Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION

runupon cracker posted:

so easy that obesity isn't even really an issue

oh, except in the real world where two thirds of the US population is overweight

Your whole point seems to rest on the theory that if something is pervasive, it must be unavoidable or at least very difficult to avoid. I don't know why you think that but it's not true. Some things are pervasive because western society is indulgent and highly focused on immediate gratification and watching what you eat over a long period of time before you see a real payoff is just too much work for some people. Other people don't mind working hard for their goals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

Reading this with the voice in your skull.
Instead of trying to lose weight, just try to gain muscle. Try to become as monstrous as humanly possible. Sure, your heart might still give out, but at least the heart attack will happen when you're deadlifting 600lbs instead of when you're taking a poo poo.

Also, no soda. gently caress soda.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION

HoboTech posted:

Also, no soda. gently caress soda.

word.

this is the main thing fatties get wrong. "Oh one chocolate bar won't hurt" "Oh one glass of Coke won't hurt" 99% of weight loss is just completely and fully honest with yourself wrt how many calories you consumed today

sledger
Oct 22, 2010
Eat until you are satisfied (painfully full if that's what you prefer) anything under 700 calories per pound and you'll never be overweight.

No hunger, exercise, or even abstaining from eating all junk is required as long as you keep that number low.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

sledger posted:

Eat until you are satisfied (painfully full if that's what you prefer) anything under 700 calories per pound and you'll never be overweight.

No hunger, exercise, or even abstaining from eating all junk is required as long as you keep that number low.

Yeah the whole concept of calorie density (as opposed to just raw calorie content) was a game changer for me

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
Lol at 100% restriction diets. Haha no, you're not going to sell a plan to people that involves "never do this thing again ever." That will have the same success rate as alcoholics getting permanently sober regardless of method; low.

Jesus, have a piece of cake once a month if you like cake. Don't pair it with two scoops of ice cream and don't have a giant piece that's actually three pieces if not more and we all know it, Susan.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

Pvt.Scott posted:

Lol at 100% restriction diets. Haha no, you're not going to sell a plan to people that involves "never do this thing again ever." That will have the same success rate as alcoholics getting permanently sober regardless of method; low.

Jesus, have a piece of cake once a month if you like cake. Don't pair it with two scoops of ice cream and don't have a giant piece that's actually three pieces if not more and we all know it, Susan.

*knows knowingly*

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

I work with someone who is like 400lbs. I can hear them breath from across the office. The only things I see them eat are those breakfast sandwiches from Dunkin Donuts and candy.

Recently they've been having knee and ankle trouble and had to go to the doctors. When they came back they made some comment like "...and everyone wants to blame everything on fat people!" and I immediately knew how the doctor's visit went.

Ironically, they've already had the gastric bypass surgery.

Surmise from all of this what you will.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
There was a 250 lbs lady at my previous job who was always complaining about her mysterious leg and back pain and I was like :smith:

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

I'm a moron and I probably don't have one iota more of willpower than a lard person. Lard person, if you are reading this, forget about that willpower bullshit. Buy sugar free soda, walk more, include more protein in your diet, prepare your own food, go shopping when you are in a good mood and don't buy crap(what you don't take home from the shop, you can't eat)

That willpower bullshit has been debunked by neuroscience a long time ago. Your brain does what it does, the trick is not to fight it but to manipulate it into doing your bidding. People who pretend like they have willpower simply created and environment for themselves where they never have to use it, that's the whole trick.

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

unpacked robinhood posted:

There was a 250 lbs lady at my previous job who was always complaining about her mysterious leg and back pain and I was like :smith:

The :smith: face sums it up perfectly. I would loving love to help this guy (got my PT certification recently), but a) it's not my place to say "hey you need to lose some weight" and b) I've dropped hints and suggestions about things like powerlifting before and he has no interest in even that (where appearance doesn't matter).

Leading a horse to water, and all that.

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Excalibur? More like "Needle"

Grimey Drawer

The Wizard of Poz posted:

Your whole point seems to rest on the theory that if something is pervasive, it must be unavoidable or at least very difficult to avoid. I don't know why you think that but it's not true. Some things are pervasive because western society is indulgent and highly focused on immediate gratification and watching what you eat over a long period of time before you see a real payoff is just too much work for some people. Other people don't mind working hard for their goals.

"working hard" you say

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer

The Wizard of Poz posted:

Yeah the whole concept of calorie density (as opposed to just raw calorie content) was a game changer for me

Same here. The best part of that chart is that potatoes are part of "all you can eat", despite the near-constant demonization potatoes get.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

quote:

... more of them are getting sick with the diseases that usually kill older people [attributable to the leading causes of death—things like heart disease, diabetes, and respiratory disease]. And when they do get sick, they don’t get better.

This trend was especially concentrated in the South, they found

lol

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

runupon cracker posted:

Same here. The best part of that chart is that potatoes are part of "all you can eat", despite the near-constant demonization potatoes get.

Sweet potatoes baller as gently caress.

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

runupon cracker posted:

"working hard" you say

Man, what the gently caress. Not killing yourself through gluttony is doing the bare loving minimum in life; fit people don't get a medal or expect one - it is just doing the necessary. If that is too much like hard hard work then I guess die?

Aw, it's hard to die slowly too. A Bloo Bloo Bloo.

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
Twice a day I stuff as much white rice into my belly as humanly possible and I've lost over 40 lbs

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

8 track betamax posted:

Twice a day I stuff as much white rice into my belly as humanly possible and I've lost over 40 lbs

Switch to bacon so you can bulk, my man

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Honestly being willing to suffer and have mental discipline is more important than any particular diet and exercise.

