Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
beaver_cheese
Feb 13, 2001

Bad day for that beaver.

d0s posted:

No you typically need to adjust voltage and brightness for each board. Personally I'd get one where the brightness adjustment is on a single (triple) pot rather than separate ones for R G and B. If you can solder look into building one they're super easy and only cost like $50 to make a really good one. Also do you need a pure RGB signal like you get from an RGB SCART console or do you need it to output component or something, because this affects the price

edit: also I don't see any way to adjust the voltage or brightness with that windy gaming one which is way more concerning than the case

Yeah I just noticed that myself and was wondering why no adjustments. I think voltage is auto switching (maybe), but brightness seems like a pretty big deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

beaver_cheese posted:

Yeah I just noticed that myself and was wondering why no adjustments. I think voltage is auto switching (maybe), but brightness seems like a pretty big deal.

I don't think anything like "auto switching" exists in arcade PSUs

e: to get more in detail here, each board needs to usually get exactly 5 volts, but some boards draw more/less power than others so you need to use a multimeter on the board edge where it connects to the harness to make sure it's getting 5v, if it's over/under you need to adjust the PSU to compensate. there's not really a cheap way to automate that afaik, but I'm not an ee

d0s fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Sep 2, 2016

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
My fave supergun is the VOGATEK family of tiny little dirt cheap PCBs, now defunct due to manufacturer being an rear end to the creator/designer(/rights holder). Plug in sticks, power supply, desired A/V output (all varies on board model) the JAMMA board and done. Some models have resistors to cool off the high gamma, some have pots for more delicate adjustments.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Some thoughts while I'm sitting at home, sick and playing games.

I really like the bit generations series.

Gameboy games on a TV still feel like gameboy games. The difference in the size of the viewport is really apparent.

I want a new, hd, 2d focused console.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

RZA Encryption posted:

I want a new, hd, 2d focused console.

Rather than that, devs should just make good 2d games for current consoles.

I have really only loved one 2d game this generation, and that is BROFORCE on the PS4, which owns and you all should play it despite its terrible name

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

That axiom verge looks pretty good, too. Nintendo should have let them call it metroid and taken a larger cut.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

MrLonghair posted:

My fave supergun is the VOGATEK family of tiny little dirt cheap PCBs, now defunct due to manufacturer being an rear end to the creator/designer(/rights holder). Plug in sticks, power supply, desired A/V output (all varies on board model) the JAMMA board and done. Some models have resistors to cool off the high gamma, some have pots for more delicate adjustments.

you can still get em here

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JAMMA-ARCADE-SUPERGUN-PCB-MKIV-/331957552332?hash=item4d4a3644cc:g:dnYAAOxyVLNS4DiW

e: and as long as you use a real arcade PSU you're good on voltage adjust, though you have to add your own pots for brightness

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
Considering buying a Retrovision cable for my SNES after I confirm that my TV won't get pissy about it. I am aware of scaling, but what are your guys' thoughts?

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

RZA Encryption posted:

That axiom verge looks pretty good, too. Nintendo should have let them call it metroid and taken a larger cut.

Axiom Verge is ridiculously good, despite the weird grappling hook physics

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

OSI bean dip posted:

Considering buying a Retrovision cable for my SNES after I confirm that my TV won't get pissy about it. I am aware of scaling, but what are your guys' thoughts?

you'd still be feeding your TV a resolution that's not native unless you scale but if you're OK with that and if the SNES is the only console you want RGB from it will work. personally I'd spend a bit extra and get this and a SNES SCART cable for more flexibility but it's not for everyone

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

OSI bean dip posted:

It's significantly better than composite, which is probably the best your TV can do natively. If you have the option for S-video or you're using a CRT, you won't see a huge benefit. It's cheaper than a scart cable + component box, and build quality is good. The TV compatibility is the real kicker, but if it doesn't work you can probably flip it later on for more than you paid (assuming they run out again). I think the SNES ones were going for $100+ recently.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Quite happy with my setup now. Waiting on the soundcard for DOS games, but at least my old pc has a purpose again.

