Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

Keg posted:

During the Chinese version of The Ultimate Fighter reality show where they compete for a UFC contract, one contestant was a yoga instructor who bad never been in a fight before.

How'd he do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010

Arian_Samurai posted:

How'd he do?

I think a wrestling coach made him cry, so about that good.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
idk what kiai even is lol

Chickpea Roar posted:

You mean other mma/boxing guys, right? I doubt there's many videos of mma guys getting ko'd by kiai masters or even krav maga or kung fu guys. If there are I want to see them.

well sure? The fighter matters way more than the system in question. A real MMA fighter is *always* going to beat some 'master' of whatever mystical art from some mcDojo. I don't think I've ever seen a "real" Shaolin monk fight a pro MMA fighter because they don't do that so basically anything you see that claims to be real prolly isn't.

And 95% of martial arts in China became theatrical wushu stuff meant for Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon style shows, not actual fighting, just to further muddy the waters. The actual fighting stuff was banned for over 30 years by the Maoists.

here's a hella fun fight though, kung fu dude in the red/black shorts:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fg8hRwnTw7M

but again just more indicative of that particular fighter beating another particular fighter, not that Kung Fu > Muay Thai

e: but like Bruce Lee was technically an MMA fighter and idk that I'd say he isn't also a practitioner of eastern style kung fu stuffs. He just realized the Chinese theatrical spiritual bullshit was crap and took what worked and ditched the rest (which is just what MMA is anyway).

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Sep 2, 2016

Budget Dracula
Jun 6, 2007

Say Nothing posted:

Giant roidy guys are fun to look at, but can really suck in the ring.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wfcQVxV5Cw&hd=1

Also, every Bob Sapp fight.

bob sapp is the king in fire pro r, ive seen him critical a non legal man off the apron in a tag match once

el B
Jan 30, 2004
holler.
Roy Nelson certainly never dominated the heavyweight division, but I don't think I've ever seen a better chin.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
reminder that Roy Nelson claims to be a Kung Fu martial artist

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
lol

his wiki just says 'Black Belt in Kung Fu' and the citation is just his UFC fighter profile what a silly man

Cung Le is who you should check out if you really want to see the Eastern stuff. He does San Da which is basically China finally starting to modernize its fighting styles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxvJCWU2xIo

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Sep 2, 2016

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

you'll love his fight with bisping too!!

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010

Zzulu posted:

reminder that Roy Nelson claims to be a Kung Fu martial artist

That's a pretty great picture.

Moridin920 posted:

lol

his wiki just says 'Black Belt in Kung Fu' and the citation is just his UFC fighter profile what a silly man

Cung Le is who you should check out if you really want to see the Eastern stuff.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxvJCWU2xIo

Are you talking Eastern MA or just Eastern fighters? Cause, if it's the latter, there are a number of solid fighters across Asia that have had regional and international success, including fighters from Korea and Japan

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I'm talking about fighers who utilize a more 'eastern kung fu' style that mixes it up a bit from the regular MMA stuff you see. His kicks in particular.

But yeah there's tons of fighters from Asia who are successful.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

Moridin920 posted:

here's a hella fun fight though, kung fu dude in the red/black shorts:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fg8hRwnTw7M

you ever see a cat catch a mouse and just play with it for a while?

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

Roy Nelson had pretty incredible cardio too for such a huge guy.

He could go maybe a round and a half before he was done. Usually guys if his size have maybe a minute before they are done.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

doctor 7 posted:

He could go maybe a round and a half before he was done. Usually guys if his size have maybe a minute before they are done.

I loved it when he won a match and rubbed his belly with both hands in celebration.

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

doctor 7 posted:

imagine his cardio if he actually fought at featherweight where he belongs

Robot Pride
Aug 2, 2010

by exmarx

Zzulu posted:

There are of course legit asian martial arts. Karate and Muy Thai being the big ones, but there's a lot of garbage out there also

Most of it is bullshit.

Moridin920 posted:

The fighter matters way more than the system in question.

This is really the biggest factor. Mostly hyper-aggression and conditioning which Crossfit is perfect for the type of conditioning you should have. I wrestled in high school and I wish so bad that Crossfit had existed back then because I would have been so much more in shape in the manner required.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
Just requoting the truth here, carry on...

