Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

bull3964 posted:

It would be dumb to do that for a single public showing.

I don't disagree, but Paramount is no stranger to making dumb decisions. In fact, I don't think PHE has announced any UHD releases from its catalog outside of Trek '09 and Into Darkness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Timby posted:

I don't disagree, but Paramount is no stranger to making dumb decisions. In fact, I don't think PHE has announced any UHD releases from its catalog outside of Trek '09 and Into Darkness.

Beyond is getting a UHD release, at least in the Amazon gift set. It's something, at least :shrug:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Gorewar posted:

I wonder what the wow.wad of holodeck programs would look like. I hope they get into this in a future series.

Oh, I'm sure they'll show them in Discovery, because gently caress canon and they'll just have more advanced tech than TNG 100 years later. :downs:

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Timby posted:

TMNT 2 has been announced.

Paramount has gone one record saying that they will not release any titles without HDR10, so that would slow releases a bit.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I was feeling nostalgic so I thought I'd go rewatch some DS9, but as I go through the lists of episodes I find that, in truth, what really made DS9 so wonderful...well, lots of things did, but it was that it really does form a complete journey for all the characters within. It wasn't enough to just see Odo and Quark climb a mountain--it was seeing Odo and Quark climb a mountain after five years of their bickering and laughing and scheming. It's seeing S1 Bashir go from a kind of dorky know-it all with a weakness for women to being O'Brien's totally hetero life partner. The friendship between the Chief and Bashir grows over years and years and you see the various milestones they encounter along the way. So much of the show's strength was its fixed setting, and the sheer depth of characterization that the station and the world that went through it enjoyed within that show's run.

I ultimately didn't watch any episodes besides the Q one, because I realize I had never actually seen it. Sisko's doofy shrug after he punches him is choice and O'Brien just immediately recognizing Q, realizing what's about to happen, and doing the smart thing by informing everyone immediately. Q is super creepy, I always forget how creepy he is. But it's like, if I was going to watch the show again, I'd want to/need to watch it in sequence. It's really the best way.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Astroman posted:

Oh, I'm sure they'll show them in Discovery, because gently caress canon and they'll just have more advanced tech than TNG 100 years later. :downs:
Nah, they had what was for all intents and purposes a Holodeck in that era.

It's in The Animated Series.

it's canon

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Other TAS canon:
Magic is real and the Devil is a real (chill) guy.
There's a fantastical giant clone of Spock wandering the universe.
The K'zinti from Larry Niven's books exist in the Star Trek universe and have fought the federation.
Star Fleet personnel are equipped with personal force fields, but only choose to use them when it would save the animators money.
In space, everyone sounds like James Doohan (or Magel Barrett sometimes).

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I ultimately didn't watch any episodes besides the Q one, because I realize I had never actually seen it. Sisko's doofy shrug after he punches him is choice and O'Brien just immediately recognizing Q, realizing what's about to happen, and doing the smart thing by informing everyone immediately. Q is super creepy, I always forget how creepy he is. But it's like, if I was going to watch the show again, I'd want to/need to watch it in sequence. It's really the best way.

Best O'brien moment is when Worf joins the show and he complains to him that the enterprise holodeck and transporters never worked.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Duckbag posted:

Other TAS canon:
There's a fantastical giant clone of Spock wandering the universe.
The K'zinti from Larry Niven's books exist in the Star Trek universe and have fought the federation.
Star Fleet personnel are equipped with personal force fields, but only choose to use them when it would save the animators money.
In space, everyone sounds like James Doohan (or Magel Barrett sometimes).
Lucien should have appeared to Dukat and tried to talk him down.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Duckbag posted:

I've never seen the star trek cartoon but I just watched this episode and it's amazing.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Next Thursday through Sunday on BBC America, they're airing the first two seasons of TOS in HD to celebrate the 50th anniversary.

Dirty
Apr 8, 2003

Ceci n'est pas un fabricant de pates

Scudworth posted:

MAC released their Star Trek makeup collection today and my sister works at one of their stores. All day selling makeup sets to neckbeards who have never talked to a woman before nor have any interest in what they're actually buying.

Then... why are they buying it? :confused:

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

Dirty posted:

Then... why are they buying it? :confused:

Obsessive trek collectors.

Scudworth fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Sep 2, 2016

Dirty
Apr 8, 2003

Ceci n'est pas un fabricant de pates

Scudworth posted:

Obsessive trek collectors.

Wow. Once you get down to that level, the amount of stuff they have must be enormous. I bet they have those commemorative plates from the 90s. And those ridiculous huge commbadges that they used to sell on QVC that made a tinny noise when you pressed down really hard on a specific point in the middle.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

I may be a stylistically ignorant neckbeard weirdo, but... I don't think that those characters actually had that makeup. Like, I'd remember if Uhura had worn olive lipstick, right?

e: Is this like the trendy girl equivalent of that time I got the cool batman toy but it turned out to be like Space Commander Batman or some poo poo and he was wearing a purple suit and had a rocket launcher for some reason?

