Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

No it's a good policy, otherwise you'd get a wildly uneven playing field.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

counterspin posted:

That's not how PP handled them. They counted as general release from the first con sales.

http://privateerpressforums.com/showthread.php?258203-GenCon-new-warcaster-ADR-clarification-tournament-legality

Oh gotcha, well that's new and weird! At least they're making them available again pretty soon for anyone that cares.

counterspin
Apr 2, 2010

The change is bad. I got put on the spot because I really didn't want to allow them in my Journeyman because of unequal access, but ended up caving because people were really excited about playing them.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

counterspin posted:

The change is bad. I got put on the spot because I really didn't want to allow them in my Journeyman because of unequal access, but ended up caving because people were really excited about playing them.

Yeah I really don't get why they would do that. That's kind of annoying.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

S.J. posted:

Obviously the TO can do whatever they want, but yes, it's in the tournament packet and has been for most of a decade now. I'm honestly surprised anyone doesn't know about this seeing as how big a deal it's been with so many releases over the years, particularly B3. If you bought a model early and then specifically bought a bunch of stuff around it to bring to a tournament you'd think you'd have read the Steamroller document at some point.

Unless you are a new player excited to play in your first tournament. You know the format and read some of the rules, but you probably didn't know that figure you just bought isn't legal in the tournament you are about to play in.

And i'm not saying that as someone affected by the policy, but as someone who is considering new players in a game that just received a new edition and has a ton of new players currently exploring it.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

S.J. posted:

Oh gotcha, well that's new and weird! At least they're making them available again pretty soon for anyone that cares.

Their first break with the policy was with B3, who frankly is a much bigger deal than any of the Journeyman2 models. The distinction that they made is that while technically they are early releases, they were available to the general public through the PP web store(although a few of them sold out within an hour).

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Khisanth Magus posted:

Their first break with the policy was with B3, who frankly is a much bigger deal than any of the Journeyman2 models. The distinction that they made is that while technically they are early releases, they were available to the general public through the PP web store(although a few of them sold out within an hour).

Are you sure? I don't think B3 was allowable outside the venue. The special edition/early release models have been available on the PP store since Mk2 and that never counted as a general release before now. I know that there were people allowing it, but I'm pretty sure those were TO calls.

ShowTime posted:

Unless you are a new player excited to play in your first tournament. You know the format and read some of the rules, but you probably didn't know that figure you just bought isn't legal in the tournament you are about to play in.

And i'm not saying that as someone affected by the policy, but as someone who is considering new players in a game that just received a new edition and has a ton of new players currently exploring it.

Sure, but that's always been the case, that's nothing new. It does stink in that specific situation but it's important to have a level playing field, and I honestly don't think stuff like that happens very often in the communities that care about it.

S.J. fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Sep 2, 2016

head58
Apr 1, 2013

Grabbed an Elara for myself and a Tristan for a friend. I may just flip mine on eBay, not sure. But the store was smooth and easy. I even had time to grab a bunch of single cards I needed.

Meanwhile over on Facebook the salt flows freely from people who weren't fast enough. It gives me strength.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

S.J. posted:

Are you sure? I don't think B3 was allowable outside the venue. The special edition/early release models have been available on the PP store since Mk2 and that never counted as a general release before now. I know that there were people allowing it, but I'm pretty sure those were TO calls.

Sure, but that's always been the case, that's nothing new. It does stink in that specific situation but it's important to have a level playing field, and I honestly don't think stuff like that happens very often in the communities that care about it.

Only the con exclusive alternate models and special things like the B3 anniversary edition have been on the web store, not normal early releases. B3 was considered "released" as soon as that came out at the con and on the web store.

The main difference there was that the normal B3 release was only like a month later, while they Journeyman2 models are who knows when.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
I remember reading stories about people buying models released early at cons and hastily assembling (and sometimes even painting) them in their hotel rooms so they could use them in tournaments, so it has definitely been a thing.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

KPC_Mammon posted:

I remember reading stories about people buying models released early at cons and hastily assembling (and sometimes even painting) them in their hotel rooms so they could use them in tournaments, so it has definitely been a thing.

That is different. Models that are preleased at cons only are tournament legal for that con only.

TheInvisiblePooka
Dec 18, 2012
Not sure if my phone glitched or what, but I got a Captain Jakes in my cart, and then when I logged in it was gone and out of stock.

Guess I got to wait a bit longer.