https://twitter.com/Rirse/status/771788066847457280

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Code Jockey posted:

Axiom Verge is ridiculously good, despite the weird grappling hook physics

If you like watching people play games, the retrorgb guy is live streaming it now on youtube.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Had no idea this was in development:

http://www.retrocollect.com/News/darksofts-neo-geo-aes-a-mvs-flash-cartridges-nearing-release.html

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Allen Wren posted:

Ugh. Now I'm depressed. I clicked on a stupid clickbait listicle because I was bored. It was "the most popular game the year you were born", so I figured I'd look at it, find its picks hilariously wrong, have a laugh about it. I click on the thing, bring up the first item.

It starts in 1982. I was born in `81. I'm old and irrelevant.

Not sure about the protoconsoles (although I imagine the VCS Activision library is sizable at this point), but 1981 saw some rather legendary arcade titles released. Probably the most popular would be Donkey Kong. Others:

Frogger
Galaga
Scramble / Super Cobra

Not as popular, but noteworthy for various reasons:

Borderline (Sega, possibly the first run-n-gun-style game?)
Fantasy (SNK, a super-silly but fun multigenre game with impressive voice samples)
Turbo (Sega, predates and influenced Namco's Pole Position)
Qix (Taito, spawned a bajillion derivatives, a lot of them lewd games)
Red Clash (Tekhan, the first vert STG to feature a non-starfield scrolling background?)

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Random Stranger posted:

I'm shocked they went to 1982. Video games literally did not exist until Nintendo released the NES in the United States.

Most popular video game in the year of my birth was probably Colossal Cavern.

You're definitely Donkey Kong, BTW.

Yeah, drat, forgot about Donkey Kong. Anyway, the list goes like this (and they're almost certainly doing some weird poo poo with release dates here because I told you this was a dumb listicle - and of course I go to Popular Mechanics for video game news, duh)

`82 - Pitfall
`83 - Star Wars (arcade)
`84 - Duck Hunt
`85 - Super Mario Bros.
`86 - The Legend of Zelda
`87 - Zelda II
`88 - Super Mario Bros. III
`89 - Tetris (Game Boy)
`90 - Super Mario World
`91 - Sonic the Hedgehog (with a screenshot of Sonic 2)
`92 - Mortal Kombat (arcade)
`93 - Doom
`94 - Donkey Kong Country
`95 - Super Mario World 2
`96 - Pokemon Red/Blue/Green
`97 - Gran Turismo
`98 - Pokemon Yellow
`99 - Pokemon Gold/Silver
`00 - Pokemon Crystal
`01 - Grand Theft Auto III
`02 - Grand Theft Auto: Vice City
`03 - Call of Duty
`04 - Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas
`05 - Nintendogs
`06 - Madden 2007 (PS2)
`07 - Wii Sports
`08 - Wii Play
`09 - COD4:MW
`10 - CODBLOPS
`11 - CODMW3
`12 - CODBLOPS2
`13 - Grand Theft Auto V
`14 - CODAW
`15 - CODBLOPS3

pinacotheca posted:

I'm even older and more irrelevant!

I spotted this on Wikipedia the other day, and if nothing else it proves that you're never too old or irrelevant to play videogames and learn something from them:

Hopefully the solution was "the murderer escaped by driving into a boathouse, thus immediately transforming his car into a boat and speeding off to freedom, leaving behind several mystified police officers on the road".

Fair play to her, though. You never saw Quincy getting one over on a gang of corrupt property developers by beating them at, say, Zaxxon.

loving incredible

e:

Ofecks posted:

Not sure about the protoconsoles (although I imagine the VCS Activision library is sizable at this point), but 1981 saw some rather legendary arcade titles released. Probably the most popular would be Donkey Kong. Others:

Frogger
Galaga
Scramble / Super Cobra

Fantasy (SNK, a super-silly but fun multigenre game with impressive voice samples)
Red Clash (Tekhan, the first vert STG to feature a non-starfield scrolling background?)

