Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry

satanic splash-back posted:

another 1000+ pound thread in the making

e: gently caress yeah :sicknasty::pcgaming:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost

KVeezy3 posted:

The problem is that people don't have the knowledge/tools to correctly engage the situation, leading ultimately to failure.

bullshit. the information has never been easier to find than now, what with the internet and all. people just aren't willing to do what it takes to actually accomplish weight loss/fitness and instead walk on a threadmill for 10 minutes and then reward themselves by eating more burgers because that takes the least amount of discomfort and they can still tell people they "excercise"

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Dreddout posted:

Is this the GBS hates fat people thread?

Yes. Were you looking for the women, gays or genderblob thread?

e: It's stupid easy to lose weight just with caloric reduction. Not everyone is going to be running 10k and doing chin-ups but anyone can eat less.

Triggered
Aug 21, 2016

Learn about this great man on mormon.org
Fat people repulse me, the very sight of them and the toxic smell they exude is an assault on the eyes and nostrils.

If it were not against the law i would strike them with my walking cane until I was sated of my bestial urges.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

LordArgh posted:

bullshit. the information has never been easier to find than now, what with the internet and all. people just aren't willing to do what it takes to actually accomplish weight loss/fitness and instead walk on a threadmill for 10 minutes and then reward themselves by eating more burgers because that takes the least amount of discomfort and they can still tell people they "excercise"

You're wrong but, I suppose that is an opinion :c00lbutt:.

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

Frosted Flake posted:

e: It's stupid easy to lose weight just with caloric reduction. Not everyone is going to be running 10k and doing chin-ups but anyone can eat less.

Everyone, aside from people who are permanently disabled, absolutely has the capability to run 10k and do at least a few sets of chin ups. It starts with running however far you can, and then doing that again tomorrow, and repeating that until you find that you can run ten kilometers!

Come to think of it, quite a few permanently disabled people can do much more than that. Even people who are missing limbs! If a modern day Lt. Dan can do it, what's stopping you, if that is something that you want to be able to do?

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
The genetics argument:

Meeting a hot chick at a bar while you're wasted, and in a panic to explain your behavior telling her that you're not drunk, in fact you don't even drink, you were just born retarded!

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

CheesyDog posted:

The genetics argument:

Meeting a hot chick at a bar while you're wasted, and in a panic to explain your behavior telling her that you're not drunk, in fact you don't even drink, you were just born retarded!

I can confirm this works. Pity sex is wild mild!

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Excalibur? More like "Needle"

Grimey Drawer

Frosted Flake posted:

Anyone can eat less (and that's where the focus should be, not exercise), but it's not easy for the vast majority of people. If it was easy, we wouldn't have an obesity epidemic. Most fat people want to lose weight, but don't, precisely because it is hard.

Telling people losing weight is easy has the unfortunate effect of causing more people to fail. So thanks for contributing to obesity I guess?

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer

runupon cracker posted:

Anyone can eat less (and that's where the focus should be, not exercise), but it's not easy for the vast majority of people. If it was easy, we wouldn't have an obesity epidemic. Most fat people want to lose weight, but don't, precisely because it is hard.

Telling people losing weight is easy has the unfortunate effect of causing more people to fail. So thanks for contributing to obesity I guess?

Actually it's not hard you baby

Pannus
Mar 14, 2004

The solution is simple but maybe not easy for fat ppl with no willpower

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer

8 track betamax posted:

Actually it's not hard you baby

despite all of the evidence to the contrary you're right

Sound
Oct 18, 2004

Pannus posted:

they need a solution with a level of difficulty not more than preparing a big pot of Kraft easy mac

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
youre really weak mentally if you cant just reduce food intake for a few months until your weight goes down

like man, let yourself be hungry and get over it

that is if youre too lazy to figure out how to feel full on a low calorie diet, which you are, arent you, you lazy piece of shiiiit

sorry that got out of hand

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

its not a matter of willpower, i just don't want to eat less!!

