Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Dork457 posted:

I'm not terribly familiar with this. Is it common that a presidential candidate will have essentially journalism groupies along for the campaign ride?

I'm pretty sure this is common even for the actual President. I'm fairly certain there's a section for the press on Air Force One.

Sankis fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Sep 2, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

SSNeoman posted:

I think what gets me the most about Hillary's strategy is that she realized how to use people's distrust in politicians for her own advantage. Just fly under the radar, and let the media eat Trump alive. This is a HORSE RACE after all right?
And when she gets on the debate stage, well poo poo that's like 20 years of pent-up Republican hatred unleashed on a man who cries when people look at him funny. Like every loving thing Republicans did basically molded her into the perfect candidate to take them down. And they used up all their ammunition. Now the best they can do is CLINTON FOUNDATION and HER HEALTH. Clinton barely started on taking down Trump and his campaign.
This entire election is like the culmination of Hillary's origin story which is like the beginning of the Pokemon movie.

Paul Ryan: We were trying to create the perfect politician. We had our successes with the Bush and the Reagan. There were some...missteps...

*smash cut to Mission_Accomplished.jpeg*

PR: But we kept going regardless. Our opponents were our punching bags. Sex scandal, e-mail scandal, accusations of corruptions, all valid tactics. All to find the perfect stratagem for the ideal.

Trump: TRUMP!

PR: He is unrefined, but he will achieve greatness...

PR: Yet...little did we know...that through our testing, we forged something new. Something we could not strike down. Something we never seen before...

*giant pantsuit cocoon smashes through ceiling*

*cocoon explodes to reveal Hillary*

Trump: TRUMP? TRUMP!

*MAGA hat followers charge Hillary*

Hillary Clinton: Let me tell you...about cookies...

*Holds up her hand*

*curls it into a fist*

*MAGA followers' chests explode*

Follower #3245: Thanks...Obama...

*Hillary starts walking toward Ryan*

Mike Pence: Now hold on one moment! American people, do not forget about the negligence which led to Beng-*stops as Hillary knees him in the balls*

Trump: TRUUUUUMP! *attempts to punch Hillary*

*Hillary gives him a withering look*

*Trump crumples to the floor, tries to cover his face but can't due to tiny loving hands*

PR: *collapses against a wall* We tried to create the perfect politician...

*Hillary stands in front of him*

*Raises both hands*

PR: ...and we succeeded.

*Building explodes into sky-piercing pillar of light*

---

*MAGA hat falls to the ground in front of rubble*

*hat crushed underfoot by pantsuited leg*

Yeah. Suck on that, Denesh D'souza.

Damnit, where is that Fury Road/Trump gif when I need it.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

She's flush with cash...she should lavish them with food and entertainment like she knows Trump cannot. She will still not admit them to her royal court of course, but they will feast and be merry provided they do not cross her in public

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Epic High Five posted:

She's flush with cash...she should lavish them with food and entertainment like she knows Trump cannot. She will still not admit them to her royal court of course, but they will feast and be merry provided they do not cross her in public

Orange Chicken for every meal

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
You don't want taco trucks on every corner. They sell sub-standard products. What you wanna do is head down to the Trump Tower Grill and get yourself a taco bowl there.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

The Glumslinger posted:

Orange Chicken for every meal

You have my 4 year old daughter's vote.

AMorePerfctGoonion
Aug 11, 2016

by exmarx
The stock market is predicting a Clinton landslide. Apparently investors like landslide victories and legislative gridlock.

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all

Dork457 posted:

I'm not terribly familiar with this. Is it common that a presidential candidate will have essentially journalism groupies along for the campaign ride?

Yeah, papers and magazines have been doing it since at least the 60's. The idea was to get an insider look at the next President, but then Rolling Stone got Hunter S Thompson to follow McGovern in 72 and everyone realized that covering the losing campaign is much more interesting.

Fear and Loathing on the Campaign Trail is still a great read too, and depressingly relevant.

quote:

“The whole framework of the presidency is getting out of hand. It's come to the point where you almost can't run unless you can cause people to salivate and whip on each other with big sticks. You almost have to be a rock star to get the kind of fever you need to survive in American politics.”

quote:

“How many more of these stinking, double-downer sideshows will we have to go through before we can get ourselves straight enough to put together some kind of national election that will give me and the at least 20 million people I tend to agree with a chance to vote FOR something, instead of always being faced with that old familiar choice between the lesser of two evils?”

quote:

“The main problem in any democracy is that crowd-pleasers are generally brainless swine who can go out on a stage & whup their supporters into an orgiastic frenzy—then go back to the office & sell every one of the poor bastards down the tube for a nickel apiece.”

quote:

“McGovern made some stupid mistakes, but in context they seem almost frivolous compared to the things Richard Nixon does every day of his life, on purpose, as a matter of policy and a perfect expression of everything he stands for.

