Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread
Marc Doty's videos are great but he loves synthesizers so much that whatever synth he's currently demoing is the best synth ever, just listen to that filter bvvwwwwoooooaaaahhhhhmmm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

Who's gonna take one for the team and mail him a timbre wolf?

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
He wants to be as big a shill as Divine but isn't knowledgable or charismatic enough to pull it off.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Looks like the big 909 day release is (rumored) SMD Analog 303 and 909 boutique reissues.

And the AIRA/Serato product is, supposedly, a controller with jogwheels and a TR-8 built in (that is having major syncing issues), but I haven't seen pics confirming that yet.

(Suck it, AIRA fans).

Someone on Muffs got me thinking about a boutique Alpha Juno which is the only thing I'd need to get me an all-boutique 90s hard house setup.

But on the flip I think my poly-303 is now within reach.

:catdrugs:

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread

JamesKPolk posted:

Someone on Muffs got me thinking about a boutique Alpha Juno which is the only thing I'd need to get me an all-boutique 90s hard house setup.

MKS-50s go for $300ish all day long on ebay. Your dream is alive!

Also, lol at Roland these days, what a waste of time.

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat
Any chance of an op-1 bundle type deal for labor day? I know they don't really go on sale, but a case or something would be nice.

Any suggestions for where to look?

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

I've been recording a lot of ambient/drone-y things as a combination practice/sketch-pad/study tool and I'm really happy with this one:

https://soundcloud.com/technoliches/heaven-3-the-influence-of-the-stars-upon-fate

This is a whole bunch of things through a whole bunch of other things, with the mixer outs through a Deco into my sound card. Standouts are the Boss RE-200 the x0xb0x is hooked to (12 bit delay and inverted signal) and the JV-1010 doing half the pad duties. I turned my nose up at cheap digital delay and romplers for years but it turns out they're my favorite things.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

havelock posted:

Any chance of an op-1 bundle type deal for labor day? I know they don't really go on sale, but a case or something would be nice.

Any suggestions for where to look?

I've never seen any kind of discounts or bundles on any Teenage Engineering stuff, and I kept an eye out for them for quite a while. Used is probably going to be best bet if you want to save cash.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Has anyone used the Keystep with a euro yet? There's one in stock down the street from me that I'm thinking of picking up.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
I have and it works in the sense that it plays notes as commanded, but I haven't used its arpeggiator yet.

One thing about it that annoys me is that 0V is by default all the way down at C-2, and won't output negative voltages. You can't select the 0V point in hardware either -- need the control center software to do so.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Tayter Swift posted:

I have and it works in the sense that it plays notes as commanded, but I haven't used its arpeggiator yet.

One thing about it that annoys me is that 0V is by default all the way down at C-2, and won't output negative voltages. You can't select the 0V point in hardware either -- need the control center software to do so.

Could you use maths to attenuate it up to the octave you want?

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

gently caress me right in the wallet..I got my minilogue in and well...I think i'll be spending a lot more money on synths in the future

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

magiccarpet posted:

Could you use maths to attenuate it up to the octave you want?

I just set it down an octave lower than I think I'll need (say C0) and tune the oscillator accordingly.

Gotta say though I do like its aftertoucn action. Doesn't require me to break my fingers like I do with my D-50 or the big MIDI controller I gotta get around to ditching sometime.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

All kinds of crap from basically every vendor on sale this week and into the weekend. If I see great coup codes I'll post em. :retrogames:

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Korg just dropped a whole bunch of stuff including a new Volca and new Microkorg PLUS an Arp module.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Tayter Swift posted:

I just set it down an octave lower than I think I'll need (say C0) and tune the oscillator accordingly.

Gotta say though I do like its aftertoucn action. Doesn't require me to break my fingers like I do with my D-50 or the big MIDI controller I gotta get around to ditching sometime.

Cool. I think I'll pick one up tonight and fool around with it.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

net work error posted:

Korg just dropped a whole bunch of stuff including a new Volca and new Microkorg PLUS an Arp module.

Yeah forget all that poo poo, here's the new motherfukin golf swing metronome:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIHRo61FORA

Stroke Rhythm.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Volca Kick looks really cool but I don't know if I'd ever use it.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Tayter Swift posted:

Yeah forget all that poo poo, here's the new motherfukin golf swing metronome:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIHRo61FORA

Stroke Rhythm.

An important omission. I apologize for not listing that new hotness.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Wait, why the gently caress would you need to time your goddamned golf swing? What difference does it make if you swing 2 seconds earlier or later?

"You know what was wrong with your swing? It was 10:30:02"

"Swiiiiing....... NOW!"

Or maybe synchronized golfing has emerged to spruce up the dying game?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Should have made a Volca Snare first.

Anyway, randomly came across this cooperation:

It's pretty expensive (~1600€), but it has Prophet-6 analogue filters, a 7 inch touch screen, midi, 8 outputs and reads mass storage over usb.

No reason I'm posting this but my initial surprise to see Pioneer in the game. But seeing how it links up with their other DJ gear, it's starting to make sense.

Seems pretty well equipped.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Flipperwaldt posted:

What is the smallest discrete unit of instruments that you can reasonably build a standalone box around?

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

My Lovely Horse posted:

What is the smallest discrete unit of instruments that you can reasonably build a standalone box around?

Jomox has had the MBrane out for a while (which admittedly is toms/timpanis/etc too).

I'd buy a 606 Hats box if it were midi syncable and had accents.

