Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
Also search domestic airlines for cheap prices - especially if you can be flexible on times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
He's complaining about the JR pass being expensive; however, one way flights are at least ¥5000, then factor in train/bus/taxis to/from the airport, and you're up to at least ¥8000.

I think you can make the JR Pass work, but it's going to require you to get a 7 day one and only activate it after you make it to Hiroshima. I'm assuming you want to spend a week in Tokyo. Also it would help if the yen was a bit weaker.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

The fact that days must be consecutive is actually a pretty valid criticism of the JR Rail Pass. I'm surprised they haven't introduced a version that lets you do non-consecutive days, like the Eurail pass does.
Of course this would require the station staff to actually look at the Rail Pass rather than just wave through every gaijin who has something resembling a Rail Pass in his/her hand :ninja:

That said, I think 60,000 yen for unlimited shinkansen for 3 weeks is pretty reasonable... certainly not absurdly priced. It lets your schedule be as super flexible (there are trains like every 10 minutes between FUK and TKY) or super rigid (since they leave exactly on time, every time, and won't be stuck in traffic). Since you're taking 3 weeks to get from Fukuoka to Tokyo I assume you'll be doing several side trips. Rail Pass should cover transport for these side trips too, unless you're going somewhere inaccessible by train. Notably though it won't cover any subways in any cities.

I guess you already know all this though (mods knew?)
Realistically highway buses are pretty much the only other option. Have fun sitting in traffic in the middle of Okayama while your bladder is about to burst at 4AM!

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Taking an Acela from DC to NY round trip one time is like $300 US, the prices seem very very reasonable

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

zmcnulty posted:

The fact that days must be consecutive is actually a pretty valid criticism of the JR Rail Pass. I'm surprised they haven't introduced a version that lets you do non-consecutive days, like the Eurail pass does.

Yeah it's really dumb. I guess they expect you to just ride trains around constantly? Or maybe they didn't realize people from other countries sometimes have vacations that last longer than a week.

I also don't want to take the shinkansen because gradually wandering across to Tokyo is a goal in itself. I've already done multiple Japan trips of hanging around in a big city so something different sounds fun this time. I was also thinking about going from Korea to Sapporo and then down to Tokyo that way, but I do want to properly see Kyoto.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Sep 3, 2016

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

There's only one good thing in Kyoto and that's the distillery.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Knuc U Kinte posted:

There's only one good thing in Kyoto and that's the distillery.

Actually Kyoto is also great for learning about Chinese history and architecture

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

caberham posted:

Actually Kyoto is also great for learning about Chinese history and architecture

I don't give a poo poo about that.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
You have bad taste

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

The history and architecture of chinese distilleries

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
Stringent has never left Tokyo and has no idea what he is talking about. Don't listen to him. Travel West Japan.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

You can stay at our place in Ehime. February is pretty boring except for Setsubun...

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Kyoto is nice, but the only point to the rest of Kansai seems to be to remind you to stay in Tokyo.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Stringent posted:

Kyoto is nice, but the only point to the rest of Kansai seems to be to remind you to stay in Tokyo.

dont forget that he is coming from china

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Well, any port in a storm I guess.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Stringent posted:

Well, any port in a storm I guess.

any western toilet in a goblin camp, imo

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I like Tokyo but I've already done a stay in Tokyo the whole time trip.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Osaka is better than Kyoto.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
You're gonna be here in February?

http://www.welcome.city.sapporo.jp/event/winter/sapporo_snow_festival/?lang=en

Just sayin'

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

February is naked festival season.

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

The Great Autismo! posted:

yo gf we just did the high speed rail FUK to TOK and it wasn't bad. I'd recommend that or a rail pass so you can do it slowly and get off in Kyoto/Osaka/Hiroshima/Nagoya/whenever you want

It's an awesome trip, if we are in Fukuoka at the time please hit us up for beers and or good food. If you want

More Ninoni?!?