Jesus! Where will it end? How low do you have to stoop in this country to be President?”

Ghetto Prince fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Sep 2, 2016

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

It's pretty funny that Trump's Nuremberg rally yesterday came about from a nightmare version of that West Wing episode where all his advisors came together and decided the time was right to "let Trump be Trump".

AMorePerfctGoonion
Aug 11, 2016

by exmarx
How Trump charms wealthy donors in private — by seeking their advice

Apparently Trump doesn't seek policy advice from experts or Republican party operatives but from rich donors, who see a different Trump - quiet, attentive, note-taking. And Trump actually listens to what they say - his famous apology came after a session with Sheldon Adelson who told Trump off for running his mouth, his wavering on immigration came after Andrew Sabin told him deporting 11 million people was impractical and his attacks on Clinton for poor judgement were suggested by Peter Leidel. Though by far the donor with the most pull seems to be Robert Mercer, the NY billionaire who suggested Trump hire Bannon, Conway and now Bossie, the anti-Clinton attack dog.

I think this tells us a lot about how Trump values people - only fellow wealthy business people are of worth and expert knowledge from scientists or politicians is to be dismissed. A Trump presidency might not be an autocracy but a plutocracy in which the rich 1% run America's policy regardless of how ignorant they may be about their portfolios. It also emphasizes that Trump is an empty suit that repeats what people tell him; he lacks any internal convictions and judgement. It is also consistent with the reports that Trump officials are desperate to get his ear since he tends to follow the advice of whoever spoke to him last.

quote:

At the breakfast fundraiser at Trump Tower in early August, where he went into details about his approach to issues such as the war in Syria, attendees urged Trump to share more policy specifics in public.“At the rallies, if I give much more than a one-word sentence, I lose the audience,” Trump responded, according to Leidel. “I want to keep their attention.”

I think he realizes how stupid a lot of his supporters are, but he still seems obsessed with getting their adoration at those rallies he loves so much.

AMorePerfctGoonion fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Sep 2, 2016

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Comrade Fakename posted:

It's pretty funny that Trump's Nuremberg rally yesterday came about from a nightmare version of that West Wing episode where all his advisors came together and decided the time was right to "let Trump be Trump".

"Let Trump be Trump" was literally the guiding principle of Lewandwoski campaign management

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

AMorePerfctGoonion posted:

The stock market is predicting a Clinton landslide. Apparently investors like landslide victories and legislative gridlock.

yeah, but they also predicted that britain would vote to remain

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

fatherboxx posted:

"Let Trump be Trump" was literally the guiding principle of Lewandwoski campaign management

I mean, the only thing Trump might care about more than rally size is the approval of people richer than him. A rich person with Serious Opinions recommended Bannon, even though he didn't have anything new or good to offer, and bam, Bannon got hired.

It's funny that the media has so much trouble with Trump because he's not some big mystery. It's just that understanding and explaining how much of a fake con man only in it for the money and the fame Trump is requires admitting that he's not qualified to be President and that this isn't a real race. God loving forbid journalists actually do their jobs and report the truth, because that would result in less pageviews and ad revenue. gently caress the media.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?
My friend called Hillary a neoliberal today. Is he stupid, or am I?

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

yeah, but they also predicted that britain would vote to remain

Britain is 90% white and their polls suck

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Avenging_Mikon posted:

She is. but the answer is probably both of you

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Avenging_Mikon posted:

She is but she's running on a more progressive platform than Bill ever did because she responds to voter demands like a professional politician should. She's not a proper leftist or anything but what she's running on is far and away better than any other options.

As an aside, they're running billboard ads in Milwaukee for Johnson now, saying that he's the only sane candidate running. :laffo:

AMorePerfctGoonion
Aug 11, 2016

by exmarx
He is. Everyone is a neoliberal these days, and if you think Trump isn't then you're going to be very disappointed if he becomes presidents and stacks his cabinet with business people who depend on global free trade and the free immigration of labor.

