Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vorkosigan
Mar 28, 2012

Looks like Ranked is coming back in Oct/Nov, with the tiers being 6 and 8.

Already making lists of what to bring.

T8: Benson, Bismark, NorCal definitely, maybe some interesting things like the Atago or Kutuzov
T6: Dunkek, Arizona. Maybe Farragut?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Vorkosigan posted:

T8: Benson, Bismark, NorCal definitely, maybe some interesting things like the Atago or Kutuzov

As someone who hasn't played ranked yet, what's the deal with this? Is it worth doing?

Because I could totally have some fun playing ranked Bayern or New Mex matches

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

There are rewards and stuff, but you have to do it early with all the other better players, the longer you leave it, the more likely the entire pool of ranked players for it to choose your team from are gibbering idiots, who make it near impossible to advance the last few ranks.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

MadJackMcJack posted:

(This is mostly for lower tier)

For the IJN it's all about getting into the sweet spot where you're within torpedo range but outside detection range. Early on this is 7KM torp range and 6.1KM detect range. The best way I've found to do this is to charge towards them and at around 8-9KM (depending on their speed) do a hard turn so that you are roughly parallel to them and moving away. Slow down if you need to so they enter torp range, and once they do launch torps and speed away directly from them. Done right the first sign you are even there is a torp warning. For aiming, fire one lot at the marker and the rest further back, so that if they turn or slow down there's still a chance of hitting them. It's not a perfect method, since your target may decide to drastically change course, and there's always a chance an enemy destroyer stumbles across you, but it is a solid method of either getting good damage, or at least making the enemy too worried about stealth torps to focus of shooting..

Followed this, did 120k damaged in an isokaze A++ would boat again. Also just sank two full health kaisers with a salvo each gat drat those type 92's rule

Vorkosigan
Mar 28, 2012

Ice Fist posted:

As someone who hasn't played ranked yet, what's the deal with this? Is it worth doing?

Because I could totally have some fun playing ranked Bayern or New Mex matches

You got flags (and I think money? Not sure) for various rank milestones in the previous season. The big prize is if you reach rank 1 in 2 or 3 consecutive seasons, you get the USS Flint - an Atlanta with 2 less gun turrets, but gets US DD smoke and 9.2km torpedoes instead of the standard 4km. It's pretty ridiculous.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Another thing worth noting is that you want to get out ahead of the enemy. Your torps can't catch up to an enemy from invisitorp range, but when firing from ahead you get even more range to play with as a safety margin. Ideal position is flat side on to where the enemy's going to be. You can use the map circle to be confident that by the time the enemy reaches the torps they'll be in range.

Also the speed boost can be very useful for getting into position quickly, either to run down an enemy on a fixed course or to get into the vision shadow of an island. With regards to that, have a rough idea of what sonar/radar you might face, but if you aren't going to get caught out islands are amazing. If you see an enemy that's going to cruise by an island you can wait behind it and hit them with a point blank hammer blow. Ideally you can pop the torps off and be out before the enemy can see you but don't be scared to smoke up if there's a risk of being seen because they're really close to the island. It might not help but it's worth the use and will help once you open a bit of range.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

For those who don't have a tier 8 for ranked, I bet that by pure coincidence, Belfast or Prinz Eugen will be available to buy in the store

Vorkosigan
Mar 28, 2012

NTRabbit posted:

For those who don't have a tier 8 for ranked, I bet that by pure coincidence, Belfast or Prinz Eugen will be available to buy in the store

Prinz Eugen not getting a lot of love: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErX0mIY9P-Q

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
torping battleships at 2km range is the best thign about DDs.

if you can't handle the danger zone then DDs aren't for you

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]
So far I suck at this game, but bought myself a Dunqkerque and I loving love it. Shame on wargaming for giving me such an awesome ship with no tech tree to use the captain on.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

ZombieLenin posted:

So far I suck at this game, but bought myself a Dunqkerque and I loving love it. Shame on wargaming for giving me such an awesome ship with no tech tree to use the captain on.

French will get a tree to use it on next year imo, Dunkerque's big sister Richlieu at tier 8 and lots of quad turret ships all through the tree, probably this time 2017.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
So if you're on NA and don't have a Blyskawica yet, it looks like it's been removed from the tree in 0.5.11 to cycle in new premiums so get it if you're planning on picking it up:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RljYud-yKHE
At least I'll be able to buy a Saipan finally

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]
While I'm here, I've got two questions:

Torpedoes: I'm horrible at these, is there a mod that gives you a seconds ruler like the alternative targeting on the main guns to help me out?

