Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

peter gabriel posted:

Oddly this video has just come to light which I found interesting, it's just another world

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pf7vKfg6qeg

When we think about old guitars it's hard to imagine how they were made and made so differently to now, even Fenders

"Oh, just gonna work this heavy machinery shirtless without ear protection." - Guy in a 1957 factory

Kinda weird how a modern CNC machine replaces like 30 people in that video (and greatly increases throughput)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

peter gabriel posted:

Oddly this video has just come to light which I found interesting, it's just another world

When we think about old guitars it's hard to imagine how they were made and made so differently to now, even Fenders

Other than the lack of CNC machines and safety gear for the paint booths :wtc: it's pretty similar to how modern day custom shops and the cheapo Indian and southeast Asian factories operate.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

William F Cuckley posted:

it's pretty similar to how modern day custom shops and the cheapo Indian and southeast Asian factories operate.

Yeah that crossed my mind too!

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
The only difference between the 2016 and 2017 models are slightly hotter pickups and $100.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I'm not upset, just a very wry smile at it - I can't justify paying £1200 for a factory-run guitar, but £689 is close to MiM Strat territory here in the UK and having played one at Andertons last week I think it's fantastic.

The pickups sounded super hot and compressed the Kemper 'Marshall' profile I was using to hell and back, so i can't imagine how much hotter the '17's would be?

EDIT: They're still 496R and 500T?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Anyone know what kind of plastic control cavity covers are made from?

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

2017 explorer has 496R and 496T (???) pickups.

Also worthy of note on the 2007 model line is that the SG is almost back to 2013 spec: small guard, slim taper neck, 57 Classics, OHSC included... But with full-size Grover Roto-Grips on the headstock. Hope people like neck dive! Those drat things are like 10+ oz a set, Klusons are like half that or less.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Schpyder posted:

2017 explorer has 496R and 496T (???) pickups.

Not sure bro:

https://www.andertons.co.uk/p/DSX17EBCH1/solid-body-electric-guitars/gibson-usa-explorer-t-2017-ebony

Andertons Page for 2017 Explorer posted:

Pickups and Electronics
496R and 500T humbuckers. 2 volumes, 1 master tone, 1 toggle switch

https://www.andertons.co.uk/p/DSXRCHCH1/solid-body-electric-guitars/gibson-2016-explorer-traditional-spec-in-cherry

Andertons Page for 2016 Explorer posted:

Fitted out of the factory you have the 496R and 500T pickups which both have a more modern voicing thanks to a ceramic magnet that helps you get the best high gain tone possible

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Huh, was reading the specs on the MF page, which was linked on TGP. Guess we'll have to wait and see what Gibbo's official specs pages says.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Yeah I dunno I don't have a point of reference but every Les Paul/Explorer I have played has had that gnarly screaming driven sound so it's all good bro. Guess this puts paid to getting sinners for the Strat for a while :)

Quoting this again beacuse it's amazing tho:

peter gabriel posted:

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

muike posted:

Anyone know what kind of plastic control cavity covers are made from?

PVC usually

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Southern Heel posted:

OK so I waas going to buy some Sinners but then the BKP site decided to chuck on an extra 20% for VAT so out of principle gently caress that noise. Decided to go with an MXR Micro Amp+ to get the strat at the same output level as my Jackson/Ibanez. I've also decided to sell a bunch of poo poo:

Seymour Duncan Vapor Trail Delay
In the jam-booth in Andertons it sounded amazing - modulation on the delay sounded spacey and really soulful - but playing it through my home rig I just couldn't make it sound anything but overbearing. It would be either all-but-imperceptable or just take over entirely. It was the nicest sounding of the Ibanez Chorus and the MXR Carbon Copy too, so I think I just need to accept that delay doesn't have a place in my sound.

Ibanez TS Mini
I got this to push a Micro Dark, and sounded OK through my Crush 120H but never spectacular. It also didn't particularly place nice with either my JHS AT or the MXR 5150 - just flubbed all the midrange. I realised that I only ever used it with the drive channel on the Orange, and that itself has more than enough gain by itself.

TC Hall of Fame Reverb Mini
I toneprinted a few settings onto this and the only thing that was remotely interesting was the Steve Vai Ocean reverb, but after sitting there and A/B'ing against the built-in reverb on the 120H I just couldn't justify it being there at all. Maybe I'll regret it if I get an amp without built-in reverb but it seems I could better served with something like a Neunaber Immerse if I really needed Reverb as part of 'my sound'.

Buy them anywaaaaayyyyyy they're really good sounding

E: seriously they hold definition so well.

