Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.

: All units in position.
: Stay on standby. Keep an eye on your surroundings everyone.
: … Why do you pilot an EVA, Ayanami?
: Because I’ve a bond.
: Bond?
: Yes, I’m bonded.
: To my father…?
: To everyone.
: You’re so strong…
: Because I have nothing else.
: What do you mean?
: That I have been born solely to pilot an EVA. If I ever stopped, it’d be the same as dying.
: That might also apply to me, before coming to NERV. My mom died, my dad abandoned me… and I didn’t really care about anything, one way or the other…
: I just lived on in apathy… Or, even, maybe I was just pretending to live…
: But you are alive.
: Hm?
: And no matter what the present is, you were born into this world because someone wanted you. I might actually be a bit jealous.
: You’re jealous…?
: (I’ve never heard her talk like that…)
: It’s almost time.
: Right.
: Goodbye.
: (Huh…?)

The clock ticks down to zero and it’s time to charge Shinji’s rifle and the Dendoh with all the remaining energy in Japan. Misato proclaims the start of Operation Yashima and Eris sends the signal to the bikers to start pedaling. Danbei takes it upon himself to set the rhythm and off they go.
In comes the energy and Eris, along with NERV’s crew, report no problems on the positron rifle’s charging. The Dendoh’s energy gauge is also slowly rising. Touji and Danbei are prodding Kensuke to pedal harder if he wants to stay alive – stomp on ‘em like he’s walking around his home!
Kensuke cries that he’ll break the pedals if he does that but Touji tells him: less grumblin’, more pedalin’! Hikari pokes him to put his back into it as well and Touji’s more than willing to show all his gumption.

Midori and Otome are watching him go and she’s quite impressed – they need to follow his example! The Chips have no idea what’s going on but, screw it, they’ll just keep on pedaling like everyone else.
Eris reports to Misato that the Dendoh’s charge is going well and it should be back online in four minutes – now we just have to pray no problems arise.

And problems arise, as Torres detects a mob of aliens coming over – it’s the Gyandolar with some Gulfer mooks. Devil Saturn sees that we’re in the middle of something and that’s perfect for Deondra: they can capture the Dendoh and destroy everyone else in one fell swoop.
She also wants the Data Weapon that’s prowling around here, so they need to wrap this up before Altair comes over. While we were expecting enemies to attack, Misato is still appalled by their awful timing and, inwardly, Duke recognizes the Gyandolar forces.
More importantly, Eris picks up something on her sensors: a very high energy reading coming from within a spiky-ball thing with the aliens – about the same quantity as what they’re sending into the positron rifle, Ritsuko adds!

Looks like we found what’s been sucking up all the electricity and Ritsuko posits that, if we destroy it, power will come back shortly. “Understood! We cannot let all those people’s efforts…” Misato starts; “And their wishes to be for naught! Captain Bright!” and Vega finishes.
Bright sends everyone forward to destroy the enemy and, above all, they need to keep them away from the EVA-01 and Dendoh.
Deondra also sends her mooks onto us. "GADESSIR", they proclaim!

Mission Objective: Destroy all enemies, except the 5th Angel, Ramiel
Mission Failure: Dendoh or EVA-01 are attacked or the Nahel Argama is sunk

No problem at all as I don’t even think the enemy AI is smart enough to go after our immobile units. But, just to be on the safe side, have your guys take the fight to them.
Devil Saturn is the same as before but he’s brought his mistress along this time:

Deondra
Pilot Skills:
  • Unyielding Spirit
  • Support Attack L1
Deondra’s Voice Actress: Hiroko Takahashi (other known works: Yuuta in Mechander Robo, Joanna in Urashiman and a handful more)

Deondra’s got some decent stats, making for an average midboss. What she doesn’t have however is defenses or survivability – 19k is nothing for the stuff we’re packing. If she had Prevail she might’ve been a bigger problem but, without, she’s a glass cannon… and her best attack is point blank range.
She can hurt your reals but that’s only if you screw up and let her hit them in the first place.

The Gyandolar a bit far away, so everyone starts moving.

Enemy Phase!

The Gyandolar are letting the Gulfer soften us up first.

Player Phase!

Let’s get to work and Hugo sees a nice double attack opportunity.

Only his weakest attack gets to do that but it doesn’t matter – these base Gulfer are made of paper maché.

That doesn’t mean the Gyandolar get a free pass, though, and Light leads the charge to get his EWAC prepped for everyone. Tap finishes the job.

Next!

Still keeping the ZZ kids leveled up.

Hayato and Kaine, Kouji and Michiru clear out more Gyandolar.

Domon doesn’t need anyone’s help, though.

Everything dies in myriad critical hits.

All other units are still closing in.

Enemy Phase!

Oh, this Zarios wants to be a big man.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2SEPmNFg2s
It has roller skates!

The other mooks all attack and are summarily weakened (or I dodge to spread the exp around).

Player Phase!

Beecha fails me, so it falls on Iino to clean up his mess.

Alright, maybe with some teamwork.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrGYjyHNENg
And it dances, too!

Michiru takes out the last mook, leaving the way open to engage the midbosses. The Fenomena is just defending, so we’ll open with Deondra and Saturn.

: I’ve heard the reports but to actually find the Grendizer in this planet… What a surprise.
: What are you after, Gyandolar?! Why did you come to Earth?!
: Straight to the point, eh, prince? Good on you.
: But you should know that sticking your nose where it doesn’t belong will get you killed!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFydm0NT6Tc
And here’s the Spazer’s strongest attack.

Do some damage to Deondra or Saturn and the plot kicks in.

*NERV Alarm!*

: We’re detecting an object descending on top of us at ultra-high speed! IDed as a lone Gulfer unit!
: Is it that black Dendoh from yesterday?!

: Knight Ogre…!
Urk…! Why now?!
: Th-The hell’s that thing?!
: M-Mommy!
: Stay close to me, Otome! It’ll be alright!
: Hmhmhm… The Leo Circle will all but surely be drawn to this massive energy reaction.
: Och! ‘E’s tryin’ tae ride oan oor coattails, ‘e is!
: Rrgh, bastard…!
: Huh?! An electrical discharge in Neo-Tokyo 3?! I-It’s—!

: …
: Th-The Leo Circle!
: There you are. And with the Dendoh in that sorry state, it’ll be simplicity itself to save it. Then maybe I should take the time to eliminate those worms as well?
: Gch…! Wh-what are we gonna do?!
: Ginga, the cyclists are wide open! Your family’s there too!
: Wh-what?! They were running the bicycles too?!
: M-Mommy… the black Dendoh is…!
: It’ll be fine! We’ll be okay!
: Oh, no…! Mom, Otome…!!
: Sis, it’s the prize! The Data Weapun! Let’s grab it, awreddy!
: I told you to call me “Lady Deondra”, moron!
: S-Sorry, sis.
: …Urgh, whatever. That blue thing might snipe us down if we try making a run for it. We’ll stay here and see how things play out.
: True bit if we jist sit ‘ere, Altair’ll chore oor treasure!
: We can let him have the Data Weapon right now. After we’re back in the Spiral Castle, we’ll wait for our chance – when it happens, we’ll take him out and steal the thing.
: Ooh, Ah gie it. Yer a pure genius, sis.
: This is bad – the Dendoh can’t move yet! We’ve to do something or the Knight Ogre’s going to steal the Leo Circle as well!
: Worse, they’re right by the power relays. If even a stray shot hits, the positron rifle’s energy will…!
: drat it…! What the hell do we do?! Everyone’s gonna die!!
: You fools who’d dare oppose the Gulfer…! Taste oblivion, hand-in-hand with the Dendoh!!
: HOLD IT!
: !?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrdMVc_NO_s
Captions are available!

:allears:

: Oh, one who seeks to sate his foul desires amid the clashes of others... You ought to be ashamed of your deeds. That is what people call… a villain!
: Who are you?!

“You do not deserve to know my name!”

: You would challenge the Gulfer on foot…? Humans truly are wholly brainless creatures!
: And I’ll see that it costs you your life!!
: Wolf Blade! Call forth the thunder of courage!!