They key is to go without. Go without rest, go without satisfying cravings, go without the comfort you are used to.

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer

Frosted Flake posted:

Honestly being willing to suffer and have mental discipline is more important than any particular diet and exercise.

They key is to go without. Go without rest, go without satisfying cravings, go without the comfort you are used to.

Says the man with over 900 posts in the wolrd of war craft forum

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
don't post stalk its rude

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

8 track betamax posted:

Says the man with over 900 posts in the wolrd of war craft forum

GiP?

gingrich
May 26, 2007

i'm the osiris of this shit
is this the new fat is beautiful thread?

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer

gingrich posted:

is this the new fat is beautiful thread?

yes

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Being fat is generic

gingrich
May 26, 2007

ah good i can shitpost in here then

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
if fat people spent as much energy working out as they do blaming other people and not taking responsibility they would be olympic level athletes in no time

gingrich
May 26, 2007

>when the desks are too small

http://webm.land/media/mLmK.webm

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
also start counting calories and overestimate by 5-10% the amount in food, and underestimate by 5-10% the amount you burn.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
If you are completely sedentary I can see you eating like a normal human being and still gaining fat

but most likely fatties are just eating stupid. Like alot of pasta and rice and bread and soda and alcohol and sauces and fried poo poo or whatever. I'm not even gonna get into sweets

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

Poetic Justice posted:

also start counting calories and overestimate by 5-10% the amount in food, and underestimate by 5-10% the amount you burn.

This is a good idea, particularly to avoid..

The New England Journal of Medicine posted:

.. underreported their actual food intake by an average of 47% (+/- 16) and overreported their physical activity by 51% (+/- 75).

Ah ha ha, I'm the person that overreported their activity by 126%. Amazing.

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
Doesn't seem too unreasonable... just said they were active one quarter of an hour more than actual

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
Barely a 30 minute difference

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

I've been having to force myself to eat more so I can gain weight and get swole and it's actually really hard, I have no idea how fatties can eat like twice as much as me every day.
My mom is fat too so clearly I have the privileged weight gain genetics.

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk

LordArgh posted:

bullshit. the information has never been easier to find than now, what with the internet and all. people just aren't willing to do what it takes to actually accomplish weight loss/fitness and instead walk on a threadmill for 10 minutes and then reward themselves by eating more burgers because that takes the least amount of discomfort and they can still tell people they "excercise"

The internet is a cesspool unless you have good sources or have a solid baseline of knowledge to detect bullshit.

Lichy posted:

corporations don't necessarily understand your body at all

most big food corps nowadays got that way by stumbling onto a good recipe by accident and it just happened that people bought their poo poo and so they got big, e.g. Ben&Jerries

it's entirely logical that a person would eat food when it is available to him IMO

this is why governments must employ experts who understand the human body to regulate the behaviour of producers and consumers. and they do with some success

We're talking about billion dollar corporations, and you think the food they make is all accidental?

Michael Moss posted:

Over the last forty years, more than three hundred physiologists, chemists, neuroscientists, biologists, and geneticists have cycled through Monell to help decipher the mechanisms of taste and smell along with the complex psychology that underlies our love for food.

The stickiest subject at Monell, however, is not sugar. It’s money. Taxpayers fund about half of the center’s $17.5 million annual budget through federal grants, but much of the rest of its operation comes from the food industry, including the big manufacturers, as well as several tobacco companies. A large golden plaque in the lobby pays homage to PepsiCo, Coca-Cola, Kraft, Nestlé, Philip Morris, among others. It’s an odd arrangement, for sure, one that evokes past efforts by the tobacco industry to buy “research” that put cigarettes in a favorable light. At Monell, the industry funding buys companies a privileged access to the center and its labs. They get exclusive first looks at the center’s research, often as early as three years before the information goes public, and are also able to engage some of Monell’s scientists to conduct special studies for their particular needs.

KVeezy3 fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Sep 2, 2016

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

KVeezy3 posted:

The internet is a cesspool unless you have good sources or have a solid baseline of knowledge to detect bullshit.

We're talking about billion dollar corporations, and you think the food they make is all accidental?

forty years is not a lot of time in biological science and thus yes, most big corporations right now did not get there through knowing how bodies work super well

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
also lol if you think food scientists at Monell withhold their research from publication because evil Big Food bribes them into it

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Lichy posted:

forty years is not a lot of time in biological science and thus yes, most big corporations right now did not get there through knowing how bodies work super well

sooooo an industry that's spent 40 years and millions of dollars in food engineering know very little about the body and made the population literally balloon into comedic levels of obesity totally by accident, but some poor schlub at home with $3 in his bank account and a GED can master weight loss "easily"

the mental gymnastics are breathtaking

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Britt Burns
Nov 24, 2007
Biscuit Hider
A huge part of the obesity problem is co-morbid mental illness, particularly depression. As you've all said, there's quite a difference (behaviorally speaking) between being 20 pounds overweight and 200 pounds overweight - it takes a peculiar pattern of thoughts and actions to get so incredibly overweight. I think that these people need to address and improve their mental state before expecting lasting weight loss (because willpower will get them through initial losses, but the mental impairments will often set them back to square one).

Pvt.Scott posted:

I believe it was Crassus of Lipidelphi who reasoned that mischievous house-gods were to blame for corpulence. They snuck small pieces of the flesh of the hydra into the stews of the afflicted. The constant digestion of this ever-renewing flesh both over-nourished the victim and caused an imbalance of humours, accounting for their severe lassitude.

I love you, this is awesome.

• Locked thread