Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I don't have time for this poo poo, game. I've got a job, a wife, a son, a gently caress ton of laundry, and a podcast to edit. Just tell me where there gently caress to go

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

Guy Goodbody posted:

Nintendo fired the guy who invented Metroid?

And then he died in a car crash, yeah.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

ErichZahn posted:

And then he died in a car crash, yeah.

After forcing him to push virtual boy out the door when he thought it wasnt ready

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

, and putting him in charge so they can do the classic managerial trick of if it fails, blame, if it succeeds, take credit.

I'm reasonably sure there was some hosed up intra-Japanese classism/racism going on there.

Big Hubris fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Sep 2, 2016

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Then shouldn't the anger and Metal Gear Solid comparisons have come when the first Metroid Prime came out? Instead of now, when the fourth Metroid Prime came out and some people didn't like it because you don't get to play as the sexy babe?

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Guy Goodbody posted:

Then shouldn't the anger and Metal Gear Solid comparisons have come when the first Metroid Prime came out? Instead of now, when the fourth Metroid Prime came out and some people didn't like it because you don't get to play as the sexy babe?

b-but it's not a REAL metroid game, even though it's a first party metroid game titled Metroid Prime! It's been nine years since the last (good) metroid game, didn't you know? We DESERVE a REAL metroid game! I don't care that Federation Force has been in development since the DSiWare days, it's been nine years!

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Guy Goodbody posted:

If you think people weren't complaining about Metroid Prime being a first person game after no Metroid games since the Super Nintendo you're highly mistaken.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

oddium posted:

fusion is much prettier, has stellar controls, very atmospheric, great fights

ah but it tells you where to go with dialogue
This is all true. It's still a very good game but slightly hurt by its linear nature. Also that stupid Spider boss. I got stuck on him and haven't picked it up since.

One day, Nintendo will produce the perfect Metroid game.

I am playing through Super Metroid on my New Nintendo 3DS XL lately and it is A Good Game. I'm still terrible at wall jumping though, although I did manage to do a wall jump into a morph ball to get an upgrade, after about 100 attempts. In that area where the little creatures teach you how to wall jump.

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS
Which is the best 2d metroid?

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

FPzero posted:

Are we talking about the actual physics and handling of Samus? I don't remember really having any problem with the controls the first time I played it. I just needed to configure the face buttons to be mapped in a way I liked.

I will admit that Samus is much floatier in Super Metroid than in later entries though.
I was, at any rate. There's nothing particularly wrong with the controls in the sense of button mapping, when I say "controls" I generally mean "what the character does in response to me pressing buttons". I mostly play PC games where the only way you can mess up button layout is by not letting me remap it or by having too many things bound to one button due to a low effort console port.

Mad Katter posted:

Which is the best 2d metroid?
Super Metroid is marred by the floaty physics, Fusion is marred by reduced freedom, Zero Mission and AM2R are marred by their lineage as remakes of awkward early Metroids. AM2R is also a bit buggy and I'm guessing after the takedown it won't exactly get ongoing support.

I'd start with Super Metroid if you haven't played any of them, once you get used to how Samus handles everything else is pretty cool. Zero Mission and Fusion are both good as well, you can play those in any order but Fusion is more of a departure so you can decide if you want more of the same or something fresher. AM2R is worth playing but I'd exhaust all the official games first.

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS
Cool!

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

irlZaphod posted:

One day, Nintendo will produce the perfect Metroid game.
Zero Mission and Prime 1 are both perfect games.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Other perfect Nintendo games: Mario 3, Super Mario World, Yoshi's Island, Mario Galaxy 2, Mario 3D World, Link To The Past, Splatoon, Super Smash Bros. Melee (even if you prefer other games, and I prefer 4, Melee defined the series for a reason), Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze, Captain Toad.

Nintendo games tend to have a huge amount of polish and not a lot of flaws, although unsurprisingly the Mario series has the largest number of perfect games. It's the simplest and most focused on doing one thing. Nintendo games tend to just do one thing and do it well, unlike a lot of AAA titles that try to do a ton of things and don't pull them all off. I think this is also why the Zelda series has the most missteps of a mainline Nintendo franchise: they're the most complex and have the most different parts and pieces.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Also Kirby's Adventure and Kirby Superstar (and the KS Ultra remake on DS, which polished the graphics while preserving the original, but not the KA remake for GBA, which lost all the charm of the simple but memorable NES graphics).

One of the Pokemon games might be perfect, but I don't know the series well enough to say. Given everything they try to do and how relatively complex they are there might not be a perfect game in there.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Ocarina of Time belongs to the "perfect games" from Nintendo list. It is a remarkable game.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Keep in mind that "perfect" hinges on a certain amount of limiting your ambition. Any time a game's reach exceeds its grasp it will fail to be perfect, but that doesn't mean games should always hold themselves back. Examples of imperfect but great Nintendo games: Mario 64, Mario Galaxy 1, Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, Wind Waker, the Pikmin games, Kirby's Epic Yarn/Return To Dreamland/Triple Deluxe, Super Metroid, Metroid Fusion, Metroid Prime 2, F-Zero and F-Zero GX, the Animal Crossing series, most of the Pokemon games, etc.

