Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Black Bolt did release the mists, but there's no waging of genocide or whatever involved. In fact the Inhumans are actually working to find a cure with the current worst X-Man alive Beast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Black Bolt released the terrigen mist, but he didn't know it would kill mutants at the time because previously it never seemed to have any effect. Although Quicksilver is no longer a mutant so that's probably one reason why.

I've just remembered that Son of M was kind of a good mini, but had a pretty bad ending iirc.

trashbuilder
Dec 26, 2013

Look at all the poor opinions I have
All this sales talk has just made me sad at how poorly Nighthawk is selling for a book i am really enjoying. It's Batman in south side Chicago stopping cop killers and police brutality and I think a lot people wrote it off as "power fantasy garbage" after the first issue when it was so much more :(

I would read 100 issues of him trying to hold a city together that just wants to rip itself apart.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Maxwell Adams posted:

I just want to see the X-Men bursting out of hell to thrash some inhumans. Which will actually happen, because the X-Men are currently residing in a hell dimension. They have to live there, because that plane of existence is more hospitable than Earth right now thanks to the inhumans waging genocide against mutants.

Have I mentioned lately that the inhumans are waging genocide against the mutants?

Black Bolt did nothing wrong.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Trast posted:

Black Bolt did nothing wrong.

I think I'd rather hear Black Bolt's take on thi

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

A.o.D. posted:

I think I'd rather hear Black Bolt's take on thi

It's called a pen and paper.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Metalshark posted:

I've heard of it and knew she was in it, but Thunderbolts is basically the earliest series I've read so I might struggle if it's based on 90s Avengers happenings since the earliest series I've read off the top of my head are Daredevil from Smith/Quesada onward, Ultimate Spider-Man (which doesn't even apply to 616!) and Runaways. I basically started with Marvel from around Civil War since I'm not so into older superhero comics generally.
I've picked up a lot of comics history reading CSBG articles on CBR and other forms of osmosis but 90s Avengers is probably my weakest area of Marvel history, thinking about it.

Avengers Forever explores pretty much their entire history from the 1960s onward, but the 1990s do play a fairly significant role because part of what Busiek was doing with the book was untangling some of the knots Avengers continuity had tied itself up in, and many of those came from the Bob Harras era in the 1990s. I can definitely understand why some readers really dislike it.

Nonetheless, I read it with almost zero knowledge of Avengers history, and I enjoyed it well enough. Maybe that's because I read it when I was just getting into superhero comics so I'd take what I could get.

Have you read New Thunderbolts?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Wheat Loaf posted:

Avengers Forever explores pretty much their entire history from the 1960s onward, but the 1990s do play a fairly significant role because part of what Busiek was doing with the book was untangling some of the knots Avengers continuity had tied itself up in, and many of those came from the Bob Harras era in the 1990s. I can definitely understand why some readers really dislike it.

Nonetheless, I read it with almost zero knowledge of Avengers history, and I enjoyed it well enough. Maybe that's because I read it when I was just getting into superhero comics so I'd take what I could get.

Avengers Forever can be subtitled gently caress the crossing

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.

Wheat Loaf posted:

I'm on issue #163 of Volume One, and I intend to work my way through the rest of T-Bolts/Dark Avengers/Now! T-Bolts until I'm caught up to the present volume. I've basically just finished up reading some extra titles in Dark Reign/Siege, though I'd read a fair bit of both beforehand following other series like Hickman's FF and whatnot. The first volume of Thunderbolts is such a fascinating read with so much character/team development alongside the sheer amount of (often gloriously bonkers) plot threads stuffed into each issue before evolving to tie into more events and decompress a lot from Busiek's and Nicieza's work. This is not to say that what comes later is necessarily inferior however (Fightbolts notwithstanding): Ellis' 12 issues were sublime, though Gage* followed them up brilliantly and I'm enjoying it currently with Luke Cage leading the team.

Thanks for the info about Avengers Forever, I didn't realise Songbird played a significant role in it, so I might check it out when I'm done with this or if I see it on sale.