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer

This is a great example of cherry-picking data to try to prove a theory. Also Obama 2008, which would be a huge outlier, is conspicuously absent from their graph.

EDIT: I'm guessing that share button placement on the image isn't intentional, but seriously they need to fix their labeling if all their graphs end up like that.

Chuu fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Sep 2, 2016

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

WeAreTheRomans posted:

but the answer is probably both of you

Sounds about right. Thanks

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Really, this is a term that has been so corrupted over time it's best not to use it. I personally think she fits the classic definition pretty well considering I still have pro-TARP Hillary as my template for figuring out how she reasons about economic issues -- and not the new anti-TARP Hillary which I feel (but cannot prove) is not representative of her personal economic viewpoints.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Lightning Knight posted:

She is but she's running on a more progressive platform than Bill ever did because she responds to voter demands like a professional politician should. She's not a proper leftist or anything but what she's running on is far and away better than any other options.

As an aside, they're running billboard ads in Milwaukee for Johnson now, saying that he's the only sane candidate running. :laffo:

Best part is that "they" probably mean the Koch brothers, if it's a campaign ad

It's funny how Clinton and Trump are the worst but Johnson is great, but as soon as you ask them what they like or explain his frankly disastrous tenure as NM gov it's hands clapped on ears.

This is, of course, why 3rd party candidates always poll like 6-8x higher than their final turnout ends up being, because none of their supporters actually intend to go out and vote for them. They just want to feel above it all

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

iospace posted:

https://twitter.com/KatyTurNBC/status/771547705705324544

Maybe now they can shut up about SOME THINGS.

In flight drinks with Hillary needs to be the new beer with Obama.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
http://www.theonion.com/article/tim-kaine-found-riding-conveyor-belt-during-factor-53580

:3: Onion Tim Kaine is gonna be the best.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

I kind of thought Onion Tim Kaine would be an overly nice guy who goes to ridiculous lengths to help others at his own expense, but this childlike Onion Kaine seems good enough for the next four or eight years. No Diamond Joe though obviously.

max4me
Jun 15, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Epic High Five posted:

They just want to feel above it all

Yep I got into it with a far distant family member, I guess it was awkward for her cause she just met me, and I was fool hardy to bring up my friend who is gonna touch the johnson.

She said hilary is bad and she is voting third party. I went into my simpsons. "GO AHEAD THROW YOUR VOTE AWAY" voice.

She left the room.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

I actually don't know a good taco place around here because I always do pupusas.

La Casita on Piney Branch in Silver Spring

e: they also have a huge carne asada for $9.95

There's a good Mexican place down on Randolph and new Hampshire. Pollo Mex. It's got a generic name but the food is amazing.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Neoliberal is a word that means different things to different people. Does she believe in incrementally modifying the institutions of capitalism and free trade? Yes. Does she buy into gently caress-you-got-mine-ism and wants to shrink the size of the state? No. Is she to the left of Obama and is probably the most left wing president since Carter? Yes. Will she deliver Full Communism Now? No.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Nichael posted:

I kind of thought Onion Tim Kaine would be an overly nice guy who goes to ridiculous lengths to help others at his own expense, but this childlike Onion Kaine seems good enough for the next four or eight years. No Diamond Joe though obviously.

I kind of don't like Onion Kaine. Onion Biden was great bexause they looked at the way Biden was portrayed as a gaffe machine and went, nah, we're gonna play in our own sandbox. This is just what everybody sees when they look at Tim Kaine.

hexenmexen
May 15, 2016

by exmarx

How Trump charms wealthy donors in private — by seeking their advice

Apparently Trump doesn't seek policy advice from experts or Republican party operatives but from rich donors, who see a different Trump - quiet, attentive, note-taking. And Trump actually listens to what they say - his famous apology came after a session with Sheldon Adelson who told Trump off for running his mouth, his wavering on immigration came after Andrew Sabin told him deporting 11 million people was impractical and his attacks on Clinton for poor judgement were suggested by Peter Leidel. Though by far the donor with the most pull seems to be Robert Mercer, the NY billionaire who suggested Trump hire Bannon, Conway and now Bossie, the anti-Clinton attack dog.

I think this tells us a lot about how Trump values people - only fellow wealthy business people are of worth and expert knowledge from scientists or politicians is to be dismissed. A Trump presidency might not be an autocracy but a plutocracy in which the rich 1% run America's policy regardless of how ignorant they may be about their portfolios. It also emphasizes that Trump is an empty suit that repeats what people tell him; he lacks any internal convictions and judgement. It is also consistent with the reports that Trump officials are desperate to get his ear since he tends to follow the advice of whoever spoke to him last.