Edit - fix spelling.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

KPC_Mammon posted:

And coffee grounds make decent emergency basing material.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

I have a bunch of legion I bought really enthusiastically and painted up before mk3 hot and now just not feeling them. Any Canada goods who would be interested in grabbing them? I'll try to hunt down some pictures but this is what I have (all painted):

-legion all in one box, magnetized multi kit ravagore.
-old style seraph/neraph (can't remember which)
-lylyth 1
-rhyas

Not sure what I would like for them frankly. Haven't really used them at all, but they're fully painted/sealed/based like motherfuckers. These are all the pics I can find of them at work, but would be happy to grab more if anyones interested.

Would also be interested in a trade if anyone has khador stuff they're looking to get rid off.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
A friend has been bitching about how OP khador is and has challenged me to play his cygnar v my khador.

Thinking of doing a maddox list, wanted some input. I have minimal experience here.

http://conflictchamber.com/#b11bfNeO9c9yaj9zan9HadfM9N

Cygnar Army - 75 / 75 points

(Maddox 1) Major Beth Maddox [+30]
- Dynamo [18]
- Firefly [8]
- Lancer [10]
Journeyman Warcaster [4]
- Sentinel [8]
Captain Arlan Strangewayes [4]
- Stormclad [18]
Storm Lances (max) [20]
Arcane Tempest Rifleman [4]
Long Gunner Infantry (min) [11]

My idea is that you've got the stormclad that with 2 focus and crush kills anything, storm lances that are hard to drop with dauntless resolve, AS on dynamo helps shore up its weakness while I put assail on stormclad, and snipe on a min unit of long gunners seems like solid infantry clearing. I like the idea of arcing her disrupt spell around, though with all those upkeeps is hard and I might want to go with something else there. Maybe replacing the rifleman with sylys.

The long gunners are definitely expensive, but not sure what to take vs infantry since I don't want to rely just on leaps. Gun mage maybe? Less range and no cra or dual attack, but higher rat and thunderbolt or critical brutal.

chutche2 fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Sep 2, 2016

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Khisanth Magus posted:

Only the con exclusive alternate models and special things like the B3 anniversary edition have been on the web store, not normal early releases. B3 was considered "released" as soon as that came out at the con and on the web store.

The main difference there was that the normal B3 release was only like a month later, while they Journeyman2 models are who knows when.

We'll yeah, I was talking about the B3 anniversary edition, since that was the actual early release model :v:

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

chutche2 posted:

A friend has been bitching about how OP khador is and has challenged me to play his cygnar v my khador.

Thinking of doing a maddox list, wanted some input. I have minimal experience here.

- Dynamo [18]
- Firefly [8]
- Lancer [10]
Journeyman Warcaster [4]
- Sentinel [8]
- Stormclad [18]
Storm Lances (max) [20]

My idea is that you've got the stormclad that with 2 focus and crush kills anything, storm lances that are hard to drop with dauntless resolve, AS on dynamo helps shore up its weakness while I put assail on stormclad, and snipe on a min unit of long gunners seems like solid infantry clearing. I like the idea of arcing her disrupt spell around, though with all those upkeeps is hard and I might want to go with something else there. Maybe replacing the rifleman with sylys.

The long gunners are definitely expensive, but not sure what to take vs infantry since I don't want to rely just on leaps. Gun mage maybe? Less range and no cra or dual attack, but higher rat and thunderbolt or critical brutal.

Do you have any idea what your bitchboy friend is going to be playing? As a Khador player who has to listen to people piss and moan aboit the faction being unbeatable every week I really want you to thrash him with his cygnar.

I will say as a Khador player I've never felt threatened by storm lances. If stormblades are available I'd probably take them instead, or take another Heavy jack.

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

Have you ever had fury'd storm lances charge you on stryker3's feat in laddermore's cmd?

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

gannyGrabber posted:

Do you have any idea what your bitchboy friend is going to be playing? As a Khador player who has to listen to people piss and moan aboit the faction being unbeatable every week I really want you to thrash him with his cygnar.

I will say as a Khador player I've never felt threatened by storm lances. If stormblades are available I'd probably take them instead, or take another Heavy jack.

Yeah stormblades are available but arm 20 5 box tough that gets a pow 18 charge on feat turn seems legit. They're way more capable at getting there, a good mortar or behemoth hit will drop a lot of stormblades. Or hell, just some widowmakers. Plus if he takes inf they can do real well with leaps. I can snipe them and have my firefly run up, then unload the lances into it to really wipe out solos and stuff with pow 12 leaps without putting my lances in danger. With reposition they can end their turn 15 inches away from the firefly.