Turbo is probably my favorite of those that I've played (which is to say all of them except Borderline and Fantasy.)

hexwren fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Sep 2, 2016

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Christ...codcodcodcodgtacodcod

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I'll admit I mostly wanted an excuse to type "codblops" which is way more fun to say than it is to play.

Motorola 68000
Apr 25, 2014

"Don't be nice. Be good."
I want to mod my gameboy pocket by back lighting it and installing a bivert chip. I have found these easily on Hand Held Legend although they are out of back light kits currently. What I really want is A GBP glass screen without the power light indicator. They have them with it but my GBP doesn't have one.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!
The only ones that were surprising to me were Gran Turismo, Nintendogs and Wii Play.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

d0s posted:

I don't think anything like "auto switching" exists in arcade PSUs

e: to get more in detail here, each board needs to usually get exactly 5 volts, but some boards draw more/less power than others so you need to use a multimeter on the board edge where it connects to the harness to make sure it's getting 5v, if it's over/under you need to adjust the PSU to compensate. there's not really a cheap way to automate that afaik, but I'm not an ee

You kind of can but it's super expensive as the kind of voltage regulator for that amperage would be expensive

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!

Wizgot posted:

I want to mod my gameboy pocket by back lighting it and installing a bivert chip. I have found these easily on Hand Held Legend although they are out of back light kits currently. What I really want is A GBP glass screen without the power light indicator. They have them with it but my GBP doesn't have one.

So they only have glass screens with power light indicator holes? You could black it out I guess, though It would look fine even if you don't have an LED, it just won't be illuminated. Otherwise, you could just install your own LED. Or, maybe you could put a little film or use a marker to put a small dot over the LED window so the backlight may bleed enough to illuminate that.

Glass screens are a must.

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

Wizgot posted:

Couldn't you just not hook up the one they have? Or is it just the empty space would bug you?

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

FireMrshlBill posted:

The only ones that were surprising to me were Gran Turismo, Nintendogs and Wii Play.

The ones that bug me in terms of making me wonder if things are actually correct on the list are the release dates of the early Pokemons and Duck Hunt being the most popular game of 1984.

VVVVV that's what I thought

hexwren fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Sep 2, 2016

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

They're clearly cheesing it by using Japanese release dates - SMB3 in 1988 and Pokémon Gen 1 in 1996, for instance, instead of their Western release dates of 1990 and 1998, respectively.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
Hey so there's an update on that US N64DD prototype that got found:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pe-fs1COgr0

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

I would argue that any of the influential arcade shmups that came out in 84 were more popular than VS. Duck Hunt (most notably 1942), but that's probably just me being biased for my favorite genre.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Rather than that, devs should just make good 2d games for current consoles.

I have really only loved one 2d game this generation, and that is BROFORCE on the PS4, which owns and you all should play it despite its terrible name

What kind of deviant doesn't love Shovel Knight?

Ofecks posted:

Frogger
Galaga
Scramble / Super Cobra

Turbo and Qix are some of my favorite games and my local retroarcade recently got a Scramble machine that I've fallen in love with despite being able to play for about ten minutes on my first try. I think Scramble is relatively obscure among the general public even though it's super important to video game history, so I wouldn't say it's really in the running the most popular game of that year.

Allen Wren posted:

Yeah, drat, forgot about Donkey Kong. Anyway, the list goes like this (and they're almost certainly doing some weird poo poo with release dates here because I told you this was a dumb listicle - and of course I go to Popular Mechanics for video game news, duh)

[snip terrible list]

Oh yeah, that's definitely a "I remember this being popular" thing rather than something that used any kind of actual metric.

FireMrshlBill posted:

Wii Play sold an absurd number of copies. Yeah it was a pack it, but it was a pack in that was moving systems like mad so I think it's fair to talk about it that way. When it comes to best selling games of all time it's essentially Super Mario Bros, Wii Play, Tetris (especially Game Boy Tetris), and Minecraft (which I guess doesn't count in the clickbaiter's eyes).

