Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Graff
May 10, 2012

LastInLine posted:

you missed the male male hookup at eight oclock on the gently caress ring

good eye there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAMRTGv82Zo

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

duTrieux. posted:

the taste for spam was shaped in large part by the american military and also by food support (e.g. post-ww2)

that's why spam is huge in hawaii, for example

I always figured it was popular in Hawaii due to genetic memory of cannibalism.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

I always figured it was popular in Hawaii due to genetic memory of cannibalism.

Famous travel writer Paul Theroux has posited this theory:

"...the former cannibals of Oceania now feast on Spam because Spam came the nearest to approximating the porky taste of human flesh. `Long pig' as they called a cooked human being in much of Melanesia. It was a fact that the people-eaters of the Pacific had all evolved, or perhaps degenerated, into Spam-eaters. And in the absence of Spam they settled for corned beef, which also had a corpsy flavor."

Facing some criticism for his statement (apparently some people found it, uh, offensive) Theroux has since brushed it off as a joke.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

prefect posted:

Famous travel writer Paul Theroux has posited this theory:

"...the former cannibals of Oceania now feast on Spam because Spam came the nearest to approximating the porky taste of human flesh. `Long pig' as they called a cooked human being in much of Melanesia. It was a fact that the people-eaters of the Pacific had all evolved, or perhaps degenerated, into Spam-eaters. And in the absence of Spam they settled for corned beef, which also had a corpsy flavor."

Facing some criticism for his statement (apparently some people found it, uh, offensive) Theroux has since brushed it off as a joke.

i knew he really sucked!!!!!

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

https://fat.gfycat.com/RichNippyAnemonecrab.webm

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

DiggityDoink posted:

gently caress thats delicious is good in general but this intro is great
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AASA_3Bz_z0

lol ive been calling him weedman guy fieri for like 3 weeks now. never felt so proud to be so on target

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
cya later, friday afternoon motherfuckin shitlords

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

according to facebook's algorithm, the iphone 7 is canceled

epipen
Aug 11, 2014

nyoom
early saturday morning motherfuckers

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

:madmax:

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

fair play to blue if this was real-time :eyepop:

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

wow, all of a sudden the song make so much more sense. urban dictionary says it's a common expression in toronto but i've never heard it

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

lol

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Robot Pride
Aug 2, 2010

by exmarx

the best part is that the only reason the circle connects is because of a M-M connection

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

chalk, bumpy, flappy, creepy, rashful, sleezy, mopey

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9N7iMyLEJA

epipen
Aug 11, 2014

nyoom

lmao

the Wendelstein 7-X Stellarator fusion reactor
the shape of each coil is tuned to contain the plasma as efficiently as current models and techniques allow
apparently the final cost was ~1bn euros

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

epipen posted:

lmao

the shape of each coil is tuned to contain the plasma as efficiently as current models and techniques allow

whaaaaaat

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

sorry professor the dog chewed my stellarator

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

LastInLine posted:

you missed the male male hookup at eight oclock on the gently caress ring

late again eh

epipen
Aug 11, 2014

nyoom

graph posted:

whaaaaaat

its an utter nightmare to look at, i love it

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

epipen posted:

lmao

bullshit. they dropped it and were all "oh fffffine-tuning. yeah, that's what we're doing."

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

fill my wrinkled toroid with your hot plasma

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

epipen posted:

lmao

:wow:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

epipen posted:

lmao

i'm really hoping this works cause it's the coolest thing ever

one of the main reasons we have such big problems with tokamaks is bc in a toroidal magnetic field the outer particles experience a lower force than the inner particles (being at different points in the gradient), so you need to run a current through the plasma and constantly adjust it to keep it flowing without touching the walls. so far we can only do that for seconds at a time

in a stellarator you just design the plasma path like a figure-eight racetrack, so that every particle spends equal times in high gradient areas and low gradient areas. over the course of the machine the fields balance out and the particles stay contained on their own.

this makes the machine shape way more complicated, but if you can get it working it's theoretically indefinitely stable with no active control

also it looks like a proper science fiction starship reactor

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

q != e

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

NoneMoreNegative posted:

fair play to blue if this was real-time :eyepop:

Fair play either way, i aint banged that many chicks full stop, never mind in four years

epipen
Aug 11, 2014

nyoom

Sagebrush posted:

i'm really hoping this works cause it's the coolest thing ever

one of the main reasons we have such big problems with tokamaks is bc in a toroidal magnetic field the outer particles experience a lower force than the inner particles (being at different points in the gradient), so you need to run a current through the plasma and constantly adjust it to keep it flowing without touching the walls. so far we can only do that for seconds at a time

in a stellarator you just design the plasma path like a figure-eight racetrack, so that every particle spends equal times in high gradient areas and low gradient areas. over the course of the machine the fields balance out and the particles stay contained on their own.

this makes the machine shape way more complicated, but if you can get it working it's theoretically indefinitely stable with no active control

yeah im pretty excited, i've found this poo poo really interesting since i was a kid
stellarators are loving rad as hell and this is probably the most complicated we've built.
i dont think anyone expected tokamaks to be more than a stepping stone - just dipping our toes into containing plasma.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Death to those who reply-all with a furious keyboard-slapping "PLEASE REMOVE ME"

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
The 7-X is also my favorite big physics experiment.Not for any reason like the structural design, but because a) it's called a stellarator which is cool as gently caress, and b) it's called a wendelstein stellarator which is clearly taking the piss. It's the perfect nerd name.

The gold coils are control toroids that the physicists can gently caress with to fine tune. The blue ones do all the work keeping the plasma contained..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqmoFzbZYEM

burning swine
May 26, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

this is really all that matters

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

NoneMoreNegative posted:

fill my wrinkled toroid with your hot plasma

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

NoneMoreNegative posted:

sorry professor the dog chewed my stellarator

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

epipen posted:

lmao

whats more amazing is the whole thing was designed by toddler genius Anne Foster

• Locked thread