Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.
That's ludicrous, to attempt to run them all in one sitting! Maybe do all the NES ones, or all the DS ones, or something. Break it up into manageable chunks. Or do one per day, and have a marathon week. There are lots of ways to tackle the series that don't involve hurting one's self.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

50+ hour solo streams should be banned from twitch since that is legit seriously dangerous to do. If not, then who will be martyred first?

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Gonna speedrun Pride of Nations, a game that lasts for 2000 turns with 10 minute load times between each turn, or about 14 days total

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

beep by grandpa posted:

50+ hour solo streams should be banned from twitch since that is legit seriously dangerous to do. If not, then who will be martyred first?

If people (read: the twitch professionals) want to make massive marathon runs a thing, I would think that some sort of self-policing should happen. But for the most part, 24 hour streams have been to get a dramatic increase in followers and it's a self-marketing gimmick.

If the DQ Death March became a real category, I would like to see at least mandatory 2 hour breaks every 20 hours to level the playing field and to make sure that people don't go completely insane.

MURPHAGATOR!
Apr 6, 2013

Another busy day at the
Fight House.

beep by grandpa posted:

Considering a person overdoing it on a marathon lead to one of their emotes existing (ResidentSleeper), I highly doubt they would do this without a specific stimulus.

1-800-DOCTORB
Nov 6, 2009

MURPHAGATOR! posted:

Considering a person overdoing it on a marathon lead to one of their emotes existing (ResidentSleeper), I highly doubt they would do this without a specific stimulus.

I thought they removed the ResidentSleeper emote?

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

1-800-DOCTORB posted:

I thought they removed the ResidentSleeper emote?

No, it's still in there.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Phone posted:

twitch professionals ... self-policing
:laugh:

BattleHamster
Mar 18, 2009

beep by grandpa posted:

You act like he's going to get a heart attack on stream. Chronic sleep deprivation can put you at greater risk for all kinds of bad health conditions but since when has a singular event like this ever been considered seriously dangerous?

If your going to get that crazy with the definition of self-harm then drinking alcohol and smoking cigarettes should also be banned which seems really stupid.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN
Yeah, they're kinda just sitting in a chair with food.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

MURPHAGATOR! posted:

They have banned people for falling asleep on streams though so I have no loving clue what twitch's stance on that is.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
3 days is pushing it but someone did a 100 hour WoW stream sometime in the past year I believe. For healthy adults provided you eat, drink, and stay mobile for 5-10 minutes every couple of hours it's a taxing but not altogether serious thing. The people you read about dying in net cafes literally stay plastered in a chair for 50 hours straight, never even standing up and most didn't eat or drink.

I don't think it's a fantastic idea and doing multiple ones in a close enough time(like months and months apart) is bad period but I think some sort of realistic boundary set by Twitch would be good. The 24hr streams are nothing and I don't think they encourage longer ones nor do they pose serious health risks. You could probably set a threshold for channel uptime around 30ish hours and then just have an alert go to admins and they check in on the channel and make a personal call from there(obviously something like a GDQ wouldn't qualify).

BattleHamster posted:

You act like he's going to get a heart attack on stream. Chronic sleep deprivation can put you at greater risk for all kinds of bad health conditions but since when has a singular event like this ever been considered seriously dangerous?

If your going to get that crazy with the definition of self-harm then drinking alcohol and smoking cigarettes should also be banned which seems really stupid.

It's mostly misinformation driven by the real accounts of people dying playing video games. Those people basically never moved, ate food, drank water and that will pose serious health issues but basically any mega-marathon I've heard about(even shorter ones like 24hr) have people who take breaks, eat, hydrate, and basically take care of themselves during the process which in turn negates most of the risk involved in doing something like this. I think to some just the notion of going so long without sleep is where the true risk lies and not with other things, when the opposite is what's true.

