Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
memba this
This poll is closed.
goku 130 46.43%
goku 150 53.57%
Total: 190 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Yes, this tiny thing that barely happens is absolutely the best reason for not making it exceptionally hard to counterfeit your money, save costs, make it easier to tell your notes apart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

lol so angry

I think Braille would solve the blind guy problem while not causing any new ones

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

radiatinglines posted:

imagine there's a stack of what appears to be all large sized bills on the table. You pick it up and tap it against your hand to even the bills out, and a smaller bill from somewhere in between them falls out. If you don't notice it you're out money

They're like millimeters longer and wider, they're not little tiny squares mixed with giant rectangles:

Also, Canada and the US are basically the only major countries that have uniformly-sized currency, and Canada at least has the bumps.

Mr. 47
Jul 8, 2008

Well, I guess I'll just go fuck myself, then.

drunk asian neighbor posted:

They're like millimeters longer and wider, they're not little tiny squares mixed with giant rectangles:

Also, Canada and the US are basically the only major countries that have uniformly-sized currency, and Canada at least has the bumps.

I don't recall spending any of your Commie-Dollars to get to the moon.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

hey look they're only longer lengthwise, probably to prevent the exact problem I was talking about

maybe 504 should have just said that instead of getting super mad and claiming the problem these bills were designed to avoid isn't a big deal

dookifex_maximus
Aug 10, 2016

by zen death robot

je1 healthcare posted:

Reminder that meme magic is real. If you shitpost hard enough you can bend reality itself to your whim

AKA Cultural Materialism from the Marxist school of thought: "philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it."

I get so loving pissed when society thinks it's invented something when the fact is that study of the "novel" thing has been culturally suppressed until it can no longer be ignored by society at large. But what do I know, Marx was a socialest lier

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

radiatinglines posted:

hey look they're only longer lengthwise, probably to prevent the exact problem I was talking about

maybe 504 should have just said that instead of getting super mad and claiming the problem these bills were designed to avoid isn't a big deal

your reading comprehension is not so great, huh

Shin00bie
Sep 11, 2011

Jose posted:

he was a big ally of nelson mandela and now he's corrupt as gently caress lol

Not as corrupt as if he'd become FIFA chairman....

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich

radiatinglines posted:

Nobody is "super mad"

Everybody is pointing out all your reasons for not changing break down too "Nuh uh! we always had these and we are not gonna change just 'cause everyone else is doing it and knows its better"

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
Pound notes are different sizes and we avoid them all spilling out by not being dyspraxic

dookifex_maximus
Aug 10, 2016

by zen death robot

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Mr. 47 posted:

I don't recall spending any of your Commie-Dollars to get to the moon.

I am a proud American and therefore am upholding the proud American tradition of complaining about incredibly meaningless things, like the size and color of my money

OfficialGBSCaliph posted:

Pound notes are different sizes and we avoid them all spilling out by not being dyspraxic

Canada and the US are the only 1st-world countries that don't have different-sized money

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009
Nice knelt down

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I will admit to being a bit confused when it had to be explained to me that the teeny-tine banknote with "1" on it was actually 1/10th of a Yuan and not 1 Yuan

seriously though, they're adorably miniscule:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
hyperinflation in zimbabwe got so bad they made this

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Jose posted:

I'm the security image of a cow

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

this is another hyperinflation bill lol

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

I'm the deformed golden phallus beneath it.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Looks like Boris the Blade got into politics

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

504 posted:

Nobody is "super mad"

Everybody is pointing out all your reasons for not changing break down too "Nuh uh! we always had these and we are not gonna change just 'cause everyone else is doing it and knows its better"

Lol what? I only had one reason, and it was that it's harder to see a small note between two big ones. You have an attitude problem

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Compared to Zimbabwean currency a cow would have been an incredibly stable holder of value though, it's usage there is probably an insult to cattle

dookifex_maximus
Aug 10, 2016

by zen death robot

Jose posted:

this is another hyperinflation bill lol

that site doesn't like hotlinking

for reference the value of the two bills can be notated respectively $10^14 & $5*10^20 that second note makes a billion dollar bill almost look like a sane unit of currency

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich

radiatinglines posted:

Lol what? I only had one reason, and it was that it's harder to see a small note between two big ones. You have an attitude problem

Its really weird how you keep moving the goalposts.

You sound like the stupid old man, 5 years past retirement, working in an office that refuses to lean "the computer" because he has always done the accounts by hand,

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

This reminds me, speaking of phasing out smaller bills like the $1, that there is serious consideration being given to eliminate large denomination bills because the existence of those big bills makes it way too easy to smuggle and use for terrorism purposes (the 500 Euro note is actually nicknamed "the Bin Laden" because terrorist funding is where it often comes up), and basically every large legal transaction is done electronically now. $1 million USD in 500 Euro notes would fit in a small briefcase or duffel bag no problem, whereas if the $20 was the largest denomination you're looking at close to 200 pounds.

