Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

I occasionally get linkedin spam about theranos positions. Maybe I should interview out of curiosity.

My tech said she a while back did and got interviewed by Holmes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
SpaceX blew up Facebook's satellite and now Mark Zuckerberg is mad.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Mark Zuckerberg sighed as he put on his occulus rift.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Jumpingmanjim posted:

It's an Israeli-designed and -built satellite, so there's a lot of coverage in that media. 4 years of work down the drain. :smith:

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I was thinking about insurance on that satellite. Would be a fun problem for the company to work out appropriate risk and payment.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Aliquid posted:

I was thinking about insurance on that satellite. Would be a fun problem for the company to work out appropriate risk and payment.

Like somebody on the ynet story said, it's not just about the money, it's about the setback to communications in the areas which should have been covered.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
why is facebook launching satellites? is this to do with their bullshit with india?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

namaste faggots posted:

why is facebook launching satellites? is this to do with their bullshit with india?

Africa apparently.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Arsenic Lupin posted:

It is cheap to produce an additional copy of an ebook, but it is also cheap to produce an additional copy of a printed book.

Copy and paste is a bit more literal in the printed example.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

namaste faggots posted:

It sounded like it.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 205 days!
Wait, how the hell did they manage to blow up a satellite?

Is their real future in orbital warfare? :psyduck:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Hodgepodge posted:

Is their real future in orbital warfare? :psyduck:

No, it was pretty easy, it's just Musk overhyping things as usual: http://arstechnica.com/science/2016/09/spacexs-falcon-9-rocket-apparently-blew-up-during-a-test-firing-thursday/

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 205 days!
Ooh, they were supposed to launch it. That makes much more sense.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Sundae posted:

Yeah, that whole ebook 'wear and tear' thing was atrocious, and it's part of why I don't exactly feel bad for the trad-pubs either. They'd do (and did) everything they could to be Amazon in the absence of Amazon. But gently caress Amazon anyway, because there are more than enough fucks to go around in that industry.

sci-hub/libgen are disrupting the trad pubs (and doing it in a way that's useful to more people than three billionaires and ten startup """"CEOs"""")

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Hodgepodge posted:

Well see they didn't choose a reliable launcher like Arianne 5 (73rd consecutive successful mission since 2003) but the still in prototyping phase disruptive Silicon Valley sponsored Space-X launcher that re-use the Falcon 9 rocket to save money instead.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

cool and good posted:

Pretty sure that was his exact point

Ford owning an uber like service is probably a little too vertical

Until they took it public in 2005, Ford owned Hertz.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Panfilo posted:

http://www.mercurynews.com/bay-area-news/ci_30263318/dublin-uber-lyft-partner-public-transit

Looks like some bay area regions are paying Uber to provide service in lieu of bus service. It'll be interesting to see how this changes public transit in the area. Paying $3 to ride isn't too bad and costumers don't have to be in the presence of poors either.

Sucks for disabled people though, paratransit services typically cost more than three times as much.

I guess this makes sense for towns that don't have existing bus service, but one of the big benefits of buses is reducing traffic congestion. Moving a whole bunch of people off buses and into individual cars will raise hell on the roads.

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

Panfilo posted:

http://www.mercurynews.com/bay-area-news/ci_30263318/dublin-uber-lyft-partner-public-transit

Looks like some bay area regions are paying Uber to provide service in lieu of bus service. It'll be interesting to see how this changes public transit in the area. Paying $3 to ride isn't too bad and costumers don't have to be in the presence of poors either.

Sucks for disabled people though, paratransit services typically cost more than three times as much.

Apparantly the transport authorities were losing money like crazy on the two routes that are going to be replaced. Maybe this will be a better use of resources.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Bird in a Blender posted:

I guess this makes sense for towns that don't have existing bus service, but one of the big benefits of buses is reducing traffic congestion. Moving a whole bunch of people off buses and into individual cars will raise hell on the roads.
Buses only make sense if they consistently have high occupancy rates. I know nothing about those particular routes, but we had a couple of them here that were packed (i.e. you had to stand smashed into the windshield the whole way) in the mornings but were frequently running empty off-peak. This is obviously much worse than 0 cars for economic, traffic, and environmental reasons.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

mobby_6kl posted:

Buses only make sense if they consistently have high occupancy rates. I know nothing about those particular routes, but we had a couple of them here that were packed (i.e. you had to stand smashed into the windshield the whole way) in the mornings but were frequently running empty off-peak. This is obviously much worse than 0 cars for economic, traffic, and environmental reasons.