: Where there is darkness, there is light. Where there is evil, there is justice…
: The emissary of the heavens, Kenryuu, has arrived!
: Wh-what just happened?! That robot just popped up out of nowhere!
: … This is absurd.
: Who the heck is that…?!
: He seems to be on our side, at the very least…
: Is that… a man?
: Don’t ask me!
: (He looks like… A Cronosian…?!)
: He’s…!
: You know him, Daisuke?!
: The man who bears the Wolf Blade… I’d heard of him when I lived in Planet Fleet.
: He’s a warrior of the planet Cronos, the successor of the Tenkuu Chuushin Ken fighting style… Rom Stoll!
: Ahahahaha! Why, it’s been ages, Rom Stoll!
: Deondra?! Why are you in this planet?!
: That’s my line. Have you come all the way to this backyard world to chase after us?
: We jist cannae git rid o’ this bugger...
: And Devil Saturn 6, too! How?! All of you Gyandolar were destroyed! My friends and I did it ourselves!
: Don’t be ridiculous. In what universe would something like that ever have happened?
: What…?! Are you saying you rose back from the dead, then?!
: Yer talking pish, dunderheid! We ne’er died!!
: (What in blazes…?!)
: You set yourself in my path and then look away… Seems to me that you’re far too overconfident!
: Then, come, Gulfer! I will not allow your kind to claim the Sacred Electronic Beast!
: He knows of the Data Weapons…?

Yeaaaaah! I have so been looking forward to Rom making his grand entrance and he’s awesome in more ways than one:

Kenryuu (Rom Stoll)
Pilot Skills:
  • Sword Cut L4
  • Shield Defense L3
  • Counter L3
  • Leadership
Spirit Commands:
  • Focus (15)
  • Iron Wall (25)
  • Fury (30)
Rom’s Voice Actor: Glorious Kazuhiko Inoue (other known works: Yang Long in Masoukishin and SRW OGs, Kars in Jojo, Flit in Gundam AGE and a billion more)

What other reasons do you need to use Rom after that entrance and Inoue’s voice?
But, if you insist, he’s one of the strongest guys around and, if I remember right, was my top ace way back when (I didn’t abuse Zeorymer). He’s powerful as hell, both dodgy and bulky and he has enough skill to very reliably crit.
If you want him to really be invincible, you could buy him Prevail but I don’t remember needing that. The standard SP Regen, Attacker and E-Save Super Robot combo applies to him too and, if you’d like, get Fighting Spirit or Resolve (or slap some morale+ parts) to get his morale to 130 and enable his Vikungfu transformation ASAP.
We won’t be seeing said transformation today, mind, because I went too crazy and killed all mooks… The Kenryuu is still quite the rear end-kicker, though!

And, since we’re here, let’s also get this one out the way:

Knight Gear Ogre (Altair)
Pilot Skills:
  • Prevail L3
  • Support Attack L1
Altair’s Voice Actor: Kazuhiro Nakata (other known works: M.D. Geist himself, Agent Smith in Matrix, Chapman in G Gundam and many more)

Now for a higher tier of midboss, Altair is pretty much the strongest pilot in the field right now. His stats are great and Prevail L3 paired with the Ogre’s defenses make him bulkier than most. On the positive side, he’s using the baseline Ogre, meaning he doesn’t have the stopping power of the Viper Whip (or, worse, its Mirror Image effect with Illusion Flash).
Something that stood out as strange to me, however, is that his AI (at least on this mission) is extremely defensive – he never attacks outside his own turn. That’s a valid tactic when being sniped but doing it all the time only means he’ll die slightly slower.

We’ll let him come to us and keep working on Deondra.

: You want to take me on? Do you have a death wish?!
: Zip it, you hag! And if you’re a girl bot, you oughta go and make yourself a body that’s a whole lot cuter than this!
: I’d prefer a short-haired, tomboyish girl, myself.
: Well… I personally have no problems whatsoever with her current model.
: These worms…!

: Psh… Another Kenpo fighter, I see…!
: I won’t ask who you are or where you came from! But if your kind will be a threat to Earth, then my fists will crush you into dust!
: And he’s also one of those self-styled champions of justice…! Well, I can’t stand people like that!

: Oho… This machine runs on Getter Rays?
: She knows of that energy?
: Guess that means her group’s one of the foretold invaders from space.
: “Invade”…? Sorry but we’re not here for something as bothersome as that!

: Is she a machine… or is she actually alive?!
: This your first time seeing a mechanical life form? This is why I hate coming to hick planets like this.
: … Though, if I was gonna meet with anyone, I’d have taken a cute girl over an old lady bot any day of the week…
: I heard that...! You’re not leaving here alive now, boy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uk0kul7JlK4
And here’s her best attack, now that I cared to set someone right in her face.

: What the…! The mech’s talking?!
: You’ve never seen a mechanical life form before, have you, boy?
: Dealing with old ladies has never been my forte…! So if you guys’re set on invading Earth, I’m not holding anything back!
: Rrgh…! You disgusting brat!

I’ll save her for someone who needs levels. Next up is the Fenomena, who’s just been hanging around all this time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zm-l7QBI6NM
It only has a single attack nothing else of import, really. And, ew, I hate how it moves its eye before attacking.

And Roux finishes the job. No one actually says anything about us taking down the cause of the whole blackout.

The rest of our attacks are spent weakening Devil Saturn a bit, so far Rom can wreck him.

Enemy Phase!

Both him and Deondra trade blows with, respectively, Kouji and Bright with predictable results.

Altair’s taken my bait, though, closing in on our people and going straight for Vega.

: You again…!
: This man… He really is recognizing me?

Nice.

Enemy Phase!

Off you go, Rom!

I might say this is my favorite BGM in the game but I can’t actually choose between it, Dragonar’s, Dendoh’s… It’s up there, though!

: All of you came back to life as well, Devil Saturn 6?!
: Och! Dinnae talk like the six o’ us are one ‘n’ the same!
: Regardless, it matters not if there are six or a hundred of you! Foes of your caliber will not give me pause!
: Hrrm! ‘Is heid’s gotten e’en bigger since Ah last saw ‘im!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpQVeMxaODI

Saturn runs off, promising to pay us back for this.

Actually, Bright’s level is pretty low and I want Torres to learn something ASAP to make leveling the ZZ kids easier.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2W9FsbxWZM
Like in W, your ships can call upon undeployed units for a support attack. Better yet, whoever joins in on the battle actually gets exp!

That’s four levels for the Argama, with Torres learning Cheer and Saegusa learning Alert.

Deondra goes with the classic “I’LL REMEMBER THIS!” :argh:

Now we just wait one more turn to wreck Altair.

Enemy Phase!

: The Dendoh’s charge is complete! You’re good to go!
: Same here – now we just need to run our final checks! Hokuto, Ginga, go stop the Ogre and save the Data Weapon!
: Yes!
: Dendoh, activate!

: Look, mommy! The Dendoh!
: I see it…! All our pedaling has paid off!
: Alright, Dendoh! You’re up now!
: Good luck, Dendoh!
: Hmph. You’ve managed to get it moving, have you?
: Ogre…!
: Let’s do this, Ginga!
: R-Right!

*The Dendoh charges after the Ogre*

: Fools…! Have you forgotten what happened last time?
: !
: Ginga?!
: Rrgh…!
: (I told you time and again, didn’t I? There are loads of people stronger than you out there but you can never let yourself be truly defeated.)
: (But… but, I…!)
: Ginga, what’s wrong?!
: Hmhmhmhm…!
: (M-Mom…!!)
: (And when your heart falters, that's when true defeat happens. While I don’t know who you fought, you’ve the look of someone whose heart has actually faltered. What do you have to say about that?)
: !!

: Hm? You’ll still fight?
: Haaaaaaah…!
: That stance…!
: Come on, Hokuto – we gotta take him on! If we lose and he steals the Data Weapon, everything my mom, Otome and all those people did would’ve been for nothing!
: And we also gotta keep the energy safe for Shinji!
: …!
: Ginga…!
: Wait, you two – I’ll handle him while you go and save the Data Weapon!
: No, if I run from him now, I’ll keep running forever! So I’ll do this here and now!

