Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Fire Barrel posted:

Guess it's really about finding a good teacher for it.

As with anything really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
i saw a documentary on karate and it was all japanese men beating their bodies with heavy iron instruments, punching other iron things, and shoving their hands into hot rocks.

i didnt do any of that in my six months of strip mall karate.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

LegoPirateNinja posted:

i saw a documentary on karate and it was all japanese men beating their bodies with heavy iron instruments, punching other iron things, and shoving their hands into hot rocks.

i didnt do any of that in my six months of strip mall karate.

Just go to a BDSM play party and cut out the extraneous nonsense imo

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Fire Barrel posted:

I'm pretty sure that George Saint-Pierre got by pretty well with karate.

And as for cross-fit stuff, on the surface it does seem really solid, especially considering the fact that a lot of the associated exercises aren't all that new. Hell, when I was still doing sport fencing, the coaches actually sniped some techniques for our warm up drills at the beginning of each class. Guess it's really about finding a good teacher for it.

Let's play "find the karate" in George St Pierre in the ring. Can't see it? Still can't see it? Try looking closer! No? Maybe try seeing things... Hmm...

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

Sheep-Goats posted:

A thing so retarded even Moridin can say something right about it, not lookin good for crossfit here

just going to leave this quote here

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Sheep-Goats posted:

Let's play "find the karate" in George St Pierre in the ring. Can't see it? Still can't see it? Try looking closer! No? Maybe try seeing things... Hmm...

Actually it's pretty apparent in his striking game which makes sense bc Karate is usually a striking thing. Kyokushin Karate is super apparent in his kicks, esp in the combos.

just cuz *you* don't know poo poo lol...

e: also im p sure he bows every time he steps into the ring

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Sep 2, 2016

Un chien andalou
Oct 22, 2008

The pipe is leaking

Robot Pride posted:

actual crossfit is doing it right

that's like saying trap shooting is dangerous and dumb because you watch videos on youtube of people holding the shotgun backwards and shooting themselves

look, just because you have to justify the extra money spent to yourself, doesn't mean the rest of the internet has to agree with you

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
Does Cro Cop sill kick people in the head real good, or did he get too old?

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Arian_Samurai posted:

He reported he took a banned substance, it wasn't detected in tests and then he ate a 2 year suspension and the UFC terminated his contract.

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

Arian_Samurai posted:

you should check out his fight with Mir, it is a real nail biter!!

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Crossfit was good when people just called it olympic lifting and circuit training, and didn't do it racing against a bunch of other guys with terrible form, and it wasn't structured around a workout of the day assembled by a guy who doesn't lift randomly mashing words together.

Everything praiseworthy about Crossfit existed long before the marketing, in much safer and more effective forms.

Also I would fight Ronda Rousey and I would win, too.

She'd have to cut to make weight, though.

whoflungpoop
Sep 9, 2004

With you and the constellations

Moridin920 posted:

Actually it's pretty apparent in his striking game which makes sense bc Karate is usually a striking thing. Kyokushin Karate is super apparent in his kicks, esp in the combos.

just cuz *you* don't know poo poo lol...

e: also im p sure he bows every time he steps into the ring

yeah GSP began karate as a child to get tough bc he got bullied and other kids would beat him up and take his shoes :(

he also didnt start training wrestling until he was an adult and already fighting but he learned pretty fast and ended up being a better wrestler than all the collegiate wrestlers who came into mma as their gimmick

i loved watching him rassel Real Wrestlers in UFC bc after they realized they couldnt stand w him couldnt take him down and couldnt keep him from taking them down u could see the panic and frustration and despair in their increasingly hosed up faces as he methodically and unrelentingly battered the poo poo out of their body and spirit and his accent was so cute :3:

Robot Pride
Aug 2, 2010

by exmarx
has anyone said Ronda Lousey yet?

haha!! mole face bitch got giraffe necked

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
Crossfit is the ronda rousey of exercise

whoflungpoop
Sep 9, 2004

With you and the constellations
crossfit company is run by a dumpy old guy with a gut

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

ROFLburger posted:

you should check out his fight with Mir, it is a real nail biter!!

I remember watching one where Cro Cop was the one who got kicked in the head. That was a real crazy turn of events.

el B
Jan 30, 2004
holler.

