Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

Jonny_Rocket posted:

I agree with you - multiple Captain Marvels would most likely confuse the hell out of the regular movie-going audience. It's bad enough that we've had at least three different actors playing Spider-Man at this point.

The point I was trying to make was that there's been multiple individuals with the Captain Marvel moniker, so Aphrodite saying that "Captain Marvel is female" is a false statement. If he had provided a sound argument like you did instead of saying "They're not making a movie about any of the others. Ever.", I wouldn't have gotten as annoyed as I did. His responses are super childish and it rubbed me the wrong way.

He said "Captain Marvel is a woman, you mean Shazam." There were other people named Captain Marvel that weren't women, but the only character in comics currently (to my knowledge, correct me if I'm wrong on this) called Captain Marvel is a woman. The character that was being discussed was once called Captain Marvel and is currently called Shazam. His statement was absolutely true and, in that calling the characters by their current names instead of old names makes it easier to tell who is being discussed, helpful. He'd be just as justified in correcting someone who was talking about Carol but saying Ms Marvel; that used to be her name, but she has a different name now and someone else is using the Ms Marvel moniker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Lurdiak posted:

I would hate to see what a Shazam movie in the style of the current DCCU would be like.

17-year old Billy Batson is fresh out of juvie and ready to get back to his rough and tumble street gang. During a gang war, he meets an old man that gives him the power of SHAZAM, transforming him into a version of himself with CGI muscles and does that ugly looking zoom thing they do in the DCEU when people go really fast at each other. Using his powers, Billy must fight the villainous Black Adam, who is now reimagined to be really wacky and quirky, with a peculiar interest in Care Bears. The movie ends after Billy punches Black Adam through the stomach, killing him.

The post-credits scene is Superman showing up and asking "We have a problem... BILLY!!!"

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
People care about Kree Captain Mar-Vell even less than they care about Agents of SHIELD.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Roth posted:

the villainous Black Adam, who is now reimagined to be really wacky and quirky, with a peculiar interest in Care Bears.

gently caress.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

irlZaphod posted:

Multiple Spider-Man actors wouldn't be so bad if they didn't keep doing the origin and Goblins. James Bond has had multiple actors and people don't get confused.

They've gone on the record that they're skipping the origin this time around.

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

"Inspiration, move me brightly"

Sefer posted:

He said "Captain Marvel is a woman, you mean Shazam." There were other people named Captain Marvel that weren't women, but the only character in comics currently (to my knowledge, correct me if I'm wrong on this) called Captain Marvel is a woman. The character that was being discussed was once called Captain Marvel and is currently called Shazam. His statement was absolutely true and, in that calling the characters by their current names instead of old names makes it easier to tell who is being discussed, helpful. He'd be just as justified in correcting someone who was talking about Carol but saying Ms Marvel; that used to be her name, but she has a different name now and someone else is using the Ms Marvel moniker.

https://imgur.com/a/z232q

She isn't the only one who had the name of Captain Marvel. It's been discussed to death at this point though, so let's just move on.

I'm psyched that Happy Hogan is returning in Spider-Man, as I didn't think we would see any more of him since the Iron Man movies are pretty much done at this point.

Yvonmukluk posted:

They've gone on the record that they're skipping the origin this time around.

Thankful this will be the case. Uncle Ben's death is almost as overdone as the death of Bruce Wayne's parents! At this point almost everyone knows the origin of Spider-Man, if they do anything at all it should be like how The Incredible Hulk handled it (in the beginning credits).

Jonny_Rocket fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Sep 2, 2016

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

They already made offhand mention of what happened with Uncle Ben anyway in Civil War, and that was the best way to handle it.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Also, the main villain seems to the Vulture instead of the Goblin.

I am also sick to death of the Goblin, but who knows how the Vulture will work out? He's not inherently amazing, but he's a total blank slate that they can change around without too many fans crying.

It would be pretty funny if they went with the original "youth stealing powers" version.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Sep 2, 2016

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I feel like they'd have to spice up The Vulture to make it interesting for a dude who already fought The Falcon while fighting several other superheroes at the same time.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
What if the Vulture was also his high school principal!