*The Leo Circle comes over!*

: The Leo Circle…!
: What?!
: Y-You’re…!
: What the Leo Circle seeks is courage…! By conquering his fear of the Ogre, Ginga’s proven himself!
: Do it, Ginga!
: Yeah!
: File save: Leo Circle!!

: Leo Drive! INSTAAALL!!

: Rrrr, curses! How could the likes of you claim the Leo Circle?!
: Accept your defeat…! Even you ought to understand that the Sacred Electronic Beast saw the courage that lies in his heart and, thus, chose him as its master…!
: Hrrm…!
: Victory is already beyond your grasp! Leave now if you value your life!
: Idiocy! I’ll simply destroy the Dendoh and take its Data Weapons!
: Bring it on, then, Ogre!!

He says and then immediately goes after Kouji. :v:

: Let’s do this, masked man! You’re not putting one finger on Earth or any other Data Weapons while we’re around!
: You’ve a fine spirit. However, the machine you pilot is hardly a match for the Ogre!

Altair got a grand 9% hit rate against the TFO, which I actually think is the highest anyone’s ever gotten thus far.

Player Phase!

And here’s the Leo Circle-equipped Dendoh (it’s in his right foot). This one’s pretty much an upgrade of the basic form, having post-movement melee strikes as its two stronger moves.
The File Load covers its range deficiency but it’s only post-movement and therein lies a problem: if you move, you either need to get right in an enemy’s face to use his Leo Senpuu Kyaku or use the Final Attack for an 1-3 range. The Senpuu Kyaku is stronger than the Drill Charge but the Unicorn’s FA is, conversely, better.
Where it got completely shafted, however, is in its unique skill. Unicorn Drill gets a barrier, Viper Whip gets mirror image, and Leo Circle gets Hyper Scan… a command to cast Scan on an enemy. You know, the Spirit Command that costs 1 SP.

Well, let’s show off one of Ginga’s new tricks and get to work on whittling Altair down as he continuously defends.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eiltUGTEpCY

: Ho-hum. To think even a warrior of Cronos would have come to this planet… It seems this is a crossroads for many different fates.
: If our battle is, indeed, fate then I will bring it to a close by way of your crushing defeat…
: Evil never prevails! Such is the absolute truth of the entire universe!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9hqMl5YqN0

: We’ve got Hokuto and Ginga’s backs, so I’m putting an end to your shenanigans!
: As you wish. I can take the time to crush you before burying them!

: Away with you! I’ll eradicate anyone who gets in my way!
: Not going to happen! The Dendoh isn’t the only enemy you’ll have to deal with!
: I’ll never turn the other cheek if you’re here to disturb Earth’s peace!

: Hrm…!
: Oh…? Can you feel my Chi? I guess you’re somewhat skilled, then.
: Right back at you… That said, fists tainted by evil could never beat me!

: (Altair… my brother died in that battle…! I’m sure he’s dead!)
: (Who is this woman…? Is she what’s causing this headache…?!)

: That smug act of yours is really getting on my nerves! Come here – I’m tearing that mask a new one!
: The idea that the likes of you could ever touch the Ogre’s mask is but an impossible dream!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B70-9hkv-NQ
Hey, would you look at that… And the Dragonar folks finally got enough to morale to bust out their stronger combined attack!

Still, this is the kiddies’ show so let’s give them a chance to wrap this up in style:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_eMWgEqjnbY

Altair runs off, shaking his fist at Dendoh.

The kids get a lot of prizes from a cheered kill: Ginga learns Prevail L3 and Spirit, Hokuto also gets Prevail L3 plus Strike.

And here are the couple of convos we missed:

: It’s been ages, Rom. Have you been chasing after us?
: Deondra, I’ve no idea what trick you used but your evil will find no success in this planet!
: However many times you resurrect, wherever you run off to, the light of truth and justice will always find you!

--

: Come on! The Leo Circle put his chips in the power of my courage, so lemme show you what it’s about!
: Shut your mouth, brat! Yapping about bunk like courage, friendship and trust is only pissing me off big time!

: All enemies, excluding the Angel, are confirmed destroyed!
: Thanks for the help, everyone! Now let’s wrap this whole thing up!

: Proceed to phase 7! Final safety device, released!
: All of our civilian collaborators have already been taken to the shelters!
: Cock the rifle!
: Ready!
: Error correction for Earth’s rotation and gravity… plus 0.0009.
: Voltage is 0.2 short of critical. 7th and final connection engaged! Transmitting all energy to the positron rifle!
: Here goes…!
: 8, 7, 6, 5…
: High energy reading detected within target!
: 3, 2, 1!
: Fire!

: Aah!
: It missed?!
: The enemy’s drill has broken into the GeoFront!
: Ready the second shot – hurry!
: Replacing fuses, initiating recharge!
: Another energy reading within the target!
: Oh, no!!

: Ayanami!!
: The shield isn’t holding!
: Are we ready yet?!
: Ten seconds!
: Hu… Hurry up!
: The EVA-00’s melting!
: HURRY!!
: Ready to fire!!
: Hrm!

: We did it!!

: Ayanami!!

: Ayanami, are you alright?!
: … Ikari…
: Oh, thank god… you’re alive…

: Don’t say… don’t say that you’ve nothing else…
: And don’t say goodbye when you’re leaving on a mission. It’s too sad… Gck… aah…
: Why are you crying?
: … I’m sorry. I don’t know what to do at a time like this.
: … Why don’t you try smiling?
: We might not have anything else other than piloting the EVAs right now but… If we’re still alive, then that’s already a good thing.
: If we’re… alive…?
: Right… Because we’ve people waiting for us.
: Even if those bonds were made by the EVAs, there are those who want us to come back.
: Shinji!
: Shinji…!
: … Looks like it’s over.
: Um…
: Hey, I don’t know who you are but…
: Thanks for saving us.
: There’s no need for thanks.
: Dendoh… and you, children chosen by the Sacred Electronic Beasts. Never forget the courage you gained today.
: Until we meet again… farewell!

*Rom leaves :qq:*

: Aah!
: He… he vanished?!
: (Gyandolar… and Rom Stoll. To think they’d all appear on Earth…)

Goodies earned today: Super Allow Z, Repair Kit, Minovsky Craft (enables a unit to fly – I am THIS close to giving Vega a flying bike).

Back in NERV HQ, Misato reports the success of Operation Yashima and the destruction of the Angel. Gendou is quick to pass on orders for a new mission, though: as soon as EVA-00 is repaired, it, plus EVAs -01 and -02, their pilots, and Misato herself are to be posted to the Nahel Argama under Bright's command.
Misato’s stunned at the thought of all three EVAs being sent away and asks why. Furthermore, what’ll happen if another Angel shows up while they’re away? Gendou merely says he won’t change her orders and dismisses her. Misato can’t do much other than reluctantly complying.

Fuyutsuki isn’t too sure about this either as, regardless of the EVA-00 and 02, the Committee will not stay silent face him sending the EVA-01 away. Gendou doesn’t care, saying this will serve as a diversion for those old men... as well as a certain other man.
Besides, the next Angel won't appear for a while: does that mean they’ll be seeing the emergence of “Lost Numbers”? Gendou figures contact with the MU is throwing the schedule off track – which should work to his and Fuyutsuki’s advantage.

Over by GEAR HQ, Misato’s just finished telling Bright of Gendou’s decision. She’s happy to be here but he’s, honestly, rather surprised as he never would have expected this decision.
So, the three EVAs are being added to our forces – unexpectedly generous of NERV, Vega thinks. Misato admits that she was just as surprised as us.
Regardless, the two ladies will actually get a chance to work together at length and on top of having “similar” voices, they also seem about the same age. With that in mind, Vega they needn’t stand on ceremony and drop the honorifics.

: Then it’s a pleasure to be working with you, Misato.
: The pleasure is all mine, Vega.

: … Psh, this hangar’s as dirty as ever.
: Huh? You’ve been on this ship before?
: For a while, when I was coming to Japan.
: Hm-hmm…
: And it looks like the local Three Stooges are still around. At least I won’t be bored, I guess.
: “Local”?

