Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Magres
Jul 14, 2011

malhavok posted:

I keep trying to get the drat pvp wings and i keep burning out every drat pvp season. I don't think i can finish up the third tier achievements this time around, well i could if i hadn't burned out again. Bleh.

The real trick for pvp is to just do your daily league participator until like 2-3 weeks before the end of the season when all the morons have trickled up in rank. Getting Ruby in the first 2 weeks of a season is pretty hard, getting Ruby in the last 2 weeks of a season is extremely easy.

Waci posted:

sPvP reward tracks move multiple times faster than the WvW ones (like, average 1000 points per 15-20 minutes before achievement bonuses, versus ~200 per 15 minutes), which does balance getting fewer rank up chests and no champion bags or and player loot.

It's 570 points (about 1/35th of a full bar) per 15 minutes in WvW unless your participation sucks. PvP wins get you about 1/30th of a full reward track, losses about 1/60th (Pulled numbers from the wiki). If you win around half the time it'll take 45 games, most games take about ten minutes and queue times average at like 2-3 minutes. Using those numbers it takes 9 hours on the dot to finish a PvP reward track without boosts. It's about as fast to finish a pvp reward track as a wvw one, though pvp dailies are much easier to crank out in a few minutes with custom arenas so if you just do dailies then pvp reward tracks are a lot easier to do.

E: vvvvvvvvv The entire reason I cared about sPvP is because the backpack is shiny and pretty. I finished mine and literally haven't played a game since because I don't care anymore. I'd rather go relax and crush pubbies in a good ol' magswag zerg any day. Literally the only thing sPvP has over WvW is that you don't have to worry about gear

Magres fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Sep 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
I don't give one single gently caress about sPvP, but WvW is like if WoW Battlegrounds were good, which is *chef kiss*

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

Magres posted:

The real trick for pvp is to just do your daily league participator until like 2-3 weeks before the end of the season when all the morons have trickled up in rank. Getting Ruby in the first 2 weeks of a season is pretty hard, getting Ruby in the last 2 weeks of a season is extremely easy.

It's 570 points (about 1/35th of a full bar) per 15 minutes in WvW unless your participation sucks. PvP wins get you about 1/30th of a full reward track, losses about 1/60th (Pulled numbers from the wiki). If you win around half the time it'll take 45 games, most games take about ten minutes and queue times average at like 2-3 minutes. Using those numbers it takes 9 hours on the dot to finish a PvP reward track without boosts. It's about as fast to finish a pvp reward track as a wvw one, though pvp dailies are much easier to crank out in a few minutes with custom arenas so if you just do dailies then pvp reward tracks are a lot easier to do.

E: vvvvvvvvv The entire reason I cared about sPvP is because the backpack is shiny and pretty. I finished mine and literally haven't played a game since because I don't care anymore. I'd rather go relax and crush pubbies in a good ol' magswag zerg any day.

I'm an idiot and somehow thought scoring ticks were 15 minutes instead of 5, disregard what I said

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Waci posted:

I'm an idiot and somehow thought scoring ticks were 15 minutes instead of 5, disregard what I said

You're fine :)

Also, they used to be 15 minutes so it's a totally reasonable mixup

Lonk
Jan 26, 2012

LET'S FUCKING GOOOOOOOO
A child fell into Stonemist Castle and Xushin was shot by officials.

It was probably Arus.
Dicks out for Xushin.

Hefty
Jun 11, 2008

Magres posted:

Now that you don't have to be in the pvp lobby

Whoa, this might actually get me to play more. I burned out last season when queue times started getting ridiculous. Can you queue from anywhere? I don't imagine they'd let you from wvw, but that would be pretty sweet.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Hefty posted:

Whoa, this might actually get me to play more. I burned out last season when queue times started getting ridiculous. Can you queue from anywhere? I don't imagine they'd let you from wvw, but that would be pretty sweet.

You can queue from anywhere but if you log to the character select screen or change maps then it drops you from queue. I finished my Daily League Participator Part 4 by just wandering around Verdant Brink hunting Airship Cargos until queue popped. I'm out of Pact Crowbars now so next time I want to play a bunch of pvp I'll probably just go chop wood or something relaxing between games.

Even just sitting around in the world is more pleasant than being in Heart of the Mists though, between HotM map chat and the gold spammers.

Magres fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Sep 1, 2016

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Finally getting some reprieve from nursing school, fun times ahead for GW2. :w00t:

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
So how do fractals work now? I went to the portal and I get a small selection of maps to choose. a bunch are greyed out in tier 1, and everything tier 2 or above is greyed out as well so I can't select anything.