The Real Foogla posted:

muscle ladies was the best thread in gbs imo

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

Robot Pride posted:

Most of it is bullshit.

This is really the biggest factor. Mostly hyper-aggression and conditioning which Crossfit is perfect for the type of conditioning you should have. I wrestled in high school and I wish so bad that Crossfit had existed back then because I would have been so much more in shape in the manner required.

i think if crossfit had existed back then you'd be unable to move due to destroyed joints from doing the stupidest exercises on the planet

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
you're just jelly of these sweet gains bro

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010

Robot Pride posted:

Most of it is bullshit.

I hear a lot of people talk up cross fit, especially some of the people I know that do combat sports/MAs on the side, but then I hear a lot of fitness people bash it as being dangerous. Seems like it must be decent for at least conditioning, albeit unsafe. Even a few fencers I know do it.

Also, reading about kickboxing in the kickboxing thread makes it seem like it has some of the most ridiculous poo poo going on behind the scenes compared to even normal boxing or MMA.

Robot Pride
Aug 2, 2010

by exmarx

Fat Shat Sings posted:

i think if crossfit had existed back then you'd be unable to move due to destroyed joints from doing the stupidest exercises on the planet

- a guy that thinks every video on youtube is crossfit

[pro-tip: they aren't but keep using this as an excuse to be fat. im almost 40 and have been doing crossfit for several years and have zero joint problems.]

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Zzulu posted:

There are of course legit asian martial arts. Karate and Muy Thai being the big ones, but there's a lot of garbage out there also

Judo and muay thai you mean.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Fire Barrel posted:

I hear a lot of people talk up cross fit, especially some of the people I know that do combat sports/MAs on the side, but then I hear a lot of fitness people bash it as being dangerous. Seems like it must be decent for at least conditioning, albeit unsafe. Even a few fencers I know do it.

Crossfit is all about utilizing as many muscles as possible during an exercise. Which... okay that's a strategy.

It gets dangerous because to become a crossfit instructor you need like $1000 (iirc) and to take a 2 day seminar and that's it. And the capital to open the gym. Then, these 'intructors' teach people to jack themselves up and ignore form in favor of just pushing out that last rep and it absolutely fucks people's joints and bones and poo poo up.

In of itself, afaik the concept is not dangerous no.

Robot Pride posted:

[pro-tip: they aren't but keep using this as an excuse to be fat. im almost 40 and have been doing crossfit for several years and have zero joint problems.]

well they think they are though bc some instructor who doesn't know poo poo said they are. that's the issue with crossfit, really. although yeah obv it can be fine, too.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Things to never admit to online posted:

im almost 40 and have been doing crossfit for several years

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

Robot Pride posted:

sorry we had a crossfit megathread for a really long time with thousands of examples of all the retarded poo poo crossfitters do and the universal realization that if you applied "That hyper aggression" toward real actual exercises you'd be much better off.

If you aren't doing the body destruction stuff and instead are just working out really hard at a branded "Crossfit" gym then congrats you are a yuppie and could do the same thing literally anywhere else for 10% of the money.

Robot Pride
Aug 2, 2010

by exmarx

Fire Barrel posted:

Also, reading about kickboxing in the kickboxing thread makes it seem like it has some of the most ridiculous poo poo going on behind the scenes compared to even normal boxing or MMA.

the basics of crossfit:

oly lifting (C&J, snatch)
power lifting (squat, deadlift)
kettlebells
limited plyometrics (box jumps)
calisthenics (pushups, pullups, crunches)
running

NONE of these are dangerous to a healthy individual with proper technique. Bottom line. Some fitness people poo poo on it because it's more effective than what they are selling and they want your money.

Robot Pride
Aug 2, 2010

by exmarx

Fat Shat Sings posted:

sorry we had a crossfit megathread for a really long time with thousands of examples of all the retarded poo poo crossfitters do and the universal realization that if you applied "That hyper aggression" toward real actual exercises you'd be much better off.

