Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

grumplestiltzkin posted:

All that being said, I'm still laughing my rear end off at it because it's fuckin' funny to watch people who make a living doing youtube videos whine about the prospect of being forced to get a real job.

Audio visual production is a real job

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Stan Taylor posted:

Post a man falling off a ladder

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvftCxoLLYw

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Ah, missed that this guy was a histrionic idiot, my b

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Control Volume posted:

Ah, missed that this guy was a histrionic idiot, my b

Dude Doxxing is not cool

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Jastiger posted:

Dude Doxxing is not cool

if it's bringing up forum post the term is helldumping not doxing

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Where's the schadenfreude? He made a bunch of posts about overwatch? :confused:

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Every day when I turn on my PC to play the hit blizzard game Overwatch (2016), I self flagellate myself using techniques from faint memories of the one time I watched The Scarlet Letter in 10th grade to purge the sin and shame of playing a game for wee children in today's mature adult economy; this gives me the strength and reaction times needed to excel in the virtual battlefield and prevents me from being owned on the internet for having Care

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Please more free-BASE jumping videos.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Anyways here's a rally car driver losing control of their vehicle, and someone else's as well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3NExUcjwFw

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Control Volume posted:

Anyways here's a rally car driver losing control of their vehicle, and someone else's as well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3NExUcjwFw

That seems like a pretty bad place to park a car, honestly.

inkblot
Feb 22, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

Control Volume posted:

"Real jobs" don't exist anymore. The true schadenfreude is on the American worker. :ussr:

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

WOW! Watch these Americans try to get a manufacturing job in Detroit [FUNNY] [MUST SEE]

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Control Volume posted:

I mean, yes, that's very true, and I don't in any way wish to be seen as denigrating the efforts and the content that these people make, but I have always been a bit amused by people whining about the terms of usage for something like youtube.

It is a business. It is not owned by you. Use it or don't, but they don't owe anyone anything beyond what they've explicitly contracted. I hate unfettered capitalism as much as then next goon, but the fact that you can't just make videos of you in your bedroom talking about whatever and make money because of some policy of a particular website is just not something I'm going to lose much sleep over.

If there is actually a market for those things, someone will pay for them. It may not be google, and it may be their loss and it may be a blunder, but it's not unfair in any way.

Basically anyone who was banking on a specific website paying them for content is making as sound an investment as a leased uber car full of beanie babies and bitcoins

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb
Probably late, but the LA Times has been doing a writeup of an incident that occurred back in 2011 that's just wrapping up now

http://www.latimes.com/projects/la-me-framed/

The gist is somewhat simple: The head of an elementary school PTA has drugs planted in her car by a pair of high powered lawyers. The resulting clusterfuck sees both lawyers convicted and disbarred.

The final part of it comes out on Sunday, which I'm hoping has the results of the civil case in which their family is utterly cratered.

looking up the actual results, the PTA lady was awarded 5.6 million dollars, but the article is well written and worth a look.

Sestze has a new favorite as of 20:08 on Sep 2, 2016

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Trent posted:

I mean, yes, that's very true, and I don't in any way wish to be seen as denigrating the efforts and the content that these people make, but I have always been a bit amused by people whining about the terms of usage for something like youtube.

It is a business. It is not owned by you. Use it or don't, but they don't owe anyone anything beyond what they've explicitly contracted. I hate unfettered capitalism as much as then next goon, but the fact that you can't just make videos of you in your bedroom talking about whatever and make money because of some policy of a particular website is just not something I'm going to lose much sleep over.

If there is actually a market for those things, someone will pay for them. It may not be google, and it may be their loss and it may be a blunder, but it's not unfair in any way.

Basically anyone who was banking on a specific website paying them for content is making as sound an investment as a leased uber car full of beanie babies and bitcoins

You're right that it's a platform wholly owned by another company, but part of what makes that platform popular and why people continue to use it is that monetization allows people to put some of that money back into equipment or pay themselves so they can put more time into it, etc. which in turn leads to better produced videos (theoretically). The people who are hit the hardest by this are mostly the people who put the time into their videos since minecraftboy69 isn't paying himself a living wage off ads; a better comparison would be a large publisher firing a large amount of people for bizarre reasons in an at-will employment state, or an insurance company firing half its sales force, if you want to keep the business models somewhat similar.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Heck here's an even better comparison: imagine if Steam decided to stop selling games that included controversial topics or swearing. Bigger companies could (and would) go to the dozen other publishing platforms, but a bunch of independent developers who depend on the large visibility steam gives them would be hosed in the short term.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Control Volume posted:

Heck here's an even better comparison: imagine if Steam decided to stop selling games that included controversial topics or swearing. Bigger companies could (and would) go to the dozen other publishing platforms, but a bunch of independent developers who depend on the large visibility steam gives them would be hosed in the short term.

