Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Surprised Memphis got cut so quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Guess I'll move my ticket over to the Cinci/Tulane train then.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
BYU/Cincy is the least bad move now and for the foreseeable future.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

How are we considering UCF and USF but not Memphis?

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Probably Magic posted:

All of those schools are better than Rutgers.

All of them.

Dude, Colorado State has had four three win seasons in the last ten years in a mostly lousy conference and Temple once got kicked out of a conference for being terrible at football, which I'm pretty sure was a unique event.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Whats with this Air Force talk? Didn't they refuse to join the Big East because they'd get their asses handed to them every year?

Or was that Navy?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

How are we considering UCF and USF but not Memphis?

Located in Florida, twice and three times the undergrad enrollment respectively, not sure where they stand academically but not Memphis at least, both require merely a good hire and not a miraculous hire to be competitive, etc.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Tulane's early home games against Southern and ULL are going to make attendance look better than Cincy's for the first month of the season.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

General Dog posted:

Located in Florida, twice and three times the undergrad enrollment respectively, not sure where they stand academically but not Memphis at least, both require merely a good hire and not a miraculous hire to be competitive, etc.

They fight for the title of forth best program in the state, have to pick through the leftovers after UF, FSU, and a Miami program that last won more then 10 games in 2003. Even in the 5-7 years Miami regularly put up better recruiting classes. How does Memphis stack up against Tennessee, Ole Miss, Arkansas, and Miss State? Do the recruiting grounds overlap as heavily as they do in Central Florida?

I doubt Memphis has a ton of deep pocketed Alumni to fund the program, but any effort there would easily trump UCF's. Unlike Memphis and USF though UCF does have an on-campus stadium and the tailgating scene is pretty cool. That said USF plays in Raymond James and Memphis in the Liberty Bowl.

In short, while I want UCF to be the newest member of the Big XII, they don't have any real reason to be beyond buzz and hype. In terms of expectations I'd say they slot in around Kansas or ISU or K-State in the near term and probably top out challenging Okie State or Texas Tech for also ran status in the conference.

UCF does have Scott Frost formerly OC of Oregon as the new HC following George O'Leary quitting early in the season. And a new AD who came from University of Buffalo. So maybe they're going to become the Boise State of the South East if they don't make it into a P5. They'll also always have that Fiesta Bowl win over Baylor as well.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
If Scott Frost has even one kinda good year he is going to the Nebraska coach by like december

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Nystral posted:

UCF does have Scott Frost formerly OC of Oregon as the new HC following George O'Leary quitting early in the season. And a new AD who came from University of Buffalo. So maybe they're going to become the Boise State of the South East if they don't make it into a P5. They'll also always have that Fiesta Bowl win over Baylor as well.

Aside from being a liar and possible murderer O'Leary was a pretty successful coach for a long time. Remind me what happened there, like, did he just decide he didn't give a poo poo anymore?

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

Grittybeard posted:

Aside from being a liar and possible murderer O'Leary was a pretty successful coach for a long time. Remind me what happened there, like, did he just decide he didn't give a poo poo anymore?

The old AD quit to go to OR State, so O'Leary took over as interim. UCF was in the middle of a 0 win year and I guess it was too much. He gave up one job then the other in the span of like two weeks.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Shook af OU is never letting Houston in now

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
Memphis has FedEx money at least

Wanvig
Sep 8, 2003

Why are we (Houston) even trying to get into the Big 12? Based on this morning's game, I'm not impressed.

Just kidding, I'll take that sweet P5 money.

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums
I kind of just want Houston in the Big XII so I can see a game without having to drive 200 miles or waiting for Tech to go to the Texas Bowl again.

If they schedule it as some stupid neutral site game in some poo poo-hole like Dallas I'll just give up.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
At least Dallas doesn't perpetually smell like mold

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

http://tinyurl.com/gwz28gf
Boise's presentation to the Big 12.

More info and letters to Big 12 here.
http://www.idahostatesman.com/sports/college/mountain-west/boise-state-university/bronco-beat-blog/article99261317.html

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Sep 4, 2016

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Cliff Racer posted:

Whats with this Air Force talk? Didn't they refuse to join the Big East because they'd get their asses handed to them every year?

Or was that Navy?

air force joining the Big East would have been the biggest Geographical Travesty in college football

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Air Force going anywhere but the Big Sky conference is a geographical travesty.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Alaois posted:

air force joining the Big East would have been the biggest Geographical Travesty in college football

They wanted to go all the way out to San Diego State at the time. Would have been a shitshow.

