Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Fojar38 posted:

In the larger sense, Canada joining the AIIB doesn't matter that much because it still lacks the United States and Japan, the world's largest and third largest economies respectively, meaning the bank is going to be hamstrung for the foreseeable future. It does however mean that China gets to claim Canada's head for its trophy wall because it contributes to the "China rising and displacing America" narrative.

It's what I mean. It is a pointless bank and it isn't like us being in or out is going to stop China from stating we are in and on-board for the Chinese lead future (which is going to happen anytime now.)

I am assuming that the moment China decides to use the bank to bail out some stupid Chinese venture in Burma that threatens to bankrupt SE Asia we intend to pretend we cannot understand Chinese.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Can y'all rurals better insulate your houses or something? I guess that's just the cost of doing business living out where holes need to be dug and crops harvested? Thank you for your service.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

Doug's never going to shut up now. :ughh:

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

quote:

Ontario’s newest MPP credited Doug Ford for his success.

“Without his help, I don’t think I would win this election,” said Cho.

Good work Scarborough!

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Now that Cho's gone from City Council, we'll have another by-election. Which means someone from the school board will drop their job like a hot potato and try running.

Toronto District School Board: Helping Kids Only Until Something Better Comes Along

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

Good work Scarborough!

The revolution is starting. Wynne couldn't win even with a corrupt start. Sad! OLP voters stayed home. HIGH ENERGY!

quote:

The victory in Scarborough-Rouge River on Thursday, which had been held by the Liberals since 1999, is a coup for PC Leader Patrick Brown, who is seeking to prove he can make inroads in the vote-rich Toronto suburbs by appealing to immigrant communities.

Mr. Cho took 39 per cent of the vote to Liberal Piragal Thiru’s 29 per cent and 27 per cent for the NDP’s Neethan Shan. Voter turnout was 28 per cent.

Wynne blames hydro? What is going on

stalwynne posted:

“The result in Scarborough-Rouge River is disappointing and gives me cause for reflection. The good people of that riding have elected Liberals for many years. I’ll be talking with our Scarborough members in the coming days,” she said. “We heard at the door that hydro rates are increasingly challenging for people. I understand, as do my Ministers, that the government needs to focus on helping people with their everyday expenses.”

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

There should be such a thing as an electoral quorum. 28% is embarrassing.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

Doug's never going to shut up now. :ughh:

I doubt there was ever risk of that.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Those Hydro rates are loving criminal, my bill last month in Manitoba was 67 dollars for electricity and 27 dollars for gas. Good to know what is in store when the Manitoba PCs privatize hydro.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

flakeloaf posted:

There should be such a thing as an electoral quorum. 28% is embarrassing.

You're talking about turnout but the plurality percentages can be shameful as well. One of Toronto's Councillors won with 17% of the vote.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

patonthebach posted:

We live in the middle of nowhere and use propane for heat. This is about what an average bill looks like for ourselves and our neighbours...

How are you using 2300 kwh a month in residential? I used 1100 and 1200 kwh the past two months with an undersized 15yr old AC that runs all the time @ 22 all day every day and my family at home for the summer.

Insulate your barn with better than R4 friendo.

edit: fix your image you can see the acc# basically.

edit2: check this wanton disregard for money right here

Risky Bisquick fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Sep 2, 2016

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
i went biking last night in a monsoon and my goretex road shoes filled up with water like buckets

right now I have the baseboards cranked up to 25 to dry my super expensive bike shoes out and the window is open so i don't bake to death in here

lmaoooo

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
I live on the 4th floor floor of our condo building which is top-most and I rarely have to turn the heat on even when it dips below freezing. Thank-you blessed neighbours who heat my apartment for me. :smug:

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

namaste faggots posted:

i went biking last night in a monsoon and my goretex road shoes filled up with water like buckets

right now I have the baseboards cranked up to 25 to dry my super expensive bike shoes out and the window is open so i don't bake to death in here

lmaoooo

Get yourself a shoe dryer that has an air dry only setting, heat will gently caress your poo poo up. I had to do that after riding home from the last bad rain storm we had. I also ate poo poo and got the worst case of road rash I've had in 20 years and had a bit of a limp for the rest of the week because my tires apparently do not like hopping the slightest of curbs when it's at all slick.

The next day I beat my PR on one of the more popular segments though.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Thx bro but I'd rather waste electricity so bc hydro has less to export

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
No amount of spite is worth loving up your riding gear. Priorities, man!

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Pictured, girl at funeral of her boyfriend's brother who died of fentanyl overdose. 5 months later she also died of a fentanyl OD

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
What is it with the white people and the fentanyl

quote:

A barista found her, unresponsive, in a Starbucks bathroom in Port Moody.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Self correcting problem. It doesn't cost me money to have junkies die. It's the long term heroin addicts that make me mad.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
There's certainly a cost to society if you're generous enough to assume they may have gone on to lead productive lives otherwise.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Hahahahah

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
I know a girl who was vaguely related to me that died using Oxy in the 2000s. Stick to weed friendos, from legit dispensaries in TO.

edit: and another girl who died this year of fentanyl in AB.

Drugs are great guys let's all do drugs you see

Risky Bisquick fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Sep 2, 2016

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I know two single moms right now raising little kids without fathers because of fentanyl. The kids are so young they won't even remember their dads. Pretty sad stuff.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

DariusLikewise posted:

Those Hydro rates are loving criminal, my bill last month in Manitoba was 67 dollars for electricity and 27 dollars for gas. Good to know what is in store when the Manitoba PCs privatize hydro.