Also, you can take the slow train to Hiroshima from Fukuoka but it only saves you about 3,000 yen and it takes almost 6 hours vs. a little over one hour. Bus is a little bit cheaper than the slow train and about the same amount of time. Bus isn't terrible though if you can limit your trips to 6 hours at a time. I did an overnight bus from Tokyo to Okayama for 6,000 yen the other day and it wasn't bad at all. 1/3rd of the cost of the Shinkansen.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Ned are you still in Tokyo or back in Fukuoka? We will be back p soon if you're around

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

Ned are you still in Tokyo or back in Fukuoka? We will be back p soon if you're around

I'm technically in Shimane right now but I'll be headed back to Tokyo in a bit. I can schedule being in Fukuoka if you let me know when you are there.

aqu
Aug 1, 2006

But Mooooooooom
So I'm going to Japan in January but would really like to explore Kyushu. Do any of you have any suggestions for neat things to do/see?

aqu fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Sep 8, 2016

Stalins Moustache
Dec 31, 2012

~~**I'm Italian!**~~
Okay so far I'm having a pretty good time studying here at Akita International University but gently caress I am not liking Japanese food at all except for the curry :psyduck:

Edit: and this is coming from a Norwegian with the blandest sort of food imaginable as background

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

Stalins Moustache posted:

Okay so far I'm having a pretty good time studying here at Akita International University but gently caress I am not liking Japanese food at all except for the curry :psyduck:

Edit: and this is coming from a Norwegian with the blandest sort of food imaginable as background

What exactly are you not liking? Japanese food has a lot of variety. Plenty of western influenced food is still considered Japanese food.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

I like pretty much all Japanese food, but I never get my mind blown by it like I do other Asian cuisine.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Stalins Moustache posted:

Man I had a look at the tabelog entries around there, and it's p grim...

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Knuc U Kinte posted:

I like pretty much all Japanese food, but I never get my mind blown by it like I do other Asian cuisine.

I feel like I am supposed to appreciate japanese food for certain intrinsic qualities (how it's made, it's history, some reverance for the craft) whereas other asian food is just outwardly amazing and kicks me in the nutsack

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee
Tempura donburi is the greatest food ever made.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
Onigiri is mankind's greatest achievement

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Stringent posted:

Man I had a look at the tabelog entries around there, and it's p grim...

Udon and ...?

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Curry :P

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

The CARP WON !!!!

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
Unfuckingbelievable!

Maybe the Cubs will win the World Series.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
this is a reminder that Japan is good, everyone enjoy thinking about and living in and traveling in Japan

jet_dee
May 20, 2007
Blah blah blah Nationstates is cool blah blah blah

aqu posted:

So I'm going to Japan in January but would really like to explore Kyushu. Do any of you have any suggestions for neat things to do/see?

Kumamoto Castle was a nice example of a reconstructed Japanese castle, prior to the earthquake. Not sure if it's now open for visitors though.
Nearby Mount Aso is great if you and friends can hire a car and drive up there for a bit of stargazing at night.

Fukuoka's one of my favourite cities in Japan, with great ramen stalls in Tenjin, and some nice bars/clubs.

Nagasaki is good for two days to get some culture (including the temple mile) and for some champon (seafood ramen).

Beppu is a seedy hot spring resort worth trying once.

I visited Kagoshima in June; it was pleasantly different to what I expected, and Sakurajima was a great half-day outing from there.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
echoing if you're in Kyushu to do Kagoshima and Sakurajima, also highly recommend going to Yakushima for half a week or so if you have the time. actually go for like a whole week if you have the time.

actually if you have the time, go there for the rest of your life

one of the best places i've ever been

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Live among the rocks and birds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

echoing if you're in Kyushu to do Kagoshima and Sakurajima, also highly recommend going to Yakushima for half a week or so if you have the time. actually go for like a whole week if you have the time.

actually if you have the time, go there for the rest of your life

one of the best places i've ever been

yakushima is p cool