Cruisers: Can someone clue me in on how to play these? I try to play support, but I always die in the fire.

Insert name here posted:

So if you're on NA and don't have a Blyskawica yet, it looks like it's been removed from the tree in 0.5.11 to cycle in new premiums so get it if you're planning on picking it up:

Does this mean there is going to be a Polish tree? I know a lot about big gunned ships... and I'm struggling with anything that could go in such a tree.

ZombieLenin fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Sep 2, 2016

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

QUACKING PERMABANNED! READ HERE

~SMcD
Torpedoes straight up give you an autoaim based on the target's current heading and speed. Line up the green arc with the white arc.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

Vatek posted:

Torpedoes straight up give you an autoaim based on the target's current heading and speed. Line up the green arc with the white arc.

It took me an embarrassingly long time to figure this out.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

ZombieLenin posted:

Does this mean there is going to be a Polish tree? I know a lot about big gunned ships... and I'm struggling with anything that could go in such a tree.

Nah, it's just gonna be scattered premiums, same as the Chinese ships, and a couple things in tanks.

Insert name here posted:

Also Sims, it's basically a Benson that gives up the good torps to get tier 7, I recommend it. It's a better boat than the Mahan, especially in the last ranked season, and tier 7 is the sweet zone right now.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Sep 2, 2016

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

MrKatharsis posted:

Yeah, and then of course if you're in close you can hedge one way or another to hit an enemy who's turning.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

MrKatharsis posted:

I still have no loving clue what this is... please let me join this group of people embarrassed that they missed this.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

You know how to target enemy ships? When you do that and have torpedoes active, you get a ghostly white torpedo indicator. If you put your green torpedo indicator over that white one and the target doesn't turn, the target will sink. Spooooky!

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

~SMcD

xthetenth posted:

You know how to target enemy ships? When you do that and have torpedoes active, you get a ghostly white torpedo indicator. If you put your green torpedo indicator over that white one and the target doesn't turn, the target will sink. Spooooky!

It's not even October yet c'mon.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

xthetenth posted:

:vince:

I mean, I don't play ships with torpedoes very often, but still. I've never noticed this. Got to hop on a dd when I'm home and see this thing.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
So I'll just nip on for a few games today and try to get my bonus win with my Udaloi...7 games later...

:negative:

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Insert name here posted:

Guess I better buy a Blyskawica. Been hoping for another discount on them, but I like that ship when I see it.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Ice Fist posted:

:vince:

I mean, I don't play ships with torpedoes very often, but still. I've never noticed this. Got to hop on a dd when I'm home and see this thing.

Assumes a constant heading but if they are busy firing at something else and you stay undetected it's pretty drat reliable.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

CitizenKain posted:

Guess I better buy a Blyskawica. Been hoping for another discount on them, but I like that ship when I see it.
There's a DD special week starting on the 4th if you want to wait like I am, hoping they discount it. Also it occurred to me they might not remove it from the online store, merely the tech tree.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

I'm still unclear why fixing the issue with incorrectly displayed type of hit flags is so difficult. Even aside from the penetration flags that do no damage and apparently don't seem to knock out a module either, there's still stuff like last night where out a single Nagato volley I landed 2 hits - recorded as an overpen and a bounce - and did ~4400 damage. Overpens do around 1/10th full damage, or roughly 1200 for a Nagato, and bounces obviously shouldn't be doing any damage at all.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

CitizenKain posted:

It's a great DD that plays similarly to the Kiev. It's a little slower but has usable torps.

Lord Koth posted:

I'm still unclear why fixing the issue with incorrectly displayed type of hit flags is so difficult. Even aside from the penetration flags that do no damage and apparently don't seem to knock out a module either, there's still stuff like last night where out a single Nagato volley I landed 2 hits - recorded as an overpen and a bounce - and did ~4400 damage. Overpens do around 1/10th full damage, or roughly 1200 for a Nagato, and bounces obviously shouldn't be doing any damage at all.

That bounce knocked over all the fine china in the officer's mess.

e: has anyone posted videos about the armor viewer that's coming out? It looks really great.
This is another iChase video that uses the armor viewer to sperg out about penetration mechanics.

Godlessdonut fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Sep 2, 2016

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Insert name here posted:

There's a DD special week starting on the 4th if you want to wait like I am, hoping they discount it. Also it occurred to me they might not remove it from the online store, merely the tech tree.

