Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Lotish posted:

Is my boy Isidro playable yet?

He's DLC, along with Tapasa Monk 1 and 2. They'll be in the pack after Literally Every Named Apostle part 3.

He hasn't been revealed yet, but he's probably in, since Musou games have shittons of characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I want Isidro to murder Griffith

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Lotish posted:

Is my boy Isidro playable yet?

No doubt he will be. I expect him to roll around constantly like a Dark Souls character. In fact I hope that's his only means of locomotion.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Deified Data posted:

No doubt he will be. I expect him to roll around constantly like a Dark Souls character. In fact I hope that's his only means of locomotion.

Watch him be like the opposite of Schierke; where that video up there made her look almost immobile when not moving with the wind magic and stuff, but possessing massive AoE, he'll be super-mobile but have among the smallest attacks of the group or something.

Relatively, I mean; this is a musou game, so he'll still probably be hitting tons of people at once somehow.

snickothemule
Jul 11, 2016

wretched single ply might as well use my socks

http://www.manga-audition.com/zenon201610-haraxmiura/

Crossover Legends!

Pretty great interview with two of my favourite mangaka, quite a pleasant insight into their worlds.

I never thought I'd see Hara do a rendition of Guts, let alone something that badass!

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

quote:

Mr. Miura says “If I continue to age like this, I have a bad feeling that my pleasure could turn to pain. But I want to continue drawing until I’m 90 years old! I want to devote myself to my creations!”

Welp

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
That's Kenshiro alright, he even got Ra'oh's armour under the cloak.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Idolm@ster is a cruel mistress

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

Pelican Dunderhead posted:

Where the hell is berserk's best character Rickert the technomancer.
Appearing in the upcoming Idolmaster release. You have to backhand various characters in the room until you find Griffith.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

The latest anime episode was pretty good. Still suffers from some incompetent camera direction and a bit of floaty animation, but otherwise nice.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
Might've come up in the thread but does anyone have that comic where Miura kinda talks to another mangaka about what made him start on Berserk and what his inspirations were? I got nothin'.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
This anime has a much better soundtrack than what it deserves lol

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
That episode was pretty good. Nothing groan inducing.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
I would say the hand and brand reveals were both flubbed very badly.

LostRook fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Sep 3, 2016

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I thought they were going to wait until next episode to reveal the full brand. But you're right, it wasn't well executed. God drat it, why don't they have a different director doing this show? :(

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
The hand reveal is one of the best scenes in the manga. I was very sad that it lost that impact in this episode. It was the thing I was looking forward to the most.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Something I noticed on rewatching the first episode and definitely continues throughout:

Relating to the 3D, the biggest problem with direction in this series has 100% been camera FoV/zoom. It never changes in any given scene, they only move the camera, never touching the zoom. Closeup shots could benefit from a little fisheye, especially any given Guts grin; or like when he sees the girl's body about to be eaten by the tree, stay far and zoom the gently caress in! Instead we get general tunnel vision in every shot and it really affects sense of distance and leads to everything feeling slow no matter how far they make a character move in the 3D scene. Everything feels like it's always the same distance away (because it is) instead of actually changing perspective.

Someone is just loading a stock camera object, pointing it some direction, and calling it good. The opening shot of episode 8 is the most apparent offender, but then later during the Serpico cliff duel they seem to have figured it out in one shot, but back to stock in the next. Episode 9 is a little better, but still feels cramped 90% of the time because it's like they just loving forget about camera zoom for 'boring' shots.

Further edits: I found one zoom-push (not even, just a zoom-in), during the blob monster reveal in episode 9. Also noticed that they struggle with keeping the camera inside the room for most interior shots, which is something you solve with a little fisheye, but they seem goddamn allergic to it.

So I went back and checked Knights of Sidonia, and the first episode is the same way: Camera zoom never changes. Especially apparent in Bear-lady scenes when they struggle to fit her in shots with the regular characters in a tiny room. But, by the second episode they seem to have figured it out and use different zooms for stuff like pilot reactions vs quiet cockpit shots.

It's amusing to be watching Shirobako on the side and they talk about 3D trying to replace 2D all the drat time too. 3D doesn't do any good if the director doesn't know the tools.

Ranzear fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Sep 4, 2016

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

It makes sense that a director from 2d wouldn't have any experience with focal length, cause it's kind of a non-issue in 2D unless the animator really knows what they're doing. I wonder if they even have a layout department for this show or if the animators are doing it all like they do in 2D in Japan.

Personally though the way the camera pans and the fact that shots cut before they have a chance to really land visually is what bothers me the most.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
Was this model just taken from a stock 3D model library with generic saint statues?

Because otherwise I don't get what a lowercase T has to do with the Hawk Religion.

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009

Ranzear posted:

:words: about camera work

The one thing sidonia did nail out of the gate though was the fight animation the characters remained pretty stiff and awful.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Was this model just taken from a stock 3D model library with generic saint statues?

Because otherwise I don't get what a lowercase T has to do with the Hawk Religion.