He was talking about taking a list like my sorscha sniper list, but considering how much he bitched about how good our jacks are (and about how my shock troopers crushed his dumb rear end when I charged them at ironclads with assault) I'd say it's equally likely to be fighting a light inf force or a big block of jacks and manowar.

chutche2 fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Sep 2, 2016

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

w00tmonger posted:

I have a bunch of legion I bought really enthusiastically and painted up before mk3 hot and now just not feeling them. Any Canada goods who would be interested in grabbing them? I'll try to hunt down some pictures but this is what I have (all painted):

-legion all in one box, magnetized multi kit ravagore.
-old style seraph/neraph (can't remember which)
-lylyth 1
-rhyas

Not sure what I would like for them frankly. Haven't really used them at all, but they're fully painted/sealed/based like motherfuckers. These are all the pics I can find of them at work, but would be happy to grab more if anyones interested.

Would also be interested in a trade if anyone has khador stuff they're looking to get rid off.

I'm in the western US but I have asstons of spare Khador and some Cryx depending on what you're searching for. A lot of it is Mk.1 stuff but I have a healthy dose of jacks, infantry, etc Just shoot me a PM with what you're looking for. I have so much Khador that I'm really working on cutting out all the stuff I don't use because I wan't to be able to actually paint everything. Also IDK if you look at /r/miniswap (everyone should its the best place to score good deals) but there is a dude with one hell of a Khador offer up right now.

TheInvisiblePooka
Dec 18, 2012

chutche2 posted:

- Dynamo [18]
- Firefly [8]
- Lancer [10]
Journeyman Warcaster [4]
- Sentinel [8]
- Stormclad [18]
Storm Lances (max) [20]

Classic drop against Khador is Siege because his feat turn just makes high armor cry.

Barring that, I think you can make your list work against Khador just fine. The Arcane Rifleman can scalpel out solos, the Long Gunners can CRA a Khador jack, the Lances can out threaten pretty much anything without a horse, and the Stormclads don't give a poo poo about that armor.

I wouldn't put too much stock in Storm Lances against Khador jacks though. I'd say reserve your Stormclads specifically for the nastiest khador jacks, and use the Lances to seal the deal. Trying to do it the other way around will result in your lances being in the way of poo poo.

I will say this though - I rock two units of Storm Lances, Laddermore, Storm Blade Captain, Junior with Firefly, and Maddox with two Stormclads (oh, and Sylys tags along too), and that poo poo is amazeballs. I took on a dwarf army with it and held my own long enough for scenario victory.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
I think dynamo is really awesome but a second stormclad is probably the way to go, yeah. He does have a stormblade captain if I want to drop the Sentinel. No laddermore though because he doesn't actually own storm lances, I'm using my steelhead cav as proxies.

He has been using siege against me in the journeyman but beth is just more interesting.

So it could be something like this

Cygnar Army - 74 / 75 points

- Stormclad [18]
- Ironclad [12]
Storm Lances (max) [20]
Journeyman Warcaster [4]
- Firefly [8]
Stormblade Captain [5]
- Stormclad [18]

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Playing some trolls, brought my army that's built for melee

My friend plays Khador

Busts out Irusk2 and a Behemoth and a gently caress load of infantry and just shot me off he board while I did nothing. So that was fun

The second game went better, played my boss and his mercs. Murdered the gently caress out of a Nomad in one turn. Turns out Rage + Pulverize on a Mauler means P+s 21 for 3 fury a turn. Pretty good. Also lit a bunch of poo poo on fire with a Pyre troll and fought a bear.

I still got assassinated top of 3 because he did some fuckin nonsense involving blowing my mauler back and knocking him and my caster down and then shooting my casters rear end off but whatever I'm getting better at seeing synergies between things and making good decisions.

Also Krielstone with a full load of fury so that you're giving +2 Arm to most of your board is great

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
oh the other thing i forgot but editing on a phone is a pain to do:

trolls get so much better once you get past the battlebox and start being able to actually fuckin hit some things

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Ragnor is Steady, and can't be knocked down. I hope you're still using the Bouncer, which is a good model with a great animus. You should spam that animus as much as possible on key pieces like your Mauler.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Fyrbrand posted:

Ragnor is Steady, and can't be knocked down. I hope you're still using the Bouncer, which is a good model with a great animus. You should spam that animus as much as possible on key pieces like your Mauler.

the bouncer's animus is range self though

i did just realize that the axer's animus plus the mauler's animus plus Pulverize would make the mauler P+S 21 and beatback with speed 7 and pathfinder though and it just made me tingly all over

BENGHAZI 2 fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Sep 3, 2016

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
dont mind me just charging ten inches across this rough terrain to hit you with P+S 21 so im probably adding to the three dice im rolling right now, namaste fuckos

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a goat.

