Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Veotax posted:

From what I hear, pretty much. Buying property sounds worthless in GTAV

I bought some shithole bar up in uhhh Paleto Bay I think? And had a couple calls to head up there and deal with biker gangs that were shooting up the place. Those were nice little diversions, admittedly. But yeah a lot of the stuff in the game wasn't fully baked, as much as I genuinely enjoy the game for the most part. I did feel it was way better than IV in that regard, IV was about as empty a world as LA Noire and at that point, impressive as it might be, why even bother with an open world?

e; Best not snype with a complaint in the favorite little things thread. Okay still in GTA V, if you manage to waste Michael as one of the others he'll text you once he's out of hospital and say "HAHAHAHAHA! Pay my hospital bill." They all say different things along those lines, but that's really funny to me for some reason.

Ms Adequate has a new favorite as of 20:35 on Aug 31, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Mister Adequate posted:

e; Best not snype with a complaint in the favorite little things thread. Okay still in GTA V, if you manage to waste Michael as one of the others he'll text you once he's out of hospital and say "HAHAHAHAHA! Pay my hospital bill." They all say different things along those lines, but that's really funny to me for some reason.

As with the cars, also applies to most of the named NPCs that hang around.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

muscles like this? posted:

Playing Deus Ex: Mankind Divided and doing the "Glitch" side mission. Adam is standing there dealing with his standard crazy stuff by being aloof and then all of a sudden he gets blind sided by the return of a character and his defenses go down, he puts away his shades and starts acting more like a normal person.

He snaps his glasses shut whenever it's clear he does not give a poo poo about who he's dealing with, or doesn't want them thinking he gives a poo poo. Dude's vocal range and the increased facial animation have come a long way.

Just a shame everyone jerks around so often. :v:

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

GTA5 is an amazing world but a pretty boring game. Seriously hope Rockstar start amping up the actual gameplay rather than just blowing all their budget and time on their 'living world' stuff for 6. Immersion is great and all but it only carries you as far as there's stuff to do.

GTA Online prints money and is where most of the focus for GTA 5 is, so if you don't like GTA online like me, then you are hosed for post game content.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

I'm playing through Deus Ex: HR before grabbing the sequel when it inevitably goes on sale, and I love what happens when you tranq guys sitting on barstools:

It's like a backbend clinic at a yoga studio.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

poptart_fairy posted:

He snaps his glasses shut whenever it's clear he does not give a poo poo about who he's dealing with, or doesn't want them thinking he gives a poo poo. Dude's vocal range and the increased facial animation have come a long way.

Just a shame everyone jerks around so often. :v:

The glasses are definitely used to distinguish between emotional-human Adam and stone-cold-badass Adam, but I'm not really impressed with the facial animation so far. All he seems to do when talking to anyone is waver between greater and lesser degrees of frowning.

Except one time he did an almost-spittake and it was hilarious, I think when the dirty cop's gang told him the price of the forged papers. I want a gif of that.

Spikey
May 12, 2001

From my cold, dead hands!

Grey Fox posted:

I'm playing through Deus Ex: HR before grabbing the sequel when it inevitably goes on sale, and I love what happens when you tranq guys sitting on barstools:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WurvuEgf77s

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

haveblue posted:

The glasses are definitely used to distinguish between emotional-human Adam and stone-cold-badass Adam, but I'm not really impressed with the facial animation so far. All he seems to do when talking to anyone is waver between greater and lesser degrees of frowning.

Except one time he did an almost-spittake and it was hilarious, I think when the dirty cop's gang told him the price of the forged papers. I want a gif of that.
Yeah every time Adam gets surprised by something his eyebrows pretty much jump into his forehead and its really hilarious, especially since most of the time he's completely stone-faced.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Even then, the facial animation on adam compared to the NPCs is like witcher 3's facial animation compared to witcher 1's. The facial animation is baaaaad in mankind divided.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

the cutscene animation in MD is just bad on PC. jittery, janky and over-exaggerated, like talking to a bobblehead on a train

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get
it is funny that whomever is responsible for animations in the the DX series at eidos is still hilariously incompetent. They were bad in HR and they are still bad in MD.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
At least there's no more "everyone crosses their arms and does a gangster lean" pose. Now it's just gesturing to the air slightly to the left of you.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
Mankind Divided: God I love the new cover takedowns.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

i like to nod like an advanced als patient whenever i agree with a minor conversational point but youd think a sociey with brain-machine interface augmented people walking around would have ironed that out by now

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Grey Fox posted:

It's also fun to throw a concussion grenade at the breakdancers in the subway in Detroit and send their ragdolls flying everywhere.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

graybook posted:

Mankind Divided: God I love the new cover takedowns.

I like that there's exactly two lethal takedown animations for any situation (in cover, in the open, around a corner).

Rampant Dwickery
Nov 12, 2011

Comfy and cozy.

