Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Also, while Eden was trained by Gateway I don't think he was supposed to officially be a mutant. Especially with the later development where Hickman did a thing that Manifold is a universal constant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Molly has appeared as a member of the X-Men so they either have to walk that back or do what they did to Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Rhyno posted:

Molly has appeared as a member of the X-Men so they either have to walk that back or do what they did to Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch.

Wolverine appeared as an avenger, and Molly was an X-men in one storyline. She is more tied in with the Runaways which they have the rights too.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Rhyno posted:

Except for all the times when it does. Like when Bendis said he was told to stop creating new characters because Fox automatically gained the rights to them.

I'm pretty sure that was Chris Claremont, and it wasn't true either. He even called out Claremont for spreading false rumors in at least one interview.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Barry Convex posted:

I'm pretty sure that was Chris Claremont, and it wasn't true either. He even called out Claremont for spreading false rumors in at least one interview.

Pretty sure this is correct. Now that you mention it I remember it clearly. I knew it didn't really make sense because Bendis created new mutants all the way through his run.

And I fully endorse anyone that told Claremont specifically not to create any new mutants.

X-O fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Aug 31, 2016

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

X-O posted:

And I fully endorse anyone that told Claremont specifically not to create

All that needs to be said, really.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

X-O posted:

Pretty sure this is correct. Now that you mention it I remember it clearly. I knew it didn't really make sense because Bendis created new mutants all the way through his run.

And I fully endorse anyone that told Claremont specifically not to create any new mutants.

First couple of years of New Mutants gives him some leeway on new mutants.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Greg Berlanti is shopping around a DC Black Lightning show. The report is that it's going with the later story arc where he was a hero in the past, quit and is pulled back in when his family is in trouble.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I think I've had my fill of Bertlanti shows and that's not an idea that makes me rethink it.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Oh wow, his imdb page reads like a list of TV and movie crimes.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

What does an Executive Producer do? I know I could google it but I figure I'd get a more readable answer from you guys

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

It usually just means "head writer" or "writer who's getting paid more".

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

omg chael crash posted:

What does an Executive Producer do? I know I could google it but I figure I'd get a more readable answer from you guys

I think EPs for television are functionally the same as directors are for movies

I'm sure I'll be proven wrong in a minute

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

My understanding is depending on the type of "Executive Producer" they are in charge of the tone and general direction of a show. Basically they go "We're going to do stuff with these characters and these story lines" but don't generally write or direct the episodes. Kind of big pitcturing a show. There are times however where you get EPs in name only, like any time a big name director is attached to a show (Spielberg or JJ Abrams.) Those are generally more involved in getting the show up and running but that's about it.

There are exceptions where the EP will be directly involved with writing and directing the show but those are kind of few and far between. For example, Berlanti is barely ever credited for writing an episode and never directs.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I think it varies depending on the show. I believe (and I might be entirely wrong) Steven Spielberg and maybe Michael Crichton were credited as executive producers for ER because they created it, but they never really had a great deal to do with the show itself; it was more for the publicity of being able to say "FROM EXECUTIVE PRODUCERS STEVEN SPIELBERG AND MICHAEL CRICHTON" on the adverts.

Sometimes, there'll be multiple EPs, but the one who's actually responsible for the actual management of the series is the "showrunner". So, in the case of the Arrowverse, Berlanti is an executive producer, but guys like Kreisberg and Guggenheim, who are also credited as executive producers, play an overall larger role than he does on a day-to-day running of Arrow and Flash.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Showrunners are almost/always EPs. An EP can be as or nearly as hands-on as a showrunner or it can be a glorified honorary title that gives them some financial advantages/beefs up their resume. It can also be a situation where a famous star or showrunner with clout has a production company and gets pitched an idea they like, so to make the show more marketable they put their name on it as an EP. So, for instance, I would bet you a billion loving dollars that Eva Longoria's never ever seen the inside of a writer's room literally ever, but she has a production company and she's famous (in addition to probably liking both products because they reflect her acting history) so she ended up EPing Devious Maids and Telenovela. In contrast, Shonda Rhimes isn't the showrunner of How To Get Away With Murder (one of her protégés is), and she probably has minimal influence on the creative direction of the show (simply due to the fact that she's one of the most overworked writers in Hollywood with something like three shows she's currently show running) but she's also probably the most famous showrunner currently working and her name on it makes it a Shondaland show even though it's not really. But it is of a tonal piece with the rest of her work even though she's not writing or has significant creative direction on it.

Greg Berlanti seems to fall in that latter camp. He seems to be The Guy for DC's televised offerings and seems to have significant creative input on all shows they're currently running right now, especially Arrow which seems to be his 'main' program. If and when a Black Lightning show gets made he'll probably direct the show's overall creative arcing but probably won't end up running it in any significant capacity because he's currently got his hands full with Arrow, Flash, Legends, and the Arrowverse in general.