*Door opens.*

: Whoa, whoa, whoa! What’s that EVA doing here?!
: D-Don’t tell me…
: That she’s also…!
: Yes, I am.
: Gcht! A-Asuka!
: Uurgh… this is horrible…
: Are these the “local Three Stooges” you were talking about?
: Yep. They’re stupid enough to rival even you, Touji and Kensuke.
: Again with that?! Argh, you’re already getting on my nerves and you’ve only been here minutes!
: Well, we are going to be working together now… I suppose I could be nicer to you – a little.
: Oi… There’re tough times ahead, I can feel it…

Midori’s just gotten off the phone with Ginga, who’s said that he’ll be going on with his “tour”. It’ll be a while until he comes back but Otome says she’ll keep waiting until he does.
Midori’s glad to hear it and asks her to come along as they go and buy new batteries for her stuffed animal. “Gin… I know there’s a lot on your plate but you hang in there, alright?” Midori says inwardly.

Brunom1 fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Jan 7, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Operation Yashima really doesn't lend itself to a Super Robot Wars level. I mean, none of the Angels really do, being single entities that have canon invulnerabilities to most of what you'd be throwing at it in a big ol' SRPG like this, but this bit is even worse, since so much of what makes the original sequence (and its recut in Rebuild 1.0) so memorable is tied up in the atmosphere and the build up to a single decisive exchange of gunfire.

Not to say that MX didn't give it a good go, mind.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Rom Stoll. :allears:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Why would you NOT give Vega a flying bike, I don't understand?

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
Kazuhiko Inoue also plays Reiji Arisu in SRW's cousin series, Namco x Capcom/Project X Zone (also Endless Frontier, also a cousin series). This is noteworthy because in the Project X Zone games, Reiji does the "Hold it!" bit, and in PXZ2, even follows up with a line similar to "I don't have a name to give to the likes of you", but the localization kills that portion of the reference (you can still hear it if you understand Japanese). Basically, Banpresto relishes any chance they have to make in-jokes about the VAs.

heavybassX
Jul 27, 2016
The fact that Haken from Endless Frontier showed up in Moon Dwellers plus there is references to Reiji and Xiaomu in said game has convinced me that they are going to show up in specially designed mechs that allow them to use their various guns and swords.

Other than that can we all fangirl over Rom Stol, he is the awesomeness of running gags

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

Maybe Brunom's waiting on another equip part to make her even more hilariously broken? :shrug:

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, any mech that has powerful melee attacks that can't hit Sky, like Big O, Boss Borot, and so on (as opposed to the EVAs and Mobile Suits that have guns as their best moves, even though their swords/knives can't hit flyers), I make a top priority for a Minovsky Craft or its equivalent, so Vega was, I believe, the first one to get flight in MX, because leaving her with just her bazooka against aerial units was lame.

Also, anyone else notice how SRW seems to have fewer and fewer units each game that absolutely need flight? I think the only notable mechs that needed flight to hit aerial units in the Z games were Big O and Boss Borot (even Dai-Guard came with a built-in solution for flyers), while earlier in the franchise, there'd be large swaths of the cast whose only post-movement attacks couldn't hit airborne units. Maybe I'm just imagining a pattern, but it definitely seems like something that used to be more common (could just be because casts used to be incredibly large, too, like in Alpha).

Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

You touch my burger, and I'll slap you so hard you won't even be able to understand how you fucked up.
Rom Stoll! :swoon: I'm really sad he doesn't join here, but he's still amazing. :swoon:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

EclecticTastes posted:

Yeah, any mech that has powerful melee attacks that can't hit Sky, like Big O, Boss Borot, and so on (as opposed to the EVAs and Mobile Suits that have guns as their best moves, even though their swords/knives can't hit flyers), I make a top priority for a Minovsky Craft or its equivalent, so Vega was, I believe, the first one to get flight in MX, because leaving her with just her bazooka against aerial units was lame.

Also, anyone else notice how SRW seems to have fewer and fewer units each game that absolutely need flight? I think the only notable mechs that needed flight to hit aerial units in the Z games were Big O and Boss Borot (even Dai-Guard came with a built-in solution for flyers), while earlier in the franchise, there'd be large swaths of the cast whose only post-movement attacks couldn't hit airborne units. Maybe I'm just imagining a pattern, but it definitely seems like something that used to be more common (could just be because casts used to be incredibly large, too, like in Alpha).

"Flight" has also become a more common thing among robots as just a default thing. There are fewer and fewer robots who don't fly or can't fly and with SRW using newer shows more regularly there's not a lot going on there.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
You don't deserve to know my name!

...and now, to loudly announce the name of my robot!

Still, we need more obvious sentai heroes in robots in these games. And with all the reactions, I just know I'm in for a wonderful time :allears:

Section Z fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Sep 3, 2016

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

heavybassX posted:

The fact that Haken from Endless Frontier showed up in Moon Dwellers plus there is references to Reiji and Xiaomu in said game has convinced me that they are going to show up in specially designed mechs that allow them to use their various guns and swords.

I can't say that they'll make an appearance in OGs, personally; the Gespenst Haken was a special concession because of Haken and Aschen's very explicit tie to the Shadow Mirrors (and because it was an actual plot point from Endless Frontier) . It would be an incredibly difficult sell for Reiji and Xiaomu to suddenly have twenty-meter tall robots custom-built for them.

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013
I think there are a number of ways to use Operation Yashima as a set piece effectively. More effectively than this. Though it would require doing some things that SRW rarely does.

First they'd want to properly establish Ramiel's badass cred. SRW can end up neutering enemies that should be threatening. Anyone can take out any enemy, or if not it's because they're effectively invincible until casually taken out in a cutscene. To make Ramiel into a foe that justifies all this effort, instead of just having Unit-01 retreat, have a situation that forces the player to launch other units to retrieve it, letting Ramiel beat the tar out of your toughest supers for a couple turns with a special skill that lets it counterattack automatically if a unit even moves too close.

For the night part of the operation, have the heroes reinforced by some enemy faction that has a vested interest in humanity's survival. Titans, Radam, whatever. That's always interesting. Meanwhile, the foes that would be happy with mankind wiped out are throwing everything they've got at you. Including some ultra-long range units that can hit you from across the map and force you to try to either fly around or through Ramiel's exclusion zone. Also, your progress will be slowed if the positron rifle's electrical relays are damaged, so you also have to keep those repaired.

And then Ramiel melts half the mountain, instantly destroying any units in that area.

Angels may not fit the typical SRW mission mold, but that just means they have to get more creative with their presentation.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

ImpAtom posted:

"Flight" has also become a more common thing among robots as just a default thing. There are fewer and fewer robots who don't fly or can't fly and with SRW using newer shows more regularly there's not a lot going on there.

I think it's usually been sorta half and half? There's a fair few recent shows where flight is limited that come to mind: Iron-Blooded Orphans, Broken Blade, M3...and Argevollen where for whatever reason it was just never invented so you have really weird situations like an ordinary-rear end concrete wall in a valley being a major thing designed to hold back anything giant robots could throw at it. But the vast majority of old super robots I can think of also could just fly around whenever, and the only big real robot thing from ages past where stuff doesn't fly around that much is more or less Mobile Suit Gundam.

I remember in J there were like only 5 important units that couldn't fly - the Boss Borot, the FMP trio, and the Strike if for some reason it wasn't rolling with the Aile or IWSP. Maybe also stuff like the ground-type Aestis, Sayaka's old rides, and...the Buster/Duel? But I never used any of those things.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Gyra_Solune posted:

.I remember in J there were like only 5 important units that couldn't fly - the Boss Borot, the FMP trio, and the Strike if for some reason it wasn't rolling with the Aile or IWSP..

The Aile sucks. :colbert:

No reason to use it ever in J or W.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Montegoraon posted:

I think there are a number of ways to use Operation Yashima as a set piece effectively. More effectively than this. Though it would require doing some things that SRW rarely does.