Efexeye posted:

the cutscene animation in MD is just bad on PC. jittery, janky and over-exaggerated, like talking to a bobblehead on a train

At least someone's developed a cure for Aug-induced Parkinson's Disease!

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
So, since God Eater 2 just released a couple days ago on steam (along with a free remake of the first if you buy it), I want to restate my love for some of the systems that are in them. As a monster hunter style game where you collect bits of monsters to upgrade your equipment, and with several distinct tiers of items, its an amazing utility that you can pay a bit of money to convert one of a higher tier material to a bunch of lower tier materials, or the opposite way around. I remember that one set of really cool looking stuff required a bunch of materials that had like a 10% drop rate from one enemy only found in a few missions, but a variant of that enemy guaranteed a drop each time you beat its missions, so I fought the variant, transformed its material to a lower tier version that I then transformed into the one I needed. The variant was more fun to fight and it felt quicker overall.

After you reached the top tier of a piece of equipment you could alter it to look like it did at the other stages along the way, if that weapon changed appearance on that particular branch. It was super cheap too.

And the bullet system, oh god the bullet system. Sure you could go with just the normal bullets you bought at the shop, but those are just boring standard poo poo. If you tinker with bullets a bit you can get some really cool effects. You basically had a list of bullet effects that you could connect to each other in various ways and at various angles and such, which could lead to really cool or useful custom poo poo. They even put in versions of pretty much every shot type that did no damage but could connect to other shots, so you could set up cheap carriers or use them as decoration.
Some simple but useful poo poo you could put together very easily:
Make an orb that spins rapidly in space, stick the AOE heal shot on there. You now have a 360 degree large heal for minorly increased ammo use.
Get a homing laser/bullet. Stick an orb that follows that bullet on the front, possibly make it one that points towards the enemy. Put an AOE (emitter) on that. You now have a ranged homing flamethrower.
Get a fast long range bullet. When it hits make it form a sticky orb. Connect that to a sequence of shots on time delay. You now have an IOD, Internal Organ Destruction bullet, which makes breaking parts much easier.
Or do something fancy, like set up a couple of shots veering off at opposite angles so they go in a v from you, set them to shoot shots straight forwards after a fifth of a second, and attach AOE flamethrowers pointing inwards from those at a 90 degree angle. You now get a bar of death that flies forwards from you.

I am definitely getting back into it soon.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

God Eater 2 review posted:

Very solid port to PC, unmovable 60 fps, A bunch of underboob, sideboob

Sounds like a solid game.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Tagichatn posted:

I fail to see the sarcasm in this post

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

The actual gameplay mechanics are super shallow. The world itself is largely empty and has very little to do that isn't just driving around. It has impressive size and detail but is largely skin-deep as there's no meaningful way to interact with most of it. It's massive but that size actually works against it because the interesting things to do in the world are spread out extremely thinly. It's polished as hell and a very impressive achievement but it's got little to do in-world if you're not interested in just driving around causing things to explode. (And if you're looking to cause things to explode a lot of the competition is less polished but offers more options.)
Yep, this. I still think it's fundamentally a good and fun game, it's just that gameplay-wise, it's a more-or-less linear story with an incredibly detailed backdrop.

It's not helping that I'm coming at it straight out of Arkham Knight, which has just about the best sidequest/collectibles integration I've ever seen.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

My Lovely Horse posted:

Yep, this. I still think it's fundamentally a good and fun game, it's just that gameplay-wise, it's a more-or-less linear story with an incredibly detailed backdrop.

It's not helping that I'm coming at it straight out of Arkham Knight, which has just about the best sidequest/collectibles integration I've ever seen.

It's going to sound really crazy but I think it's the same issue that people had with GTA4, the whole shift towards the GTA series being more "serious" or "realistic" really just kind of kicks it in the balls. I use quotes because it's still a series where you can get a UFO and other crazy poo poo. But most people still tend to say the previous installments were their favorites and usually the divide is because they expected you to be an almost saints row-styled lunatic in those games and basically played the straight-man to the player's actions. GTA4 and 5 grudgingly put up with your antics while they wait for you to go to the next big set piece rockstar worked so hard to include. Hell, most people were excited for GTAOnline because they were excited thinking it would basically be like one of those old GTA multiplayer mods but were sorely disappointed to find out the game tries to make you sit in a corner and feel bad about what you've done if you start to cause any kind of chaos involving other players.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Guy Mann posted:

It's also fun to throw a concussion grenade at the breakdancers in the subway in Detroit and send their ragdolls flying everywhere.
For some reason, whenever I was going to take a break from HR, I would go back to the subway and just beat the poo poo out of one of them, and then go down guns blazing and exit from the game over screen. Good times.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I can see the appeal. I threw a smoke grenade at a tour group because it seemed like a good idea at the time. When the cops started shooting I went up to one to do a takedown, except jensen just spun 90 degrees and gutted a poor man who was standing too close to the action

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

Tagichatn posted:

A Metal Gear Solid Game :grin:

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I've gotta say, however much of a shortcoming you think GTA V's lack of sidequests if, at least it makes it easy to go for a replay since the later story missions don't rely on you having a certain level of upgrades gained through side activities, so you can just breeze through everything. Doesn't count for much since there's mission replay, but if you pick the good heist members first time around, you're not gonna get the improvements on the bad ones through that if you pick different crews.

e: and if you do mission replay I'm guessing you're probably also not gonna get side conversations like post-mission phone calls, lifeinvader updates...