Nah, you're always going to get peak periods like that just because most people go to work/come back at about the same time. What you have to look at is if the hour in the morning & evening that you save on traffic is worth the other 12 hours or whatever that they're very low occupancy.

And if consistently there's no one riding you can just not have drivers for that time period.

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

blowfish posted:

sci-hub/libgen are disrupting the trad pubs (and doing it in a way that's useful to more people than three billionaires and ten startup """"CEOs"""")

sci-hub is a legit heroic effort which is doing something good for humanity, because the actual authors are only exploited by the parasite that calls itself academic publishing. libgen also enables book piracy where the authors depend on the book sales for income and is imo pretty bad. I mean if you want people to continue writing fiction/non-academic non-fiction you have to either enable them to make money off their efforts or provide unconditional basic income.

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

mobby_6kl posted:

The article mentions that the No 3 route in West Dublin that was discontinued had about 5 passengers an hour.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

Grim Up North posted:

sci-hub is a legit heroic effort which is doing something good for humanity, because the actual authors are only exploited by the parasite that calls itself academic publishing. libgen also enables book piracy where the authors depend on the book sales for income and is imo pretty bad. I mean if you want people to continue writing fiction/non-academic non-fiction you have to either enable them to make money off their efforts or provide unconditional basic income.

Yeah. The whole point of copyright was to give an incentive to create; removing that also removes most people's willingness to create. It turns out that dedicating a lot of time that will give you no money is something most people don't want to do.
Academic publishing, on the other hand, is a racket. Authors don't get paid, peer reviewers don't get paid, only the publisher.
Now, I think there's a legit reason to pay publishers, since they do have the servers available, not to mention the efforts of curators like Westlaw, which often summarizes cases, links them together, provides analysis, etc. However, the current rates are simply excessive.

Don Pigeon
Oct 29, 2005

Great pigeons are not born great. They grow great by eating lots of bread crumbs.

Non Serviam posted:

Yeah. The whole point of copyright was to give an incentive to create; removing that also removes most people's willingness to create. It turns out that dedicating a lot of time that will give you no money is something most people don't want to do.
Academic publishing, on the other hand, is a racket. Authors don't get paid, peer reviewers don't get paid, only the publisher.
Now, I think there's a legit reason to pay publishers, since they do have the servers available, not to mention the efforts of curators like Westlaw, which often summarizes cases, links them together, provides analysis, etc. However, the current rates are simply excessive.

Authors not only don't get paid in academic publishing, they have to pay to get their work published (the rate was about $300 a page in my field.) Typically this money comes out of whatever grant the professor or lab supervisor got, but in the end it reinforces the idea that if you're not part of the ivory tower, it is really difficult to get any work published unless you are already rich.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
I disagree with pretty much all of this. sci-hub is no better, no more ethical, and no more legal, than any other IP piracy system or disruptor we discuss in this thread. It's also probably another Russian effort at making GBS threads up rivals, given its location, practices, primary targets, and the defensive rhetoric involved.

Mystic_Shadow posted:

Authors not only don't get paid in academic publishing, they have to pay to get their work published (the rate was about $300 a page in my field.) Typically this money comes out of whatever grant the professor or lab supervisor got, but in the end it reinforces the idea that if you're not part of the ivory tower, it is really difficult to get any work published unless you are already rich.

Pay to publish is not a universal practice in academic publishing- it varies by publisher. It's also done by foss publications.

Non Serviam posted:

If you think the rates for academic publishers are excessive, which may well be true for some of the for-profit ones, the proper response probably isn't to steal everything from all of them.

on buses: it turns out that public transportation infrastructure isn't necessarily supposed to be maximally efficient if it still serves a clientele that otherwise don't get to have jobs.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Sep 2, 2016

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

Discendo Vox posted:

on buses: it turns out that public transportation infrastructure isn't necessarily supposed to be maximally efficient if it still serves a clientele that otherwise don't get to have jobs.

