Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

The goon who named his daughter Bernice Sandra.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AMorePerfctGoonion
Aug 11, 2016

by exmarx
It's subtle but I like the way they aren't using Trump's name. People probably switch off after hearing the T-word, given the media coverage he is getting, and it makes it seem less like a personal attack.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

canepazzo posted:

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/771672562287935488

I just love these ads. "Here's what he said. Here's what actually happened. Your call"
Has any presidential candidate ever had this much free material to work with?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Lightning Knight posted:

:laffo: is that a Trump supporter in the wild? Or better yet, a Bernie bro?

What's the difference?

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Lightning Knight posted:

I mean, the only thing Trump might care about more than rally size is the approval of people richer than him. A rich person with Serious Opinions recommended Bannon, even though he didn't have anything new or good to offer, and bam, Bannon got hired.

It's funny that the media has so much trouble with Trump because he's not some big mystery. It's just that understanding and explaining how much of a fake con man only in it for the money and the fame Trump is requires admitting that he's not qualified to be President and that this isn't a real race. God loving forbid journalists actually do their jobs and report the truth, because that would result in less pageviews and ad revenue. gently caress the media.

They fear the loss of viewers and advertisers if they appeared to take sides. What they don't seem to care about is that they are already being labeled as evil liberal traitors because the right wingers have successfully indoctrinated their base into rejecting anything that does not support the "facts" they want to believe and that bending over backwards to make their insanity and open hatred seem legitimate is only making them even more rabid. They'd benefit far more from growing the balls to tell some actual truth, but they aren't brave enough to do such a thing and stick to their "truth is in the middle" and "both sides do it" narratives to play it safe. Even if it leads to the Republicans burning the country down around them and demanding their heads for not sufficiently bowing to their whims. When a group has gotten so crazy that Fox News isn't deluded enough, they aren't worth the effort.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Those rants are weird, it's like I start out nodding in agreement "deregulating derivatives was dumb yeah!" and then it gets crazier and crazier until the Saudi-Jew alliance is holding Clinton's charity by the balls and controlling the state department from behind the scenes.

But I guess if you stick to plausible criticisms of Clinton then Trump's brain-damaged Mussolini impression and Johnson's pro-corporate naivete don't look so good in comparison, so you have to go full conspiracy nut against her to make either one of them seem like a halfway sane choice.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Sep 2, 2016

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Samurai Sanders posted:

Nope! The oppo binders have only been cracked open a couple times, the most recent was a collection of Trump's thoughts on Mexico.

AMorePerfctGoonion
Aug 11, 2016

by exmarx
The sheer conservatism of America is reason to believe that a radical nativist like Trump will be opposed by powerful forces who stand to lose a lot from a wildcard running the country like his personal business, particularly one who is going to let his wealthy friends run rampant and become like Russian oligarchs. The foreign policy community already hate him. The media may be hedging now but it is slowly becoming more openly contemptuous of Trump and I predict it will pull out all the stops to prevent him from being elected in the run-up to the election. Trump is an unpredictable character who has no ideology or moral convictions and is in the paw of his advisors. Despite his attempt to assuage the fears of wealthy donors, he still scares the technocratic managerial elite of this country and with good reason. Clinton will have donors lining up and is already dominating the ground game and the money game. To point out the obvious, Trump is in no way a conservative and the "checks and balances" of a money-driven political system in which politicians that can guarantee a favorable economic climate get the money is going to work against him.

AMorePerfctGoonion fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Sep 2, 2016

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Shillary posted:

Or, hear me out, the press can perform actual journalism instead of making up just-so stories based on answers to loaded questions being taken out of context.
Some of them will do actual journalism regardless (and currently are), some of them will never ever do that. However, it is good for your society (not good for hillary clinton, but for your country) for there to be a habit and expectation of the president being open and available to the press.
like, someone commented that the clinton foundation donor meetings story happened because the foundation was transparent beyond their strict legal requirements. Good! jesus christ, if your secretary of state's husband is taking donations that kind of transparency is the least you can ask for.
The fact that the Clintons are (or appear to be) pretty much squeaky clean is great, and you should feel good about voting for her, but the reason they bend no rules ever (well, since bill) is because they loving know they'd be found out if they step out of line. And that's a really good thing in a president. Part of that accountability is having a regular, open channel of communication with the major news outlets. Maybe she plans to start when she's elected, but she's shown no sign of it so far and that's a bad thing.