Arian_Samurai posted:

I remember watching one where Cro Cop was the one who got kicked in the head. That was a real crazy turn of events.

https://youtu.be/3cdO0F7Gyag

Haha Cro Cop also broke his right leg because of the way he fell on it.

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I am tickled pink that moridin has moridin'd to the point where he's earnestly arguing for positions that stand in direct opposition to the ones he was arguing a couple of days ago :)

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

whoflungpoop posted:

i loved watching him rassel Real Wrestlers in UFC bc after they realized they couldnt stand w him couldnt take him down and couldnt keep him from taking them down u could see the panic and frustration and despair in their increasingly hosed up faces as he methodically and unrelentingly battered the poo poo out of their body and spirit and his accent was so cute :3:

RIP Josh Koscheck

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
tickled pink? what kind of expression is that

you some kind of rear end in a top hat or something

you want a go mate

you want to HAVE A loving GO MATE

*assumes tiger stance*

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
your kung fu is strong but mine is stronger

(unless you brought goggles to wear that would be a real problem for me)

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

remember when josh koscheck managed to get a title shot against gsp and it went exactly how everyone expected it would

Keg
Sep 22, 2014

ROFLburger posted:

remember when josh koscheck managed to get a title shot against gsp and it went exactly how everyone expected it would

GSP repeatedly jabbing at a broken orbital for 4 rounds after it was clear Koschek had nothing, after Koschek spent the lead-in acting like a schoolyard bully, was the sweetest goon justice.

It's really too bad GSP has never been the same since the Diaz brothers trapped him in a refrigerator box and buried him in their yard.

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
the strongest base for mma is 209

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
im happy nate diaz managed to mine a lot of money out of the circus with Conor mcgregor

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014
which martial art should i study if i want my body to become a living weapon the likes of which no man on this earth has ever before encountered

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

proof of concept posted:

the strongest base for mma is 209 motherfucka

ftfy

Sophy Wackles fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Sep 2, 2016

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
Wanna eat that French fried pussy

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Cnut the Great posted:

which martial art should i study if i want my body to become a living weapon the likes of which no man on this earth has ever before encountered

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

proof of concept posted:

the strongest base for mma is 209

this is actually true

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

what are you favorite fights? mine is any fight that chael sonnen has won. which is to say, all of chael sonnen's fights

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Cnut the Great posted:

thugjitsu

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

proof of concept posted:

yep that's him. He tried to throw a guy over the top of the cage once because he was mistakenly under the impression that it would be an automatic win for him.

Holy poo poo his is still the funniest thing I've read here in months

I just burst out laughing on the train thinking about it and while I want to see it, I don't think the real thing can live up to my imagination of this

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Cnut the Great posted:

UNATCO Skulgun

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx
I don't follow MMA much less this thread but why was ronda a fraud? didn't she legit beat a bunch of other broads for the belt, or was it rigged

Robot Pride
Aug 2, 2010

by exmarx

Internaut! posted:

I don't follow MMA much less this thread but why was ronda a fraud? didn't she legit beat a bunch of other broads for the belt, or was it rigged

i would venture to bet that her body generates enough testosterone to be on the right tail of a bell curve which basically makes her king of girl beating regardless of any kind of special training

in the land of the blind the man with one eye is king, etc

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

I don't know that she was a fraud. Her standup was questionable at times but I think the reason everyone's making GBS threads on her is because she was an insufferable piece of poo poo. When she did lose, she got styled on in a big way and everyone that hated her just gobbled it up

el B
Jan 30, 2004
holler.
Ronda wasn't a fraud. Her Judo/ground game let her outclass every woman in the UFC by wide margins - mostly because their pool of talent was laughably shallow.

Her stand-up started to improve and she shocked everybody by knocking out Bethe Correia in 30 seconds. She threw her world class techniques out the window and rushed full stream ahead swinging for the fences. It worked.

Her very next fight was against Holly Holm, who is the most decorated female kickboxer the UFC had signed. Ronda tried to do the same poo poo she did against Correia, but it didn't work against Holm. And Holm completely embarrassed her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

^^ both of you guys neglected to mention the cool way in which she handled her only UFC loss after riding on a sea of fame, fortune, poo poo talk and movie deals for like 3 years

• Locked thread