Duckbox fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Sep 2, 2016

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum
You can't think like that when you're doing a tie in, I mean if you want to get specific why is Seven there looking glamorous for no reason instead of someone who wore visible makeup like T'Pol

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Baronjutter posted:

I've never seen the star trek cartoon but I just watched this episode and it's amazing.

Watch the rest of it, seriously. You wouldn't think there'd be any other episode as crazy as that one, and yet.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Also canon: Kirk Is A Jerk

The Reverand Me
May 12, 2007
Let's make Gravy!
Watching TNG Schisms, this episode scared me when I was a kid and I'm not surprised. There are and couple of scenes that are genuinely really creepy. The holodeck scene is fantastic.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

Dirty posted:

Wow. Once you get down to that level, the amount of stuff they have must be enormous. I bet they have those commemorative plates from the 90s. And those ridiculous huge commbadges that they used to sell on QVC that made a tinny noise when you pressed down really hard on a specific point in the middle.

QVC is where I got my Star Trek Encyclopedia :-D

Watched this episode last night and haven't thought about "Geordie...I cannot stun my cat" in a very long time:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I never realised that TAS didn't use the real TOS theme. It's like some copyright-dodging version of the theme.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

The_Doctor posted:

I never realised that TAS didn't use the real TOS theme. It's like some copyright-dodging version of the theme.

TNG doesn't use the TOS theme either. Like the TAS theme it just shares elements of it with unique changes that reflect its personality.

Those jerks not playing the same crap for 50 years.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

I wish someone would record over TAS with Archer-style dialogue, in the style of Swear Trek.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

Zurui posted:

I wish someone would record over TAS with Archer-style dialogue, in the style of Swear Trek.

Your wish has been granted!

http://www.starchertrek.com/

Apple Jax
May 19, 2008

IDIC 4 LYF
Just saw the DS9 panel at the NYC con and man Armin Shimerman especially is a delight.
Here's a blurry cell photo!!

Anyway what is up with people at cons who ask lovely questions? Every time they open up questions to the audience there's at least one rear end in a top hat who tells his life story and then finally gets around to asking his question and it's something completely inane.

One question was good though (or at least the answer was good). Some guy asked for advice to get his friends to watch DS9 who thought it 'wasn't really star trek since it doesn't take place on a starship' and Armin Shimerman's answer was "Star Trek was never about the ships, it was about the hope." which, yeah, is a little corny but I thought it was pretty sweet :unsmith:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The_Doctor posted:

Presumably they didn't have the money to pay royalties to Sandy Courage.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

This is really great! But in my overactive imagination it's something more than an overdubbed clip show.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Timby posted:

Presumably they didn't have the money to pay royalties to Sandy Courage.

Half of it would have gone to Roddenberry because of his bogus "lyrics" though, right?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Duckbag posted:

Half of it would have gone to Roddenberry because of his bogus "lyrics" though, right?

Right, but Filmation was still fronting the production costs and TAS was made on the tightest of budgets -- they were already having to do things like have Shatner record his dialogue from across the country then pay to have the tapes shipped to the studio, and the money crunch is why Koenig wasn't involved and why every alien in the galaxy sounds suspiciously like a certain Canadian character actor.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Timby posted:

Right, but Filmation was still fronting the production costs and TAS was made on the tightest of budgets -- they were already having to do things like have Shatner record his dialogue from across the country then pay to have the tapes shipped to the studio, and the money crunch is why Koenig wasn't involved and why every alien in the galaxy sounds suspiciously like a certain Canadian character actor.

Not true. Sometimes they got Majel or Nichelle to do the alien voices!

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

TAS is really sweet in an insane sort of way. Uhura gets some more characterization, developing a really take-charge attitude.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
https://twitter.com/BryanFuller/status/771872524619489280

Ok.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Leonardo da Vinci, finally a Holodeck character more annoying than Vic Fontaine.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_z8KwGMncog

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

The reservoir tips are a nice touch.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Rhyno posted:

Leonardo da Vinci, finally a Holodeck character more annoying than Vic Fontaine.

Professor Salah "Gimli" Arturo da Vinchi is OK, as holodeck characters go.

Also, Vic is awesome. Maybe YOU are a bad holodeck character.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
That's actually a kind of funny.point. Janeway starts with having some haunted manor holoromance with a British Lord guy, like a shitter Jane Eyre.

Then when we're about to get into the ghost mom subplot she starts getting holowet for the guy and deletes the program.

Then she's hanging out with Le-o-nar-do! He even gets an adventure episode with her where they fly his glider. 7 comes into the picture. We get some lame "The Professor has moved to The New World" and never see him again.

Then nothing until the white bread as gently caress holotown.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Were they still doing replicator rations when Fair Haven came around or had they just forgotten about it entirely?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Cojawfee posted:

Were they still doing replicator rations when Fair Haven came around or had they just forgotten about it entirely?

Yes, but the holodeck uses a separate power source totally incompatible with any other system, even for starfleet engineers that can make replicators from rocks and even on a ship that successfully integrates totally alien technology multiple times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.