Greataval
Mar 26, 2010
The press has so much power yet are scared to use it they could just put a trump blackout till he releases his taxes. Yet thet will cry about acces like gently caress them grow some balls. They are enabling fascist allowing it to fester and grow.

AMorePerfctGoonion
Aug 11, 2016

by exmarx

Samurai Sanders posted:

On the flip side, we've never seen a personality cult like Trump's in modern times, perhaps even since FDR. I've never known the supporters of a politician to care so little about their policies and to just trust them to do the right thing once in office like Trump supporters do. I'm sure the anti-immigrant rhetoric is a powerful motivator but even when Trump wavered on immigration his supporters stuck with him and justified that he was just pretending to pivot for the sake of the election. I wish I knew why he was so hypnotically effective at what he does. Perhaps it's because he is a wealthy person that people can imagine themselves being, because he doesn't alienate the uneducated by being too young or too smart or an expert at anything in particular. And when people are afraid they naturally tend to look to authoritative older men to protect themselves.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

AMorePerfctGoonion posted:

On the flip side, we've never seen a personality cult like Trump's in modern times, perhaps even since FDR. I've never known the supporters of a politician to care so little about their policies and to just trust them to do the right thing once in office like Trump supporters do.

Oh, come on, 2008 Obama was very similar. Sure he had policy positions, unlike Trump, but a large chunk of his supporters were more caught up in his rhetoric.

E: VVV Wrong thread, buddy.

WampaLord fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Sep 2, 2016

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

WampaLord posted:

Oh, come on, 2008 Obama was very similar. Sure he had policy positions, unlike Trump, but a large chunk of his supporters were more caught up in his rhetoric.

is Dat Boi still even relevant? It's all about the Harambes these days

AMorePerfctGoonion
Aug 11, 2016

by exmarx

WampaLord posted:

It's the policies that make all the difference. Obama didn't claim that he personally could fix everything despite having few policies and flipflopping on those, that he needed to be trusted, etc. There may have been a personality cult but it wasn't reciprocated by Obama like Trump has reciprocated and specifically created his. And Obama simply didn't get away with what Trump has. Maybe you are correct, particularly among black and young voters, but it wasn't a cult that has been tested time and time again to follow regardless of lies and deception like Trump's has. I also think to be a cult leader requires a level of narcissism and a lack of self-reflection that Obama doesn't seem to have. In particular Trump's leadership style is narcissistic and Obama's isn't.

AMorePerfctGoonion fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Sep 2, 2016

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?
https://twitter.com/darrensands/status/771695031262572544

MonkeyOnFire
Jun 3, 2004
I LOVE MONKEYS

:getin:

MrBishop
Sep 30, 2006

I see what you did there...

Soiled Meat
https://twitter.com/KellyannePolls/status/771542822268784640
WhitePeople.jpg

visceril
Feb 24, 2008

Greataval posted:

The press has so much power yet are scared to use it they could just put a trump blackout till he releases his taxes. Yet thet will cry about acces like gently caress them grow some balls. They are enabling fascist allowing it to fester and grow.

"The press" isn't a cartel. If CNN or NYT decided to not cover trump anymore their competitors would seize on the opportunity to steal audience share and sell copies & get clicks.

You're getting the press you deserve. If you don't want to read banal articles about trump don't click on them and don't buy magazines with his face on the cover.

AMorePerfctGoonion
Aug 11, 2016

by exmarx

Countdown til Trump complains of biased moderators..

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

No one from PBS? What the gently caress is this poo poo?

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

AMorePerfctGoonion posted:

Countdown til Trump complains of biased moderators..

Twitter for Android incoming

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Solkanar512 posted:

No one from PBS? What the gently caress is this poo poo?