If you aren't doing the body destruction stuff and instead are just working out really hard at a branded "Crossfit" gym then congrats you are a yuppie and could do the same thing literally anywhere else for 10% of the money.

sure, fat gently caress

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Robot Pride posted:

the basics of crossfit:

kettlebells
running

NONE of these are dangerous to a healthy individual with proper technique. Bottom line. Some fitness people poo poo on it because it's more effective than what they are selling and they want your money.

none of those are really unique to crossfit though so why would you pay to do crossfit. all those things existed before yuppies paid crazy rates to go to a gym and do them under the Crossfit brand.

You can do all of that stuff by yourself except the free weights and any gym has lifting equipment.

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

Robot Pride posted:

the basics of crossfit:

kettlebells
running

"The criticism of Cross Fit is just because it is so effective it threatens the entire industry"
-Robot Pride, Unironically, 2016

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Fat Shat Sings posted:

"The criticism of Cross Fit is just because it is so effective it threatens the entire industry"
-Robot Pride, Unironically, 2016

lol

nm that tons of Crossfit people get rhabdo

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

WAR DOGS OF SOCHI posted:

I loved it when he won a match and rubbed his belly with both hands in celebration.

My favorite Nelson moment was his Ultimate Fighter match against Kimbo Slice when he had both of Slices arm pinned and was just barely tapping him on the head and looking at the ref to stop the match because it was over as Kimbo was a PR stunt and Roy didn't want to hurt him because Kimbo was a really nice guy.

That was the day that Dana White began to hate Roy Nelson.

Robot Pride
Aug 2, 2010

by exmarx

Moridin920 posted:

lol

nm that tons of Crossfit people get rhabdo

"tons?"

what the gently caress are you talking about? like 99% of the human population doesn't have the mental discipline to voluntarily induce rhabdo without plowing their car into a bridge pylon

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

Robot Pride posted:

the basics of crossfit:

kettlebells
running

You forgot the most important part: doing all of that poo poo wrong.

Moridin920 posted:

you're just jelly of these sweet gains bro

thats a good exercise tho brb beating the poo poo out my walls

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

can you clowns please stop arguing about crossfit

Robot Pride
Aug 2, 2010

by exmarx

LegoPirateNinja posted:

You forgot the most important part: doing all of that poo poo wrong.

thats a good exercise tho brb beating the poo poo out my walls

actual crossfit is doing it right

that's like saying trap shooting is dangerous and dumb because you watch videos on youtube of people holding the shotgun backwards and shooting themselves

Un chien andalou
Oct 22, 2008

The pipe is leaking
wanna see a Jeet Kun Do guy destry some MMA people

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

ROFLburger posted:

can you clowns please stop arguing about crossfit

A thing so retarded even Moridin can say something right about it, not lookin good for crossfit here

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Robot Pride posted:

"tons?"

what the gently caress are you talking about? like 99% of the human population doesn't have the mental discipline to voluntarily induce rhabdo without plowing their car into a bridge pylon

lmao please like the Crossfit people don't reference "Uncle Rhabdo the Clown" in their literature ever. Rhabdo stuff is in every single level-1 instructor manual, which is tiny as gently caress to begin with

you're like hyper defensive here lmao

quote:

The problems stem from inexperienced trainers. CrossFit level-1 trainers are certified after completing a two-day seminar and 50-multiple-choice-question exam. That’s all you need to open up a CrossFit gym and start training as many athletes as you want.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Robot Pride posted:

actual crossfit is doing it right

but bro the actual issue is instructors are not adequately trained and any chucklefuck with $1000 can open a crossfit gym and be telling people how to exercise

2 day seminar and 50 question quiz is not enough training

SOME instructors are fine yeah because they prolly operated gyms or whatever previously. MANY are not and are seeking to get in on the fad and make some cash.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Robot Pride posted:

Behead those who insult Crossfit!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010

Sheep-Goats posted:

Judo and muay thai you mean.

I'm pretty sure that George Saint-Pierre got by pretty well with karate.

And as for cross-fit stuff, on the surface it does seem really solid, especially considering the fact that a lot of the associated exercises aren't all that new. Hell, when I was still doing sport fencing, the coaches actually sniped some techniques for our warm up drills at the beginning of each class. Guess it's really about finding a good teacher for it.

• Locked thread