Crotch Bat fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Sep 1, 2016

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
you can easily go without sleep for 50 hours, but spending that whole time playing a videogame sounds like hell tbh

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
I'm pretty sure the thread having this discussion again is more hazardous to my mental health than staying up playing video games.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

SeXReX posted:

I'm pretty sure the thread having this discussion again is more hazardous to my mental health than staying up playing video games.
yeah but we already gave up on your mental health, cheers :cheers:

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
O snap checked in and zoast is back to the #1 Metroid spot with a 42:06 https://www.twitch.tv/zoasty/v/82746570. Dang, no 41 yet

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

teh_Broseph posted:

O snap checked in and zoast is back to the #1 Metroid spot with a 42:06 https://www.twitch.tv/zoasty/v/82746570. Dang, no 41 yet

I got a 41 recorded to laserdisc, shipped it to my cousin in law to upload for me.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Southern speedrunners summit starts today at either 3 or 5 eastern i'm not sure from the schedule.

https://horaro.org/sssummit/schedule

https://www.twitch.tv/southernspeedruns

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Titan Quest Anniversary Edition has a game speed setting and the Parnassus leveling glitch* still works. I think I may have found a new speedgame.

*There's a big loading zone just after Parnassus at the beginning of the Lower War Camp, and if you start a new game at the rebirth fountain just prior to that and walk into it you get something like 2-3 seconds of lag. If you're assigning skill/attribute points during the lag the game doesn't check whether you have enough points to do what you're doing, so you mash an add point button and then after the lag you undo and voila, tons of duped points.

(Note: This glitch also means you go through about 2/3 of act 1 at level 2.)

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Checked the last couple of pages and nobody's mentioned this. Some guys just did a Full Band Full Combo speedrun of Rock Band 3 earlier this week that clocked in at 9 hours 37 minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPKHdffpH9Q

The source video he links to is out of sync, but if you open it up in two tabs you can sync it yourself. Or you can try the archive video on Twitch and enjoy having half the stream muted.

To put into perspective how insane that is, that means all four guys have to play without missing a single note. Any one of them misses, they restart the song. By the end they were stuck on the last song for an hour.

A full run without missing ever would be around 7 hours, so if they or another group tries again there's room for improvement.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Checked the last couple of pages and nobody's mentioned this. Some guys just did a Full Band Full Combo speedrun of Rock Band 3 earlier this week that clocked in at 9 hours 37 minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPKHdffpH9Q

The source video he links to is out of sync, but if you open it up in two tabs you can sync it yourself. Or you can try the archive video on Twitch and enjoy having half the stream muted.

To put into perspective how insane that is, that means all four guys have to play without missing a single note. Any one of them misses, they restart the song. By the end they were stuck on the last song for an hour.

A full run without missing ever would be around 7 hours, so if they or another group tries again there's room for improvement.

I love Rock Band and stuff but literally my very first thought was that doing Roundabout last is obviously like the least optimal routing possible for this type of category.

do the hard songs first and work down, not up. I'm aware that's less fun, but this is speedrunning no fun is allowed.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

I love Rock Band and stuff but literally my very first thought was that doing Roundabout last is obviously like the least optimal routing possible for this type of category.

do the hard songs first and work down, not up. I'm aware that's less fun, but this is speedrunning no fun is allowed.

Maybe they're jojo fans too and wanna end the run with roundabout and with

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

Might give Titan quest some effort into it after a casual run, but to be honest that Parnassus glitch leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

FirstAidKite posted:

Maybe they're jojo fans too and wanna end the run with roundabout and with

I guarantee you this is why, and I salute them.

1-800-DOCTORB
Nov 6, 2009
Aside from not missing a single note, how do you even speedrun Rock Band? Doesn't it fall under SHMUP territory where every level(song) is the same length and you can't do anything to shorten them?

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

1-800-DOCTORB posted:

Aside from not missing a single note, how do you even speedrun Rock Band? Doesn't it fall under SHMUP territory where every level(song) is the same length and you can't do anything to shorten them?

Whoa whoa whoa whoa.