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

the bouncer's animus is range self though

i did just realize that the axer's animus plus the mauler's animus plus Pulverize would make the mauler P+S 21 and beatback with speed 7 and pathfinder though and it just made me tingly all over

A model can't have more than one animus on it at a time. So you can do this, but the Mauler would have to rage itself after moving, cutting down on your total attacks.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Oh right, I get it mixed up with Ragnor's cover spell. My bad.

Only one animus can be on a model at one time. You could rush the Mauler, have him charge, then cast Rage on himself before he does his charge attack. But that's a lot of Fury and means two less attacks for the Mauler. So it's only useful in specific circumstances.

Edit: fukken Commies

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

CaptCommy posted:

A model can't have more than one animus on it at a time. So you can do this, but the Mauler would have to rage itself after moving, cutting down on your total attacks.

rip my balls

Fyrbrand posted:

Oh right, I get it mixed up with Ragnor's cover spell. My bad.

Only one animus can be on a model at one time. You could rush the Mauler, have him charge, then cast Rage on himself before he does his charge attack. But that's a lot of Fury and means two less attacks for the Mauler. So it's only useful in specific circumstances.

Edit: fukken Commies

yeah Earth's Sanctuary is p good, i need to remember to cast it more. the no blast damage part especially is important, for my games.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

rip my balls

yeah Earth's Sanctuary is p good, i need to remember to cast it more. the no blast damage part especially is important, for my games.

Putting it on the Krielstone bearer is legit, as well as officers and key solos. If nothing else, DEF 16 heavies vs ranged/magic is pretty amazing. Also if you have the Moses troll he can cast it too.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

S.J. posted:

Putting it on the Krielstone bearer is legit, as well as officers and key solos. If nothing else, DEF 16 heavies vs ranged/magic is pretty amazing. Also if you have the Moses troll he can cast it too.

the who now

you mean mulg or rok

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a goat.

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

the who now

you mean mulg or rok

Trollkin Runebearer

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

CaptCommy posted:

Trollkin Runebearer

that sure as poo poo is a moses troll

being able to cast earth's sanctuary twice for 1 is dope

TheInvisiblePooka
Dec 18, 2012

CaptCommy posted:

Trollkin Runebearer

Trollodus 34:28

"And Troll Moses play tested within the company of DHUNIA for 40 days and 40 nights, and without stopping to eat or drink. And upon the tablets he wrote Mark III."

"When Troll Moses came down from Mount Cougar, with the two tablets of Mark III in hand, he was not aware of grief on his face."

"When the other factions saw the face of Troll Moses, they feared to move towards him."

"But Troll Moses beckoned them forward, and so Cryx and all the other factions obeyed."

"Troll Moses bestowed upon the factions the rules of Mark III, which had been bestowed upon him by MATT WILSON."

"With his words finished, Troll Moses placed his face behind a Page 5, and only unveiled his face in the presence of the Infernals."

NightWonder
Nov 15, 2015

"I Use Psychic To Put Stuff In The Toilet."
So I've been playing a lot of Circle, and I've been enjoying Tanith, Kromac2, and Moshar after coming off the heels of MK2 Legion. Now that MK3 is out I've been looking into the Warmachine side of things and I would like to start mixing things up with Robots later this year. The two factions I've been looking into are Cryx and Cygnar. Cryx has been appealing to me with all the debuff spells they can drop and banes are some amazing looking units. In the Cygnar side of things I'm digging Haley2/3 and a lot of the cavalry units they have, and the Black 13th. Though I'm still having trouble deciding between the two.

Could someone give me some advice on what are sorta the core elements of the two factions from Jacks, units, and solos?

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
Do you think it'd be noticeable if I painted my manhunter variants bare midriff to look like an undershirt?

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

chutche2 posted:

Do you think it'd be noticeable if I painted my manhunter variants bare midriff to look like an undershirt?

Never. Just go for it

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

chutche2 posted:

Its never been a problem when I've done it for a few of the Merc ladies. Besides, its never noticeable from a few feet away which is the usual model distance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

My brother painted Alexia1's cleavage as armor. No one noticed for years. I think a couple other people at the shop followed suit because that's what it was supposed to look like.