So probably another Supergirl situation.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Wheat Loaf posted:

I think it varies depending on the show. I believe (and I might be entirely wrong) Steven Spielberg and maybe Michael Crichton were credited as executive producers for ER because they created it, but they never really had a great deal to do with the show itself; it was more for the publicity of being able to say "FROM EXECUTIVE PRODUCERS STEVEN SPIELBERG AND MICHAEL CRICHTON" on the adverts.

Sometimes, there'll be multiple EPs, but the one who's actually responsible for the actual management of the series is the "showrunner". So, in the case of the Arrowverse, Berlanti is an executive producer, but guys like Kreisberg and Guggenheim, who are also credited as executive producers, play an overall larger role than he does on a day-to-day running of Arrow and Flash.

Basically this. Unlike directors, who have a set job, EPs can have varying amount of responsibility, including nothing at all. Sometimes it is a title just given for marketing reasons, or as a courtesy even. Even when I was in school, my professor explained to us that generally EP can be a fairly meaningless title, because tons of people can end up getting that title. EPs might be investors, original creators of an adapted work, the show creator, head writers/showrunners, directors, executives for the studio and/or production company, etc.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

EP can range from the creator of the show to showrunner to actor on the show to guy that introduced all the former to each other. It's about as wide a title as you can get in TV.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
There's plenty of stories of actors being given EP credits when they've been on the show long enough or become famous enough for it, then deciding to throw their weight around once they get it. For example, Jerry O'Connell on Sliders or Alyssa Milano and Holly Marie Combs on Charmed.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
Do you ever see "showrunner" as a credited role?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Wheat Loaf posted:

There's plenty of stories of actors being given EP credits when they've been on the show long enough or become famous enough for it, then deciding to throw their weight around once they get it. For example, Jerry O'Connell on Sliders or Alyssa Milano and Holly Marie Combs on Charmed.

There's several jokes in Simpsons and Futurama about how executive producer is a pointless payraise title for insecure people.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

qntm posted:

I don't think so - I think it's more of an informal thing.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Usually shows up as Created By, but not necessarily.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

qntm posted:

Usually just Producer, if not Executive Producer.

Klungar posted:

Usually shows up as Created By, but not necessarily.

Also this can be possible. But there are times where the showrunner isn't the creator. For instance, the last few seasons of Doctor Who were run by Steven Moffat who is listed as Producer (and writer, but not for every episode.) Show runners will usually show up as "producers" though, even if they are one of, if not THE key writer. You'll see their name in writing credits often, even if it is just "story by." Obviously this showrunner talk doesn't apply to movies.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

Mover posted:

I would've thought Marvel didn't have the rights to Squirrel Girl as she was a mutant from her first appearance until like a year ago. Is it just enough that she never actually made it into the X Men?

Or maybe that one off single panel joke retcon Ryan North did holds legal weight?

Was she a mutant from her first appearance? I remember there being a joke in a comic maybe a decade back where all the Great Lakes Avengers reveal they're mutants after they're told to stop using the Avengers name so that they could be the Great Lakes X-Men instead, but I didn't realize that any of the GLA were introduced as mutants.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Sefer posted:

Was she a mutant from her first appearance? I remember there being a joke in a comic maybe a decade back where all the Great Lakes Avengers reveal they're mutants after they're told to stop using the Avengers name so that they could be the Great Lakes X-Men instead, but I didn't realize that any of the GLA were introduced as mutants.

I don't know that much, about her history but I don't think she's ever been on an X-Men title, but she's been in Avengers branded books on multiple occasions so at most they likely share custody of her like Scarlett Witch and Quicksilver. I'm guessing the "not a mutant in any legal sense" joke was about something lawyers already figured out, not something done for legal reasons.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Sep 2, 2016

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Sefer posted:

Was she a mutant from her first appearance?

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Do we ever see how she got her powers? If I was fourteen-year-old who lived in the Marvel Universe and woke up with squirrel powers one day, I'd probably think I was a mutant too. But if Xavier or Magneto or whoever's running the Morlocks or Brotherhood or Hellfire Club at the time doesn't come calling, you're probably not.

Maybe she's some kind of minor squirrel deity?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I really hope they aged her up before she slept with wolverine

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

site posted:

I really hope they aged her up before she slept with wolverine

That didn't happen.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Lurdiak posted:

That didn't happen.

I swear i remember you guys talking about that at some point but i guess i could be confusing that with someone else

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

site posted:

I swear i remember you guys talking about that at some point but i guess i could be confusing that with someone else

Well, more specifically, Bendis strongly implied it did happen because I don't know, he's a loving creep, but officially, it didn't happen.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
lol that's great

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

She's also definitely not a mutant.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

Is Barb from Stranger Things going to be squirrel girl, or did I imagine that?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

Is Barb from Stranger Things going to be squirrel girl, or did I imagine that?

I think that's just a fan thing? Although I believe the actress has said she'd love to play her, there was no offer. They're almost certainly going to go for someone more 'hollywood'-looking if/when Squirrel Girl shows up.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The new Iron Fist costume looks comfy.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
im that dudes gold shoes

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

site posted:

im that dudes gold shoes

Like Louis the XIV going to a rave

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

X-O posted:

The new Iron Fist costume looks comfy.

That looks like a man who knows where his towel is.