My Lovely Horse has a new favorite as of 22:24 on Sep 1, 2016

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
The heists are so bloody fun I wish there were a lot more in singleplayer.

I'd pay for an expansion pack that was like ten more heist missions.

Mr. 47
Jul 8, 2008

Well, I guess I'll just go fuck myself, then.
I got GTA V on PC and never got the framerate to a playable level. Like, it'll be fine on foot. But as soon as I get in a car, the whole thing bogs down, even with the lowest settings.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Mr. 47 posted:

I got GTA V on PC and never got the framerate to a playable level. Like, it'll be fine on foot. But as soon as I get in a car, the whole thing bogs down, even with the lowest settings.

I think disabling the anti-aliasing helped a ton for me. try that

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

My Lovely Horse posted:

I've gotta say, however much of a shortcoming you think GTA V's lack of sidequests if, at least it makes it easy to go for a replay since the later story missions don't rely on you having a certain level of upgrades gained through side activities, so you can just breeze through everything. Doesn't count for much since there's mission replay, but if you pick the good heist members first time around, you're not gonna get the improvements on the bad ones through that if you pick different crews.

e: and if you do mission replay I'm guessing you're probably also not gonna get side conversations like post-mission phone calls, lifeinvader updates...

The side characters are also pretty great in GTA: V. Lamar is pretty much one of the best GTA characters ever.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I played a fair amount of GTA5 online and had no idea what to do.
I'd drive around, get killed, spawn near my killer and get killed again. I'd kill them back and get stalked for a while. Stealing and chopping cars was okay if the drop off points weren't being camped (they were).

Then I'd rob a store and evade the police very easily. Uhh... Sometimes I'd wait in a PvP lobby for 20 minutes for some very boring FPS pistol-only match. Once we tried a heist but it bugged out and I got stuck in an empty room without a door and was there even after logging off.

Maybe I don't *get* GTA online.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

The side characters are also pretty great in GTA: V. Lamar is pretty much one of the best GTA characters ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ko2jueHvdy8&t=17s

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

The timing on that tutorial is the best part of that scene.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCFwvngf0GM

If you watch video you don't need to play the game, you've already seen the best part.

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.
There's a small timeframe during the story when you can already control all three characters, but Franklin and Trevor haven't met yet. If you keep following one with the other they will eventually get weirded out and knock you out, sending you to the hospital.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Slink Johnson, who played Lamar, says that he was originally supposed to have a larger role but something happened that kept him from being able to spend a lot of time on the game so they cut his part down.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Slink Johnson, who played Lamar, says that he was originally supposed to have a larger role but something happened that kept him from being able to spend a lot of time on the game so they cut his part down.

I wonder if that's why he became such a big part of GTA Online.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Started playing Driver San Francisco on steam cause I found out my PC can run it, and I loved it on the xbox 360 even though I never beat it due to being poo poo at cornering. I love the tone, Tanner starts off selfish and driven, but in his coma the game starts making him behave. The world itself is telling him to be less of a poo poo. The billboards start off: "Do it." "Do it again" telling him to shift in to other drivers, then when he shifts into the cop car the sign changes to "HELP THEM" With Tanner's response being "Alright, you want me to help people? Fine". I also like that later in the game Tanner recognises the rules of the situation and is fine playing within them. His partner is bewildered at his cavalier attitude, but a great example is when they are chasing the Femme Fatale character. She leaves the section of the map Tanner has unlocked, ending up out of his reach. Tanner just responds with "Well, I guess I'm not supposed to catch her yet. I'll get her eventually, when the time is right..." He is an interesting protagonist as he feels the controller in his back metaphorically speaking, but because the rules are allowing him to get closer to catching Jericho, he's fine trusting the invisible hand of fate to guide him. It's not often you have a character who becomes fatalistic about being a game character.

overeager overeater
Oct 16, 2011

"The cosmonauts were transfixed with wonderment as the sun set - over the Earth - there lucklessly, untethered Comrade Todd on fire."

BioEnchanted posted:

I also like that later in the game Tanner recognises the rules of the situation and is fine playing within them.

Try jumping between cars while out of the coma.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Recently started up Breath of Fire IV for the first time. So far it's alright. I've noticed that in combat sometimes the camera will pull back during attacks far enough that you can see the inactive members of your party watching from behind. Just a neat little detail.