And there's https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tj7fRnjtx8I

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Flipperwaldt posted:

While the beats needs a better snare, the kick will pair amazingly with the sample since the bottom end is the only real weakness of it.

e: yup
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgs7p17ElOY

Although if you have an MS-20 you won't need it unless you want the sequencer functions.

A Winner is Jew fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Sep 1, 2016

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Mr. Sharps posted:

Who's gonna take one for the team and mail him a timbre wolf?

I've been stalking the local shop waiting for the display model to be put out of its misery.

My Lovely Horse posted:

Volca Noise. Or click.

Really Jomox made a kick box before, can't fault Korg for doing it. Also took away some of the fire of all the Roland stuff coming out.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

stillvisions posted:

Volca click.

Missed a branding opportunity w/ the metronome

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
It's the perfect instrument to cover Ice Ice Baby.

The Volcas have been tempting me for some time. The sample and FM fill two gaps in my rig and the sequencing seems capable.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Volca kick looks interesting, that and a volca sample seems like enough for me to gently caress around with techo otb, and wouldnt even need a sequencer to start with. Is there a cheap box that does enveloped white/pink noise?

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx
Sample owns as a drum/rhythm machine with the only drawbacks being the lack of a huge bottom end that the beats (and more than likely the kick will have) and you have to load samples into it from an external device. Paired with a multi effects unit it's pretty much the only non software drum machine I've really needed outside of just running my ms-20 as my bass/snare.

A Winner is Jew fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Sep 2, 2016

AnnoyBot
May 28, 2001

stillvisions posted:

Volca Noise. Or click.

Pair one of these with a Volca Sustain and you're really cooking.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

AnnoyBot posted:

Pair one of these with a Volca Sustain and you're really cooking.

While we're at it, lets make a Volca VCA and a Volca EG, and maybe some other useful Volca modules. Then lets figure out some standard so we can mount them all together in a rack and use a uniform power supply and voltage for all of them. Then we can get other companies to start making Volca format boxes and begin charging more money than god for a fully usable synth!

(can you tell I spent too much money on Euro stuff and am now bitter about it)

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

lol if you don't let oblivion wash over you(r wallet)
I just spent a couple hundo on what amounts to a two channel voltage offset. Hail Satan.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

MockingQuantum posted:

While we're at it, lets make a Volca VCA and a Volca EG, and maybe some other useful Volca modules. Then lets figure out some standard so we can mount them all together in a rack and use a uniform power supply and voltage for all of them. Then we can get other companies to start making Volca format boxes and begin charging more money than god for a fully usable synth!

(can you tell I spent too much money on Euro stuff and am now bitter about it)

So, the question now is have we reached the peak and crash of eurorack? I'm on another group for euro and I've been seeing a lot of "selling all my gear" posts in the last little while. I think we've reached the point where people haven't touched their racks for about six months and are giving up on it; is that the sign of the end times and we're going back to niche, especially since big synth makers are finally releasing analog gear that's decently priced? I mean, there'll always be a market for it somewhere but I'm wondering how long they'll keep trying to push it alongside electribes.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

stillvisions posted:

So, the question now is have we reached the peak and crash of eurorack?

God I hope not, since I just got into euro with the Mother-32 and that seems like a really good jumping off point. The main issue I have is, indeed, the modules that cost as much as a fully-functional synth.

Scatterfold
Nov 4, 2008

rickiep00h posted:

God I hope not...

I hope we have. Means more cheap 2nd hand modules for those of us who actually use it to make music :unsmigghh:

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Scatterfold posted:

I hope we have. Means more cheap 2nd hand modules for those of us who actually use it to make music :unsmigghh:

Provided people dump them.

Scatterfold
Nov 4, 2008

rickiep00h posted:

Provided people dump them.

stillvisions posted:

I'm on another group for euro and I've been seeing a lot of "selling all my gear" posts in the last little while...

looks good from my sanctimonious viewpoint

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

I'm seriously considering dumping mine before I get any more invested, honestly. I haven't even filled my Pittsburg Cell 90 and I'm already starting to see the overall cost required for me to do a lot of what I want to do. That, on the back of stuff like Reaktor Blocks getting closer to scratching the non-fixed architecture synth itch I have, makes Euro seem much less like it's freeing me from constraints and more like I'm paying a premium for knobs. I know with Euro you're literally always paying a premium for knobs, but I feel like it lost the appealing customization it once had now that I have software options that can do what I want them to, and do it so much faster and with less hassle. I love the tactile nature of Euro, and I will go down rabbit holes and find fascinating sounds I would never find otherwise, but I still don't feel like the cost is justified for me. I might hold on to most of what I have and maybe try to limit myself to a really interesting 90hp box, but I'm not sure I wouldn't rather put the money elsewhere.

I admit, I started in on Euro right about when all these major manufacturers started spitting out steals like the Minilogue, and it was literally the worst time to start with modular. It's hard to argue with the price vs utility you see coming out of major manufacturers.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Scatterfold posted:

looks good from my sanctimonious viewpoint

Yes but I'm at least hoping for a little more first-hand saturation or the second-hand market is still gonna be full of people looking to cash in on euro "snobs", just like any other niche market.

I'm sure the bigger names like Pittsburg and Doepfer and Makenoise will have enough out there, but half the fun of modular is chasing down the weirdo little boxes, and if there's anything guitar has shown me, it's that weirdo little boxes are just as bad, if not worse, on the used market.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
You'll pry my Eurorack out of my cold dead hands. Although I will admit I'm kinda stuck as to fill my last 10HP with.