First they'd want to properly establish Ramiel's badass cred. SRW can end up neutering enemies that should be threatening. Anyone can take out any enemy, or if not it's because they're effectively invincible until casually taken out in a cutscene. To make Ramiel into a foe that justifies all this effort, instead of just having Unit-01 retreat, have a situation that forces the player to launch other units to retrieve it, letting Ramiel beat the tar out of your toughest supers for a couple turns with a special skill that lets it counterattack automatically if a unit even moves too close.

For the night part of the operation, have the heroes reinforced by some enemy faction that has a vested interest in humanity's survival. Titans, Radam, whatever. That's always interesting. Meanwhile, the foes that would be happy with mankind wiped out are throwing everything they've got at you. Including some ultra-long range units that can hit you from across the map and force you to try to either fly around or through Ramiel's exclusion zone. Also, your progress will be slowed if the positron rifle's electrical relays are damaged, so you also have to keep those repaired.

And then Ramiel melts half the mountain, instantly destroying any units in that area.

Angels may not fit the typical SRW mission mold, but that just means they have to get more creative with their presentation.

You should play F Final if you want to see the Angels kick the absolute poo poo out of your forces. Also pretty much everyone else. Old SRW didn't gently caress around.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Materant posted:

I can't say that they'll make an appearance in OGs, personally; the Gespenst Haken was a special concession because of Haken and Aschen's very explicit tie to the Shadow Mirrors (and because it was an actual plot point from Endless Frontier) . It would be an incredibly difficult sell for Reiji and Xiaomu to suddenly have twenty-meter tall robots custom-built for them.
Plus, Reiji and Xiamou are almost certainly covered by the Namco x Capcom license. So, in order to use them in anything would require the SRW staff to walk to another floor of the building to discuss licensing particulars with the Namco x Capcom/Project X Zone people. Whereas with Haken and Aschen, those two are straight-up Banpresto Originals and don't require the SRW staff to do the Featured Series Licensing TangoTM to use them in projects.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

AradoBalanga posted:

Plus, Reiji and Xiamou are almost certainly covered by the Namco x Capcom license. So, in order to use them in anything would require the SRW staff to walk to another floor of the building to discuss licensing particulars with the Namco x Capcom/Project X Zone people. Whereas with Haken and Aschen, those two are straight-up Banpresto Originals and don't require the SRW staff to do the Featured Series Licensing TangoTM to use them in projects.

I'm at least expecting Suzuka to come over - she has her own bot (which looks sooo cool) and could join Latooni and Shine's Idol band.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Brunom1 posted:

I'm at least expecting Suzuka to come over - she has her own bot (which looks sooo cool) and could join Latooni and Shine's Idol band.

Really, I was honestly surprised we didn't get her in the first place. The Jyakigunoh seems like a shoe-in. More iffy is the Arcgain and Abend/Nacht since they don't have designated pilots and pure copies of them would just be sort of pointless.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

AradoBalanga posted:

I imagine it wouldn't be terribly difficult to convince them, at the very least. That's only one of the inherent problems with the idea, though.

Brunom1 posted:

Now I'm just imagining how ludicrously complex controlling a twenty-meter robot with puppet strings would be.

Materant fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Sep 4, 2016

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

Dr Pepper posted:

The Aile sucks. :colbert:

No reason to use it ever in J or W.

Well I usually stuck with the Aile just because the simple nature of everything flying meant that anything stuck on the ground was always lagging behind! And given most maps in J usually involved a rapid succession of 'oh no, the enemy has just spawned in on the exact opposite side of the map from where you just put everyone!', you do have to run everyone around a lot.

Materant posted:

Now I'm just imagining how ludicrously complex controlling a twenty-meter robot with puppet strings would be.

I kind of imagined her actually just controlling the regular Jyaki-Gun-Oh, within the cockpit of a much larger one that tracks the motions of the smaller one, in what has to be the most convoluted way to pilot a robot ever conceived.

Ashram
Oct 20, 2013

Gyra_Solune posted:

Well I usually stuck with the Aile just because the simple nature of everything flying meant that anything stuck on the ground was always lagging behind! And given most maps in J usually involved a rapid succession of 'oh no, the enemy has just spawned in on the exact opposite side of the map from where you just put everyone!', you do have to run everyone around a lot.

I kind of imagined her actually just controlling the regular Jyaki-Gun-Oh, within the cockpit of a much larger one that tracks the motions of the smaller one, in what has to be the most convoluted way to pilot a robot ever conceived.

How about Suzuka piloting a giant robot version of herself controlling a giant version of Jyaki-Gun-Oh?

Wounded Land
Nov 27, 2007
Living in a greenhouse, growing crops that we can't eat...

Section Z posted:

Still, we need more obvious sentai heroes in robots in these games. And with all the reactions, I just know I'm in for a wonderful time :allears:

Rom Stoll is so Sentai that both of RoC's themes were song by Masato Shimon! Though I guess that makes him more of a Rider like Vega...

Wounded Land
Nov 27, 2007

EclecticTastes posted:

You should play F Final if you want to see the Angels kick the absolute poo poo out of your forces. Also pretty much everyone else. Old SRW didn't gently caress around.

If you played the Real route in F, you were pretty drat hosed early on without extremely smart upgrading because you basically only had Gundams vs. Heavy Metals and Aura Battlers.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Wounded Land posted:

If you played the Real route in F, you were pretty drat hosed early on without extremely smart upgrading because you basically only had Gundams vs. Heavy Metals and Aura Battlers.

If you play Real route in F, you're kinda in bad shape, regardless, because your Love Interest character will have a hard time finding a decent unit to pilot (IIRC, I don't think the Gespenst R has the same late-game potential as the S, due to Limit killing its ability to dodge, and there's few enough truly good endgame mobile suits to go around as it is without having a Banpresto Original using one*).

*For context, this is a game where literally nothing from Zeta or ZZ is viable in the endgame, you basically have the Nu Gundam, Sazabi (route-specific, no less), MP Nu Gundam, Jagd Doga (barely), and the F91 as mobile suits you can actually use, and that's it, everything else will be looking at 100% hit chances from enemy bosses (hell, even with the viable suits, it's often higher thant 70%). Limit sucked, that's why it was dramatically increased in Alpha and Alpha Gaiden, then ultimately phased out.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Wounded Land posted:

I understand that a Gundam fighting an Aura Battler was a fucker because Aura Battlers were Small and had barriers, but what made fighting Heavy Metals hard? Did they have anti-beam coats or something?

EclecticTastes posted:

Limit sucked, that's why it was dramatically increased in Alpha and Alpha Gaiden, then ultimately phased out.

Limit, to explain, was a mechanic that represented the fact that Amuro was such a good pilot in the original Mobile Suit Gundam that the Gundam couldn't keep up. Limit was a cap on how much the pilot's Dodge and unit's Mobility could add up to, any more than that and it didn't work. I haven't played a Super Robot Wars with that stat in forever (and never F), but I think that a really good pilot could outpace the Limit without too much trouble.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

MechaCrash posted:

Limit, to explain, was a mechanic that represented the fact that Amuro was such a good pilot in the original Mobile Suit Gundam that the Gundam couldn't keep up. Limit was a cap on how much the pilot's Dodge and unit's Mobility could add up to, any more than that and it didn't work. I haven't played a Super Robot Wars with that stat in forever (and never F), but I think that a really good pilot could outpace the Limit without too much trouble.

In F/F Final, in particular, Limit was brutal. Even most of the CCA suits and the F91 would be maxed out by the end, except possibly the Sazabi with full upgrades, because the Sazabi had pretty heavily inflated stats to make up for showing up so late (most late-game units in F Final had grossly inflated stats, like Gunbuster and Ideon, so if you saved or hacked your money, they'd become grossly overpowered). Also the Bilbine and L-Gaim Mk II were the only units from their respective series capable of doing anything at all in the endgame.

Though, to be fair, the Limits for non-Mobile Suits were usually fine, but that's because they didn't need to dodge to survive like Gundams did back then.

Wounded Land
Nov 27, 2007

MechaCrash posted:

I understand that a Gundam fighting an Aura Battler was a fucker because Aura Battlers were Small and had barriers, but what made fighting Heavy Metals hard? Did they have anti-beam coats or something?

