Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Rutibex posted:

listen up fatties, there is a time and place for figuring environmental factors. that time is when you are a government scientist that is advising public policy.

the time to think of environmental factors is NOT when you are dealing with your own personal problems. focus only on things you have the power to change dummies (unless you enjoy sapping you own motivation I guess :shrug:)

i have the habit to protest against this fatphobic society(out of my mobility scooter paid for by the taxpayer :btroll:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
Putting on pants never feels good, as they are a tool of the oppressive patriarchs.

Eating is a necessity to continue existing, something your body compels you to do on a daily basis, often provides a great deal of pleasure and stress release and is also a social activity most people are expected to participate in on a regular basis.

Sit-down restaurants often give you enough food for two or three meals on one plate, with appetizers, alcohol or sugary drinks, salads that could be meals themselves and giant desserts as frequent accompaniment. This happens while you hang out and have a great time chatting with your friends or family, hopefully, further reinforcing the positive feelings associated with eating.

Fast food or frozen meals and other low/no prep food, while often extremely calorie dense, is easy and quick to chew and swallow, unlike a plate half full of veggies or solid meats etc. This is important, because it takes 15 minutes or so before your stomach tells your brain that you are satiated. That's why you have seconds at Thanksgiving and then regret it 20 minutes later. So even if you're eating alone and making your own food, you can still overeat without meaning to unless you consciously burn time while you eat if you don't have the habits and portion sizes down.

Then there's even simpler stuff like the difference between a single slice of white or "wheat" (molasses!) "bread" having 150+ calories and no real fiber, while another bread may be 50 calories and a fuckton of fiber per slice. The lovely one is cheaper, melts in your mouth like the fluff it is and is sweet, all things which are attractive to your brain for various reasons. Both breads are in the same aisle in the store and you're lucky if the good choices share the same prime shelf real-estate as the bad ones and you have to examine the nutrition labels to even know what the gently caress you're looking at.

I don't really understand people that find it hard to grasp the idea that a lot of people have difficulty monitoring their food intake. People have lovely situational awareness at the best of times, so vigilance isn't a natural or easy thing. Unless you've had the right habits instilled into you early, you're trying to establish habits later in life while everything else (including your own body/brain) is doing its level best to erode or dissuade those habits.

TL;DR
Fat people are lazy

Rakosi
May 5, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
NO-QUARTERMASTER

From the river (of Palestinian blood) to the sea (of Palestinian tears)

Azuth0667 posted:

Because they gently caress with your overall metabolism in several ways.

please explain how anything can gently caress with your overall metabolism in several ways so that the net result of you eating 1500 calories and burning 2000 every day for a month is a gain/no shift in body weight. Its loving with the law of conservation of energy for one.

The only thing stopping fat people from getting skinny is their inability to truthfully, and accurately, count their calories and the western contemporary mindset that life shouldn't be hard or uncomfortable.

You enjoyed gorging yourself, so now you have to not enjoy undoing that damage.

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Excalibur? More like "Needle"

Grimey Drawer

Blitter posted:

Because it *is* easy to start by honestly looking at your diet and health by counting calories and activity.

It never ceases to amaze me how people cherry pick poo poo to reinforce their own imagined inability, particularly the fat.

so easy that obesity isn't even really an issue

oh, except in the real world where two thirds of the US population is overweight

Triggered
Aug 21, 2016

Learn about this great man on mormon.org
I love going to the gym and flexing in front of the fatties. Not to brag but im pretty ripped, usually around 20 seconds of showing the guns is enough to make a fatty cry.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Rakosi posted:

Every moment of pleasure in this world must be purchased with an equal moment of pain. Fatties are in major debt.

Rakosi
May 5, 2008

NO-QUARTERMASTER

runupon cracker posted:

oh, except in the real world where two thirds of the US population is overweight

You seem to think that if a lot of people can't/refuse to do something it must be too hard.

There is another possible explanation for this effect; a lot of people are lazy/unwilling and westerners are gradually devolving their ability to cope with even the smallest discomforts or inconveniences.

Rakosi
May 5, 2008

NO-QUARTERMASTER

If ISIS held your family hostage and threatened to burn them alive if you didn't shed some of your massive infidel bulk I'm pretty sure all of a sudden your hypothyroid would stop being a factor lol

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Rakosi posted:

please explain how anything can gently caress with your overall metabolism in several ways so that the net result of you eating 1500 calories and burning 2000 every day for a month is a gain/no shift in body weight. Its loving with the law of conservation of energy for one.

The only thing stopping fat people from getting skinny is their inability to truthfully, and accurately, count their calories and the western contemporary mindset that life shouldn't be hard or uncomfortable.