I wonder when 5.11 hits, because I think those ships are gone for awhile.

quote:

Departing with Style
Get 'em in the game or in the Premium Shop before they're gone for good!

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

~SMcD
I almost forgot how frustrating it is to play a battleship in this game, at least at T5 and under. Doesn't matter how good your ranging is, shells just get shotgunned all over the ocean even in something with reasonably accurate guns like the Arkansas Beta.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

:stonklol:

Thought this was going to be a loss when the whole team minus the Ognevoi, Dunkerque, and myself went to one side. And the Dunkerque was there mainly because he spawned on that side and was slow getting away. Thankfully, the other team pretty much trickled into our main cap (domination) one at a time, and every single BB was giving me most of their side. The only one who bothered to angle was the last one, the New Mexico, but there wasn't much he could do alone against a faster BB with torps. Especially when we both came around the same corner at around 5km. I still ended the game on less than 5k health, thankfully NM guns can't overmatch my bow armor or it would have been a hearbreaker! :v:

e: I am sad that I didn't have replays enabled :(

Godlessdonut fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Sep 3, 2016

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

Vorkosigan posted:

Rundown of what to expect in T6, in order of likely effectiveness-

DDs
1. Farragut : US DDs own Ranked.
2. Mutsuki/Ognevoi : both don't really work for Ranked play.
3. Anshan : Nerfed Gremyaschy.

CAs
1. Budyonny\Molotov : will be very popular ships this time around.
2. Cleveland : since they fixed the citadels, won't be as dominant a force.
3. Aoba : A decent ship that struggle somewhat in ranked play.
4. Nurnberg : obligatory exploding Nurnberg.

BBs
1. Almost everything : Fuso/New Mex/Arizona/Bayern/Warspite will do well in Ranked T6 depending on the player skill level.
2. Dunkerque : Maybe if its guns were modeled correctly. But it'll be too easy to target to knock out its guns, and it's already too easy to damage and too easy to flank.

If lower tiers are allowed: Minekaze and its sisters would probably show up. Gremyaschy comedy option.

Rundown of what to expect in T8, in order of likely effectiveness-

DDs
1. Benson : Will dominate the DD level, as they did last time.
2. Fubuki : Can be decent in t8 ranked but only by the fantastic players.
3. Tashkent : Not useful in current Ranked meta.

CAs
1. Atago : You'll see tons of them.
2. Everything else : (Chapayev, New Orleans, Mogami, in that order) the first two for Radar. Mogami is not nearly as good as what Atago offers.
3. Kutuzov : Although it has smoke, its primary game is keep-away, it's far too fragile. Using smoke in close against other CAs/DDs will just get it torped and it has 0% bulge armor.

BBs
1. Bismarck : They will be the majority of T8 Ranked BBs. It's just too good a ship for this tier cap.
2. Tirpitz : See above but torps and no hydro.
2. North Carolina : Can still put in the pain if played correctly.
3. Amagi : Can still put in work, but not like the above two in Ranked.

If lower tier 7s are allowed, you may see some Blyskawicas or Scharnhorsts or Sims or Lo Yangs.

Everyone playing CV would probably be in an IJN one so.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Pacra posted:

Rundown of what to expect in T6, in order of likely effectiveness-

DDs
1. Farragut : US DDs own Ranked.
2. Mutsuki/Ognevoi : both don't really work for Ranked play.
3. Anshan : Nerfed Gremyaschy.

CAs
1. Budyonny\Molotov : will be very popular ships this time around.
2. Cleveland : since they fixed the citadels, won't be as dominant a force.
3. Aoba : A decent ship that struggle somewhat in ranked play.
4. Nurnberg : obligatory exploding Nurnberg.

BBs
1. Almost everything : Fuso/New Mex/Arizona/Bayern/Warspite will do well in Ranked T6 depending on the player skill level.
2. Dunkerque : Maybe if its guns were modeled correctly. But it'll be too easy to target to knock out its guns, and it's already too easy to damage and too easy to flank.

If lower tiers are allowed: Minekaze and its sisters would probably show up. Gremyaschy comedy option.

Rundown of what to expect in T8, in order of likely effectiveness-

DDs
1. Benson : Will dominate the DD level, as they did last time.
2. Fubuki : Can be decent in t8 ranked but only by the fantastic players.
3. Tashkent : Not useful in current Ranked meta.

