Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Erika
Feb 6, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Real hurthling! posted:

did you spam shieldbash?

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

I finished it twice. Some spells are ludicrously overpowered and daggers are stupidly fast and good.
I was just playing it normally: using my axe and dodge rolls, guess I'm bad at video games after all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

OK.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
PSA for the maybe two people in the world who have no idea what Journey is:

Play it blind. Don't look up any videos, don't Google it. Just go in blind.

Play it in a single 2-3 hour gaming session. It's short, and going from start to finish without interruption heightens the impact.

Have an internet connection while you are playing.

This is how best to play and enjoy Journey, which is a really goddamn special game. This is the right way to play it.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

Wolfsheim posted:

EDIT: Actually, along those lines, is Enter the Gungeon worth $9? It seems like it could be good but it also could veer hard into monkey-cheese territory.

I think I got 50-60 hours out of Enter the Gungeon, easily one of my favorite games this year. It's definitely a game you are either going to love or hate though. It's similar to Binding of Issac, but I personally didn't like BoI and loved Gungeon so I don't know.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Parkingtigers posted:

PSA for the maybe two people in the world who have no idea what Journey is:

Play it blind. Don't look up any videos, don't Google it. Just go in blind.

Play it in a single 2-3 hour gaming session. It's short, and going from start to finish without interruption heightens the impact.

Have an internet connection while you are playing.

This is how best to play and enjoy Journey, which is a really goddamn special game. This is the right way to play it.

This is absolutely correct information. Set aside a couple of hours to play it all through, go in fresh, be online. If you follow these steps, you're going to give yourself an absolutely magical gaming experience that you'll only really ever be able to get once, so do it right.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

katkillad2 posted:

I think I got 50-60 hours out of Enter the Gungeon, easily one of my favorite games this year. It's definitely a game you are either going to love or hate though. It's similar to Binding of Issac, but I personally didn't like BoI and loved Gungeon so I don't know.
Gungeon seems to have less "instant win" items but also fewer "instant lose" rooms to balance it out. It's overall a more fair package and the addition of a dodge roll makes it a lot harder to be completely cornered and forced to take damage.

Also it doesn't go for the "lol gross cartoon" imagery which turns some people off

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Phil Fish pretentiousness aside, is the witness worth it?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Only if you like puzzle games. Then it's one of the best there is.

e: I do actually have Journey on disc, this works out alright for me.

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

Azubah posted:

Very much so if you like puzzle games, but a walkthrough or a friend(s) playing concurrently with you might be worth it in the latter half of the game.

E: There were words here about Talos Principle, because evidently I can't keep puzzle games straight in my head.

SilverMike fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Sep 1, 2016

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
People don't even know what dumb indie game makers they hate any more I guess.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Azubah posted:

Its jon blow

Also do you like puzzle books? Thats what it is.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
What does Phil Fish have to do with The Witness?

barren_sky
May 6, 2004

Azubah posted:

Phil Fish made Fez.

It's a great game, but you have to love puzzles, obviously. You'll be spending a good chunk of time in each area figuring out the rules of the puzzles before you even begin to solve them. Then those rules get twisted and turned on their head as you progress. It's really easy to turn to a walkthrough and get into a "if I can't solve this one in 5 minutes, I'm looking it up" routine. So try not to do that till you're taking a shot at the insane end-game puzzles.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
I hate puzzle games and The Witness is easily one of the best videogames I have ever played.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
I took the time to plat Kingdoms of Amalur because I was super bored but it's the very definition of mediocre. It's not outright terrible, but it's not very good either. There are many better games you could be playing.

If you do decide to inflict the game upon yourself, a couple of tips:

Play on max difficulty. The difficulty settings are hosed. Max difficulty is about normal difficulty in any other game and the lower difficulties will bore the poo poo out of you.

For your sanity's sake, don't try to do all the side quests. In fact, I highly recommend ignoring all quests except for the main quest and the faction quests. Their philosophy with the quests in this game was definitely quantity over quality; if you try to do them all it'll take you at least a month to complete the starting area. I wish I was being hyperbolic. I'm not. For every quest you turn in, you'll receive three or four new ones. No joke. It's absolutely insane.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Sad man dissenting opinion: neither the Witness nor Journey are as good as critical acclaim make them out to be.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Bogart posted:

Sad man dissenting opinion: neither the Witness nor Journey are as good as critical acclaim make them out to be.

Haven't played the Witness but yeah on Journey.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Bogart posted:

I played Journey all the way thru a handful of times to get all the trophies. I haven't touched it since. I would say it's a good game, though.