Update: I sent the neck one I went dumb on back to be repaired :saddowns:

Shugojin fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Sep 2, 2016

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I have a very strong aversion to being nickel-and-dimed and slapping on that extra £35 on at the last moment has rubbed me the wrong way for now.

I'm going to see how this Micro Amp does me for purely volume equivalency, and then re-evaluate. It's already got a set of US Hot Rod pickups in it so they're not deficient in tone, just output.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

think rustoleum clear would work well on that?

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

It should be fine it might wear off eventually. Then you just call it a relic and charge double for it if you ever sell it.
This is krylon fusion red on a el cheap-o Tele pickguard for a project guitar in working on right now.
The new rustolium claims it's good on plastic as well. I had this krylon in red on hand already though. The rest of the guitar is all rustolium.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I just need it to make a protective layer over a cavity cover...I got it signed, even though i've literally never cared about signatures before

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

In that case be careful with whatever you do. A lot of spary paints will dissolve sharpie (I'm assuming it's signed in sharpie) I'd probably just get another cover and put the signed one in a frame or something you can hang on the wall.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Thumposaurus posted:

In that case be careful with whatever you do. A lot of spary paints will dissolve sharpie (I'm assuming it's signed in sharpie) I'd probably just get another cover and put the signed one in a frame or something you can hang on the wall.

That's what I'd do too, get that bad boy framed :)

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
it's going back on the guitar either way i just don't want the ink to rub off on my clothes. not smudging them is a bonus

e: i've got an acrylic self-leveling solution that'll probably work well ont his now that i think about it. no acetone to dissolve the ink.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

muike posted:

I just need it to make a protective layer over a cavity cover...I got it signed, even though i've literally never cared about signatures before

get a super thin piece of transparent acrylic / whatever and cut a top layer pick guard to go over it!

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Southern Heel posted:

I have a very strong aversion to being nickel-and-dimed and slapping on that extra £35 on at the last moment has rubbed me the wrong way for now.

I'm going to see how this Micro Amp does me for purely volume equivalency, and then re-evaluate. It's already got a set of US Hot Rod pickups in it so they're not deficient in tone, just output.

The weird thing is that they said the prices were inclusive of VAT

Then again I was actually charged the same price as quoted on the page despite being outside the UK entirely I just didn't care too much since was still about par for boutique pickup pricing

Gnumonic
Dec 11, 2005

Maybe you thought I was the Packard Goose?
I love EMGs, but I hate batteries. Anyone here have experience with passives that are designed to sound like actives? I'm only aware of the D-Activators and BKP Blackhawks. Some youtube demos sound close, but I tend not to trust those.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Shugojin posted:

Brief sinners review:

The good: Holy poo poo the sound. Like the distortion is good but the harmonics on the cleans are just blowing me away like holy shiiiiit. You need a light picking and use of the volume but you can get the most shimmery sounds like holy gently caress. I'll do some demos at some point after I fix:

The bad: Yeah so I maaaaay have derped the gently caress out on how single coil covers work and broken the windings on the neck so it doesn't work and am gonna have to pay them to rewind it unless they feel like being nice to dumb ol me but even if they don't that's fine because it's my fault.

The ugly: black covers on pearloid pickguard but I love it anyway

Overall: Yeah no these are gonna stay in this and I'm gonna have to come up with some other plan for the project guitar.

Ugh gently caress I want these.

Gnumonic posted:

I love EMGs, but I hate batteries. Anyone here have experience with passives that are designed to sound like actives? I'm only aware of the D-Activators and BKP Blackhawks. Some youtube demos sound close, but I tend not to trust those.

Is changing a battery once a year really that big of a deal? I mean honestly I'm the same way entirely but it's such a non issue in reality.

Thorpe
Feb 14, 2007

RELEASE THE KITTIES
I just switched out the Air Norton/Tone Zone set that came stock on my ibanez to a set of Titans. I didn't really care for the original set, but these I like a lot. Inner coil split position sounds so good

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Thorpe posted:

I just switched out the Air Norton/Tone Zone set that came stock on my ibanez to a set of Titans. I didn't really care for the original set, but these I like a lot. Inner coil split position sounds so good

It's been said before, but that is one gorgeous guitar.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

lilljonas posted:

It's been said before, but that is one gorgeous guitar.

:agreed:

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Two questions:

When you started listening to trve kvlt music and not Top 40 / what someone else wanted, what album was it?

Also, when you were a kid (or a young person just being exposed to music as something beyond what's on daddy's radio) what did you think a guitar would look like?