Virtually every HM had a beam coat; fortunately, they're all ground units, so you could just bap them with beam sabers, but no such luck with ABs.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I suppose you need both plot-heavy and tech-heavy series to make a solid SRW. To create an interesting stage structure, if for no other reason.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

The Medius’ operator lady reports to Mitall that AI1's education is proceeding without a hitch, and will soon be ready to go to level 3. As for “those two”, she says both are getting progressively better at handling the Garmraid.
That being said, she figures there’s always a chance that Hugo could figure out “his” identity, Mitall will come under a lot of suspicion. He retorts that it matters not what Hugo thinks of him - he's got no choice but to obey if he wants to keep receiving his medicine.
“I’ve read the reports. That medicine he’s taking is quite hazardous, no?” the woman asks. “I’m well aware. Regardless, he can’t survive without it – that’s just how his body is,” Mitall says.

Mitall then asks her if she’d be fine if Aqua found out her true identity, to which she responds that she intends to keep it hidden a while longer. That being said, she’s well aware that emotional control is a major weakness of the girl, so this could be make for a good card to play at the appropriate time.
Mitall is amused by her treating everyone else as mere objects that can be useful or not. Then again, he’s not going to deny that he’s the same way.

When the woman asks, Mitall relates how the Tsentr Project is to be slightly behind schedule, but the frames for machines 8 and 9 are about finished. Everything else will depend on when he gets the material.
What about the Federal investigation regarding the Medius’ theft? Mitall has a contact in the Committee helping with that – it won’t be a problem.
Finally, the woman has a request: she figures the subjects available for AI1 to learn from are too limited due to their solo mission and wants to change that. What, does she figure the Nahel Argama, bearing the strongest fighting force of the Federation, isn’t good enough?

That’s not what she said but she still wants to maximize the number of sources AI1 can learn from. Fine, Mitall agrees to have the variants of units #1 and #2 readied for her to use – the army won’t notice that.
Furthermore, he’s taken the time to establish some contacts with the Giganos. If need be, he can have the Medius assigned to work with them to collect more varied data. And with that, the woman thanks him and bids farewell.

We find Johji Futagami, visiting the place – he’s a reporter and has some questions for Prof. Hibiki. For instance, is he familiar with the recently executed Operation Overlord? Hibiki says no but Johji isn’t buying it: the professor’s often helped TERRA study the MU, so he should have been informed of the operation, no?
Hibiki shrugs that he wouldn’t, since he’s a civilian collaborator, but Johji keeps pressing on. He’s read Hibiki’s work regarding Devil Empire’s Fossil Beasts and the Dolems, research that was obviously useful for TERRA’s endeavors, and yet the guys didn’t care to tell him anything? Now that’s just rude.

Hibiki doesn’t like being put on the spot and asks him to get to the point. Fair enough, Johji tells him of rumors he’s heard of a mysterious giant mech emerging from within Tokyo Jupiter during Operation Overlord – one that bears some similarities to Raideen. Hibiki says that Raideen hasn't sortied for several days and, when asks, adds there’s been nothing strange happening to it.
Johji doesn’t buy it, and Hibiki knows it, but he lets it slide. One last question, then: where is Hibiki’s wife, Reiko? The professor sighs that she died in the final battle against the Devil Empire. Johji apologizes for his disrespectful question but, inwardly, Hibiki wonders why this guy knows about her – despite his claims at being a simple reporter, there’s obviously more to him.

The alarm sounds right then and Higashiyama yells that some unknown objects are approaching Mutropolis. Is it “them”, Hibiki wonders, causing Johji’s ears to perk up. Does “them” mean the MU?
But, no, Higashiyama says it’s something different this time. Regardless, he’s already got in touch with the Federation and the Nahel Argama should arrive soon. Until they do, he’ll be sending Akira and Mari out to run defense.

The Star of La Mu, Targeted

: Just who are these guys…?!
: (Whose units are these…? At the very least I know they’re not Bähbem’s but…)
: Mari, reinforcements will be here soon! Just hold the line until then!
: Aye, aye!
: We don’t know what the enemy’s after so be very careful!
: OK! And where’s Akira?
: He’ll be with you shortly!
: RAIDEEEEEEEN!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0QUzNW-ECg

: (Ah, enter the guardian deity of the Mu Empire…)
: (But unlike the battle with the Devil Empire, the 5-A’s in the outside world now… I’m very eager to see what the Bähbem Foundation will do.)
: We’re closing Mutropolis’ shell! Good luck to you both, Mari, Akira!
: You got it!

: Here we go!

Now this is a nice rest for all the crazy stuff in the last mission, huh? And we’ve got more Akira Kamiya, which is always nice!

Bluger (Mari Sakurano)
Pilot Skills:
  • Tenacity – activates at 120 morale, casts Gain at the start of every turn
  • Unyielding Spirit
  • Support Defense L1
Spirit Commands:
  • Bless (35)
  • Trust (25)
  • Cheer (20)
  • Focus (15)
Mech Features:
  • Repair Module
  • Resupply Module
Mari’s Voice Actress: Makoto Kousaka (other known roles: Hiromi in Ace o Nerae, Mai in Cream Lemon and a few others)

Pretty much a pure supporter and a good one at that. Knowing Bless, Cheer and Focus right off the bat is a very nice way to claim herself a spot in a team – just give her some SP Regen and she’ll be good to go. The Bluger is S sized and sports S ratings in Air and Space, meaning it’ll dodge pretty reliably (as usual, not TFO level) and her Tenacity skill means she’ll be easier than most to keep leveled up.

Raideen/God Bird (Akira Hibiki)
Pilot Skills:
  • Telekinesis – restores 20% of max SP every turn(!)
  • Sword Cut L1
  • Shield Defense L2
  • Support Attack L1
Spirit Commands:
  • Focus (15)
  • Strike (20)
  • Alert (10)
Akira’s Voice Actor: Akira Kamiya, duh

Oh, baby, I had completely forgotten about his Telekinesis skill. It plus his 88 SP means he’ll recover either 16 or 18 SP per turn (I don’t know if it rounds up or down) which already means he can have Focus going nonstop.
Normally that’d mean that the Raideen would have the defenses of a wet paper bag but this is MX – our units are ranked either “powerful as gently caress” or “broken as gently caress”… and the low tier ZZ units. Regardless, the Raideen has that sweet shield/barrier combo that RahXephon had, meaning it’s way tankier than normal and it’ll dodge a bit reliably with some upgrades.

Akira’s, of course, a great pilot at both melee and ranged attacks and the Raideen’s as strong as you’d expect a protagonist Super to be. Curiously, the God Bird doesn’t face the same issue as Duke’s Spazer – it’s strongest attack IS Raideen’s strongest, so you don’t lose out on power. The only flaw is that the bird has less range and is limited to EN attacks. It does have more movement, though.

No enemies are in range, so everyone moves forward.

Enemy Phase!

And they all close in as well.

Player Phase!

The Argama arrives right then and Akira’s quick to tell himself Ryouma that they’re all OK.
As everyone deploys, Aqua is a bit startled by the enemies present – she figures she’s seen them before but can’t quite put her finger on it. To be specific, they only partially resemble whatever she remembers. Is she just imagining things?
Johji meanwhile is a bit surprised that the EVAs were assigned to our group. Quite the bold move from NERV’s folks – a ploy to draw attention away from themselves, maybe?

Mission Objective: Destroy all enemies
Mission Failure: The Nahel Argama, Raideen or God Gundam shot down.
:laffo: at these buggers even getting close to downing any of those three units.

Let’s get to work with GOOOODO GOOOOGANNNNN.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-ErFQDTRhw
Insert Pacha image over here.
FYI, many Japanese pages I visited have the weapon’s name as Gogun/Go-gun – the idea is that it’s a play on bow gun. It comes from having the first bit replaced with Raideen’s usual God- prefix. So, it’s God + Bow Gun = Go-gun.

Hayato and Beecha keep the ball rolling, oneshotting their respective Tergums.

Until Iino disappoints me…

That’s fine. Shinji can take care of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BoilUSRE8BY
FUNSAI! GYOKUSAI! DAIKASSAI!

… Oh, yeah, I never took a gander at the new kids.