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Pannus posted:

there's way too much emphasis on willpower imo. Willpower is important in the early stages of weight loss, but in the long term discipline is what will bring success. The trick is building up that discipline before your willpower gives out.

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Zzulu posted:

youre really weak mentally if you cant just reduce food intake for a few months until your weight goes down

that is if youre too lazy to figure out how to feel full on a low calorie diet, which you are, arent you, you lazy piece of shiiiit

yes, maintaining willpower over the course of several months is the easiest thing ever lmao

Sound
Oct 18, 2004

Zzulu posted:

you just don't understand how hard it is to not eat a large pizza every night by myself

because it tastes good

Sound
Oct 18, 2004

runupon cracker posted:

yes, maintaining willpower over the course of several months is the easiest thing ever lmao

this but unironically

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
its a minimal amount of willpower that boils down to "eatin less"

just eat less

why is this so insanely hard for ppl

no, do not eat the twinky

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Sound posted:

you just don't understand how hard it is to not eat a large pizza every night by myself

because it tastes good

you don't need to eat a large pizza to get too many calories

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Zzulu posted:

its a minimal amount of willpower that boils down to "eatin less"

just eat less

why is this so insanely hard for ppl

no, do not eat the twinky

you can get too many calories without eating twinkies

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

KVeezy3 posted:

The problem is that people don't have the knowledge/tools to correctly engage the situation, leading ultimately to failure. How many people do you see on the treadmill month after month, year after year, looking exactly the same or worse? The individual is essentially fighting against billions of dollars by invested corporations who understand your body's chemistry better than you do.

In the same way an alcohol will feel better after taking a shot of alcohol, a person with type 2 diabetes feels better after a shot of insulin.

There's a real physical embodiment of pain. Addiction to garbage in food is comparable to heroin and cocaine. http://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/23/opinion/sugar-season-its-everywhere-and-addictive.html

The funny thing is that feelings of hunger & periods of fasting are actually quite good for you, and it's what our bodies are designed to do, but this is still quite a taboo discussion that our corporate overlords would not want us having. A man essentially did 382 days of fasting. http://pmj.bmj.com/content/49/569/203.abstract

corporations don't necessarily understand your body at all

most big food corps nowadays got that way by stumbling onto a good recipe by accident and it just happened that people bought their poo poo and so they got big, e.g. Ben&Jerries

it's entirely logical that a person would eat food when it is available to him IMO

this is why governments must employ experts who understand the human body to regulate the behaviour of producers and consumers. and they do with some success

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

eating less food is a choice, just like putting on pants or not putting on pants.

Sound
Oct 18, 2004

satanic splash-back posted:

eating less food is a choice, just like putting on pants or not putting on pants.

right but it's a marginally more uncomfortable choice (think wearing dress slacks instead of comfy sweat pants) so we must excuse people who are *genetically unable* to make the choice to wear slacks instead of sweats

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

runupon cracker posted:

you don't need to eat a large pizza to get too many calories

Interestingly, my diet and exercise routine could handle a large meat pizza every day- but only if that's all I ate and it was exercise day.

Seriously, just log your food- you can eat whatever you want then, just balance it out. Better than any soul crushing diet that forces you to forsake foods you love.

Or you can just run a 2.5-hour 20k every time you want to justify shoving 10 slices of pizza in your face. That's right fatty, a large pizza should be able to fuel a half marathon.

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

runupon cracker posted:

Yeah, ok, losing weight is harder than continuing to be a fat gently caress. How is this a revelation or relevant?

I'm pretty sure that a huge percentage of fat people have a smart phone capable or running a calorie counting app, and/or an activity monitoring app. That part is inexcusably easy, but no, that would reveal the extent of their gluttony, and ruin the illusion of helplessness.

Is it easier to deal with the inevitable COPD, diabetes, joint issues and overall health decline, and early grave? Is it easier to wait as long as possible to deal with it, so you can struggle futilely at the end to make changes that may now actually be impossible?