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Vulture has potential to be spiced up even just by incorporating things from the comics he's already done. His anti-grav tech can and has given him incredible (simulated) strength or allow him to levitate things, like if he planted his feet on top of a bus and the bus then becomes light as air for him to swoop away with. Basically look at The Wizard and steal all of those ideas anti-grav ideas since it's not likely an FF movie is going to be using that guy any time soon. Or have some kind of wind ability using his wings, which he already used in a very limited way back in Spider-Man's first Annual. The concept art makes it look as though he has propeller fans in his wings, which would help.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Also, the main villain seems to the Vulture instead of the Goblin.

I am also sick to death of the Goblin, but who knows how the Vulture will work out? He's not inherently amazing, but he's a total blank slate that they can change around without too many fans crying.

It would be pretty funny if they went with the original "youth stealing powers" version.
He didn't originally have youth stealing powers, that was something they did later.

Vulture's not too exciting but he is a classic villain at least. As long as Homecoming isn't a mess like ASM2 was, I'm down.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I hope that he has a pet one of these that perches on his shoulder while he monologues evilly:
https://www.google.com/search?q=bearded+vulture&tbm=isch

Super Dan
Jan 26, 2006

greatn posted:

What if the Vulture was also his high school principal!

Nope, that's Kenneth Choi

http://www.newsarama.com/29681-report-spider-man-homecoming-finds-its-high-school-principal-in-captain-america-s-howling-commandos.html

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I hope Homecoming is a really low stakes movie about Peter just trying to get to dance with MJ at the homecoming dance and between songs he keeps having to disappear to fight d-list villains to keep them from crashing the dance. Eventually he messes up and MJ finds out his secret identity but she's into it like in Ultimate Spider-Man. I don't want New York or God forbid, the entire world to be in danger. I just want to watch a teen comedy/romance with frequent superhero fights.

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

Travis343 posted:

I hope Homecoming is a really low stakes movie about Peter just trying to get to dance with MJ at the homecoming dance and between songs he keeps having to disappear to fight d-list villains to keep them from crashing the dance. Eventually he messes up and MJ finds out his secret identity but she's into it like in Ultimate Spider-Man. I don't want New York or God forbid, the entire world to be in danger. I just want to watch a teen comedy/romance with frequent superhero fights.

Absolutely agree. If there's another one of those "end of the world" scenarios with a blue light beam in the sky, I'm just going to be like:

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.
Aren't they trying to make a John Hughes movie? I wouldn't worry too much.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

mikeraskol posted:

Aren't they trying to make a John Hughes movie? I wouldn't worry too much.

Just like Winter Soldier was a 70s political spy thriller.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

MacheteZombie posted:

Just like Winter Soldier was a 70s political spy thriller.

I still have no idea why people get so bent out of shape about that.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

CineD and some people in BSS are the only places I see people really upset about that comment.

I think some people have an issue distinguishing between "Aping themes and style inspiration from a genre" and "this action movie from 2014 was only minimally political and not released in the 1970's at all!"

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I wonder if anyone got mad at Nicholas Winding Refn for saying that Drive was a crypto-remake of Sixteen Candles

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

I think some people have an issue distinguishing between "Aping themes and style inspiration from a genre" and "this action movie from 2014 was only minimally political and not released in the 1970's at all!"

Pretty much.

I love the movie, but there's no doubt that the final product is a watered down version of a :airquote:political thriller:airquote:, if you could even call it that. It evoked some of the style, but had virtually nothing in regards to substance. Maybe people are triggered because Robert Redford (who has been in a bunch of political thrillers) was in the film and they were expecting more.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

I hope the Shocker role in the movie is solely as a bond style opening across all three films as a total jobber like in USM. Maybe even have him succeed in catching Peter in the third like that one USM issue

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I can't believe I have to say this, but Bond openings have something to do with the main plot and aren't throwaway action scenes.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

Jonny_Rocket posted:

https://imgur.com/a/z232q

She isn't the only one who had the name of Captain Marvel. It's been discussed to death at this point though, so let's just move on.

Man, I specifically said that there had been past Captain Marvels, so I don't know why you think I didn't know about that one. Tense matters. There are others that had the name, but there's only one that has the name, and he was speaking in the present tense.

