some troops to move, they will move a certain amount of distance every tick. If you get into a battle, the game will schedule the fights around the start of the next turn. This will give you some time to prepare.

Not everything in the design document is implemented yet, so we'll just have to try it out and see what is working.

plehsistential
Jan 29, 2012

death to all avatar havers
sounds like from in games empire is going to be overpopulated as hell whenever the epic actually launches

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

plehsistential posted:

sounds like from in games empire is going to be overpopulated as hell whenever the epic actually launches

Maybe, maybe not. Underpopulated factions get an XP bonus, overpopulated ones get an XP reduction, and if it gets too bad they will prevent people from joining.

• Locked thread