*Christos Gage is really, really good and filling in for/following good writers and keeping the quality going I've noticed.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

X-O posted:

Black Bolt did release the mists, but there's no waging of genocide or whatever involved. In fact the Inhumans are actually working to find a cure with the current worst X-Man alive Beast.

It's a long game genocide. If Beast finds the cure, then he'll probably be among the first to receive it. That ensures that if any mutants survive, Beast will be with them. Beast is one of the single greatest drivers of suffering and death among mutants, so if the mists don't wipe them out, McCoy probably will.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Pureauthor posted:

It's called a pen and paper.

There are no words.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I can't help but imagine bb's voice as being comically high-pitched

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values

Squizzle posted:

It's a long game genocide. If Beast finds the cure, then he'll probably be among the first to receive it. That ensures that if any mutants survive, Beast will be with them. Beast is one of the single greatest drivers of suffering and death among mutants, so if the mists don't wipe them out, McCoy probably will.

Truth. On the scale of threats mutants have faced, the mists are way down on the list. The x-men continue to be the greatest threat to the existence of mutants. If anything the mists are good because it has made them take a temporary break from trying to destroy the entire fabric of spacetime or get involved in intergalactic/dimensional wars

edit - I forgot that even with the mist actively killing mutants, the PAST version of Hank Mccoy still found time to get into time traveling hijinx with Kid Apocalypse that threatened to re-write an entire timeline. God, Hank McCoy has been trying to destroy the earth since the very beginning, dude can't help himself

Tato fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Sep 2, 2016

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

site posted:

I can't help but imagine bb's voice as being comically high-pitched

Black Bolt played by Chris Tucker channeling Ruby Rod.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Trast posted:

Black Bolt played by Chris Tucker channeling Ruby Rod.

I wish we had gotten another fifth element :(

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
Was there supposed to be a sequel to the Fifth Element?

Anyway, Cyclops Was Right And So Was Magneto.

Also I guess I have to check out Night Thrasher now because it's set in Chicago.

\/\/\/My bad, sorry.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Sep 2, 2016

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Nighthawk, not Night Thrasher. And it's already been cancelled.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I really wanted to like Nighthawk but it really seemed confused tonally in that it clearly wanted to be a Punisher book where the bad guys that get killed are corrupt cops but Marvel was like lol no way and so they just skirted the line as close as they could and then complained in the dialogue that they couldn't do the story they wanted.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Squizzle posted:

Man my memory ain't so good - when did Beast become so goddamn terrible? 'Cause I really liked that one story just after M-Day that has him working with Dark Beast to try and save mutantkind. Was it the first volume of ANXM where he decides he's basically accountable to nobody, or before then?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

site posted:

I really wanted to like Nighthawk but it really seemed confused tonally in that it clearly wanted to be a Punisher book where the bad guys that get killed are corrupt cops but Marvel was like lol no way and so they just skirted the line as close as they could and then complained in the dialogue that they couldn't do the story they wanted.

If Dirty Harry 2 could kill dirty cops I don't know why Marvel's so loving scared of doing it today.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Blue Lives Matter

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

site posted:

Blue Lives Matter

Are you Kree? :whitewater:

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Lurdiak posted:

If Dirty Harry 2 could kill dirty cops I don't know why Marvel's so loving scared of doing it today.

Fear, uncertainty and doubt?

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Onmi posted:

I mean if we're talking empirically, The Star Wars comics are doing well, Civil War II is doing well (even though it's hot garbage, then again there's always that factor to increase sales) and a few of there titles are still doing good. But we have no proof that Squirrel Girl is secretly a massive success, and they've cancelled better selling books. You know this, I know this. But there's no point in arguing this, because there's nothing to argue over than belief and faith.

I believe Alonso has said before that Squirrel Girl keeps getting published in floppies because it does inordinately well in trade paperback.