It's a complete cluster gently caress in Ontario. We're selling excess energy to the states cheaper than we're paying for it while subsidizing ineffective "green" energy initiatives with many of the same transport and delivery concerns of other forms of energy, not to mention problems of their own. People have been using the tax incentives off these as a money making scheme and I doubt most will be around to service their renewals in 5 years time when the incentives disappear. That money is going to cottages in Muskoka, it's not being saved for reinvestment. You've got the government hiding these things in the global adjustment so people don't even realize the extent to which they are being hosed. My cost of delivery has risen so much in 3 years time I can't believe it.

And the OLP want people off natural gas heating and back onto the grid, of course. There was already a little test balloon plan that got people riled up so they backed off temporarily.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

The Gunslinger posted:

And the OLP want people off natural gas heating and back onto the grid, of course. There was already a little test balloon plan that got people riled up so they backed off temporarily.

That was from a supposed leak and never confirmed. Do you have any new source other than the original leak?

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

And you think power rates are bad now, just wait until Pickering and Darlington have more reactor shutdowns for refurbishment. Apparently there's 380 days worth of outage scheduled for Darlington next year.

When all 4 reactors are going Darlington generates 20% of Ontario's power requirements.

It's also the CANDU Fleet's best performing generating station, and has been voted the best run nuclear power station in the world 3 years in a row.

We should build more. Lots more.

MA-Horus fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Sep 2, 2016

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

jm20 posted:

That was from a supposed leak and never confirmed. Do you have any new source other than the original leak?

The draft that Globe and Mail got with the 2030 date for no natural gas was almost identical to the document they released? And even then they just changed it to something that could mean no natural gas if they decide that.

quote:

The sweeping plan is almost identical to a draft version The Globe revealed last month. It contains 76 new programs, including financial incentives for homeowners and landlords to retrofit buildings and for drivers to buy electric vehicles. It also mandates a lower-carbon fuel standard for gasoline, promises funding to make factories more energy efficient and creates an agency to finance companies developing environmental technologies.

The Liberals also dialled back part of the plan that would have required all new homes and small buildings after 2030 to be heated by electricity or geothermal heat, a rule that would have been expanded to all buildings by 2050. Instead, the plan now says small buildings built after 2030 will have “net zero carbon emissions.” The 2050 requirement for all buildings was removed. A government source said the province has not yet figured out how “net zero carbon emissions” buildings will actually work, but the idea is for them to offset emissions from natural gas they use by cutting emissions in some other fashion.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
You can't heat buildings with electricity that costs 20c+ per kwh, it makes no economic sense. How can we even have geothermal heating when the suburbs get 36x80 lots to build 30' x 50' square houses with no land for the loop?

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

Heat pumps, really good insulation, and smaller houses all go a long way to making electric heat more affordable. But yeah it's pretty dumb to do that instead of natural gas unless power is crazy cheap.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Maybe our way of life is... unsustainable?!?!?! N... no....

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

jm20 posted:

You can't heat buildings with electricity that costs 20c+ per kwh, it makes no economic sense.

That's kind of the point. It hasn't really stopped the government here from making other delusional plans which make no economic sense with regards to the energy file.

quote:

And you think power rates are bad now, just wait until Pickering and Darlington have more reactor shutdowns for refurbishment. Apparently there's 380 days worth of outage scheduled for Darlington next year.

When all 4 reactors are going Darlington generates 20% of Ontario's power requirements.

It's also the CANDU Fleet's best performing generating station, and has been voted the best run nuclear power station in the world 3 years in a row.

We should build more. Lots more.

It's ok though, we've got some solar panels in Niagara.

I really hope the NDP or PCs make power an election issue somehow, it amazes me that people don't give more a poo poo about an everyday expense going up this much.

The Gunslinger fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Sep 2, 2016

brucio
Nov 22, 2004
People that don't have Pride Of Ownership don't care, namely me, because I don't have a big dumb house.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

sliderule posted:

Maybe our way of life is... unsustainable?!?!?! N... no....

Even super inefficient electric heating would be sustainable if we just generated vast quantities of electricity from nuclear, hydro, and renewable energy sources. Unfortunately we don't.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Tsyni posted:

I know some folks who live in cottage country full-time in their cottage. It has a heated in-door swimming pool. Their hydro bill is around $1000-1500 in the winter time.

Sounds like the sort of problem that can be fixed with Fentanyl-laced coke.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Cheryl Gallant opens mouth, inevitable says something stupid.
This time, she's saying that political correctness is responsible for horrific crimes and immigrants raping children.

Never change, Renfrew County, you backwards cesspool of ignorant hate. You elected this woman. Again.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug
Can we power and heat our homes with fentanyl? 2 problems solved at once.

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

vyelkin posted:

if we just generated vast quantities of electricity from nuclear, hydro, and renewable energy sources
Nuclear is a scary word. Fish are precious. Wind turbines are ugly / bad for birds.

Electricity is just going to get more expensive until NIMBYs and dumb environmentalists are shouted down.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Ceciltron posted:

If we overdose enough people with fentanyl, can their rotting bodies heat enough water to spin a turbine?

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

Ceciltron posted:

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

If we overdose enough people with fentanyl, can their rotting bodies heat enough water to spin a turbine?

A typical human being has 110,000 calories and being that between January and April, there were 200 deaths, that means that we 22,000,000 calories to work with or 92,000 kJ. Statscan says the average home consumed 106 GJ in 2007, meaning that we'd need about 2,000 fentanyl-related deaths to occur to just power one home.

Lain Iwakura fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Sep 2, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug
Listen I just figure that maybe we should shift away from zero emissions to full emissions. Just use human emissions to heat our homes.