Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Even hardcore fringe Bernouts look at Stein for a second then go LOL NO 90% of the time.

The left alternatives to the Democrats are garbage tier to an astonishing degree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

withak posted:

I had assumed that our newly-ubiquitous fleet of taco trucks would obviously have to be subsidized and would therefore be both a jobs program and an anti-hunger program for those in need as well as being delicious and convenient for those not necessarily in need.

we are all in need of taco truck tacos

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

zoux posted:

Oh she doesn't have a chance in hell of making the debates. Even facing a candidate that progressives loving hate she can't draw more than Harambe.

I meant like literally when are the presidential debates but I just decided to Google it instead, September 26th is the first one

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

sean10mm posted:

Even hardcore fringe Bernouts look at Stein for a second then go LOL NO 90% of the time.

The left alternatives to the Democrats are garbage tier to an astonishing degree.

It's true, but let's not forget about the other factors here, Hillary's star power and how nonexistent the American left is

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

woke wedding drone posted:

It's true, but let's not forget about the other factors here, Hillary's star power and how nonexistent the American left is

That and Bernie successfully pushed the platform further left when negotiating his concession to Hillary.

B B
Dec 1, 2005

straight up brolic posted:

Chris Wallace gets to ruin Trump again in the final debate? Fully sick

I'd be very surprised if Trump actually does all three debates.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

zoux posted:

Remember they lost their poo poo at biased Candy Crowley for correcting a blatant lie from Romney at the town hall debate.

that was sooooo good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfmKpA30Xeo

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Zombie Samurai posted:

If you didn't have time to crunch the numbers on yesterday's biggest headline, don't worry. The Washington Post has you covered.

The national economic implications of a taco truck on every corner

Trump campaign adivsor says something heinously racist - "haha lets look into this funny joke and do a fun article!"

someone at a Clinton rally farts - "They were probably paid by the Clinton Foundation, as some sources that totally aren't just Drudge and Breitbart are saying"

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I said it was a blatant lie, but I guess it's just as possible that Romney could've just drunk his own Kool Aid.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

zoux posted:

I said it was a blatant lie, but I guess it's just as possible that Romney could've just drunk his own Kool Aid.

I think the Right is completely out of touch with reality and only know the caricature of Obama and Hillary.

Like I am pretty sure the Trump debate prep is just Laura Ingraham doing the tak-radio version of Hillary where she stammers incoherently and collapses from her HEALTH ISSUES while Trump just says whatever he thinks.

To be fair, the left did this about Bush. It's why Kerry hosed up that debate so terribly and got absolutely torched by Dubya with "you forgot Poland."

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

I think the Right is completely out of touch with reality and only know the caricature of Obama and Hillary.

Like I am pretty sure the Trump debate prep is just Laura Ingraham doing the tak-radio version of Hillary where she stammers incoherently and collapses from her HEALTH ISSUES while Trump just says whatever he thinks.
He is caught completely flat footed in that exchange and flails to save it, he really looks shocked that what he thought was true wasn't. He also famously didn't write a concession speech and instead spent a poo poo load of money on victory fireworks.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

zoux posted:

He is caught completely flat footed in that exchange and flails to save it, he really looks shocked that what he thought was true wasn't. He also famously didn't write a concession speech and instead spent a poo poo load of money on victory fireworks.

Yeah. People close to Obama have said he respects McCain, but thinks Romney's an rear end in a top hat prick.

--

Unrelated, a very good article by my colleague Jim Nolan on policing and racism: http://theconversation.com/how-american-policing-fails-neighborhoods-and-cops-63302

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

https://youtu.be/Zip4QyJyD5g

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

NYT story on how urban America is sending insane numbers of people to prison for insane amounts of time. Apparently Dearborn, Indiana has an incarceration rate of ~10%.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

FBI released its report:
https://twitter.com/markberman/status/771759800254394368

Enjoy hearing about Hillary's 13 blackberries for the rest of your lives.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

e: quote /= edit

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

VikingofRock posted:

NYT story on how urban America is sending insane numbers of people to prison for insane amounts of time. Apparently Dearborn, Indiana has an incarceration rate of ~10%.

What's the deal with NH, Vermont, Connecticut, and RI not having any data? State laws about collecting it?

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Wait a sec. I don't know an Old James!

Are we still bashing Prairie Home Companion? While I agree his show is boring, the voice is soothing. But the best was "Morning Pro Musica" with Robert J Lurtsema.

Listen to this and take a trip:
Show opener: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_sJ-L_KvF8
Interview: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvP8coSuUqo

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

FBI released its report:

God, who the gently caress cares? Considering how much she travels and phones running out of battery/getting misplaced this is barely a thing.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

https://youtu.be/Zip4QyJyD5g
e: i can't believe someone already made this same exact post

rscott fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Sep 2, 2016

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

fits my needs posted:

God, who the gently caress cares?

Why, the US Congress.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

zoux posted:

FBI released its report:

We already know basically everything that happened with the loving e-mail poo poo. Why doesn't the press get bored of this, like they get bored of Trump's latest rant within 3 hours?

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

zoux posted:

FBI released its report:

i cannot believe we're still talking about this

Reminder that Bernie's "The American people are sick and tired of hearing about your drat E-mails" was from October 13th of last year.