Okay because it seems goons are dumb about this and want to quote thermodynamics without understanding it I'll start with some Socratic questioning.

What determines net caloric change per day?

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

WRT to exercise: People who were fit before and still have underlying muscle and skill can get back into it without too much difficulty, gradually losing fat as they lift more and put up better lap times. I honestly don't know how to help people who were never active. I can't imagine doing 10lb curbs or getting gassed after 500m, but I suppose everybody starts somewhere.

I think most people can reasonably do a plan like this without too much trouble: http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/job-emploi/bso-asf/pare-tape-eng.html

Those with a dad-bod who really want to see what they're made of should try this: http://breakingmuscle.com/tactical-fitness/phase-1-special-forces-prep-structural-balance-strength-aerobic-base

Of course there's only one proven way to turn layabout unmotivated fatbodies into high performers...

Frosted Flake fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Sep 2, 2016

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Rakosi posted:

You seem to think that if a lot of people can't/refuse to do something it must be too hard.

There is another possible explanation for this effect; a lot of people are lazy/unwilling and westerners are gradually devolving their ability to cope with even the smallest discomforts or inconveniences.

"not easy" != "too hard"

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

runupon cracker posted:

Yeah, and I chalk that up to the kind of learned helplessness you illustrate and the pathetic hugbox bullshit excuses that somehow preclude the ability to learn and change.

These are excuses, not reasons.

The idea that life should be uninterrupted pleasure and ease, is very much an American ideal, which I think is a mindset that really plays into obesity.

Life is actually suffering (in part..), and you are just trading that suffering (not going out all the time, not indulging, etc) down the line, to your early, unpleasant demise.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Rakosi posted:

If ISIS held your family hostage and threatened to burn them alive if you didn't shed some of your massive infidel bulk I'm pretty sure all of a sudden your hypothyroid would stop being a factor lol

What is this, some sort of intifatda?

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Rakosi posted:

Nietzsche is the light.

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

Azuth0667 posted:

If you are a fat piece of poo poo, your net caloric change is a positive number, and you should eat less?

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Blitter posted:

Yeah, and I chalk that up to the kind of learned helplessness you illustrate and the pathetic hugbox bullshit excuses that somehow preclude the ability to learn and change.

These are excuses, not reasons.

The idea that life should be uninterrupted pleasure and ease, is very much an American ideal, which I think is a mindset that really plays into obesity.

Life is actually suffering (in part..), and you are just trading that suffering (not going out all the time, not indulging, etc) down the line, to your early, unpleasant demise.

I don't disagree with anything you've said here. People can and do lose weight. I've done it. Literally anybody *can* lose weight. There is a clear path.

All I'm saying, all I've ever said, is that it's not easy.

But somehow that's "learned helplessness" on my part? Yeesh.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Azuth0667 posted:

Okay because it seems goons are dumb about this and want to quote thermodynamics without understanding it I'll start with some Socratic questioning.

I believe it was Crassus of Lipidelphi who reasoned that mischievous house-gods were to blame for corpulence. They snuck small pieces of the flesh of the hydra into the stews of the afflicted. The constant digestion of this ever-renewing flesh both over-nourished the victim and caused an imbalance of humours, accounting for their severe lassitude.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Struggle makes you stronger. Discomfort makes you more resilient. Pain increases your endurance.

The love fat people have for comfort, more than anything is what makes them unlikable IMO.

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

runupon cracker posted:

I don't disagree with anything you've said here. People can and do lose weight. I've done it. Literally anybody *can* lose weight. There is a clear path.

It is more that the path that leads to morbid obesity (a path you may or may not have been on) often includes that kind of learned helplessness, and an increasing amount of cognitive dissonance.

I have a friend that works in healthcare, and people will still talk about how they are on a diet, compliant to their diabetes treatment and are actually in pretty good shape, all while bedridden and getting prepped to have their foot amputated.

It really is pretty hosed up, because life is absolutely miserable for those people, tho they don't generally suffer much longer.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Blitter posted:

If you are a fat piece of poo poo, your net caloric change is a positive number, and you should eat less?

Okay that's a start now what's the difference between a cold blooded organism and a warm blooded organism?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Frosted Flake posted:

Struggle makes you stronger. Discomfort makes you more resilient. Pain increases your endurance.

The love fat people have for comfort, more than anything is what makes them unlikable IMO.

hey i mean who doesn't love comfort, y'know? fight hard to win yourself an idyllic life

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
Glad to see Runupon Cracker is still the fat peoples equivalent of the Chinese Ministry of Public Policy

"You have hurt the feelings of the fat people! You will regret this!"