Counterpoint: If those people can be served in a more efficient manner, isn't that a gain for society.

edit:

I mean... the article mentions that on the route that was closed, those five riders per hour cost their fare + a $15 state subsidy per ride. If comparable services can be provided for less money that is all to the good, right?

wateroverfire fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Sep 2, 2016

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Not when it's more efficient by because it's done by a third party that exists by flouting existing safety and employment regulations.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

computer parts posted:

Nah, you're always going to get peak periods like that just because most people go to work/come back at about the same time. What you have to look at is if the hour in the morning & evening that you save on traffic is worth the other 12 hours or whatever that they're very low occupancy.

And if consistently there's no one riding you can just not have drivers for that time period.
There are subtle effects, though. If you can't get home in an emergency -- even with one bus an hour -- then you may be less likely to take that bus at all.

Discendo Vox posted:

Not when it's more efficient by because it's done by a third party that exists by flouting existing safety and employment regulations.
And equal-access regulations. See the settled lawsuits about Uber drivers refusing service animals.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Quote continues to fail to be edit.

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

Discendo Vox posted:

Oh god can we not do this again.

Send your comments to the appropriate transit authorities. I am sure they will be very grateful and impressed with your hot take about their partner.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
Has there ever been a Silicon Valley company whose lore includes missing payroll and stories about the crazy days where the employees worked for free? That seems like a myth even SV can't sell.

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

Kobayashi posted:

Has there ever been a Silicon Valley company whose lore includes missing payroll and stories about the crazy days where the employees worked for free? That seems like a myth even SV can't sell.
Plenty, "bootstrapping" is a catch phrase for a reason. In normal examples of this, the arrangement is transparent and the employees in question (usually the first 5 at most) get extra equity. Hell, watch Silicon Valley for an example, those guys get paid very sporadically.

It shouldn't happen once a company gets to this size and is bringing in H-1Bs, though.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

wateroverfire posted:

Oh god can we not do this again.

Yeah, sure. Feel free to leave. You were wrong the last time you championed regulatory evasion, and you're wrong this time too.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Kobayashi posted:

I literally just read a medium story about this, including Photoshopped bank transfers to "prove" that payroll had been sent out.

E: https://medium.com/startup-grind/i-got-scammed-by-a-silicon-valley-startup-574ced8acdff#.ggz997hc1

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

Discendo Vox posted:

Yeah, sure. Feel free to leave. You were wrong the last time you championed regulatory evasion, and you're wrong this time too.

The actual regulatory authorities involved here seem to think Uber is fine to work with, so ??

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

wateroverfire posted:

The actual regulatory authorities involved here seem to think Uber is fine to work with, so ??

And they're wrong. You're not in a wheelchair, are you?

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Discendo Vox posted:

I disagree with pretty much all of this. sci-hub is no better, no more ethical, and no more legal, than any other IP piracy system or disruptor we discuss in this thread. It's also probably another Russian effort at making GBS threads up rivals, given its location, practices, primary targets, and the defensive rhetoric involved.

Eh, I recognize that they violate the same laws, but holy poo poo their business practices look like a next-level scam that I'm pretty sure only works because universities have a lot of money and are reliable, captive customers. They can't even claim to be doing a lot of the work a normal mass-market publisher does and they still have much better margins just for acting as a now-mostly-useless middle man that doesn't even pay for the expert work they get out of the actual value-add step in the process.

Ethically, I'm just fine if no middle men make any money from the dissemination of scientific knowledge, so sticking it to them is just fine by me.

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

Aliquid posted:

And they're wrong. You're not in a wheelchair, are you?

If only they were engaged in some sort of a pilot program that could be used to assess and address problems before implementation...

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

wateroverfire posted:

Paratransit services usually cost about $16 a trip and you need to schedule pickup pretty far in advance. The people relying on these services are often on fixed incomes . They'll typically get discounted or free fare on buses assuming they can access the stops.

Switching the routes over to uber means any disabled people get kind of screwed over. They don't benefit from a cheap Uber ride if the Uber vehicle isn't capable of loading their wheelchair or service animal. So they have to take paratransit at nearly 6x the price to go to the same place.

And it's another step toward privatization of these services. It means less full time employment when uber poached services from bus drivers and allows county agencies to save money at the cost of full time employees and the disabled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

That assumes Uber doesn't offer accessible vehicles, considering some cities already mandate they do so they probably will in these cases.