Ofecks posted:

I would argue that any of the influential arcade shmups that came out in 84 were more popular than VS. Duck Hunt (most notably 1942), but that's probably just me being biased for my favorite genre.

Not vs. Duck Hunt, the actual Duck Hunt. Of course, the Famicom version of Duck Hunt is fairly obscure so I wouldn't say it was the most popular game of 1984.

I'm thinking here and it's really hard for 1984. Tetris was invented in 1984, but it didn't really break out until it hit western computer systems a few years later. It was a bad year for arcades with everyone transitioning between hardware and the old arcades starting to have trouble. The Famicom was in the sophomore slump and there's nothing really notable for it. I can't in good faith call anything from ColecoVision, Intellivision, or on the Atari 5200 "popular", and 1984 was the nadir of 2600 development, though Pitfall II was released. I think I'd have to go with Elite just because it was kind of a big deal. That or Marble Madness...

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Ofecks posted:

They specifically cite it as NES Duck Hunt, which is more Japanese release date/sales figures poo poo.

But, yeah, 1984 has all of these, which I would have assumed were more popular than Vs. Duck Hunt (which MAME lists as being released in `85 anyway):

Hat Trick (seriously, I've seen that cab way more often than one would think)
Karate Champ
Kung-Fu Master
Lode Runner
Marble Madness
Mr. Do's Wild Ride
Paperboy
Punch-Out
Return of the Jedi

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Allen Wren posted:

`82 - Pitfall
`83 - Star Wars (arcade)
`84 - Duck Hunt
`85 - Super Mario Bros.
`86 - The Legend of Zelda
`87 - Zelda II
`88 - Super Mario Bros. III
`89 - Tetris (Game Boy)
`90 - Super Mario World
`91 - Sonic the Hedgehog (with a screenshot of Sonic 2)
`92 - Mortal Kombat (arcade)
`93 - Doom
`94 - Donkey Kong Country
`95 - Super Mario World 2
`96 - Pokemon Red/Blue/Green
`97 - Gran Turismo
`98 - Pokemon Yellow
`99 - Pokemon Gold/Silver
`00 - Pokemon Crystal
`01 - Grand Theft Auto III
`02 - Grand Theft Auto: Vice City
`03 - Call of Duty
`04 - Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas
`05 - Nintendogs
`06 - Madden 2007 (PS2)
`07 - Wii Sports
`08 - Wii Play
`09 - COD4:MW
`10 - CODBLOPS
`11 - CODMW3
`12 - CODBLOPS2
`13 - Grand Theft Auto V
`14 - CODAW
`15 - CODBLOPS3

Well if what they're doing is just seeing what sold the most in a year, then I certainly believe that finding out the sales figures for 1981 and earlier would be really difficult and frankly 82 and 83 as well.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Looking through catalogs trying to remember if anything good came out for a console in 1984, I found this ad:

(I know I've mentioned it in these threads before, but I actually used one of the prototypes back in the 1980's when it was in development.)

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Hi guys,

This beauty came into my possession with the purchase of my house

And I found these guys inside of it:

They're for the '99 version of the game, though i have no idea how to install them nor what they're good for

For some reason, I'm getting some weird flicker, which i think is from something going on with the motherboard or whatever these old doohickeys are called

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIuHbU2lsHo

I would love to fix this if it's cheap. It would also be cool to have some idea of how much this bad boy is worth and if I can swap out the chips to play a different game (i can tell at least the monitor was used for a different game based on this

)

Anyways, what are some tips for owning old arcade games?