Rakosi
May 5, 2008

NO-QUARTERMASTER

runupon cracker posted:

Your lack of introspection and self-recrimination is probably a large (lol) part of why you got fat to begin with.

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Rakosi posted:

Your lack of introspection and self-recrimination is probably a large (lol) part of why you got fat to begin with.

how do you think I lost weight?

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

runupon cracker posted:

how do you think I lost weight?

Apparently having just enough willpower to get by until eating habits became routine?

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

runupon cracker posted:

yes, maintaining willpower over the course of several months is the easiest thing ever lmao

I did it. Why can't you?

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Frosted Flake posted:

Apparently having just enough willpower to get by until eating habits became routine?

you make that sound like a bad thing

seriously wtf

Rakosi
May 5, 2008

NO-QUARTERMASTER

I mean once you've gone full pot belly and man-boob dad bod, how does a person look at themselves in a mirror and think "Hmm. I'm already chubby. I'll go on another two years of binge eating to get REALLY fat".

Oh, you mean they don't think that? They don't think? Not thinking = stupid. Stupid and fat.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
A video where an ugly horrible person tells a fat person she wouldn't hire that person because she's fat. The fat person has applied to like 12 jobs in five years and complains that the fact she is obese shouldn't put employers off, despite probably being sick and slow a lot of the time. The pretty blond presenter is sitting there because she was hired for her looks but agrees with the fat person that people's appearances shouldnt affect how hireable they are.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ARVUy43lOQ

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

vyst posted:

I did it. Why can't you?

its hard, so im not gonna bother

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
if we have to buy new office chairs because you cant fit intto the current ones i wouldnt hire you either

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

henpod posted:

A video where an ugly horrible person tells a fat person she wouldn't hire that person because she's fat. The fat person has applied to like 12 jobs in five years and complains that the fact she is obese shouldn't put employers off, despite probably being sick and slow a lot of the time. The pretty blond presenter is sitting there because she was hired for her looks but agrees with the fat person that people's appearances shouldnt affect how hireable they are.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ARVUy43lOQ

Since when is 16.8 billion in revenue a small business?

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Could it be because obese people take more sick days than normals ??

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

We are not talking about getting in shape and running a marathon here, this is about obesity. Quitting obesity is very, very easy.

Step 1: Next time you are buying soda, buy sugar free. They are right next to each other at supermarket.

Step 2: No step two

It's literally impossible to become a lard whale without a constant influx of carbonated sugar water into your body.

Rakosi
May 5, 2008

NO-QUARTERMASTER

waitwhatno posted:

We are not talking about getting in shape and running a marathon here, this is about obesity. Quitting obesity is very, very easy.

Step 1: Next time you are buying soda, buy sugar free. They are right next to each other at supermarket.

It's literally impossible to become a lard whale without a constant influx of carbonated sugar water into your body.

No alcohol either. No booze, no soda.

EDIT: in fatspeech that means 0. Not a little bit at the weekend to treat you for a good week of dieting. 0. None. Ever. For any reason. That is what people mean when they say "Don't have anymore XXXXX".

Rakosi fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Sep 2, 2016

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Honest confession that will probably get me banned: I like Coke zero better than normal sugar Coke.

Over here in free Europe we are still allowed to add aspartame to our soft drinks and it tastes so loving good. I don't even care about the cancer, it tastes so awesome.

US goons are really missing out on life. First no walking and now also no aspartame. Hell on earth.

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

waitwhatno posted:

it's not easy if you haven't worked a day in your life without outside supervision

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Rakosi posted:

No alcohol either. No booze, no soda.

EDIT: in fatspeech that means 0. Not a little bit at the weekend to treat you for a good week of dieting. 0. None. Ever. For any reason. That is what people mean when they say "Don't have anymore XXXXX".

I definitely drink too much and a had an enormous reduction in calories when losing weight by having gin and diet tonic water if i was going out instead of beer.

Also dont eat crisps (chips) because they don't satiate you at all and are really calorie dense. A piece of fruit might have the same calories but will actually make you less hungry so you eat less overall.

And stop buying bread with sugar in wtf is that about?

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

waitwhatno posted:

Honest confession that will probably get me banned: I like Coke zero better than normal sugar Coke.

Over here in free Europe we are still allowed to add aspartame to our soft drinks and it tastes so loving good. I don't even care about the cancer, it tastes so awesome.

US goons are really missing out on life. First no walking and now also no aspartame. Hell on earth.

Coke Zero for lyfe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
You shouldn't drink soda if you're an adult guys

• Locked thread