Even so, I find it sketchy that you're trying to make an argument based on empirical judgment while discounting most of the actual empirical data available. It comes off like you made up your mind what the facts were ahead of time and won't let anything stop you.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Well even then he is bases his hypothesis on incomplete data, that I assume he knows is incomplete. So yeah duh.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
They did admit to arguing solely on belief and faith and not facts :shrug:

site fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Sep 2, 2016

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Wanderer posted:

I believe Alonso has said before that Squirrel Girl keeps getting published in floppies because it does inordinately well in trade paperback.

Even so, I find it sketchy that you're trying to make an argument based on empirical judgment while discounting most of the actual empirical data available. It comes off like you made up your mind what the facts were ahead of time and won't let anything stop you.

The TPB thing is also backed up by the NYT Bestseller list, based on the excellent post E&C made. But nah, it's for unfathomable reasons, or a false flag operation to kill comedy/female-led/diversity-focused books.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

site posted:

They did admit to arguing solely on belief and faith and not facts :shrug:

Why the gently caress would you do that

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

My belief is that Squirrel Girl is good and cool and that's my argument.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Waffleman_ posted:

My belief is that Squirrel Girl is good and cool and that's my argument.

Waffleman_ is hereby awarded the first annual BSS Debate Society Championship.

For being correct.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Diet Poison posted:

Man my memory ain't so good - when did Beast become so goddamn terrible? 'Cause I really liked that one story just after M-Day that has him working with Dark Beast to try and save mutantkind. Was it the first volume of ANXM where he decides he's basicall accountable to nobody, or before then?
That was Endangered Species, which ran as back-ups in 2007 and honestly probably kicks off the current characterization of Beast. It's post House of M and there are "no more mutants" both in terms of a ton of depowered ones and no new mutants being born. The whole arc of the story was Beast putting aside his morals to work with Dark Beast and Mister Sinister and the High Evolutionary and etc. in order to try to kickstart the mutant race, none of those efforts bearing any fruit.

He spends the next couple of years being the guy standing behind Cyclops going "uhhhhh are you sure you want to do that?" as Cyclops gets increasingly militaristic and tries to infect mutant Super Skrulls with the Legacy Virus and starts threatening the US government with war during Dark Reign and etc. He basically quits the X-Men when he finds out Cyclops had his Stabby X-Force Murder Squad, then quits for real after he blames Cyclops for Nightcrawler dying during... I want to say Messiah Complex?

Then he like super quits the X-Men after Avengers vs. X-Men when Phoenix Cyclops kills Xavier. In the aftermath of that Beast essentially inherits Xavier's Infinity Gem and his spot in the Illuminati, which coincides with him finding out he's dying from [something something too many mutations) and he decides his last act should be to bring the Original Kid X-Men into the future temporarily to try to shock Cyclops back into sanity.

Young Beast figures out how to cure Old Beast so Beast doesn't die and he can't figure out how to send the kids back home and the whole Incursions/Secret Wars thing is in the middle of happening and Bendis seems to be playing with the idea that Beast is having a nervous breakdown from not being able to cure mutantkind and almost dying and watching Jean and Xavier and Nightcrawler and Wolverine and etc. die and also kind of being part of a group watching the multiverse die but like most things in Bendis's X-Men run it wasn't developed consistently or completely.

Then there's the Mysterious Eight Month Gap, which honestly the X-Men characters seemed to do the most changing during. Everyone seems to have mostly forgiven Beast, but he's also off the X-Men and hanging out trying to find a cure with the Inhumans. I assume this IvX series will shed some light on this.

If you're trying to differentiate all of the different Super Scientists from each other, having Hank be the one who goes "I WONDER WHAT THIS DOES?" and then does it without thinking out the consequences isn't a bad direction to take him in, given that the only reason he's blue and furry is that back in the 1970s he pretty literally made a serum and went I WONDER WHAT THIS DOES and whoops, mutated into a blue furry dude.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Edge & Christian posted:

That was Endangered Species, which ran as back-ups in 2007 and honestly probably kicks off the current characterization of Beast. It's post House of M and there are "no more mutants" both in terms of a ton of depowered ones and no new mutants being born. The whole arc of the story was Beast putting aside his morals to work with Dark Beast and Mister Sinister and the High Evolutionary and etc. in order to try to kickstart the mutant race, none of those efforts bearing any fruit.