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

New GBA Everdrive update with GB and. GBC emulation built into the UI. Nice.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

ahahahahaha war gods

XYZ
Aug 31, 2001

Thought this was neat. Retro light-gun games played on a modern TV.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzIPGpKo3Ag

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
There are Golden Tee fans of the kind who'd pay a respectable bit for that cab even though it is a conversion, the kind of fans that'd drive several states and pay. Just no clue how much. Monitor would require a recapping and general checkup of components, PSU, general cleanup and airout, check game board health. Just the monitor and PSU should be something a TV repair greybeard could do for a fee, would be worth it because the game is great. No biggie to give it a new control panel for use with an ordinary sticks & buttons setup if to keep it, not much soldering required, just slight finesse and work.

beaver_cheese
Feb 13, 2001

Bad day for that beaver.

dishwasherlove posted:

So awesome! What a great update.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

XYZ posted:

Thought this was neat. Retro light-gun games played on a modern TV.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzIPGpKo3Ag

I always wondered if you rigged up something like this, where you have a separate device processing the video, would it work. Awesome that somebody built it.

dishwasherlove posted:

And the 1.04 bootloader fixed the issue with my SD card. Hurrah for having faith rewarded.

Chilled Milk fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Sep 3, 2016

UnhandledException
Jun 27, 2016

Not enough memories.
I finally bit the bullet and got me a modded Neo Geo CD. :retrogames:

You're probably thinking I'm crazy picking the CD unit over a consolized MVS, but I'm quite happy with my purchase! I've been playing the Neo Geo in arcades and emulated form for years, and it's actually quite refreshing to play the CD versions. I especially enjoy the remixed music and exclusive features in games like Neo Turf Masters.

You can't play the extra challenging Scotland course in the cartridge version! But, my biggest deciding factor was actually Windjammers. That game alone would have cost almost as much as I paid for this entire CD setup. It even has CD exclusive options, plus none of the multicarts seemed to feature it. There's also CD exclusive games like Crossed Swords II and Ironclad that are fun to play, too!

There are games I regret not being able to play on real hardware like Blazing Star, Sengoku 3, Magical Drop III and Super Dodge Ball, but most of the other games in the series (outside of Dodge Ball) are playable. The other missing favorites are playable on other systems I have, like Stakes Winner 2 and Mark of the Wolves.

Regarding Stakes Winner (a game I seem to be alone in enjoying), the CD version is an anomaly. It's nothing like the other versions, almost like a Stakes Winner 1.5 (but JP only).

I've played all the Metal Slug games to death in the arcades, except the first game. It was extremely rare locally, so I never got burned out of playing it. The loading screens are actually kinda neat! They took full "advantage" of them, and I also have the (modded) advantage of being able to see red blood.

There are also tons of subtle differences in the CD versions like Neo Drift Out. The artwork is different in many places, but the gameplay seems the same. There's also fun homebrew conversions to the CD format for the smaller games. They mostly work (Neo Mr. Do does not work for me!), but they serve as a novelty for those that don't have MVS/AES.

If anyone wants a Neo Geo Cd, I would highly recommend getting the modded version over stock. The unlimited continue cheats come in handy to make it feel like the arcade (especially since I suck at the first Metal Slug). You also also don't have to worry about copy protection or region lockout, as everything just works.

Finally, the load times... Are they really mind numbingly impossible to deal with? No way! This has been highly exaggerated by the community! If you're used to the cartridge versions, of course you're going to be annoyed by ANY load times, especially for the fighting games. But, nowadays you can just look at your phones during loading. It's really not a big deal, and it's not much worse than the Dreamcast ports. I honestly was expecting so much worse, from what everyone was warning me.

I've got mine hooked up to S-Video on an old CRT, and it's absolutely gorgeous. Don't believe the hype, and don't bother with a CDZ. If you're the type that loves Neo Geo games, but not necessarily exclusive to playing the fighting games, I'd say Neo Geo CD is worth it. :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

enjoy that, the NGCD is a great way to get into Neo-Geo on the cheap. very jealous of your modded CD-Z, all I have is an unmodded toploader. I do keep an MVS to use with my supergun for stuff like blazing star but being able to just burn the majority of the library and toss it in kicks rear end

edit: whoa didn't notice you don't have a CDZ, I guess the mod changes the loading screens?

• Locked thread