EVA-01 (Shinji Ikari)
Pilot Skills:
  • Sword Cut L1
  • Support Attack L1
  • Support Defense L1
  • Assisted Attack L1
Spirit Commands:
  • Strike (15)
  • Alert (10)
  • Accelerate (5)
Mech Features:
  • A.T. Field
  • Umbilical Cable
  • Berserk – suffice to say that the mech gets cranky when it’s destroyed.
Shinji’s Voice Actress: Megumi Ogata (other known works: Naegi in Dangit Ron Paul, Yuugi in Yu-Gi-Oh, Kurama in Yu Yu Hakusho, Lin/Ring Mao in SRW and many more)

Shinji’s like Asuka, only not as good. You’re stuck with him as the protagonist, though, so we might as well make a capable fighter out of the kid. Luckily, the EVA is pretty good: strong, has good range and even kept the Positron Sniper Rifle to use as a MAPW. It’s as bulky as you’d expect… until something can pop his A.T. Field reliably, then it’ll turn flimsy. When dealing with bosses, have him always be protected by Alert or some Support Defense.

Standard SP Regen (to help him get more Strike casts, what with his crap accuracy) and Attacker are priorities as always. After that, you’ll probably want B-Save, Infight or even Prevail if you’d like to boost his survivability.
Oh, and fair warning, the EVAs are expensive as HELL to repair: 40k for the 01, 20k for the 00, 24k for the 02, so that’s another reason to keep a close eye on them.

Pilot Skills:
  • Sword Cut L1
  • Support Attack L1
  • Support Defense L1
  • Concentration – reduce the cost of spirit commands by 20%
Spirit Commands:
  • Alert (8)
  • Focus (12)
Mech Features:
  • A.T. Field
  • Umbilical Cable
Rei’s Voice Actress: Megumi Hayashibara (other known works: Ranma in Ranma ½, Faye in Cowboy Bebop, Christina McKenzie in various Gundams and many more)

For someone “born to pilot an EVA”, she’s not very good at it. Rei’s an overall worse pilot than Shinji and the EVA-00 ends up as the weakest of them all. Its saving grace, right now, is that it can use the Positron Sniper Rifle as both a regular and MAP weapon making it tied with the 01 for the heaviest hitter… but that will change and then it’ll fall behind.
Were this a game with squads, she’d be a good squaddie but over here? No.
Keep her slightly leveled up because plot might dictate her to deploy but, otherwise, I say it’s straight to the bench. Asuka and Shinji can more than easily fill the EVA quota in our team.

With that tangent done, Domon kills the last Tergum.

There isn’t time to rest after the enemies are dead, with Torres detecting several signals coming from underground. Soon, the the Death Army emerges.
Rain does not detect any heat signatures of the actual Devil Gundam and Domon is left wondering what the hell they could be here for. “Hahaha! It figures you wouldn’t get it, Japanese!” says a voice.

It’s Chibodee Crockett and the hulking Argo Gulskii, more members of the Shuffle Alliance. Kaine remembers the doppelgangers of Sai and George from before and Chibodee sees that trying that stunt again wouldn’t do them any good.
So, they won’t beat around the bush: “We are DG Cell clones of the Shuffle Alliance members. Same deal as Schwarz Bruder, the duplicate of your brother Kyoji.”
Unfortunately, a year ago, Domon destroyed any data that could be used to clone Schwarz and Master Asia ( :qq: ) but it’s a simple matter to clone the currently-existing members of the Shuffle Aliance. Rain asks who’s behind this mess but, of course, they’re not telling.
Furthermore, Chibodee says that, unlike an defective clone like Schwarz, they're perfect, unflinching soldiers – far better than the originals.

: Don’t make me laugh!

:black101: :black101:

: You may have mimicked their faces and strength… but you haven’t the crest or the soul of the Shuffle Alliance! That makes you no better than sock puppets! The likes of you could never surpass Chibodee and Argo!
: Hah! But we’ve a power you haven’t – the DG Cells that tormented you and your brother!
: Kyoji… Schwarz… Master… the three of them and myself went through hell because of those, and I will not let you put anyone else through that!
: Hahahaha! Good on you, good on you. But you oughta know, Japanese, that even greater pain than before is waiting for you all!
: That’s right… a crisis that can’t even be compared to what happened a year ago…!
: Shut your mouths! You disgrace the Shuffle name with every breath and I’m ending you myself!
: Come on! GUNDAM FIGHT…!!
: Easy there. We didn’t come all the way here to tangle with you.
: Hm?! What are you after, then?!
: That would be… the Star of La Mu.
: Why would they want that…?!
: To get Mutron Energy under their control, maybe…?!
: (If that’s true, then the one behind this is… Oh, boy, this’ll be getting a whole lot more complicated…)
: What are you going to do with the Star of La Mu?!
: You don’t need to know any of that.
: All you have to do is hand over the Star, nice and quiet.
: No way! I swore to my mother, when she died, that I’d use Mutron Energy for good!!
: Then we’re just gonna have to take it from you!

And there we have it. Faux Argo and Chibodee aren’t really a problem – Domon could probably solo them both. One thing at a time, though.

This’ll be over quick.

Vega and Kaine take another Death Army, while Hugo harnesses his rage to oneshot a Death Birdy.

Enemy Phase!

Speaking of Vega, I did give her a flying bike.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_Sj8AiLZ1k
Being in the air doesn’t stop her from popping wheelies. Another zombie tries her and gets oneshotted by a missile crit.

Player Phase!

Shinji finishes what Vega started.

We haven’t seen any of Hayato’s moves yet, so let’s get this one out of the way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_gCIXb4gfM
Just enough.

Holy hell, that’s an absurd amount of damage from a piddly flying saucer. Also, I put an EWAC (Weak) on the TFO to give an added 15% accuracy/evasion bonus around it.

Forward!

Being plugged to the Argama means the EVAs don’t need to worry about abusing their A.T. Fields.
Light finishes the job.

After Kaine preps a bird, Tap moves over.

And there it goes.

Keep ‘em coming.

Good man.

The remaining mooks will kill themselves on us during their turn, so let’s get to work on the clones.

: You really are children to just come and try to face me… You don’t see the different between our powers, it seems.
: Zip it! I’d never lose to some counterfeit Argo Gulskii!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FS68R3-8LEQ
Hokuto’s using Iron Wall. :v:

Again, I don’t care to have Decisive Battle as my standard BGM. So, I’m replacing it with that I used as Shinji’s custom BGM in Z3.
This instrumental, and many others, was made by Yukiuki in Nico, so you can head over there for some others.

: E-Even my A.T. Field might not last for long against someone as strong as him…!
: Ikari…!
: What’s wrong, boy? If you’re not attacking, then I am!

: Hand over the Star of La Mu if you value your lives.
: Not happening! I won’t let Mutron Energy end up as your toy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryYK4irp55c
GOOOOODO ALPHAAAAAAAA! RAAAAAAAAAAAAAI!

: Who’s ordering you two around?!
: If you want to know, ask me with your fists… Heheheh, that’s what you guys would say, no?
: You worm…!

Argo just yells and blows up.

Oh, I suppose I could use Rei’s Positron Sniper Rifle to kill the last bird. Get this out of the way while I still have room for her.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhHM-BW5owE

: The Shuffle Alliance are my heroes! You’ve got a lot of stones insulting them like that, bastard!
: Hah, what a wide-eyed kid we got here! Well, you just won yourself a prize: a way stronger punch than my original could ever do!

: The Mutron Energy is not something you could use properly!
: And you think we care?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtIkIxfhJmE

: Who made you? Who’s behind all this?! Answer me!
: I told you, didn’t I, Japanese? That’s none of your business!

Light needed a wee bit of exp to catch up. And I forgot to have Shinji attack Chibodee:

: What’s up, boy? You pissin’ yourself in that cockpit?
: What’re you doing, Shinji?! Don’t take a guy like him seriously for even a second and he’ll pick up a lot of steam!
: You’re pretty feisty, eh, girl? Stay there for a sec… after I’ve finished this kid here, I’m coming after you!

GADDEMGODDAMN!” It’s the end of the road for Chiboclone.