Hahaha good catch. They probably didn't even think that through or think anyone would notice.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Yeah, I noticed the same thing and thought to ask if Midland has some sort of Christianity analog separate from the Hawk stuff, but totally forgot about it.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
Well the whole thing is a christ / anti-christ analogy so it's not like it fits.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Midland had some kind of religion which was clearly modeled on Christianity and was already established for many generations prior to Griffith co-opting it.

Although I suppose it's possible that if the Godhand were involved, then Griffith's arrival would have been prophesied, and in that case maybe their iconography should have been hawk-based all along.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

There is a pope who met with Griffith and made him the proper king of Midland or whatever.

And the Holy Chain Knights and Mozgus' crew work for the generic capital-c Church as well. It's just vague not-christianity.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Midland had some kind of religion which was clearly modeled on Christianity and was already established for many generations prior to Griffith co-opting it.

Although I suppose it's possible that if the Godhand were involved, then Griffith's arrival would have been prophesied, and in that case maybe their iconography should have been hawk-based all along.

Oh sure, the religion in the story is very blatantly Not-Christianity, but they have a symbol and it's this:

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
yeah, Midland's Not Christianity has hawk iconography. i don't remember seeing any crosses before

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

Begemot posted:

There is a pope who met with Griffith and made him the proper king of Midland or whatever.
Griffith has not been crowned, nor yet wed to Charlotte. The Pope specifically states that he will be alive to see them married, and the Midlanders are following Griffith because he had Charlotte and she retains inherited power.

As far as I recall (will fetch references later perhaps).

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

Griffith has not been crowned, nor yet wed to Charlotte. The Pope specifically states that he will be alive to see them married, and the Midlanders are following Griffith because he had Charlotte and she retains inherited power.

As far as I recall (will fetch references later perhaps).

Basically, yeah. But they follow Griffith because he's their Messiah, not just because he rescued Charlotte.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
He's basically both the second coming of Jesus and King Arthur coming to save Britannia, because Midlanders still tell tales of The Band of the Hawk and of Griffith. Then he comes back, saves the queen and is somehow able to control horrible monsters in the only safe place they know of after defeating the Kushan hordes. Honestly I need more commoner eye view of Griffith. Straight up new peasant wandering around Falconia.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

bman in 2288 posted:

Basically, yeah. But they follow Griffith because he's their Messiah, not just because he rescued Charlotte.
This doesn't really happen until later. The divided generals of Midland are still standing around after Vrittanis complaining about following some "upstart leader" that basically just rescued the field, but they still only see him as the commander of the Hawks. Even the statement from the Pope is insufficient to sway them, and they decide that they're going to divide up the lands and do what they want... that is until Griffith produces Charlotte.

Later they are all standing around scared witless as Griffith leads them all toward the Kushan demons and only then are the apostles unleashed in their true forms. Everyone goes along because... telekinesis girl tells them to and then goes charging into the field. Hell, what would even be the point in fleeing at that point? If your side loses, you're getting run down by demons. If you join in, you can be a part of Midland when it recovers, which is what you've wanted all along.

Instead they get a guy who flies on a huge beast, that suddenly produces a golden city. Crops grow like weeds, whiskey rains down from heaven, everyone has a job, and there "are no monsters" (because they're all friendly and helpful and helped win the battle). Now the boring commander that Charlotte told you to follow has his kingdom; gently caress Midland; all hail Falconia.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
The most important character Trailer next to Skull Knight.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

See, Musou/Warriors doesn't really work for Berserk as Casca or Judeau but that trailer is 100% why Berserk Warriors is a great idea. Zodd is the coolest.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Josuke Higashikata posted:

See, Musou/Warriors doesn't really work for Berserk as Casca or Judeau but that trailer is 100% why Berserk Warriors is a great idea. Zodd is the coolest.

Look, they were able to bullshit up ways for like Marin and Agitha to fight hordes of enemies in Hyrule Warriors. They can do something for Casca and Judeau. Heck, those kinds of fighters are what they have the most experience with, what with all the basic sword-wielders in Dynasty Warriors.

e: Also: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-r1lbxjRiI

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Don't get me wrong, I love that you can play as those too, or others who are basically mortals amongst superhumans, but it makes less sense in an adaptation way.

They definitely need to get in on showing that Skull Knight action though.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Omega Force tends to handle light weapon or rapier-users by having them massacre 50 men in a rectangle in front of them as opposed to Guts massacring 50 men in a semi-circle.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

Begemot posted:

Look, they were able to bullshit up ways for like Marin and Agitha to fight hordes of enemies in Hyrule Warriors. They can do something for Casca and Judeau.

I'd like to see them work Corkus' signature move: "Passive-aggressively Hating Guts"

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

LostRook posted:

I'd like to see them work Corkus' signature move: "Passive-aggressively Hating Guts"
Haha, the only way to get Corkus to fight: Get shown up by a junior.

He wants to flee Doldrey until he sees Rickert outclassing him. :razz:

The best line has to be, "I finally figured out what I hate about you, it's that damned face that doesn't move".

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

:flashfap:

This is shaping up to be so fun with them not shying away from including weirder or huge characters for picks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
If transformation modes have different specials, than I can only wonder if A: Griffith shifts into Femto and B: How goddamn crazy the Zerker armor can get.