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak

Alaois posted:

San Diego State was about to join the Big East in football only before it all fell apart.

e: beaten ^^^

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
We already have enough wierd religious schools that are very lovely at dealing with sexual assault. Pass on air force

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

If you're not willing to lick the boot, then really why are you in politics lol? Everything is a cycle of just getting stomped on so why do you want to lose to it over and over, just submit like me, I'm very intelligent.
Edit: Wrong thread

Just invite Rice, SMU and Houston.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
Every so often, the perks of family working in politics transfers over to CFB. Just cocktail party discussions, but (based on people close to the UT/UH side) UH and Cincy to Big XII is essentially a done deal, one UT pick (Houston) and one OU (Cincinnati). UT horse traded support for UH to the Big XII to get UH to back off their opposition to the new UT research campus in Houston. No expansion is still a possibility as well

Source: Houston politicians (not to be confused with UH alums and/or supporters)

Sab0921 fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Sep 6, 2016

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Sab0921 posted:

Every so often, the perks of family working in politics transfers over to CFB. Just cocktail party discussions, but (based on people close to the UT/UH side) UH and Cincy to Big XII is essentially a done deal, one UT pick (Houston) and one OU (Cincinnati). UT horse traded support for UH to the Big XII to get UH to back off their opposition to the new UT research campus in Houston. No expansion is still a possibility as well

Source: Houston politicians (not to be confused with UH alums and/or supporters)

This strikes me as a good deal, since the research campus will be there forever and the Big 12 will fall apart in about 8 years.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Sab0921 posted:

Checks out with the rumors I read on Tulane boards that allegedly came from someone that does work with Cincy's athletic department. I wonder if they will announce before October.

Stinks that Tulane's best hope is waiting on Texas and OU to leave for other conferences now. I don't think they are adding 4.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

PostNouveau posted:

This strikes me as a good deal, since the research campus will be there forever and the Big 12 will fall apart in about 8 years.

I think the idea is that UH just needs to get in, and then they'll be able to stay in a major conference when the next round of realignment comes up.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Sab0921 posted:

I think the idea is that UH just needs to get in, and then they'll be able to stay in a major conference when the next round of realignment comes up.

Which is exactly why I don't think they'd get the votes to add them without extending the GOR. ISU, K-State, Baylor, and possibly Kansas aren't going to vote for a school that they'll have to compete against for a landing spot in 8 years.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Sab0921 posted:

I have a feeling the next round is going to be TX/TX Tech moving to the Pac 12 and OU/OK State going to SEC. Then they take away Big 12 access to the playoffs and make all other conferences the 2nd division.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Assuming the TV market isn't markedly changed by that point in time (in which case the Big XII would probably be better off sticking together rather than playing schools six hundred miles away every week), it would not make sense for the different states to go to different divisions, rather than split in some other way. Like why would Oklahoma want Oklahoma State tagging along with them to the SEC? And why would the SEC want Oklahoma State over, say, Kansas (to say nothing of various ACC schools.) I get why the PAC would want Texas, and why Texas would force them to take Tech too, but wouldn't they offer the Oklahoma schools too, at that point?

I suspect that tv viewership/cable negotiations really will have changed by the time the GoR runs out. That might, or might not, be a game changer for Texas.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Cliff Racer posted:

And why would the SEC want Oklahoma State over, say, Kansas

Oklahoma State plays football you see.

I vaguely remember Texas and Texas Tech are tied together because of law? Correct me if I'm wrong on this, but I thought OU and Oklahoma State might have the same type of thing.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Grittybeard posted:

I vaguely remember Texas and Texas Tech are tied together because of law? Correct me if I'm wrong on this

You are wrong on this

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Grittybeard posted:

Oklahoma State plays football you see.

I vaguely remember Texas and Texas Tech are tied together because of law? Correct me if I'm wrong on this, but I thought OU and Oklahoma State might have the same type of thing.

The governor has the authority to veto either school moving to a new conference but that's it

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Metapod posted:

The governor has the authority to veto either school moving to a new conference but that's it

Maybe this is what I was thinking of. I remember kayakyakr or some other Tech fan being really confident Tech would be fine back when Texas last almost blew up the conference.

In that case, yeah OSU should worry. I still don't see the SEC inviting Kansas under any circumstances though.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Spacebump posted:

I have a feeling the next round is going to be TX/TX Tech moving to the Pac 12 and OU/OK State going to SEC. Then they take away Big 12 access to the playoffs and make all other conferences the 2nd division.

There is no way Texas ends its other long-running rivalry via conference realignment.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
If it weren't for the Texas ou game, I would never have gotten in to football

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

CaptainYesterday posted:

There is no way Texas ends its other long-running rivalry via conference realignment.

Out of conference games will still happen. Those games will be less risky when only the Power 4 can make the playoffs.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Spacebump posted:

I think OK State to the SEC seems insane. Politics may not permit OU to join without OSU, but I can't imagine the SEC agreeing to that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Sec took a&m okst is better than a&m

• Locked thread