Do I need to unlock these somehow?

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

DarkAvenger211 posted:

So how do fractals work now? I went to the portal and I get a small selection of maps to choose. a bunch are greyed out in tier 1, and everything tier 2 or above is greyed out as well so I can't select anything.

Do I need to unlock these somehow?

You need to raise your personal level. You can open a fractal yourself up to your level, but nothing prevents you from joining a group for a higher fractal in LFG and raising your level. You have to be within 5 levels to see the next tier on the LFG list, so for 26-50 you have to be 21 and so forth. Personal reward level also determines your level of loot you get.

You can check the agony resistance tables on the wiki to see how much you need for each level, but this only comes to play around level 20 or so.

Also, Fractals are done one at a time now instead of the old system where you did 3 fractals and the boss level. It's much more enjoyable for a quick run.

I've been taking my condi necro in and getting back to Fractals (pretty much last time I did 'em was when they released them) and I would say I have a pretty good idea on most of the fractals, although Thaumanova still pisses me off. My level is around ~50 now so I can see participate on the third tier runs and get 3 chests from daily runs.

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Sep 1, 2016

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.

TeaJay posted:

You need to raise your personal level. You can open a fractal yourself up to your level, but nothing prevents you from joining a group for a higher fractal in LFG and raising your level. You have to be within 5 levels to see the next tier on the LFG list, so for 26-50 you have to be 21 and so forth. Personal reward level also determines your level of loot you get.

You can check the agony resistance tables on the wiki to see how much you need for each level, but this only comes to play around level 20 or so.

Also, Fractals are done one at a time now instead of the old system where you did 3 fractals and the boss level. It's much more enjoyable for a quick run.

I've been taking my condi necro in and getting back to Fractals (pretty much last time I did 'em was when they released them) and I would say I have a pretty good idea on most of the fractals, although Thaumanova still pisses me off. My level is around ~50 now so I can see participate on the third tier runs and get 3 chests from daily runs.

Ah great. Thanks!

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013
I just alt tab and do something interesting while waiting out the pvp queues.

MacBook Air Gamer
May 6, 2007

Here I go, deep type flow.
Jacques Cousteau could never get this low.
The Current Events NPC moved again yesterday, and her next destination is Bloodtide Coast.

Maybe she'll go so far south we wind up back in Cantha!!

lucifirius
Mar 7, 2016
holy autism batman

https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/50ogv1/law_lulles_advanced_worldcompletion_guide/

This is gonna be useful.

Erdricks
Sep 8, 2005

There's nothing refreshing like a sauna!

i'm not sure why. the best part of the game is running around and exploring the maps and finding all the neat poo poo tucked into every corner.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the idea of someone needing some super optimized guide to do what is basically 'run around and activate things' is mindboggling.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
It's not that hard: People "need" them to finish world completion (usually on alts) faster, no one claims they're required to find your way and they're not intended for people new to the game who still want to explore on their own.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

He even says it's not for people doing it the first time as that ruins the fun. Also

TeaJay posted:

has convinced me to give fractals another try. The time investment was keeping me at bay, but I'm pretty sure I'm still only in the single digits for levels :(

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

operation run fractals on a ranger and spend all your time healing jagged horrors has worked pretty well i feel

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS
I was really excited to play t4 fractals until I actually got into one. Dying immediately really sucks and I don't know exactly what I'm supposed to be doing as a warrior to avoid the deaths two seconds into a boss fight. The build on metabattle recommends using the berserker heal but that poo poo's so unreliable.

How do warriors stay alive in t4's? I genuinely want some kind of guidance to be better at the class in there. I guess some of it will come down to just dying a whole bunch in each mission as I learn the mechanics of the harder fight alongside their instabilities, but feeling like the sole reason for wipes makes the experience really un-fun

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

nickhimself posted:

I was really excited to play t4 fractals until I actually got into one. Dying immediately really sucks and I don't know exactly what I'm supposed to be doing as a warrior to avoid the deaths two seconds into a boss fight. The build on metabattle recommends using the berserker heal but that poo poo's so unreliable.

How do warriors stay alive in t4's? I genuinely want some kind of guidance to be better at the class in there. I guess some of it will come down to just dying a whole bunch in each mission as I learn the mechanics of the harder fight alongside their instabilities, but feeling like the sole reason for wipes makes the experience really un-fun

Sorry, but get good. It's all about knowing your class and boss/encounter mechanics.