Mine was Alice Cooper / Constrictor - guitar was a Flying V.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Southern Heel posted:

Two questions:

When you started listening to trve kvlt music and not Top 40 / what someone else wanted, what album was it?

Also, when you were a kid (or a young person just being exposed to music as something beyond what's on daddy's radio) what did you think a guitar would look like?

Mine was Alice Cooper / Constrictor - guitar was a Flying V.

When I was a kid I liked Talking Heads, and oddly Jean Michel Jarre ha ha
The reason for this is me and a pal back then got vinyl loaned to us all the time from his cool older cousin, so we'd be rocking out to Madness, The Smiths and whatever instead of the pop chart stuff.
Before that I was brought up on rock n roll mainly, my Dad loved Jerry Lee Lewis, Eddie Cochran and all those guys so my idea of a guitar as a kid would have come from that, the whole Carl Perkins style.

The first time I stopped and went 'woah' was the Stone Roses first album, that's when I really began to grow up and become myself, that album (and a lot of the bands of that time and movement) changed everything for me. Then shortly after Nirvana happened and that made me stop in my tracks, it's easy to overlook now but that band was a massive, huge deal when I was just at the right age - Territorial Pissings was the first song I ever heard by them and I still think it's maybe their most powerful ever, it literally made me say 'holy gently caress' out loud and then went on to be the reason I bought a guitar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0o1aH0Ck3g

It just blew me away

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
Appetite for Destruction blew my tits off when it was released and I'm pretty sure my mom had to buy it for me 2 or 3 times because I kept wearing through the tapes. Most of my favorite GnR songs aren't on that album, but as far as debuts go it's gotta be one of the all time bests.

My first "real" guitar was a lovely red Epi Les Paul with a Slash sticker on it (snake wearing a top hat and smoking). I named it "Rosa" :3:

Edit, this thing. But mine had black humbuckers:

fullroundaction fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Sep 3, 2016

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
My first guitar was a Marlin Strat, it was poo poo but it was mine, pretty much this:

But white.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

To me "a guitar" always either looked vaguely like a semihollow gibson because my dad is a rock and roll fan and my childhood soundtrack consisted of Chuck Berry, Sam The Sham, etc.

First "I want to be that guy and obviosuly to do that I'll need that guitar" moment was hearing Slash on Appetite for Destruction (yeah, the whole album, my cousing played it for me and I just sat and listened and was amazed. I was probably 8 or 9). So even though it's not really my thing any more, a sunburst Les Paul is probably the guitar I'd have if someone said "you can have any guitar, but only one".

My first guitar was a nylon stringed acoustic and between that and the awful lessons I didn't play again for like 3 years*. Bought a knockoff strat with money from my first after-school job, and it was so bad I probably played it about 100 times total before realising that yes, this is hard and frustrating, but when you think about it Slash isn't stopping 3 or 4 times a song because his guitar's out of tune again and also he needs to wiggle his cord before sound will come out after he dared to move slightly while playing, maybe it's this instrument that is the problem. My first "real" guitar was (and still is) a bright yellow Yamaha strat-ish thing with a bridge humbucker. I still have it and it still sounds OK.

*Nobody in this thread needs telling, but when a kid says "I want to play guitar", and nobody in the house has any clue about playing music, and you ask the loving school for advice, and they say "we have an excellent guitar teacher, buy this classical guitar and obviously buy it from us" don't do it. that kid will be 4 months into overly expensive lessons listening to "sit up straighter, bend your left leg more, turn your head slightly down" while plucking out a knockoff Ode to Joy on the top 2 strings for the 8.,572nd time and thinking "This is poo poo. I hate making music. I shouldn't play guitar". The kid will only be right about the first part, but they'll quit anyway and it'll be 3 years before they figure out that the whole thing was effectively a scam and that if they buy a knockoff strat from a pawn shop and a $5 "amp" from a newspaper classified, they'll be bashing out some sloppy Nirvana in like 10 minutes and it'll be awesome. Disclaimer: It won't sound awesome, that'll take another 3 or 4 or arguably 20 and still counting years.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Sep 3, 2016

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I remember so fondly, me and a mate both got guitars at the same time and bought a Faith No More book between us.
We couldn't read music so that was out, we looked at what we thought were 'drum patterns or something hosed if I know' which were 6 lines with numbers on them, then we figured out the chord box thing and awkwardly tried playing something like Jizzlobber using C, G etc :lol:
Then one night I was looking at the 'drum patterns' for Midnight Cowboy and it made no sense, there were proper drums on the tune but hardly any numbers, so I sort of figured out the 6 lines could be strings, maybe the numbers were frets?
I then played the opening line to the song note for note:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CuH_DugTmE0

I rang my buddy and excitedly proclaimed 'Mate, playing guitar - it's a piece of piss it turns out!'