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

SHUUUUUUUUUTT UUUUUUUP GOOOOOOOOOOOOONNS

jesus christ

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Jose posted:

There's a unique mental condition which afflicts people who lived through hyperinflation and basically have a mental break over the onslaught of zeros and how what numbers meant basically changed by the minute, especially if you were an accountant or someone else who dealt with money as their job.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zero_stroke

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

504 posted:

Its really weird how you keep moving the goalposts.

You sound like the stupid old man, 5 years past retirement, working in an office that refuses to lean "the computer" because he has always done the accounts by hand,

You realize I'm not the same guy I quoted right? We were talking about the concept of different sized bills, and I said it's harder to see a small bill between two big ones in a wallet or a stack. Where do you you think I moved the goalposts from?

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

Jose posted:

Other than the slapfight over commie money or whatever is happening here, didn't a bunch of people stock up on these expecting a huge return?

the last time I saw this mentioned I seem to remember there were people flying to Zimbabwe for bulk bills and arguing online about how they had dropped thousands / tens of thousands into this money because it was "guaranteed to be worth more" after a bankruptcy or something.

Shin00bie
Sep 11, 2011

Skeleton Ape posted:

SHUUUUUUUUUTT UUUUUUUP GOOOOOOOOOOOOONNS

jesus christ

dookifex_maximus
Aug 10, 2016

by zen death robot
here's something for people who think things have changed much in the past 2000 years: Gladiator School

the article posted:

...investigation into private prison company Corrections Corporation of America which ran... [the prison] inmates called "Gladiator School" because of a violent reputation they say understaffing helped create.

dookifex_maximus has a new favorite as of 20:53 on Sep 2, 2016

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

Theophany posted:

I'm the deformed golden phallus beneath it.

that's a bird

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Fat Shat Sings posted:

Other than the slapfight over commie money or whatever is happening here, didn't a bunch of people stock up on these expecting a huge return?

the last time I saw this mentioned I seem to remember there were people flying to Zimbabwe for bulk bills and arguing online about how they had dropped thousands / tens of thousands into this money because it was "guaranteed to be worth more" after a bankruptcy or something.

Yes, and IIRC there are people that to this day are crusading against the current government of Zimbabwe for their compensation

Most of these people were rich dumb Americans if you can believe it

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich

radiatinglines posted:

You realize I'm not the same guy I quoted right? We were talking about the concept of different sized bills, and I said it's harder to see a small bill between two big ones in a wallet or a stack. Where do you you think I moved the goalposts from?

Don't get technically with me!

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I remember reading an article specifically about an American couple that's on an endless quest to get their shed full of Zimbabwe notes converted back to USD based on the pre-inflation exchange rate. I wish I could find it because it is both informative and absolutely hilarious, the level of entitlement on the part of the couple is incredible

e: Holy poo poo they're still really bad-off, to the point where their current currency is literally their own printed bond note version of US Dollars, backed by a $200M foreing aid package:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3575036/Zimbabweans-queue-banks-US-bond-notes-planned.html

Snow Cone Capone has a new favorite as of 21:05 on Sep 2, 2016

Buckets
Apr 10, 2009

...THE CHILD...

I'm the Rock Band font

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

it is very obviously an erect penis sunning itself on a rock

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I remember reading an article specifically about an American couple that's on an endless quest to get their shed full of Zimbabwe notes converted back to USD based on the pre-inflation exchange rate. I wish I could find it because it is both informative and absolutely hilarious, the level of entitlement on the part of the couple is incredible

e: Holy poo poo they're still really bad-off, to the point where their current currency is literally their own printed bond note version of US Dollars, backed by a $200M foreing aid package:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3575036/Zimbabweans-queue-banks-US-bond-notes-planned.html

i thought you meant the couple when clicking that link

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

Mods: rename thread Monetary Misanthropes thank you.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

univbee posted:

(the 500 Euro note is actually nicknamed "the Bin Laden" because terrorist funding is where it often comes up)

I think it was called that cause everyone knew about them but nobody knew where they were? I mean this was in the early 2000s.

But yeah they're pretty much only used for illegal poo poo. The ECB stopped printing them recently because of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Dapper_Swindler posted:

didnt some some rapper and or ucc (pitbull maybe idk) beat their gf almost to death?

http://funnyjunk.com/channel/gameofthrones/Man+beats+wife+and+turns+her+into+arya/yLxDLlY/
also this one makes me laugh in depressing way.

ohmygod hahahah

• Locked thread