He spends the next couple of years being the guy standing behind Cyclops going "uhhhhh are you sure you want to do that?" as Cyclops gets increasingly militaristic and tries to infect mutant Super Skrulls with the Legacy Virus and starts threatening the US government with war during Dark Reign and etc. He basically quits the X-Men when he finds out Cyclops had his Stabby X-Force Murder Squad, then quits for real after he blames Cyclops for Nightcrawler dying during... I want to say Messiah Complex?

Then he like super quits the X-Men after Avengers vs. X-Men when Phoenix Cyclops kills Xavier. In the aftermath of that Beast essentially inherits Xavier's Infinity Gem and his spot in the Illuminati, which coincides with him finding out he's dying from [something something too many mutations) and he decides his last act should be to bring the Original Kid X-Men into the future temporarily to try to shock Cyclops back into sanity.

Young Beast figures out how to cure Old Beast so Beast doesn't die and he can't figure out how to send the kids back home and the whole Incursions/Secret Wars thing is in the middle of happening and Bendis seems to be playing with the idea that Beast is having a nervous breakdown from not being able to cure mutantkind and almost dying and watching Jean and Xavier and Nightcrawler and Wolverine and etc. die and also kind of being part of a group watching the multiverse die but like most things in Bendis's X-Men run it wasn't developed consistently or completely.

Then there's the Mysterious Eight Month Gap, which honestly the X-Men characters seemed to do the most changing during. Everyone seems to have mostly forgiven Beast, but he's also off the X-Men and hanging out trying to find a cure with the Inhumans. I assume this IvX series will shed some light on this.

If you're trying to differentiate all of the different Super Scientists from each other, having Hank be the one who goes "I WONDER WHAT THIS DOES?" and then does it without thinking out the consequences isn't a bad direction to take him in, given that the only reason he's blue and furry is that back in the 1970s he pretty literally made a serum and went I WONDER WHAT THIS DOES and whoops, mutated into a blue furry dude.

If that's the worst he's done, he's far, FAR from the worst mutant.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Edge & Christian posted:

Wait so it wasn't even like in first class where he was trying to cure himself and the serum just didn't work, but he just took some random poo poo to see what it did? lol

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

site posted:

Wait so it wasn't even like in first class where he was trying to cure himself and the serum just didn't work, but he just took some random poo poo to see what it did? lol

There's a reason they changed it to a failed cure in every adaptation I can think of.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

A.o.D. posted:

If that's the worst he's done, he's far, FAR from the worst mutant.

He's committed genocide before.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

site posted:

ait so it wasn't even like in first class where he was trying to cure himself and the serum just didn't work, but he just took some random poo poo to see what it did? lol
It's been a long time since I read the issue and it's over forty years old so it's got some Silver Agey-ness to it, but I believe the gist was he was experimenting with isolating the "mutant powers" gene into like a drug and something happened where his lab might get confiscated or destroyed so he goes "might as well drink it to see if it works!" and blammo, he turns into furry blue (originally gray) Beast. I want to say they played up the Dr Jeckyl/Mr. Hyde side of things for all of three issues?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I believe there is actually an episode of Jay & Miles which is dedicated completely to x-plaining the early Bronze Age solo adventures of Beast, although curiously enough, I don't think either Jay or Miles actually appears on said episode at all!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

It was originally a temporary transformation that could be reversed if he drank a counter-serum within a certain time limit and Beast thought it would be a great idea to run around in his new form. He immediately chanced upon a break-in, and a guard bust in and saw a big monster so shot Beast like 12 times in the chest, which led to the amazing dialogue of. "Stop.... shooting... me!"

Hank then passed out in an alley and woke up past his time limit, and thus was stuck as a blue doof forever.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

He's committed genocide before.

Yeah but so has almost everyone in the Marvel universe at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah but so has almost everyone in the Marvel universe at this point.

No no, just most of the X-men and Hickman's Avengers.

• Locked thread