SHMUPS at least have some quick kills for the bosses, they're nothing like Rock Band.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Boogalo posted:

Southern speedrunners summit starts today at either 3 or 5 eastern i'm not sure from the schedule.

https://horaro.org/sssummit/schedule

https://www.twitch.tv/southernspeedruns

neat thx

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Kikas posted:

Whoa whoa whoa whoa.

SHMUPS at least have some quick kills for the bosses, they're nothing like Rock Band.

See also: Kingdom Grand Prix

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
Well, the category is sort of speedrunnable, in that it would be difficult to marathon 7 hours of Rock Band (or any videogame) without ever once making a mistake across four different people. And, hey, there's menuing! But, yeah, it's definitely kind of a gimmick thing.

It's not that a 'speedrun' of a game primarily composed of fixed-time-interval tasks is necessarily less 'legitimate' in any way (because hahaha what the gently caress 'speedrun legitimacy'), it just seems bound to be boring to most people.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.

Dizz posted:

Might give Titan quest some effort into it after a casual run, but to be honest that Parnassus glitch leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

It's weird it's still in considering the other stuff they've fixed, and how supposedly the big load freezes were supposed to be fixed.

I played it for a bit at the highest speed and it seemed like it hosed with enemy AI. Lots of instances of enemies not aggroing and just standing around. It's been a while since I played the original but I don't recall that ever happening. Don't know if it's a problem with the speed up option or just an issue with "optimizations" they did to AI to improve performance.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

It's weird it's still in considering the other stuff they've fixed, and how supposedly the big load freezes were supposed to be fixed.

I played it for a bit at the highest speed and it seemed like it hosed with enemy AI. Lots of instances of enemies not aggroing and just standing around. It's been a while since I played the original but I don't recall that ever happening. Don't know if it's a problem with the speed up option or just an issue with "optimizations" they did to AI to improve performance.

Well I don't think they fixed anything themselves. From what I heard this was just 10 years of community bug fixes, integrated expansion, and some other neat little things.

Not complaining though because it's actually pretty good effort done but yeah that one little thing still in seems weird they left it in unless it was impossible to fix.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

I wanna see a GH or RB low% run where they try to hit as few notes as possible without failing any songs

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

SeXReX posted:

I wanna see a GH or RB low% run where they try to hit as few notes as possible without failing any songs

This, but with the american idol ps2 rhythm game (the one that didn't use the microphone) where if you miss a note, it fucks up the character's voice as well and makes them sound hilarious

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

One of the recent Ludum Dare games has me scratching that "indie crap no one's heard of" itch
https://www.twitch.tv/seckswrecks/v/87310875

https://tak.itch.io/pipe
still lots of room to improve, hopfully someone who is good at pressing buttons tries so I don't have to

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

SeXReX posted:

I tried doing this on the fly a couple times playing drums on Say It Ain't So, since it probably averages out to less than 1 note a second on easy difficulty, but everyone else playing kept getting pissed at me doing random drum rolls in the middle of the song to drive the score down and I gave up.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Zoast broke the Super Metroid sub 42 barrier.

He's saying actual time of 41:58.92. Runback replay coming up. https://www.twitch.tv/zoasty

edit: he recorded it last night and just didn't tell anyone

Boogalo fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Sep 4, 2016

1-800-DOCTORB
Nov 6, 2009
That's like 8 seconds off the previous record, was there a new strategy or something?

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

1-800-DOCTORB posted:

That's like 8 seconds off the previous record, was there a new strategy or something?

He got a shinespark suit after Draygon instead of a blue suit, which I've never seen him do before. That seemed to cut a few seconds.

Other than that it was just really good execution. Even then, he had a slow-mid phantoon and missed the lava spark heading into Ridley. He could potentially push that time even lower.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1soqvsn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
You'd think he'd have enough awareness to go "well that first cuck.txt wasn't a good idea, I should not write another missive on my stupidity" but here we are.

EDIT: word filter is appropriate.

• Locked thread