Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Tremendous Taste posted:

That'd be a nice gotcha if I didn't specify his current contract's guaranteed total

It would be a great gotcha if it wasn't a loving joke. Maybe step back off the concern troll ledge for a seocnd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

commy gun posted:

Please don't pick on military families. There's alot of vile hiding behind "you're dishonoring the troops" but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.

Thank you for your son's sacrifice ma'am but calm the gently caress down

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Spoeank posted:

It would be a great gotcha if it wasn't a loving joke. Maybe step back off the concern troll ledge for a seocnd.

I'm not as emotionally invested in this as you are, dude

Sheesh

E: I respect that you feel differently than I do about this, but I'm actually not trolling when I say that I don't think donating about a twentieth of one's yearly salary is a major feather in the cap.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
I'd love to see Kap come out and play lights out, Pro Bowl caliber play and watch the guys that are bitching and burning his jersey do a heel turn

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling

commy gun posted:

Please don't pick on military families. There's alot of vile hiding behind "you're dishonoring the troops" but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.

lol

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Tremendous Taste posted:

I'm not as emotionally invested in this as you are, dude

Sheesh

E: I respect that you feel differently than I do about this, but I'm actually not trolling when I say that I don't think donating about a twentieth of one's yearly salary is a major feather in the cap.

It's actually closer to 1/13 (he won't earn workout bonus because of injury and he doesn't get paid his signing bonus this year, it's just a cap hit, so it's $11.9 milly + $1.1 milly), so it's equivalent to a person making $50k donating about $3.8k.

edit: gently caress, math

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Roseanne Barr once sang the national anthem.

Now that was disrespectful.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

If you discount endorsements that's more reasonable, though I do expect the wealthy to have a greater civic responsibility

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Colin Kaepernick is cool and I want him to succeed

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

Tremendous Taste posted:

If you discount endorsements that's more reasonable, though I do expect the wealthy to have a greater civic responsibility

You must be gravely disappointed on an hourly basis. How do you even get up in the morning?

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Coldforge posted:

You must be gravely disappointed on an hourly basis. How do you even get up in the morning?

Doing my best to work for my community and petitioning others to help :shrug:

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

The main reason to stand during the national anthem is to not miss out on seeing the sweet jets doing the flyover.

Scrap that, what Kaep is doing is an affront to the nation and God, and his teammates should back away from him so he can get strafed by an A10 during said flyover :patriot::pilot:

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

Tremendous Taste posted:

Wait, seriously? Why is the amount he gives relative to his income more important than the actual amount? $1 million from an individual is a sizable contribution, whether it's a 2nd round pick spending his entire signing bonus, a player on a big second contract or Bill Gates.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

The widow's mite comes to mind

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

WHOOPS posted:

Wait, seriously? Why is the amount he gives relative to his income more important than the actual amount? $1 million from an individual is a sizable contribution, whether it's a 2nd round pick spending his entire signing bonus, a player on a big second contract or Bill Gates.

1 million from Bill Gates is not sizable in the least

A homeless person giving 5 dollars to a cause is a lot different from you giving 5, yeah?

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

"$1 million... wow... *sighs* how... generous... I guess. But you make so much more. I mean, cool, I guess?"

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

Tremendous Taste posted:

1 million from Bill Gates is not sizable in the least

A homeless person giving 5 dollars to a cause is a lot different from you giving 5, yeah?

What is the right amount to give to a charity?

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.
I wasn't one that particularly agreed with his decision to not stand for the anthem (I support his right to do so and if he thinks it helps the cause more power to him) but a million dollars is a million dollars so good on him. I do wonder how much of it is PR/agent driven, but regardless a million dollars is a lot of freaking money that can do a lot of good so good for Kaep. I kinda wish he would have led with this, but oh well.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

WHOOPS posted:

The right amount is to smash capitalism

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

WHOOPS posted:

A subjective figure to be sure. I personally give about 8-10 percent of my income but if I was wealthy I'd give considerably more

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

toxicsunset posted:

when i saw colin kaepernick sitting down during the national anthem i threw up so violently my wife had to call an ambulance and i told the emts what happened and they also vomited profusely, we just kept throwing up, for hours and hours, now i have all this puke on my stuff and its all thanks to colin kaepernick
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkWyQpQAe

Redgrendel2001 fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Sep 2, 2016

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
As a guy who got a D&D thread gassed I am amazed at you guys falling for this stupid bullshit

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

WHOOPS posted:

None. You're just enabling them.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Tremendous Taste posted:

A subjective figure to be sure. I personally give about 8-10 percent of my income but if I was wealthy I'd give considerably more

Holy poo poo you're precious. Lmao at your performance here.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

NC-17 posted:

None. You're just enabling them.

Hahaha

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Are you objecting to charity on principle, or the amount I choose to give?

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Tremendous Taste posted:

I think Kaepernick has shown that he is genuine and and dedicated to his cause, more because he has jeopardized his chance of future earnings than the million dollar donation. Even past that, the money he's making now is likely to be the money he needs for the rest of his life; retired NFL players don't exactly have a great track record financially after their thirties.

I hear your point; Bill Gates giving a charity a million dollars is like me giving a homeless guy a dollar. I also believe people in higher tax brackets, as a social obligation, should give a higher percentage of their income than most. But I do think you're understating the generosity of Kaepernick's donation.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Tremendous Taste posted:

Are you objecting to charity on principle, or the amount I choose to give?

I hope they aren't objecting to the amount. They need to keep in mind the value of the work you do for your community, which is priceless.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

fsif posted:

I think Kaepernick has shown that he is genuine and and dedicated to his cause, more because he has jeopardized his chance of future earnings than the million dollar donation. Even past that, the money he's making now is likely to be the money he needs for the rest of his life; retired NFL players don't exactly have a great track record financially after their thirties.

I don't think that really serves as a mitigating factor with 60m guaranteed.

Fred Jackson made a grand total of ~20m in his career and he's quietly put millions back into buffalo charities. Maybe he'll end up broke in 20 years but I trust his financial judgment

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
This thread sucks but it's not like I didn't know that was going to happen when I asked that it be made

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Coldforge posted:

I hope they aren't objecting to the amount. They need to keep in mind the value of the work you do for your community, which is priceless.

It's probably valued at about minimum wage. The time is just more affordable for me.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

4 lyfe

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Tremendous Taste posted:

I don't think donating about a twentieth of one's yearly salary is a major feather in the cap.

I sure as poo poo am not going to give 5% of my gross salary to charity.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

That's gross indeed

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Hating on someone for giving to charity because they could have given more is such a dumb thing. He also could have given nothing, so what?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

who is dumber, the man who shits on the floor or the guy who picks up the poo poo and tries to show it to him

a tff riddle

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Intruder posted:

Hating on someone for giving to charity because they could have given more is such a dumb thing. He also could have given nothing, so what?

Intruder posted:

Hating on

Tremendous Taste posted:

$1m is a really nice start, hopefully he gets a bit more generous but that's money that can start to make a serious difference

FeedingHam2Cats
Nov 10, 2009

MrSargent posted:

My new favorite is "MLK knew how to protest the right way and had solutions for change."

haha and remember when they shot mlk anyway

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

FeedingHam2Cats posted:

haha and remember when they shot mlk anyway

After the FBI tried to get him to kill himself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

sam bradford lmao posted:

Sometimes I pretend this thread is called "Colin Kaepernick joins the nWo" and I chuckle a little bit
:q:

• Locked thread