Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I watched all of the original series and outside of a couple of meh episodes I thought it was pretty good. The three movies still condense stuff a little too much for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I don't mind how the movies condense stuff, but at the same time, they just don't work as well in the storytelling department. There is no natural progression or rising action, because it is just the tv show cut down. There's at least six or seven separate climaxes for each film, and you can tell where an episode begins and ends based on it. You don't make a film where you go through two hours of nonstop combat, and then take a break to go sunbathe and visit your homestead, only to start up even more combat, and then introduce a new antagonist five minutes before the film ends.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i watched the series first, then the films later

the films have fairly janky pacing and the passage of time gets a little weird, but if you just wanted to know the story of MSG then they work great.

you could get a little more out of watching the 40 or so episodes of the original series instead, but i'd recommend watching a different anime that you a=haven't already half-seen over that tbh. the stuff that was cut out of the movies was cut for a reason, you're essentially just trading the movie's less natural pace for the tv show's 4 times as long runtime. you didn't miss anything important or even particularly good by watching the movies, so unless you're really interested in having the true original gundam experience it's not really worthwhile imo

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I watched both and felt like they're perfectly fine ways to experience Gundam

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

ninjewtsu posted:

unless you're really interested in having the true original gundam experience it's not really worthwhile imo

Or if you want a good dub. Steve Blum he is a Char, but he can't save the rest of the film dub's dire cast.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Baal posted:

I watched both and felt like they're perfectly fine ways to experience Gundam

I've watched the films and thought they were a great introduction, now I want to see the full series (I started recently) out of intereste about content I missed and now knowing about the production issues they had toward the end.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

BizarroAzrael posted:

I've watched the films and thought they were a great introduction, now I want to see the full series (I started recently) out of intereste about content I missed and now knowing about the production issues they had toward the end.

That's how I feel basically. If someone wants to get into the series I suggest the films, and the tv series as more of a "well, if you're really curious about what was changed or cut out" sorta thing.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

The g-armour sounds funny out of context but then you see it suck up time in the tv show and welp!!

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I like the dumb toys

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I'm usually down with dumb stuff but the g-armour has too many scenes where they're testing and training with it for me

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
White base going straight fron atmosphere entry to winds of war to killing garma in like an hour really makes you feel their desperation.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I finished ZZ. I really like it. I could have done without some bits and characters *cough* chara soon *cough* but overall it was a pleasant experience. Torres and Astonaige getting a bit more attention was great.

But man, Neo Zeon really hosed up. They just totally mismanaged their resources. Like they didn't even knew how powerful Mashymre was until he died.

Glemy's death was perfect, he was a pretty good villain. Haman was less cool than she was in Zeta but she was still pretty cool.

I'm going to go watch CCA now.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Hey everyone, I've been kind of busy moving to another country. Have I missed anything Gundam? Ibo season 2 didn't start yet did it?

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Kingtheninja posted:

Hey everyone, I've been kind of busy moving to another country. Have I missed anything Gundam? Ibo season 2 didn't start yet did it?

Starts in October

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
No, not yet. You might have missed the film "edit" of Thunderbolt (which is just all of Thunderbolt stitched together into a film).

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

You missed the Try OVA.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Thunderbolt's movie version and English dub was released.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

PBS Newshour posted:

Astonaige getting a bit more attention was great.

PBS Newshour posted:

I'm going to go watch CCA now.

Haha.
gently caress.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
:smith:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Has anyone in the Universal Century ever considered making a sort of Minovsky Particle minesweeper to clean up the particles? More importantly, can Minovsky Particles even be collected and cleaned up?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Arcsquad12 posted:

Has anyone in the Universal Century ever considered making a sort of Minovsky Particle minesweeper to clean up the particles? More importantly, can Minovsky Particles even be collected and cleaned up?

Minovsky Particles clean themselves up in about a month. It's honestly not really feasible to 'clean up' particles during combat especially since every battleship is more than capable of spreading them and mobile suit reactors actually create them.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So during a period of armed conflict, they will gently caress up any and all long range scanning and communication, but during downtime when they aren't being flooded across the Earth Sphere nonstop, you might be able to get a clear transmission all the way from a Side cluster tho Earth? Nice to know at least one thing in the Universal Century manages to unfuck itself, if temporarily. If I remember right, laser guided communication was still somewhat effective, right?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Arcsquad12 posted:

So during a period of armed conflict, they will gently caress up any and all long range scanning and communication, but during downtime when they aren't being flooded across the Earth Sphere nonstop, you might be able to get a clear transmission all the way from a Side cluster tho Earth? Nice to know at least one thing in the Universal Century manages to unfuck itself, if temporarily. If I remember right, laser guided communication was still somewhat effective, right?