The only one who could recently passed away :smith:

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Wasn't John Dickerson supposed to be moderating one of these?

visceril
Feb 24, 2008
Let's start a change.org petition to get Garrison Keillor to moderate the debate in full character

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

visceril posted:

Let's start a change.org petition to get Garrison Keillor to moderate the debate in full character

Which character though?

AMorePerfctGoonion
Aug 11, 2016

by exmarx
The VP debate moderator is Elaine Quijano (CBS News).

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Iron Crowned posted:

Which character though?

Guy Noir, Private Eye. That way neither candidate gets more than a couple lines each.

D O R K Y
Sep 1, 2001

Does this give any indication of which moderator is going to be there for which debate? Is it in the order of 1st Presidential, VP, 2nd Pres, 3rd Pres?

AMorePerfctGoonion
Aug 11, 2016

by exmarx

Dork457 posted:

Does this give any indication of which moderator is going to be there for which debate? Is it in the order of 1st Presidential, VP, 2nd Pres, 3rd Pres?

quote:

First presidential debate:

Lester Holt, Anchor, NBC Nightly News
Monday, September 26, Hofstra University, Hempstead, NY
This debate will have six sections of 15 minutes each on topics chosen by the moderators.

Vice presidential debate:

Elaine Quijano, Anchor, CBSN and Correspondent, CBS News
Tuesday, October 4, Longwood University, Farmville, VA
This debate will consist of nine sections of ten minutes ueach.

Second presidential debate:

Martha Raddatz, Chief Global Affairs Correspondent and Co-Anchor of "This Week," ABC and Anderson Cooper, Anchor, CNN
Sunday, October 9, Washington University in St. Louis, St. Louis, MO
This debate will be town-hall style (think chairs and not podiums). Members of the audience will be able to ask questions

Third presidential debate:

Chris Wallace, Anchor, Fox News Sunday
Wednesday, October 19, University of Nevada, Las Vegas, Las Vegas, NV
This will be the same as the first presidential debate

AMorePerfctGoonion fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Sep 2, 2016

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

Dork457 posted:

Correct

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

As someone without a cable subscription, CBSN is my primary tv news source so this is pretty cool.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Speaking of Garrison Keillor:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/opinion/commentary/ct-donald-trump-losing-garrison-keillor-20160831-story.html

visceril
Feb 24, 2008

Iron Crowned posted:

Which character though?

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Guy Noir, Private Eye. That way neither candidate gets more than a couple lines each.

Also, the first hour and a half of the debate will be the moderator engaging the candidates in acapella bluegrass, as a test of domestic policy and patriotism

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Thank christ it isn't Wolf Blitzer or something.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Why do you think the last several pages have been NPR chat?

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

Freakazoid_ posted:

Until a radio station dedicates itself to video game soundtracks I have no choice but to play Splash Wave on full blast every day to work.

Play this too: https://youtu.be/9kYMayzZ84k

I hope I get polled this year. Got polled last time by an outfit out of Utah, was very happy to tell them I was voting Obama.

Turnquiet posted:

Come to Glen Allen, VA, where it is only 7.95 AND you get huge plate of sprouts, basil, jalapeños, and cilantro to dump into it. Add some fried egg rolls or shrimp and pork rice paper rolls and you are still 3 bucks under that after tip. God, I love to pho.

Pho so 1 supremacy

Whooping Crabs fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Sep 2, 2016

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

I was really hoping for Joy Reid, but this will do. 👌

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Roger Craig posted:

Play this too: https://youtu.be/9kYMayzZ84k

I hope I get polled this year. Got polled last time by an outfit out of Utah, was very happy to tell them I was voting Obama.

I've been polled twice, once by the Republican Party of Wisconsin (who I happily told to gently caress off by way of saying I was voting for Hillary), and once by a company polling my old district up north, which somehow still had me as living up there.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Night10194 posted:

Thank christ it isn't Wolf Blitzer or something.

I first read Chris Wallace as Chris Matthews and went :shepface: mentally for a minute there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

Koalas March posted:

I was really hoping for Joy Reid, but this will do. 👌

Reid owns. She takes poo poo from no one on air and on twitter

• Locked thread