Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

runupon cracker posted:

sooooo an industry that's spent 40 years and millions of dollars in food engineering know very little about the body and made the population literally balloon into comedic levels of obesity totally by accident, but some poor schlub at home with $3 in his bank account and a GED can master weight loss "easily"

the mental gymnastics are breathtaking

sorry about your conspiracy theory

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unpleasantly turgid
Jul 6, 2016

u lightweights couldn't even feed my shadow ;*

Falun Bong Refugee posted:

I guess now you have two types of fat jeans, op.

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
the dinner plate industry is conspiring to make people obese IMO

http://www.jstor.org/stable/10.1086...xt_tab_contents

unpleasantly turgid
Jul 6, 2016

u lightweights couldn't even feed my shadow ;*

vyst posted:

I'm not though?

fat enough to be on both sides maybe?

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

runupon cracker posted:

sooooo an industry that's spent 40 years and millions of dollars in food engineering know very little about the body and made the population literally balloon into comedic levels of obesity totally by accident, but some poor schlub at home with $3 in his bank account and a GED can master weight loss "easily"

No one *makes* anyone fat 'cept the goon behind the fork or spoon; it is operator error. The idea that someone else is to blame is a ridiculous justification to remove personal responsibility from the equation. Portions, processed food, commercials, whatever have made it both made it easy and even worse, somehow justifiable to be fat. It's bullshit, because not everyone is a loving hambeast.

runupon cracker posted:

But somehow that's "learned helplessness" on my part? Yeesh.

The mental gymnastics are breathtaking.

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
"The mental gymnastics is breathtaking" is the new "You have hurt the feeling of the X people"

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

What if fat people are right and we are wrong? What if we are on the wrong side of history?

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

waitwhatno posted:

What if fat people are right and we are wrong? What if we are on the wrong side of history?

The ones being put in the ground 40 years before they are intended to die begs to differ.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

runupon cracker posted:

how do you think I lost weight?

inclining treadmills?

runupon cracker posted:

Well yeah, if he only has $3 to his name, he sure as hell can't afford enough food to get fat.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Maybe it's different in America but here in my country we can choose to purchase other food than the absolute worst food for you. We can even buy healthy food AND we have the choice to limit how much of it we cook and eat :prepop:

Am I correct in understanding that there are people forcing you to buy, cook and eat large quantities of bad food in America?

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

RC always has to come out in these threads acting like he's going to educate goons about why we shouldn't judge people for loving up their bodies but sticks with it no matter how many times is told "lol no idiot". It's almost admirable if it wasn't so pathetic.

Edit: You want training yourself I've somehow taught my drunk on the weekend self to eat carrots and potatoes when I'm smashed instead of diving into a bag of Doritos. Even I'm surprised I've pulled that off.

LethalGeek fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Sep 2, 2016

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Zzulu posted:

Maybe it's different in America but here in my country we can choose to purchase other food than the absolute worst food for you. We can even buy healthy food AND we have the choice to limit how much of it we cook and eat :prepop:

Am I correct in understanding that there are people forcing you to buy, cook and eat large quantities of bad food in America?

the PhDs fighting for grant funding from food corps do it in their spare time as its a requirement to get said funding, along with not publishing what you spend years doing

the other popular hobby of these food science PhDs is career suicide

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION

runupon cracker posted:

"working hard" you say

yes working hard just takes willpower. I care about my job so I work at it. I care about my weight so if I see it tipping the wrong way I work at it.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION
actually wait isn't runupon the same fuckwit who always turns up in these threads posting about how fat people just darn can't help being fat? if only posting burned calories

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
"It's preposterous to ask me to control what I do"

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

But what if the treadmill was on an incline

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

The Wizard of Poz posted:

actually wait isn't runupon the same fuckwit who always turns up in these threads posting about how fat people just darn can't help being fat? if only posting burned calories

Yep he's got some serious complex about this because he can't seem to get it right

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Its more that goons want someone to dump on and have decided fat people are it.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Azuth0667 posted:

boo hoo cry me a river. wait, you probably can with all that water you're retaining!!!!!

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

Zzulu posted:

watch a couple stretches of commercials on american television. it's pretty amazing

MCDONALDS
NEW DIABETIC DRUG
BURGER KING
lovely CHAIN RESTAURANT
NEW INSULIN

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

Azuth0667 posted:

yeah i see what youre saying its not like this forum has literally always been about basically making fun of absolutely anything at all. yeh its just fat ppl. gotcha.

actually everything i just said was lying!!!!!

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Poetic Justice posted:

boo hoo cry me a river. wait, you probably can with all that water you're retaining!!!!!

yeah i see what youre saying its not like this forum has literally always been about basically making fun of absolutely anything at all. yeh its just fat ppl. gotcha.