Yeah, exactly. Communication is possible and one of the incoming warning signs of battle is Minovsky particles spreading and interrupting communication. Laser signals are the common method of communication in Particle-field battlefields but have a relatively short range. "Skin-talk" (vocalization transmitted through suit-to-suit contact, including mobile-suit-to-mobile-suit) is basically the only other method beyond psychics.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

PBS Newshour posted:

Haha.
gently caress.

Yeah, him and Kara get hosed.

Actually, everyone gets hosed over in that movie. It's pretty bleak despite the ending.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WO7gs-XPp3s

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I liked Chan and Hathaway. Imagine my surprise when the former got one of my favorites killed and the later killed the former.

God dammit Gundam.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

MonsieurChoc posted:

Yeah, him and Kara get hosed.

Actually, everyone gets hosed over in that movie. It's pretty bleak despite the ending.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WO7gs-XPp3s

I guess Bright makes it out okay as does Mirai and her daughter.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Bright is like a cockroach, he could survive a nuclear blast.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Monaghan posted:

I guess Bright makes it out okay as does Mirai and her daughter.

Well, he does get to order his son's execution a few years later.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Bright doesn't die because the UC is already his personal hell of dealing with kids he doesn't understand.

Hamburgers are the only thing keeping him going.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

MonsieurChoc posted:

Well, he does get to order his son's execution a few years later.

He still has his good kid left. So it all works out.

Of course, Hathaway's Flash takes place in the continuity of the novel version of Char's Counterattack, with the Nightengale instead of the Sazabi, which means movie Hathaway's long term fate is still up in the air. There's some real differences between how it goes for Hathaway in the two versions, after all, and that might change how things go later.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Unicorn has one of the grunt suits from Hathaway's Flash so I like to think he still got executed.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

chiasaur11 posted:

He still has his good kid left. So it all works out.

Of course, Hathaway's Flash takes place in the continuity of the novel version of Char's Counterattack, with the Nightengale instead of the Sazabi, which means movie Hathaway's long term fate is still up in the air. There's some real differences between how it goes for Hathaway in the two versions, after all, and that might change how things go later.

Movie Hathaway is pretty much a straight up murderer. He's a dumb kid who got up caught in the heat of the moment and made a horrible decision of epic proportions and if anyone found out what he did he'd probably suffer some major repercussions.

I actually get miffed when people conflate movie Hathaway and novel Hathaway because they're very different.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Up to that point he was actually one of the smarter dumb kids of Gundam. God drat it kid.

I have been reading elsewhere online about Gundam UC stuff. People seem to have a lot of trouble understanding a ton of the characters or following basic plot developments in these shows. It drives me crazy.

I started Gundam Wing. Heero Yuy is totally incapable of doing any action normally. I love it.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

PBS Newshour posted:

Haha.
gently caress.

Seriously, just pointlessly cruel :(.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

PBS Newshour posted:

I have been reading elsewhere online about Gundam UC stuff. People seem to have a lot of trouble understanding a ton of the characters or following basic plot developments in these shows. It drives me crazy.
Tell me about it. I'm stuck in a stupid debate on YouTube about the battle of loum with a zeon fanboy keeps insisting zeon is unstoppable because they blew up more ships than the federation did. For God's sake, yes, loum was a victory for zeon tactically, but you can't tell me throwing fully half the fleet into combat and still losing a quarter of it before the mobile suits arrived makes it anything other than a pyrhhic victory. The operational goals of Loum and Operation British were colony drops, and both of those ended in war crimes and strategic failure. Sure they had the side benefit of sinking two Federation fleets, butt the Federation manufacturing still outstrips Zeon and they still had enough of the navy left to defend Luna II and Jaburo from bombardment.

But Zeon can do no wrong, right?

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Sep 3, 2016

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

Tell me about it. I'm stuck in a stupid debate on YouTube about the battle of loum with a zeon fanboy keeps insisting zeon is unstoppable because they blew up more ships than the federation did. For God's sake, yes, loum was a victory for zeon tactically, but you can't tell me throwing fully half the fleet into combat and still losing a quarter of it before the mobile suits arrived makes it anything other than a pyrhhic victory. The operational goals of Loum and Operation British were colony drops, and both of those ended in war crimes and strategic failure. Sure they had the side benefit of sinking two Federation fleets, butt the Federation manufacturing still outstrips Zeon and they still had enough of the navy left to defend Luna II and Jaburo from bombardment.

But Zeon can do no wrong, right?

Don't read youtube comments, and for god's sake don't write them.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

YouTube commenters would gas a space colony given the opportunity.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Droyer posted:

Don't read youtube comments, and for god's sake don't write them.

I know, I know. I was being helpful and answering another person's questions before a guy whose avatar is a big red and black zeon flag came in to yell at me. I shouldn't have engaged him, but I did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!

Raxivace posted:

YouTube commenters would gas a space colony given the opportunity.

I would gas a colony full of youtube commenters.