MisterAlex
Dec 4, 2004

For Blood, Comic Mischief, Mature Humor, Nudity, Strong Language, Suggestive Themes, Use of Alcohol, and Intense Violence.

Online Interactions Not Rated.
Not sure why they're not taking advantage of Labor Day weekend, but...

Next weekend is scheduled for an Overwatch free play weekend (9-12 Sep). PS Plus is not required.
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2016/09/01/play-overwatch-for-free-from-september-9-12/

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

MisterAlex posted:

Next weekend is scheduled for an Overwatch free play weekend (9-12 Sep). PS Plus is not required.
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2016/09/01/play-overwatch-for-free-from-september-9-12/

probably a lot of people go away from their consoles for the holiday

Watrick
Mar 15, 2007

C:enter:###
Free Dishonored 2 Themes. They claim to be dynamic, but I can't confirm right now:

https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-us/games/themes/dishonored-2-emily-and-corvo-dynamic-theme/cid=UP1003-CUSA03642_00-DISHONOREDTHEME1

https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-us/games/themes/dishonored-2-karnaca-dynamic-theme/cid=UP1003-CUSA03642_00-DISHONOREDTHEME3

https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-us/games/themes/dishonored-2-throne-dynamic-theme/cid=UP1003-CUSA03642_00-DISHONOREDTHEME2

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

...! posted:

I took the time to plat Kingdoms of Amalur because I was super bored but it's the very definition of mediocre. It's not outright terrible, but it's not very good either. There are many better games you could be playing.

If you do decide to inflict the game upon yourself, a couple of tips:

Play on max difficulty. The difficulty settings are hosed. Max difficulty is about normal difficulty in any other game and the lower difficulties will bore the poo poo out of you.

For your sanity's sake, don't try to do all the side quests. In fact, I highly recommend ignoring all quests except for the main quest and the faction quests. Their philosophy with the quests in this game was definitely quantity over quality; if you try to do them all it'll take you at least a month to complete the starting area. I wish I was being hyperbolic. I'm not. For every quest you turn in, you'll receive three or four new ones. No joke. It's absolutely insane.

There were two dlc campaigns released for Amalur right? Were either of them good?

barren_sky
May 6, 2004

xedo posted:

There were two dlc campaigns released for Amalur right? Were either of them good?

If you liked the main game, you'll like the expansions. I 100%'ed the whole lot. The game is a bit slow at times, but for me it was my go-to chill game where I just listened to custom soundtracks while doing fetch-quests and chopping monsters.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Invisible Inc for $10? It's been on my wishlist but I forgot what people said about it besides it being kinda short

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lakbay posted:

Invisible Inc for $10? It's been on my wishlist but I forgot what people said about it besides it being kinda short

II is designed to be replayed, it has like a billion customization options.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

MisterAlex posted:

Reckon this will apply for all regions or will it be US only?

E: Derp, never mind, blog post confirms all regions:

MysticalMachineGun fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Sep 2, 2016

KOMI
Sep 21, 2005
Was about to finally buy Resident Evil 4 Remastered but now it's no longer listed in the store for some reason. What gives?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

KOMI posted:

Was about to finally buy Resident Evil 4 Remastered but now it's no longer listed in the store for some reason. What gives?

https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-us/games/resident-evil-4/cid=UP0102-CUSA04885_00-BH4HD00000000001

KOMI
Sep 21, 2005
:(

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

What country are you in? It's fine for me.

KOMI
Sep 21, 2005
Canada.

It was there a couple days ago though when I was price checking. I'm just annoyed cause I really wanted this one.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

KOMI posted:

Canada.

It was there a couple days ago though when I was price checking. I'm just annoyed cause I really wanted this one.

you can get it on disc too if it stays broke for you

KOMI
Sep 21, 2005
Seems to be showing now. Huzza!

Watrick
Mar 15, 2007

C:enter:###
What's the consensus on the control scheme? I have my Wii version still, but having sharper graphics would be nice.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Watrick posted:

What's the consensus on the control scheme? I have my Wii version still, but having sharper graphics would be nice.

it's the same as it has been on ps3 and pc :confused:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

You can use the right stick to aim now!!!

mrEkli
Feb 9, 2004
I was there.

Sakurazuka posted:

You can use the right stick to aim now!!!

Does this include camera panning / aiming while not armed?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Woah, let's not get too crazy

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

mrEkli posted:

Does this include camera panning / aiming while not armed?

That would break the game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost
Wii version controls are still perfection.

• Locked thread