This is clearly all the fault of those that misled you by saying it is easy to do. It is however, much much easy to start the process and make significant changes than it is to avoid the long term repercussions.

More disgusting than morbid obesity is the mentality that allows rationalizations that push back against accepting the repercussions of their deliberately ignoring their health for decades.

Even worse then are those that also complain about everyone making it harder for them and "contributing to obesity" while avoiding any kind of personal responsibility.

Oh well, they will all discover that living actually is hard, if only at the end on their oversized gurney, wishing they had had the strength (somehow!) to not eat oversized meals.

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Lichy posted:

corporations don't necessarily understand your body at all

most big food corps nowadays got that way by stumbling onto a good recipe by accident and it just happened that people bought their poo poo and so they got big, e.g. Ben&Jerries

it's entirely logical that a person would eat food when it is available to him IMO

this is why governments must employ experts who understand the human body to regulate the behaviour of producers and consumers. and they do with some success

lol if you don't think food is specifically engineered by the corporations to keep people fat

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION
maybe someone asked this already but why can op accept that appetite can vary from person to person, but cant/won't accept that willpower and self control can also vary from person to person and some people are just fat lazy autists

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Blitter posted:

Yeah, ok, losing weight is harder than continuing to be a fat gently caress. How is this a revelation or relevant?

I don't know, which is why I'm always puzzled when people say how easy it is

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION

LordArgh posted:

this guy is right. ive caught myself putting on weight a few times and have basically just googled for diet advice to help keep on track its not rocket science ffs

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer

The Wizard of Poz posted:

maybe someone asked this already but why can op accept that appetite can vary from person to person, but cant/won't accept that willpower and self control can also vary from person to person and some people are just fat lazy autists

people have some kind of cognitive dissonance when it comes to biodiversity. Like it's totally impossible that one person's target body fat percentage could be higher than another's.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
Hahahahahahah look at all these people acting like you can just put extra points into WIL to solve all your problems as if life was a Bioware RPG.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

runupon cracker posted:

because its "hard" but not prohibitively so for anyone who would genuinely rather lose weight than just gorging on whatever happy-make-feel-good poo poo they wanna shove into their gluttonous hole

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Azuth0667 posted:

Hahahahahahah look at all these people acting like you can just put extra points into WIL to solve all your problems as if life was a Bioware RPG.

Well, I was serious about the discipline thing. Discipline is a powerful tool, and it can be built up over time. Willpower is easier to maintain in the short term if you know there's light at the end of the tunnel, so knowing you can build up discipline for the long haul can help people.

It worked for me, anyway.

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer

The Wizard of Poz posted:

because its "hard" but not prohibitively so for anyone who would genuinely rather lose weight than just gorging on whatever happy-make-feel-good poo poo they wanna shove into their gluttonous hole

you do not need to gorge on "happy-make-feel-good-poo poo" to get too many calories

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

runupon cracker posted:

it's easy if you try different approaches and hit the one that works for you

the part where you try things at first and it doesn't work is always the hardest part in developing any habit, dieting included

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

runupon cracker posted:

Well, I was serious about the discipline thing. Discipline is a powerful tool, and it can be built up over time. Willpower is easier to maintain in the short term if you know there's light at the end of the tunnel, so knowing you can build up discipline for the long haul can help people.

It worked for me, anyway.

the word you're actually looking for is habit, not discipline

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
listen up fatties, there is a time and place for figuring environmental factors. that time is when you are a government scientist that is advising public policy.

the time to think of environmental factors is NOT when you are dealing with your own personal problems. focus only on things you have the power to change dummies (unless you enjoy sapping you own motivation I guess :shrug:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

runupon cracker posted:

Because it *is* easy to start by honestly looking at your diet and health by counting calories and activity.

It never ceases to amaze me how people cherry pick poo poo to reinforce their own imagined inability, particularly the fat.

• Locked thread