Argo is worth a High-Spec Sight (accuracy +30). Chibodee is worth a Screw Module (equipped unit gets A rank in water).

And there go all enemies. Akira’s in one piece but can’t stop wondering why the Death Army wants the Star of La Mu.

Johji’s impressed with the Nahel Argama – we really are as strong as the rumor’s say. He decides to take off before his cover is blown.
“Is there some hope left inside Pandora’s Box, I wonder?”

Higashiyama thanks Bright for the assist but, of course, that’s not necessary. He does want to know more about that Star of La Mu, though. Hibiki explains the Star is a relic of the Mu Empir, and both the source of the Mutron super-energy and a device for unleashing it.
He tells Bright to think of it as the "soul" of Mutron Energy (which Vega thinks sounds much like some other object she knows of) but Misato wants to know in concrete terms what it can do. Hibiki says that while the entirety of Mutron Energy has yet to be explained, it caused Raideen to grow massive in the final battle against Barao of the Devil Empire, enabling it to be victorious. Ergo, Hibiki thinks it holds tremendous power.

This whole giant-ification reminds Misato of a “giant of light” that she saw at the South Pole way back when. As for why the Argo and Chibodee clones would be after it, Rain figures they want to use the Star to fuel the revival of the Devil Gundam – if it holds as much power as Hibiki said, it might be possible to use the Mutron Energy to supercharge the DG Cells.
And what if the Devil Gundam takes the Star of La Mu as a power source? It’d grow FAR more powerful than before. Vega asks where the thing currently is and Hibiki says sealed away somewhere by his late wife, who’d reawakened as Lemuria, princess of the Mu Empire.
Mind, he doesn’t know WHERE she sealed it – only that it’s not here. Vega seems bothered.

Ryouma and Akira are getting reacquainted, with him being thankful for our help. Par for the course, thinks Ryouma, seeing how they helped each other in their past battles.
Asuka steps over to meet with Raideen’s pilot and, also, introduces herself as the EVA-02’s owner. Akira’s a bit taken aback, seeing how she’s just a kid and, of course, Asuka doesn’t like that: “What’s that supposed to mean, huh? And you’re about my age, are you not?! Kids don’t get to treat others like kids, kid!” (Yes, Akira’s 15-years-old)
Shinji tries salvaging this first encounter but she just yells at him to shut it. Akira, meanwhile, laughs at this: “A cute face and a really sharp tongue. You’re pretty much another Mari.”
Now it’s Mari’s turn to get in his face and Asuka isn’t placated either – saying she’s cute doesn’t excuse anything else!

As Akira sighs, Shinji sees that they both have similar problems to deal with; he takes the time to properly introduce himself. Regardless, Akira IS pretty surprised to find that folks around his age are piloting the Evangelions.
That surprise doubles when Kouji tells him of the Dendoh’s grade schooler pilots – he and Mari are high schoolers, and Kouji quietly figures Aqua would get depressed again if she heard that.
Shinji asks Akira why he ended up fighting in Raideen, and after a pause Akira tells him that a year ago when the Devil Empire appeared he heard a voice calling him: "Awaken, hero - thy destined time is come."

After that, he started fighting the Devil Empire’s fossil beasts with the bot. “I was very unsure at first but… that was the fate I was given,” he says. Shinji seems bothered by this fate talk.
Regardless, Akira and Mari will be taking this opportunity to join our crew – Ryouma’s glad to have him aboard.

: So?
: There’s no corresponding data but the six-legged units we fought are definitely Earth-made. Problem is, figuring out the manufacturer from just the fragments we recovered is… yeah.
: I see…
: Ms. Aqua, didn’t you say something about those machines reminding you of something?
: Yeah. I’ve brought some data, just to make sure…

*Beep.*

: What’s this?
: The very first prototype developed by our project.
: Is it a TE Absorber, then?
: No, models #1 through #5, the Medius, weren’t equipped with a TE Engine.
: Hmm… Yeah, I see it. The legs, for instance, of those units are similar to this Model #1’s.
: But the Model #1’s long gone by now… And the fact so many of them showed up is just as weird.
: The lone prototype’s been mass-produced, you think?
: For what reason, then…?
: (Was it Prof. Zapato… Rather, the Medius’ thieves who sent those things?)

Brunom1 fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Jan 17, 2017

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

It's super annoying how Evangelion never has good BGMs despite having some rad themes, it's like how Zeta Gundam never uses "mizu no hoshi e ai wo komete" and instead goes for boring-as-poo poo MS in the Flash and G Gundam settles for King of Hearts (it's okay, but remember the alternatives are Flying in the Sky and Trust You Forever). And then you get stuff like Gaogaigar in W or Macross Frontier where they just load up the soundtrack with great stuff. I assume the difference is that in the latter cases, the license holders for the music are giving them a good deal (not surprising in Gaogaigar's case, since all the music there was written by Friend of the Series Masaaki Endoh).

MX, to its credit, is literally the best game in the franchise in terms of Evangelion BGMs, but I recall the lack of BGM switch ruining it.

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013

There's just a pile of motorcycles at the bottom of the sea, isn't there?

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

Montegoraon posted:

This is the exact post I was going to make! :argh:

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

EclecticTastes posted:

It's super annoying how Evangelion never has good BGMs despite having some rad themes, it's like how Zeta Gundam never uses "mizu no hoshi e ai wo komete" and instead goes for boring-as-poo poo MS in the Flash and G Gundam settles for King of Hearts (it's okay, but remember the alternatives are Flying in the Sky and Trust You Forever). And then you get stuff like Gaogaigar in W or Macross Frontier where they just load up the soundtrack with great stuff. I assume the difference is that in the latter cases, the license holders for the music are giving them a good deal (not surprising in Gaogaigar's case, since all the music there was written by Friend of the Series Masaaki Endoh).
More or less, yes. Zeta Gundam in particular is a doozy because apparently the rights holder to both OP songs is an American composer (or production company, I forget which) who is a tremendously petty rear end in a top hat when it comes to the rights and has made it clear he's sitting on them until he's six feet in the ground. A Portable had to sub out the Zeta Gundam OP music that was in the original GBA game for one of the overused BGM tracks because of this mess. The only explanation I can think of as to why Lantis Records got the chance to do covers for the 2009 Gundam tribute album was because they sent out a dump truck full of money to the rights holder and it was enough to win him over.

Music rights in Japan are an abyss of red tape and strict dealings, which affects things like SRW's music catalog. As much as the RIAA here in the U.S. are shitlords when it comes to music rights, their Japanese counterparts are just as bad, if not worse in some cases.

Montegoraon posted:

Not shown: Vega putting added security on her own motorcycle to prevent Akira from "borrowing" it in a crisis.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

AradoBalanga posted:

Not shown: Vega putting added security on her own motorcycle to prevent Akira from "borrowing" it in a crisis.

If Vega's learned anything from this, is that you can fit a Minovsky Craft onto a bike. Akira will never have to buy new ones again and Mutropolis will save hundreds of thousands of bucks every month. :toot:

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

EclecticTastes posted:

MX, to its credit, is literally the best game in the franchise in terms of Evangelion BGMs, but I recall the lack of BGM switch ruining it.
The PSP port allows you to change tracks at least, though you're limited to what you've already heard in the game. No using MP3's a la Z3 as far as I can tell.

Jegan
Nov 5, 2009
Vega's bike already hovers.

Does Scan show the retreat percentage for enemies in this, or is that just the PSP version? Also items held and money/pp received.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Jegan posted:

Vega's bike already hovers.

Does Scan show the retreat percentage for enemies in this, or is that just the PSP version? Also items held and money/pp received.

That's in this version, too... though I always forget because I don't think Scan does that anywhere else! :v:

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Brunom1 posted:

That's in this version, too... though I always forget because I don't think Scan does that anywhere else! :v:
J's version of Scan also shows retreat HP amounts and items/money held as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Raxivace posted:

The PSP port allows you to change tracks at least, though you're limited to what you've already heard in the game. No using MP3's a la Z3 as far as I can tell.

If only the PSP port hadn't hosed up the actual gameplay, because they actually do use one of the good tracks from Evangelion. Once.

• Locked thread