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

Sefer posted:

Man, I specifically said that there had been past Captain Marvels, so I don't know why you think I didn't know about that one. Tense matters. There are others that had the name, but there's only one that has the name, and he was speaking in the present tense.

Fair enough. My apologies - I wasn't up to my morning coffee quota, so I misread. I don't think Aphrodite was speaking in present tense, but whatever. Let's move on.

Jonny_Rocket fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Sep 2, 2016

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Discussion like this is why I come to BSS. Literally everyone I've ever talked to considers WS to be far and away the best of the MCU. Possibly even the GOAT superhero film. Now I know there are people who who found something to hate about it.

Travis343 posted:

I'm down for that. I would really love to see Spider-Man maintain a secret identity for one movie, just for the novelty, but I guess I could let it go.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

SonicRulez posted:

Discussion like this is why I come to BSS. Literally everyone I've ever talked to considers WS to be far and away the best of the MCU. Possibly even the GOAT superhero film. Now I know there are people who who found something to hate about it.

I'm down for that. I would really love to see Spider-Man maintain a secret identity for one movie, just for the novelty, but I guess I could let it go.

In the first Raimi Spider-Man he does technically maintain his secret identity from everyone except Norman.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Yeah it's only the second one where he can't keep his mask on for 2 goddamn seconds.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

MJ had a little suspicious look at the end there but she doesn't really find out until the end of 2.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Travis343 posted:

MJ had a little suspicious look at the end there but she doesn't really find out until the end of 2.

Didn't Aunt May in SM2 heavily hint that she knew as well?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

I'm honestly just impressed that Peter didn't accidently drop a bunch of business cards at every major newspaper in the city with "PETER PARKER AKA SPIDER-MAN (YES, THAT ONE)" on it.

The villains are somehow the only people in the Raimi Spider-Man movies with functioning eyes or the most minimal amount of logic.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
It's been like a decade since I've watched it but i thought mj figures out who he is in 1 because they kiss

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

site posted:

It's been like a decade since I've watched it but i thought mj figures out who he is in 1 because they kiss

She technically doesn't because she gushes about Spider-Man as a separate person in 2 and gives Peter poo poo about things that wouldn't make sense if she knew.

But then she also is basically like "I always knew!" at the end of 2, so who knows! Maybe she is just a jerk and wanted to give Peter anxiety?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

She technically doesn't because she gushes about Spider-Man as a separate person in 2 and gives Peter poo poo about things that wouldn't make sense if she knew.

But then she also is basically like "I always knew!" at the end of 2, so who knows! Maybe she is just a jerk and wanted to give Peter anxiety?

"Somehow I always knew" is such a cop-out. Either you know or you don't, rear end in a top hat! I always hated that kinda thing where they do a zoom on the love interest and it looks like she might know but keeps acting like she doesn't. Smallville did that for like 6 seasons.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

site posted:

Don't they imply in the second one that she suspects John Jameson is Spider-Man and only realises that he isn't when she re-enacts the upside-down kiss?

Lurdiak posted:

"Somehow I always knew" is such a cop-out. Either you know or you don't, rear end in a top hat! I always hated that kinda thing where they do a zoom on the love interest and it looks like she might know but keeps acting like she doesn't. Smallville did that for like 6 seasons.

Better or worse than Joseph Gordon-Levitt knowing that Bruce Wayne was Batman because he could see it in his eyes when he was a kid?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Wheat Loaf posted:

Better or worse than Joseph Gordon-Levitt knowing that Bruce Wayne was Batman because he could see it in his eyes when he was a kid?

I have no problem with that. Sometimes you can recognize someone just by a turn of phrase or actions that reflect their personal philosophy. Sure it's a little over the top in its Nolan-ness but I don't know why people had such a problem with it.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Batman philosophy was growling, incidentally.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

eh, it makes sense in the same way people after a disaster always say "I had a bad feeling that day." people read things into other things retroactively.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

notthegoatseguy posted:

Didn't Aunt May in SM2 heavily hint that she knew as well?
Yeah she knows.

• Locked thread