Gnumonic
Dec 11, 2005

Kilometers Davis posted:

Ugh gently caress I want these.

Is changing a battery once a year really that big of a deal? I mean honestly I'm the same way entirely but it's such a non issue in reality.

Well one of my two main guitars is an ibanez with a pickguard that doesn't have much room for the battery in the first place, and it's a huge hassle to manage to get the pickguard back on. Half the time I manage to stuff everything in, get the pickguard on, but one of the quick-connects managed to disconnect. (And since I'm absent minded as hell, I usually only catch that after I restring.) I was just wondering if any of the active-sounding passives sound close enough. If I can get the same sound without the hassle of a battery that'd be great, but if not I'm willing to put up with the hassle. (And a new set of EMGs isn't that much cheaper than the BKPs anyway.)

Frog 1.0
Jun 2, 2001

Now with 33% less Engrish
A friend showed me how to do power chords is how I got into playing guitar. I was big into the punk rock scene at the time so with this magical chord I had just learn I could pretty much play all my favorite songs without too much effort. Then I learn about drop D tuning and I was hook for life. I use to play on my dad acoustic guitar that had electric guitar strings for some reason and I had no pick so I was doing down strokes(mostly) with just my fingers.

That's probably the same path that alot of people my age took because there was no internet back then and the only way to get tabs were to buy guitar magazines

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Frog 1.0 posted:

A friend showed me how to do power chords is how I got into playing guitar. I was big into the punk rock scene at the time so with this magical chord I had just learn I could pretty much play all my favorite songs without too much effort. Then I learn about drop D tuning and I was hook for life. I use to play on my dad acoustic guitar that had electric guitar strings for some reason and I had no pick so I was doing down strokes(mostly) with just my fingers.

That's probably the same path that alot of people my age took because there was no internet back then and the only way to get tabs were to buy guitar magazines

I can relate to this, power chords were like someone gave me the toys to make songs, it was a real revelation, that and a blues scale shape. I learned both off a dude one night who just spent a few minutes to help me out.
There really were no ways to get info as you say as well, guitar mags with cover CDs were the only real way to get audio to reference stuff to. So what would happen is because this months magazine had a bunch of Sabbath riffs you'd learn Sabbath that month.
This was OK until they had a run on Garth Brooks or something ha ha

Rifter17
Mar 12, 2004
123 Not It

Gnumonic posted:

Well one of my two main guitars is an ibanez with a pickguard that doesn't have much room for the battery in the first place, and it's a huge hassle to manage to get the pickguard back on. Half the time I manage to stuff everything in, get the pickguard on, but one of the quick-connects managed to disconnect. (And since I'm absent minded as hell, I usually only catch that after I restring.) I was just wondering if any of the active-sounding passives sound close enough. If I can get the same sound without the hassle of a battery that'd be great, but if not I'm willing to put up with the hassle. (And a new set of EMGs isn't that much cheaper than the BKPs anyway.)

I'm not sure if you're familiar, but EMG has a breakout box that removes the need for an on board battery. The upside is no batteries. The downside is that you'd have to play that guitar through a powered pedal with a TRS cable.

http://www.emgpickups.com/pedals/power-supplies/power-supplies/es-918.html

Gnumonic
Dec 11, 2005

Rifter17 posted:

I'm not sure if you're familiar, but EMG has a breakout box that removes the need for an on board battery. The upside is no batteries. The downside is that you'd have to play that guitar through a powered pedal with a TRS cable.

http://www.emgpickups.com/pedals/power-supplies/power-supplies/es-918.html

Had no idea that existed, gonna order one tonight. Thanks!

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Frog 1.0 posted:

Following OLGA from site to site whenever it got shut down was part of every teenage guitarist's development in the 90s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
http://therecordingrevolution.com/2016/09/05/this-guy-recorded-a-song-in-his-car-whats-your-excuse/

Not strictly guitar related, but another inspirational "shut up about gear and just get poo poo done" article from my favorite mixing guy/sound engineer. TLDR dude records a great sounding song in his car on his lunch break, so stop worrying about whatever your studio hangups are.

After The War posted:

Following OLGA from site to site whenever it got shut down was part of every teenage guitarist's development in the 90s.

RIP

I was at a party a few weeks ago playing alt 90s hits on acoustic for drunks to sing along to, and half of the tabs/chords were datestamped from before most of the people at the party were born. I think I've officially crested the hill into dad rock territory. May as well get some bowling shirts and embrace it :getin: