Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Square Enix mandated that DXMD include microtransactions two weeks before the game was to be sent for certification. This is the game equivalent of a film studio mandating a new subplot be included in a movie the day before it's sent to theatres.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)

e X posted:

New Loose Canon:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQB0vMwAUqI

Also, the next couple of videos are going to be executive decisions, which I assume means All Transformers, all the time.

Jennifer Lawrence was a pretty bad Mystique imo

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

DStecks posted:

Square Enix mandated that DXMD include microtransactions two weeks before the game was to be sent for certification. This is the game equivalent of a film studio mandating a new subplot be included in a movie the day before it's sent to theatres.

This gives me flashbacks to MGS:V pretty hard. Is Squeenix the new Konami now?

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

TheMaestroso posted:

No, Squeenix isn't converting it's business to Pachinko.

Anyway, New Feminist Frequency. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbqRtp5ZUGE

ALL THE SLENDER LADIES!
All The Slender Ladies!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

TheMaestroso posted:

Their Western offices seem to be trying for the title, aren't they?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Arcsquad12 posted:

Jim Sterling does some digging and finds some rather insane information on Square Enix's meddling with Mankind Divided.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVbj4GuuZTA

Seriously, 70 million dollars CAD? That's the least of the bizarre poo poo he's found out.

I hope these practices aren't related to FF15 being delayed, you know rebalancing the game for Crystal packs. I want my twink boy band road trip game to be good dammit :saddowns:

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

From what Jim says, it seems like the eastern and western divisions of Square Enix are basically separate companies.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

TheMaestroso posted:

No, it's just that video games are mainstream now, which means so are video game companies. And that's means they are non longer run by a bunch nerds who wanted to make their hobby their job, but by the same cutthroat assholes executives who run everything else, from Disney to ExxonMobil.

It's no coincidence that so many classic developers have been bought up by major studios over the last few years, it basically mirrors the development of the movie and TV Industrie. There are only a handfull of big players left, so everybody throws giant amounts of money on games to beat the giant amount of money their competitors throw at their projects. We are heading, or basically are already in a state were nothing short of a blockbuster can even break even, so you need to squeeze every last cent out if your player base to justify the development costs. And since the people in charge are just Standart corporates suits who don't actually know or understand what their product is, that means going with the same couple of strategies they actually do know.

So basically, Square Enix is nit the new Konamue, it's just that Konamue us the new standart.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

e X posted:

No, it's just that video games are mainstream now, which means so are video game companies. And that's means they are non longer run by a bunch nerds who wanted to make their hobby their job, but by the same cutthroat assholes executives who run everything else, from Disney to ExxonMobil.

It's no coincidence that so many classic developers have been bought up by major studios over the last few years, it basically mirrors the development of the movie and TV Industrie. There are only a handfull of big players left, so everybody throws giant amounts of money on games to beat the giant amount of money their competitors throw at their projects. We are heading, or basically are already in a state were nothing short of a blockbuster can even break even, so you need to squeeze every last cent out if your player base to justify the development costs. And since the people in charge are just Standart corporates suits who don't actually know or understand what their product is, that means going with the same couple of strategies they actually do know.

So basically, Square Enix is nit the new Konamue, it's just that Konamue us the new standart.

Not sure if drunk or phoneposting.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

TheMaestroso posted:

Not really. Squareenix seems incompetent while Konami seems to show active malice and hatred for its core products, fans and employees.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Game companies have been forcibly tacking on poo poo since the early 00's, if not the 90's. The lovely microtransaction store is the new mandatory multiplayer mode.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

TheMaestroso posted:

Not until they fire the original developers and announce Deus Ex: Lever Pulled.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Game companies have been forcibly tacking on poo poo since the early 00's, if not the 90's. The lovely microtransaction store is the new mandatory multiplayer mode.

Can't say I ever heard of a publisher trying to tack on a multiplayer mode two weeks before the game was supposed to be done.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.
I wasn't referring to the mere existence of micro-transactions, but the act of adding them to the game so close to launch. I've come to expect some amount of games to be designed with them in mind, but this is a bit shadier. That's what made me think of TPP, specifically.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Tracula posted:

Not really. Squareenix seems incompetent while Konami seems to show active malice and hatred for its core products, fans and employees.

:yeah:

If anything, I'd say the heir apparent to the Konami Crown is Nintendo now that Iwata's gone and they've basically been flailing about trying to put out the garbage fire that is the Wii U by... attacking people making fangames and Let's Plays on YouTube with both barrels.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

nine-gear crow posted:

:yeah:

If anything, I'd say the heir apparent to the Konami Crown is Nintendo now that Iwata's gone and they've basically been flailing about trying to put out the garbage fire that is the Wii U by... attacking people making fangames and Let's Plays on YouTube with both barrels.

The fan games thing is a grey area where they are technically right obviously but they do get pretty zealous going after them. One thing I'll give Valve credit for is that stuff like Black Mesa they're fully supportive of and, hell, even allow it to be sold on their platform. I'm sure they take a cut or have a deal with the developers but still. It would be amazing to see AM2R get a little cleanup from Nintendo and then a virtual console release but sadly we all know that'll never happen.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khgTtYhysJc

There's a new Wrestling with Wregret on the biggest clusterfuck in wrestling history, the Brawl for All.

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010

e X posted:

New Loose Canon:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQB0vMwAUqI

Also, the next couple of videos are going to be executive decisions, which I assume means All Transformers, all the time.

I wonder if she's got opinions on IDW's version of Arcee.

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004
You lost today, kid. But that doesn't mean you have to like it.

DStecks posted:

From what Jim says, it seems like the eastern and western divisions of Square Enix are basically separate companies.

So, no one at Square Enix has read Console Wars?

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.

Mokinokaro posted:

I still remember living up in Northwest Ontario where we had a strange landmark of an abandoned car off one of the highways. The body was from the '40s or 50s' and half sunken into the mud. Everything had been stripped from it including the doors and hood (except weirdly the headlights were still intact.) Really wish I still had pictures of it. Someone had treated the metal because it hardly had any rust.

Google Maps street view?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

lornekates posted:

Google Maps street view?

In Northwest Ontario? I know Google's got their cars out everywhere, but still.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Arcsquad12 posted:

In Northwest Ontario? I know Google's got their cars out everywhere, but still.

If Fort Frances has streetview, that place will.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

StealthArcher posted:

If Fort Frances has streetview, that place will.

Sadly the necessary highway (if I'm even remembering right, this was twenty years ago) isn't covered. The car was also not always visible in the brush.

I do remember this one from living in Sudbury though. All the kids knew about it.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

DStecks posted:

Can't say I ever heard of a reviewer dying his hair for a food fight review and spoiling it in the patreon profile picture.

(I realize it's probably got nothing to do with the review.)

(I want to see the food fight review, and I hope it comes out soonish.)

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Night Mind has a new video for Patrons that will be going public tonight. He asked us not to say what it is so I'll respect that.

This was the first video where I'm really getting the "he gets way into his theories" thing beyond minor nitpicks. The weird thing is, I actually kind of like his interpretation of the work, but some of the specific evidence is... specious at best. Also, the new one has bad to mediocre skits (of a type, more of an overarching narrative?) and I can only guess that that's why it took so long.

Look forward to him not only feeling the need to explain what a Euro is, but explaining it as "another type of currency used around the UK".

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Are you ready for the angriest No Man Sky review yet?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DhaUe6y-Co

I'm actually in the same boat, where I paid zero attention to the hype beyond a general 'huh, big space game, cool' stuff so I have zero investment in this whole 'WE WERE LIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIED TO' nonsense. This actually makes me want to play the game because this all sounds Extremely My poo poo

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

My "hype" went with a pal going "Hey this game is floating around is like Noctis but with better graphics", so when it came out I was pleased. Twas some performance matters that I heard but otherwise yeah, the angry response was somewhat messed up. (Even tho some folk I follow are honestly just replying to criticism over and over again with "Le pain of the Artiste" and "10 FUCKIN ENTITLED NERDS 20 GOTO 10")

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I'm actually in the same boat, where I paid zero attention to the hype beyond a general 'huh, big space game, cool' stuff so I have zero investment in this whole 'WE WERE LIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIED TO' nonsense. This actually makes me want to play the game because this all sounds Extremely My poo poo

This video is amazing and everyone should watch it (though you might want to turn down your volume a bit first).

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Nice tryout video for a role in the next Borderlands!
But yeah the situation with that game is ridiculous, can't believe so many people actually expected anything other than a meditative game about space wandering (or people just want to be outraged at the buyer behalf?). I fear for the gamer-heavy internet circles when Star Citizen comes out.
please support Hbomb's skull buying addiction

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

fatherboxx posted:

I fear for the gamer-heavy internet circles when Star Citizen comes out.

Fortunately that is never going to happen.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Um.

What did that skeleton do to you, guy!????

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

We just had a discussion with Jim's video about all the features that are not in the game and stuff the dev hyped way beyond his team's abilities and resources, I refuse to do the broken record player.

EDIT: SC is already a dumpster fire based on delusional fans' hopes and dreams strummed along by has beens, cheats, and general incompetence. Do not try to even attempt to defend these devs, they did this, they fostered and encouraged this. gently caress just go the SC thread if you want to see madness personified.

Annointed fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Sep 2, 2016

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I'm not too aware of the wider internettosphere's reaction to NMS (though I saw the Angry Joe review which was dumb and stopped going to the thread here), but most of the people I follow have been pretty reasonable about it. Most of them expected pretty much what they got, and had a really good honeymoon period with it, but had different end reactions. Shamus eventually turned on it and the straw that broke the camel's back was the Atlas quest breaking, and now he's annoyed by the prorder ship nonsense (I was actually the one that warned him about the hyperdrive bug), and next week he's making a complaint list. On the other hand, Campster likes it as a "Zen Game", though I did like "I'm not one of those rah rah 60 FPS 'where's the FOV slider' consumer rights guys."

Super Bunnyhop's had more of the traditional complaints, but he wasn't really mad.

Overall, I liked NMS and have no desire to return it, and I may revisit it whenever I need to zone out in space, but it'd seriously be a better game if they removed the concept of "fuel" and relegated all materials to crafting or selling for new ship/multitool money.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

NMS is still like -the most- inoffensive game I've ever seen the internet at large poo poo it's pants in fury over.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Tatum Girlparts posted:

This was loving magical. And please please never review another game like this. This is absolutely perfect and doing it again would tarnish it.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
Also someone needs to gif that skull smash. It will never not be useful whenever someone starts defending the alt right.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
that was fantastic, and I'm very happy you made that video, because it almost feels like the people that have that experience with the game are being beaten down and drowned out among the #LIEDTO crowd

the vastness of space has always done something kinda scary to my brain, every time I try to comprehend it I get a little freaked out, and I sometimes feel like that anxiety is strongly connected with my fear of death and mortality and stuff, so often I just shut that out and try not to think about it, but no man's sky practically forced me to and it, in a way, let me come to terms with it

I mean the game has problems and I do think the fact it's a little thin on stuff to do can be a bit of a drag at times, but it's a game with a lot to offer and it's nowhere near as bad as the angry game crowd would have you believe

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Weirdly, I think NMS would be better if there was less to do. Like, there's not much, but was is there is kind of constant and annoying. I would love if they had a patch where you could enable something like "creative mode" where you have no meters and can just explore forever without opening your inventory. I don't really need the game to reward me cash for finding adorable cthulhu blobs.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Great video Hbomb. Your the Bomb.

Between your video and Dan Olsen talking about it on Twitter I do want to try it out because it does sound like my poo poo. BUT If I do get it I gotta get the PC Version (I don't own a PS4) and I heard it's a mess, and It's 60 bucks and I can't really spend that kind of money on a game right now. MY big worry though is that a few of the critics I follow say its JUST another survival crafting game. At the end of the day, Minecraft doesn't really hold my attention.

I like the idea of a Space game where your not some ultra hero badass. Just some schmuck trying to survive and make a living. Yahtzee's review said NMS was a kiddie version of Elite: Dangerous. That's anothe rone of those games that I bought but never got around to playing. I tried learning to play it but uses Youtube videos to teach you how to play, and those don't tell you what keys do what. Just "Hit the key bind for thrust to move forward". The actual Tutorial missions all assume you stopped to watch the videos first. NEVER DESIGN YOUR TUTORIALS LIKE THIS!

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Sep 2, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und

Mokinokaro posted:

Sadly the necessary highway (if I'm even remembering right, this was twenty years ago) isn't covered. The car was also not always visible in the brush.

I do remember this one from living in Sudbury though. All the kids knew about it.

oh holy poo poo, when I was in Prince Edward County I went for a long walk on a snowmobile track through farmland and wooded areas (I may have been trespassing but I didn't quite understand the signs, only realised later that I technically probably had to be part of the snowmobile club to access the track.)
Anyway. So I'm walking through the woods and I round the corner and see this.
There was a little stack of firewood outside it. I then realised that nobody knew where I was. I took two photos and then walked away very fast, assuming that whatever the caravan was doing there, it probably couldn't be good.
But Canada's apparently just littered with random abandoned crap like that?

• Locked thread