CAs
1. Atago : You'll see tons of them.
2. Everything else : (Chapayev, New Orleans, Mogami, in that order) the first two for Radar. Mogami is not nearly as good as what Atago offers.
3. Kutuzov : Although it has smoke, its primary game is keep-away, it's far too fragile. Using smoke in close against other CAs/DDs will just get it torped and it has 0% bulge armor.

BBs
1. Bismarck : They will be the majority of T8 Ranked BBs. It's just too good a ship for this tier cap.
2. Tirpitz : See above but torps and no hydro.
2. North Carolina : Can still put in the pain if played correctly.
3. Amagi : Can still put in work, but not like the above two in Ranked.

If lower tier 7s are allowed, you may see some Blyskawicas or Scharnhorsts or Sims or Lo Yangs.

Everyone playing CV would probably be in an IJN one so.

Lo Yang is tier VIII. It's a Benson C hull with Hydro and slightly fewer hitpoints. Also has the choice between Mahan 9.2km torps or faster, more damaging 6km ones. I'd expect it to do better on average than the Benson because it's better against other DDs (or anything in smoke really).

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

El Disco posted:

I had a Farragut game once where I got all the medals. It was my last game without replays.

Still haven't matched that performance.

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

El Disco posted:

Lo Yang is tier VIII. It's a Benson C hull with Hydro and slightly fewer hitpoints. Also has the choice between Mahan 9.2km torps or faster, more damaging 6km ones. I'd expect it to do better on average than the Benson because it's better against other DDs (or anything in smoke really).

I knew I missed a ship :downs:

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Well, so glad the idiotic MM is still in full force. Tierwise, teams were actually well-balanced. Spawnpoint-wise, utter and complete poo poo. My team ended up with a 3-ship division of battleships, along with a dual 1 BB/1 CA division, and spawned them both at the far west spawn point. I was the fifth BB on the team, and it of course spawned me at the far east spawn. Did I mention that the poo poo MM did the same thing for the other team, only reversed? So much fun facing down 4 battleships by yourself, especially as you can't actually tell it did that until too late to switch sides. Only consolation is I managed to hold an effective fighting retreat far longer than my unlucky counterpart on the other team.

Oh, and this was on Two Brothers, so it wasn't like one side could even remotely help the other either. Also Domination, so simply playing defense on the one side wasn't an option.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

CitizenKain posted:

I wonder when 5.11 hits, because I think those ships are gone for awhile.
Yeah I just saw the news post which implies they'll be gone from the premium store too. But in any case they always announce the patch a day or two before and they like to drop the patches on Wed so I'm pretty sure DD week will come before, since that's starting on Sun. Of course they probably won't discount the Blys but there's no harm is waiting.

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say
"I'll take your sheep from you?"

I've went from a 60% wr to a sub 47% over the past couple weeks. I haven't a clue what or where I'm loving up, but I'm starting to worry. It's beginning to take a serious, almost WoT like, toll on my enjoyment of the game.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

El Disco posted:

:stonklol:

Thought this was going to be a loss when the whole team minus the Ognevoi, Dunkerque, and myself went to one side. And the Dunkerque was there mainly because he spawned on that side and was slow getting away. Thankfully, the other team pretty much trickled into our main cap (domination) one at a time, and every single BB was giving me most of their side. The only one who bothered to angle was the last one, the New Mexico, but there wasn't much he could do alone against a faster BB with torps. Especially when we both came around the same corner at around 5km. I still ended the game on less than 5k health, thankfully NM guns can't overmatch my bow armor or it would have been a hearbreaker! :v:

The perfect game, nice one.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
A Dunkerque decided to try and run me down in my New Orleans so I employed my secret defense and pointed my bow at him, then proceeded to ricochet all his shots off my 25mm bow armour until a North Carolina shot him in the side. Feels good mang

Durendal posted:

I've went from a 60% wr to a sub 47% over the past couple weeks. I haven't a clue what or where I'm loving up, but I'm starting to worry. It's beginning to take a serious, almost WoT like, toll on my enjoyment of the game.
My solution is to never look at my stats ever

ever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Dunkerque should have been shooting HE at you, that would have done the job nicely.

Durendal posted:

You can't solo carry as easily in botes as you can in tanks, because the movement is so much slower, and there's a whole lot less damage mitigation. So if you get stuck with a team of bads, there's no real way for you to park your heavily front armoured TD/HT in a corner defilade and own everyone one at a time.