Its the wallpaper thin guise of a moral high ground that needs to go.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

Azuth0667 posted:

a moral high ground? no fat ppl just look gross and are hilariously delusional, i dont understand the moral issue youre referring to

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

good humour makes people uncomfortable as well as entertained so its not allowed in 21st century progressive society

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

a moral high ground? no fat ppl just look gross and are hilariously delusional, i dont understand the moral issue youre referring to

You must not have been here from the begining or the last 5 pages.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

Azuth0667 posted:

You must not have been here from the begining or the last 5 pages.

not the last 5 pages i skipped ahead. if anyone is trying to form some kind of ethical high ground out of this theyre just as retarded as runupon

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

not the last 5 pages i skipped ahead. if anyone is trying to form some kind of ethical high ground out of this theyre just as retarded as runupon

:yeah:

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Fat people are unique in their outward appearance totally gives away their character.

I think that's why they hate being mocked, it's the acknowledgement that their fatness shows how lazy, greedy, immoderate, and undisciplined they are.

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx
How do you "report" physical activity?
There's like no accurate way to do it
The calorie meters on cardio equipment are bullshit
If it's like "swam for 1 hr" that's even stupider because who knows how fast you were swimming

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx

runupon cracker posted:

they make food that way because it tastes good and is cheap to make

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

AugmentedVision posted:

How do you "report" physical activity?
There's like no accurate way to do it
The calorie meters on cardio equipment are bullshit
If it's like "swam for 1 hr" that's even stupider because who knows how fast you were swimming

It actually doesn't matter. The key to losing weight is diet, and then exercise just helps, you don't need to min/max it. The point of tracking it is just to make sure you do SOMETHING other than play WoW.

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx

It actually doesn't matter. The key to losing weight is diet, and then exercise just helps, you don't need to min/max it. The point of tracking it is just to make sure you do SOMETHING other than play WoW.
yes

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Some people might have genetics that make their food absorption and storage systems more efficient. Some people also might have genetic predispositions for bigger and more insatiable appetites. No one has a genetic predisposition that forces their hands to shove food in their faces involuntarily until they are the size of a house.

Literally anyone can be thin if they want to be thin badly enough. Yes life isn't fair and It will be harder for some people, but at the end of the day it is absolutely nothing more than a question of willpower.

But at the end of the day, this discussion doesn't really matter too much either way. You can complain about how unfair life is all you want but it won't help you climb stairs any easier or put any more beautiful people in your bed with you at night.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Sep 2, 2016

BIG PUFFY NIPS
Mar 7, 2007

College Slice

runupon cracker posted:

you realize these food "engineers" are just doing the same thing as the poor schlub pouring an oz of cream and 6 sugars in his coffee right? if they had to spend 40 years and millions of dollars to figure that one out then i really dont think theyre the authority you wanna appeal to

Azuth0667 posted:

lmao

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I have a thin butt. :smith:

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

squats will be your salvation

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
UHM EXCUSE ME I WORK OUT EVERY MORNING BEFORE WORK AND IM STILL NOT LOSING WEIGHT

BIG PUFFY NIPS
Mar 7, 2007

College Slice

kazr posted:

interesting study that proves having a flat rear end is genetic

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

kazr posted:

Oh i poop a lot. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sialia
Feb 12, 2016

GreatGreen posted:

Some people might have genetics that make their food absorption and storage systems more efficient. Some people also might have genetic predispositions for bigger and more insatiable appetites. No one has a genetic predisposition that forces their hands to shove food in their faces involuntarily until they are the size of a house.

Literally anyone can be thin if they want to be thin badly enough. Yes life isn't fair and It will be harder for some people, but at the end of the day it is absolutely nothing more than a question of willpower.

But at the end of the day, this discussion doesn't really matter too much either way. You can complain about how unfair life is all you want but it won't help you climb stairs any easier or put any more beautiful people in your bed with you at night.

I think as well this depends on mental health issues. Depression makes it harder to have willpower. It's like a battle in which you are defeated before you start, you just haven't realised until two days in you say gently caress it and buy a chocolate bar. Then because you bought one yesterday what harm will it do today? And so on/so fourth until you are piling sugar on all your food again. On top of that the being fat causes depression as well.

There is also the issue of people who don't understand what is and is not bad for their bodies. You get people that will drink fruit juices instead of soft drinks thinking they are being healthy when they are just continuing to put sugar in their bodies. And then when they have been 'dieting' that way for a while and notice no change they perceive the fact they haven't lost weight as this all being far too hard because as far as they know they have done everything right. It leaves them feeling helpless, when really if they just drank water it may have done something.

It's a very complex issue, but in the end, yes, anyone can lose weight. They do have to educate themselves, and they have to defeat negative mental mindsets. There are so many potholes for failure, it's hardly a surprise that some people just keep growing bigger.

• Locked thread