That's an awful analogy. The videos haven't been deleted.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

So it'd be more like if steam decided to go ahead and sell those games but then just keep all the money for themselves?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
So they're still running the ads on the 'bad' videos, just not giving the creators any ad revenue? Sounds like a cynical money grab more than anything else.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Garrand posted:

So it'd be more like if steam decided to go ahead and sell those games but then just keep all the money for themselves?

Not really. This continues to be an absolutely awful analogy.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Outrail posted:

So they're still running the ads on the 'bad' videos, just not giving the creators any ad revenue? Sounds like a cynical money grab more than anything else.

I don't know if it's intentional or just a bug. I have seen some of the videos people have said are demonitized and they are in fact still playing ads. Not certain what exactly is going on though.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Youtube can't keep their loving layout consistent for two weeks, you really expect them not to waffle on :qq:bad language:qq:?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Sestze posted:

Probably late, but the LA Times has been doing a writeup of an incident that occurred back in 2011 that's just wrapping up now

The gist is somewhat simple: The head of an elementary school PTA has drugs planted in her car by a pair of high powered lawyers. The resulting clusterfuck sees both lawyers convicted and disbarred.

The final part of it comes out on Sunday, which I'm hoping has the results of the civil case in which their family is utterly cratered.

looking up the actual results, the PTA lady was awarded 5.6 million dollars, but the article is well written and worth a look.

Jeez. that is a scary story.

Kudos to the switched-on cop.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
I'm already looking for the AnCap youtubers complaining about this and the irony of it all

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Andrast posted:

Not really. This continues to be an absolutely awful analogy.

Heres a good analogy for your understanding of how analogies work: poop in a toilet bowl, fucko

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Sestze posted:

Well that was a hell of a read.

All this because a six year old dawdled on the playground.

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy

Sestze posted:

That was a really good read, thanks for sharing. All this over a misunderstanding of a word. It was obvious what she meant. Those two have an incredibly dysfunctional relationship.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry
http://arstechnica.com/science/2016/09/fda-bans-antibacterial-soaps-no-scientific-evidence-theyre-safe-effective/

tl;dr: FDA bans the sale to consumers of soaps containing one or more of 19 antibacterial agents (e.g. triclosan and triclocarbon). Can't wait for the wails from germaphobes.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Sestze posted:

Holy gently caress, those people are just self-entitled scum.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

spog posted:

Jeez. that is a scary story.

Kudos to the switched-on cop.

Right? This was a cop who did his job, and did it well. It could have easily gone the other way and the lawyer bitch would have just written another book about the "perfect crime" while a PTA mom sat in jail.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Burning_Monk posted:

Right? This was a cop who did his job, and did it well. It could have easily gone the other way and the lawyer bitch would have just written another book about the "perfect crime" while a PTA mom sat in jail.

Yeah for real. I was agitated the whole read because as well as this went, there are a dozen stories where an innocent life is ruined. And even in this story that poor woman had years of suffering and is probably going to be on edge for the rest of her life.

Brute Hole Force
Dec 25, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Sestze posted:

Yeah that kid has to be retarded if this is the ultimate revenge scheme his parents came up with.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Sestze posted:

I could not get "Little Boxes" out of my head as I read this article. People who think they can sterilize the world until everything is safe scare the absolute poo poo out of me. Also way to use a big old bag-o-schwag to get her busted, that should have been a giveaway she was innocent. People her age don't smoke schwag.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

http://i.imgur.com/SQBbvQV.gifv

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Sestze posted:

That is a helluva an article. On one hand I'm glad justice was served. On the other....24 officers for a sting on a suburban housewifes marijuana charge? I mean, they should definitely get these obviously dangerous people away from the school, but uhhhh thats a lot of resources.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Sestze posted:

quote:

More than once, inmates asked him for legal advice. Some of them he liked. He had been an ardent Republican with little sympathy for lawbreakers, but now he pondered the colossal waste of time and talent exacted by the system.

lol

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

That's the radiator or windshield fluid going at the end there, right?

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

Transmogrifier posted:

That was a really good read, thanks for sharing. All this over a misunderstanding of a word. It was obvious what she meant. Those two have an incredibly dysfunctional relationship.

Their kid must be slow if that comment riled them up so much.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Outrail posted:

That's the radiator or windshield fluid going at the end there, right?

Windshield washer fluid I think yeah. It has a bluish tint and comes from where the reservoir would be in the engine compartment. Incredible display of power by the bull.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Gorson posted:

Windshield washer fluid I think yeah. It has a bluish tint and comes from where the reservoir would be in the engine compartment. Incredible display of power by the bull.
I'm just going to continue pretending that the car got scared and peed itself.