For example, the Blood Reckoning heal is not for healing, its main purpose is to refill your adrenaline so you can cast an extra Arc Divider while in Berserk.

edit: I just remembered, if you prefer learning via video, there's a nice T4 fractal guide courtesy of [KING]
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLu6e24dQtVRdg1ihFaUnTiRLcAQ5OOr-f

AnacondaHL fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Sep 2, 2016

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

As someone with a combined 726% account map completion (pitiful really, averages out to just over 16% per alt) anything that allows me to minimise the time spent trying to stay awake in Snowden Drifts is valuable

Softface
Feb 16, 2011

Some things can't be unseen

nickhimself posted:

Personally I run the "heal when you take damage" heal and the "take no damage" stance so that I can live long enough in a fight to not die. They require a bit of timing, and the mist anomalies can help you out. Always have one of those things up when you can.

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

Meatoberfest is in full swing.
Warriors just press 2 and stand in everything but still win, are you sure you aren't actually playing a Thief or Elementalist?

dad on the rag
Apr 25, 2010
Well to be fair yesterday was pretty brutal if you had not done any t4 fractals before. Mai Trin, Bloom, and Aetherblade plus we couldn't do 89 Bloom because the other two didn't have enough agony resist.

For the first part you need to switch up your utilities/build to run those stupid wisps. Second part it's pretty much range him and sidestep the charges or melee him and breakbar as fast as possible to minimize/prevent the shake attack.

Stability can be good if you don't feel comfortable yet with Bloom and you have to remember that the instability was reduced vigor so less dodging.

Roll condi reaper for easy mode t4.
Did all three fractals without you guys in ~40 minutes with four condi reapers and a druid.

Oh, also t4 mobs hit hard so things like stun, daze, blind, minions, etc are good.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Oh, the new swamp Bloomhunger was designed to be as anti-PS Warrior as possible. Constantly regenerating endurance to reduce your damage, crazy powerful melee attacks to destroy your DPS uptime, leaps and movement all over the place so you never land a Hundred Blades, and swarms of enemies to cleave down in the middle phases just in case you weren't feeling useless as gently caress yet.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

LiftAuff posted:

Well to be fair yesterday was pretty brutal if you had not done any t4 fractals before. Mai Trin, Bloom, and Aetherblade plus we couldn't do 89 Bloom because the other two didn't have enough agony resist.

For the first part you need to switch up your utilities/build to run those stupid wisps. Second part it's pretty much range him and sidestep the charges or melee him and breakbar as fast as possible to minimize/prevent the shake attack.

Stability can be good if you don't feel comfortable yet with Bloom and you have to remember that the instability was reduced vigor so less dodging.

Roll condi reaper for easy mode t4.
Did all three fractals without you guys in ~40 minutes with four condi reapers and a druid.

Oh, also t4 mobs hit hard so things like stun, daze, blind, minions, etc are good.

Warrior is nearly as good for face rolling T4s as Necro cause it's also quite durable and contributes tons to your group. I honestly don't have a huge preference between 4 Necro 1 Druid and 3 Necro 1 Druid 1 Warrior because might is a beautiful thing. Only real downside is being melee, but that only matters much for a couple fights (notably Bloomhunger though)

nickhimself posted:

Drop Blood Reckoning for Healing Signet imo, it makes Warrior a total beefcake and Blood Reckoning doesn't contribute anything to your damage if you're dead :cheeky:. I'm guessing you were getting gibbed by Bloomhunger, his leap attack is VITAL to dodge because he follows it up with his ground pounder attack and if the former has stunned you the latter will down and then kill you.

When I get back to my hotel tonight I'll do some digging and try to put together an adjusted build based off the usual PS Warrior that incorporates some extra survivability. I'm phone posting so I can't atm.

Magres fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Sep 2, 2016

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

After doing some T3, I feel like the jump from T2 is much bigger than the jump from T1 to T2. And I assume the jump to T4 is even bigger.

I guess a lot of it is the group if you're pugging it like me. Some guys asked for "experienced" which usually in MMO's equals "I want to be carried", and the group leader was constantly downed in T2 Aetherblade (49) but a "beginner" group cleared it without incident.

kiffkin
Feb 13, 2007

Fool! Women called Nyla are always spies!

ijyt posted:

The time investment was keeping me at bay, but I'm pretty sure I'm still only in the single digits for levels :(
After some goom runs the other day, I'm now at the dizzying heights of level 11 :v: .

Illuyankas posted:

As someone with a combined 726% account map completion (pitiful really, averages out to just over 16% per alt) anything that allows me to minimise the time spent trying to stay awake in Snowden Drifts is valuable
Back when I was jaded a few months post-release, going through GENERIC_SNOW_AREA_02 yet again was what finally caused me to quit.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I sometimes think about doing map completion for transmutations, but then I realize I'm a working adult and fork out 10 € for 800 gems and buy enough to last a good while.