I haven't played the Starfox games but I suspect either Starfox on SNES or Starfox 64 should be on the perfect list.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Ocarina of Time belongs to the "perfect games" from Nintendo list. It is a remarkable game.
Maybe! I've always felt that the camera and control issues inherent in being a Nintendo 64 game hold it back, but it's never clicked with me the way it has with others. It is definitely a series-defining game.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Didn't put planet robobot on perfect Kirby games smdh

SylvainMustach
Dec 12, 2007

Superior Trash Talk!

Kashuno posted:

Didn't put planet robobot on perfect Kirby games smdh

Came to post exactly this. For shame.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

majora's mask, pikmin 1, luigi's mansion, starfox 64, tropical freeze, prime 1. that's all i got for A+ perfect at the moment. sorry thousand year door you're still extremely good

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

FactsAreUseless posted:

Other perfect Nintendo games: Mario 3, Super Mario World, Yoshi's Island, Mario Galaxy 2, Mario 3D World, Link To The Past, Splatoon, Super Smash Bros. Melee (even if you prefer other games, and I prefer 4, Melee defined the series for a reason), Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze, Captain Toad.

Nintendo games tend to have a huge amount of polish and not a lot of flaws, although unsurprisingly the Mario series has the largest number of perfect games. It's the simplest and most focused on doing one thing. Nintendo games tend to just do one thing and do it well, unlike a lot of AAA titles that try to do a ton of things and don't pull them all off. I think this is also why the Zelda series has the most missteps of a mainline Nintendo franchise: they're the most complex and have the most different parts and pieces.

I just played through N64 Paper Mario and it really stuck me how fresh and modern it felt. The graphical style still looks great, which isn't something you can say about many N64 games. Beyond graphics, everything in the game felt well explained, no odd translations, no status effects you would need to look up in the manual, nothing like that.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
The life of the Famicom going from a Donkey Kong port with 3 out of 4 screens, to Super Mario Bros, to Mario 3, is so nuts to me lol

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
The lack of Kid Icarus: Uprising on the list of perfect Nintendo games shocks and astounds me

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

The lack of Kid Icarus: Uprising on the list of perfect Nintendo games shocks and astounds me

Being horrible to play if you are left-handed alone disqualifies it from being perfect.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Prime 1 has a fetch quest. As fetch quests go, it's not bad, but it's still a fetch quest.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Yoshi island is pretty good but I think some of the transformation vehicle stuff was pretty weak and keeps it from being "perfect"

Balloon fight is perfect because for being a joust ripoff, an already perfect game, and then it adds in the fun as heck balloon trip.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Y'all sure do like some bad games :smugdog:

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Soul Glo posted:

Y'all sure do like some bad games :smugdog:

irlZaphod posted:

Imagine enjoying video games lmao

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
It's not an official game, but I've been playing Newer Super Mario Bros. as a Wii homebrew, and it's fantastic. New SMB on Wii was pretty good, but I'm very impressed by that game so far.

I am not as keen on Super Mario World as some because I found the cape to be fiddly and annoying, though I loved the multicoloured Yoshi mechanic. I still think that the GBA remake is the better version of the game even though they were morons and made it so that you can't re-enter, in a game with collectable coins no less, fortresses and boss castles until you beat Bowser. Whoever thought that was a good idea had his head stuck in a mixer.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Full write up ofnthe NX from Emily Rogers via GameXplain

https://youtu.be/3T4OxmQkSj0

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

quote:

RUMOR - NX's Final Product Features Revealed

:laffo:

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Wait, it's September, where is my NX nintendo? NINTENDOOOOO! :mad:

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

The NX is an elaborate scheme by Nintendo, and doesn't actually exist.

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

Trent posted:

Wait, it's September, where is my NX nintendo? NINTENDOOOOO! :mad:

please understand

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Not eXist.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Full write up ofnthe NX from Emily Rogers via GameXplain

https://youtu.be/3T4OxmQkSj0

I find it hard to believe that it will have a share/social button but no camera or microphone.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Guy Goodbody posted:

I find it hard to believe that it will have a share/social button but no camera or microphone.

These will be sold seperately. The NX U-View camera will be the most adorable USB webcam attachment ever.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Guy Goodbody posted:

For screenshots

InFlames235
Jan 13, 2004

LIKE THE WAVES IN THE OCEAN I WILL DIG IN YOUR FAT AND SEARCH FOR YOUR CLITORIS, BUT I WON'T SLAM WHALE
Hopefully that video is wrong about the battery life. A mobile console should be able to at least get 5 hours of battery life IMO and if this thing is around the 3 hour mark or whatever would be considered "pretty bad" that's gonna suck. Also, always figured it'd be below the PS4 in power but was hoping for it to be similar to the Xbox One in power so we'll see how that ends up shaking out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Camera and Mic are NXiibos which fit into the triple slots on the sides (3x d-pad is actually possible, and necessary for several Mario Party games.)

• Locked thread