I think he realizes how stupid a lot of his supporters are, but he still seems obsessed with getting their adoration at those rallies he loves so much.

This is how Hillary is campaigning as well, and not only does she take money from wealthy donors but she takes money from regimes with values opposite of the average American.

The argument that she is progressive is hardly believable as well, considering she married a guy who had the values enough to enable the housing bubble and signed NAFTA. It's much further than that too the idea that she believes in any accountability is laughable. She ran a private server deleted emails then lied and said she only deleted personal ones not related to work, which has been proven to be false. Also she attempted to blame Colin Powell for setting the precedent of running a private server, when she already had it up and running, then went ask Powell about the legality of it.

The woman has no moral compass. And she more egregiously takes money from the highest bidder than Trump. All campaigns have private closed door meetings with wealthy donors the difference Trump isn't taking money from the Saudis and George Soros... at least at the moment.

ColonelDimak
May 1, 2007

Guardian of the Salsa

I'm really looking forward to Tim Kaine as America's Dad

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

Rochallor posted:

I kind of don't like Onion Kaine. Onion Biden was great bexause they looked at the way Biden was portrayed as a gaffe machine and went, nah, we're gonna play in our own sandbox. This is just what everybody sees when they look at Tim Kaine.

Not everyone

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4jYBKg-7_8

ColonelDimak
May 1, 2007

Guardian of the Salsa

hexenmexen posted:

This is how Hillary is campaigning as well, and not only does she take money from wealthy donors but she takes money from regimes with values opposite of the average American.

The argument that she is progressive is hardly believable as well, considering she married a guy who had the values enough to enable the housing bubble and signed NAFTA. It's much further than that too the idea that she believes in any accountability is laughable. She ran a private server deleted emails then lied and said she only deleted personal ones not related to work, which has been proven to be false. Also she attempted to blame Colin Powell for setting the precedent of running a private server, when she already had it up and running, then went ask Powell about the legality of it.

The woman has no moral compass. And she more egregiously takes money from the highest bidder than Trump. All campaigns have private closed door meetings with wealthy donors the difference Trump isn't taking money from the Saudis and George Soros... at least at the moment.

Stfu with your retarded conspiracy theories and go back to Breitbart.
All of these claims have been refuted every month in these threads since Hillary started campaigning for president.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

hexenmexen posted:

You've convinced me. I'll vote for the orange Hitler clown, because the alternative is someone who snuck around overly restrictive IT policy one time.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

hexenmexen posted:

Please source your quotes

AMorePerfctGoonion
Aug 11, 2016

by exmarx
These people who are against Clinton for being supposedly corrupt don't seem to give a drat about political corruption in itself. The Libertarians don't even have a policy about the effect of money in politics AFAIK, and they seem to ignore the possibility of corruption in general by being against government regulation and regulatory bodies like the SEC. Trump was originally sold as the anti-politician who would fund his own campaign but we all know how well that went, and now he is even employing the guy behind Citizens United. At least Clinton has promised to overturn Citizens United vs FEC with a constitutional amendment, but nobody seems to talk about this.

If you listen to people there seems to be a groundswell of resentment against the political process in this country, and in particular the effect of money. People say they don't trust politicians but do nothing about it. Really it's just a bullshit excuse so that you can be cynical and lazy, not make an effort to follow politics, and then feel like you are superior to the people who actually give a poo poo.

hexenmexen: Your cognitive dissonance is showing. Guess my post came too close to the bone. But I think you'll find a more receptive audience in one of your cult-right safe spaces.

AMorePerfctGoonion fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Sep 2, 2016

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

hexenmexen posted:

:laffo: is that a Trump supporter in the wild? Or better yet, a Bernie bro?

Please tell us your opinions on Jewish bankers/segregation and the free market/Mexican immigrants/women's rights.

Actually just go back to GBS where they believe such tripe and happily :ohdear: about emails like they loving matter.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
bernie

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/771672562287935488

I just love these ads. "Here's what he said. Here's what actually happened. Your call"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

canepazzo posted:

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/771672562287935488

I just love these ads. "Here's what he said. Here's what actually happened. Your call"

Yeah, but it can't break through the delusion that the right wing has built up for itself. Fortunately, they are not the majority anymore.

• Locked thread