I don't mind getting keys that way, though. F*ck buying keys from the gemstore.

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS
I dodged bloomhunger's leaps and attacks, but didn't know he was so anti-warrior. Maybe that sullied my experience a bit. I felt useless a lot of the time because I would only be able to charge in and hit him with a few 100b swings once every ring switch. I should've gone in with axe/mace and longbow I think. That would've helped me get fast hits in with some breakbar drain while also being ranged capable.

Maybe I need to try some other levels out. I'd love to gear my necro but I've finally just finished my first set of ascended armor so I'll need some time to craft the materials

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

nickhimself posted:

Blood Reckoning should be fine for almost all encounters, except for those that have a lot of sustained damage and few enemies (e.g., Mai Trin and that's basically it), in which case it's up to personal preference if you wanna take Healing Signet or Defiant Stance. Healing Signet's also a solid choice - you lose out on a fair bit of damage, but you gain a ludicrous amount of survivability in almost all situations.

What some people don't realize is while Blood Reckoning does reset your burst skill, it also gives you a 10% damage-dealt-to-healing buff for something like 5 seconds afterward. Berserk-F1-Blood Reckoning-F1-Thousand Blades should be more than enough to take you up to full on a single target, and you don't even need 1k Blades if there are more than one target - just the second burst skill should be plenty to bring you to near-full.

You should also be more concerned with staying alive rather than trying to play ~*~*~OPTIMALLY~*~*~, because as we all know your DPS is 0 when you're dead anyway and it's not like there are enrage timers in fractals. This can mean things like swapping out your offset for a longbow or even running a shoutbow build in fights where your melee DPS uptime isn't going to be great anyway (e.g., Bloomhunger, Mai Trin, Jade Maw, final boss of Chaos).

tl;dr: Blood Reckoning is probably fine, take Healing Signet if you don't think it is, don't worry about dumb crap like maintaining Stick and Move uptime and focus on staying alive, even if that means swapping your greatsword for a longbow.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Warrior has been poo poo since shoutbow went out of meta and I will never forgive Anet for that.

RIP Loud Stabby Rodent, you dooted to often

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009
If you want to feel useful in T4 fractals including Bloom as Warrior, go condi PS. I main Warrior and still refuse to try Bloom with the normal melee build. Condi PS has the added advantage of stacking lots of burns for your 3 Reapers to Epidemic around.

check out my Youtube
May 26, 2006

Satan's on my side
and you wanna brawl?
When the Devil comes
you better heed his Quall

You know, I have 100% world completion on all 9 of my characters (the majority of that was even back when you had to explore all of WvW too) and I've been slowly working on HoT completion as well. I guess this is useful if you consider it sometime of a chore, but honestly going around and exploring and doing hearts was always the most relaxing activity in the game and I still enjoyed it the 9th time. Plus it made unlocking my elite specs a lot easier when HoT came around.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Any of you at the ANet community party at PAX?

E: if you ever have the chance, go to the community party, it's a good time and it's really fun to just geek out with random people around you about gw2. Also people do some AMAZING gw2 cosplay, there were two people there in full Balthazar Armor and the Sentinel outfit that were incredibly well made.

Magres fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Sep 3, 2016

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
poo poo. I think I broke the daily wiggle chest.

Edit: Or just buggered the UI for it. I can't think of anywhere else that bag of transmutes came from.

Bieeanshee fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Sep 3, 2016

lucifirius
Mar 7, 2016

Baron Von Pigeon posted:

You know, I have 100% world completion on all 9 of my characters (the majority of that was even back when you had to explore all of WvW too) and I've been slowly working on HoT completion as well. I guess this is useful if you consider it sometime of a chore, but honestly going around and exploring and doing hearts was always the most relaxing activity in the game and I still enjoyed it the 9th time. Plus it made unlocking my elite specs a lot easier when HoT came around.

Well sometimes I get confused about how to get to a certain PoI/Vista/WP so a guide is pretty nice.

lucifirius fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Sep 3, 2016

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

The world completion guide is probably more useful for people who are grinding it to sell the gifts, not as a for fun thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deaf jesus
Feb 19, 2004
hear no evil

nickhimself posted:

As people have given you advice. I'll share what was given to me by a fellow forum user (I was struggling getting groups on druid). Make a viper necro. Get all ascended, at least 135 AR and use a tear potion with mastery. You join T4 groups that advertise MM necros only. You join....5 necros just melt everything. Rinse and repeat as needed.

• Locked thread