Ten months ago, and literally no new information has come to light

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

zoux posted:

FBI released its report:

iits a mobile phone, they fall apart after a few years of use, i know the far right will crow about it but after a half seconds thought this aint nearly so suspicious

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Wait a sec. I don't know an Old James!

Expect the Republicans to switch the topic from Trump's god-awfulness to the tyrannical Obama administration after the FDA announces ban on Anti-Bacterial soap.

ArsTechnica posted:

In a final ruling announced Friday, the Food and Drug Administration is pulling from the market a wide range of antimicrobial soaps after manufacturers failed to show that the soaps are both safe and more effective than plain soap. The federal flushing applies to any hand soap or antiseptic wash product that has one or more of 19 specific chemicals in them, including the common triclosan (found in antibacterial hand soap) and triclocarbon (found in bar soaps). Manufacturers will have one year to either reformulate their products or pull them from the market entirely.

Mounting data suggest antibacterial soaps do more harm than good
As Ars has reported previously, scientists have found that triclosan and other antimicrobial soaps have little benefit to consumers and may actually pose risks. These include bolstering antibiotic resistant microbes, giving opportunistic pathogens a leg up, and disrupting microbiomes. In its final ruling, issued Friday, the FDA seemed to agree. “Consumers may think antibacterial washes are more effective at preventing the spread of germs, but we have no scientific evidence that they are any better than plain soap and water,” Janet Woodcock, director of the FDA’s Center for Drug Evaluation and Research (CDER), said in a statement. “In fact, some data suggests that antibacterial ingredients may do more harm than good over the long-term.”

I have memories of the incandescent lightbulb debate.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

zoux posted:

FBI released its report:

"you mean you don't keep all the blackberries you dropped in waterr?????" the FBI said, shocked.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

iits a mobile phone, they fall apart after a few years of use, i know the far right will crow about it but after a half seconds thought this aint nearly so suspicious

actually, I'd lke for the members of congress to have their emails examined closely

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

fits my needs posted:

God, who the gently caress cares? Considering how much she travels and phones running out of battery/getting misplaced this is barely a thing.

If they were used for work stuff, they should have been destroyed properly, IMHO.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/danmericaCNN/status/771765499302641664?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

:getin:

Guarantee you Kellyanne and Spicer are going to be all over this 13 blackberries poo poo, so as stupid as you think it is, its' gonna get even stupider

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/danmericaCNN/status/771765499302641664?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

:getin:

Guarantee you Kellyanne and Spicer are going to be all over this 13 blackberries poo poo, so as stupid as you think it is, its' gonna get even stupider

its a holiday friday and trump is going to a black church with a script tomorrow so,

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I now get this joke twenty years later thanks to the NPR derail.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmkq7yylRkU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

its a holiday friday and trump is going to a black church with a script tomorrow so,

I didn't say it wouldn't be a pathetic attempt at deflection.

I WARNED YALL

https://twitter.com/ReutersPolitics/status/771763397625057280

zoux fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Sep 2, 2016

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

VikingofRock posted:

US prison terms are absolutely insane compared to the rest of the world. I realize that not everyone gets the maximum penalty but it should not even be an option. Like the guy in the article who got 12 years for selling pills, that's just nuts.

The other thing that gets me is the insane disparity between the financial penalties and the prison terms. Like I see tons of laws where the maximum penalty is $500-1000 and 3 years in prison. Like maybe if it's actually worth sticking someone in prison for 3 years over it might be worth more than a $500 fine? The fine is of course the reasonable punishment and the prison term is the unreasonable one, but it just makes it blatantly obvious how nuts our prison sentences are.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

iospace posted:

The only one who could recently passed away :smith:

Gwen Ifill's still alive :confused:

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Paul MaudDib posted:

US prison terms are absolutely insane compared to the rest of the world. I realize that not everyone gets the maximum penalty but it should not even be an option. Like the guy in the article who got 12 years for selling pills, that's just nuts.

The other thing that gets me is the insane disparity between the financial penalties and the prison terms. Like I see tons of laws where the maximum penalty is $500-1000 and 3 years in prison. Like maybe if it's actually worth sticking someone in prison for 3 years over it might be worth more than a $500 fine? The fine is of course the reasonable punishment and the prison term is the unreasonable one, but it just makes it blatantly obvious how nuts our prison sentences are.

It's because our prisons are used to punish minorities and poor people for daring to exist, not for what prisons are actually supposed to be used for.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The Shortest Path posted:

It's because our prisons are used to punish minorities and poor people for daring to exist,

Also for making money.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Kissinger's endorsement will be a bummer.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

sean10mm posted:

This may be a dumb question, but is Jill Stein even left? Literally the only thing I've seen her advocate are anti-vax and being a moron in politics.

Like, it's entirely possible I don't know my poo poo (and in fact highly probable), but I get the feeling people chalk the Greens under "left" just because they're a fringe party that fits "none of the above."

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

GalacticAcid posted:

giving a poo poo about kissingers endorsement is dumb af

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

GalacticAcid posted:

He's not endorsing her because he likes her ideas on secret illegal Southeast Asian bombing campaigns, but because the other guy is blithely sparking a lighter in the gasoline room.

• Locked thread