Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.
Welp, I got the Prime Primer down to the Blacksmith with the pilot, beat the Dragun again, and whiffed on the pilot's past. That fight doesn't seem super hard though, so I think I could get it next try. Now it's time to kill everyone's pasts, I suppose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
pilots past is awkward because you're probably not prepared to spam your item key, aside from the game format change

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I don't think I ever got hit doing the pilot's past. Does anything neat happen if you pick the "no" options during the past sequences?

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

beep by grandpa posted:

I don't think I ever got hit doing the pilot's past. Does anything neat happen if you pick the "no" options during the past sequences?

IIRC you pretty much just get a 'but thou must' and have to fight the past anyway.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Snazzy Frocks posted:

pilots past is awkward because you're probably not prepared to spam your item key, aside from the game format change

What messed me up was that I only had 1HP left over from the Dragun, and I had assumed that my health would carry over to the new area. It threw me for a loop when I saw everything had been reset and I had 6 HP. After figuring that I'd get owned immediately at whatever new area I landed in, it took a mental adjustment to give it an earnest shot.

beep by grandpa posted:

Your ePeen is larger than mine

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

This is pretty much the only game I've been playing recently. Love it to bits. I've thus far beaten the Hunter, Pilot and Convict's pasts and attempted the Marine today. Is it just me or is his past the most difficult out of all four? All the others I had no real problems with but I got my rear end totally handed to me by the Interdimensional Horror battle.

The boss itself seems to only have two attacks that are easy enough to dodge, but it gets pretty ridiculous when he spawns like a dozen Doom imps in the room and you're trying to dodge both the boss's bullets as well as the imps' fireballs and also look out for the poisonous floor at the same time. It doesn't help that the Hegemony Carbine, which I actually found in the actual run and thought was alright, takes forever to kill the imps and does next to no damage to the boss. Am I missing something here?

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Aug 24, 2016

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

CAT rear end now!!! posted:

This is pretty much the only game I've been playing recently. Love it to bits. I've thus far beaten the Hunter, Pilot and Convict's pasts and attempted the Marine today. Is it just me or is his past hard the most difficult out of all four? All the others I had no real problems with but I got my rear end totally handed to me by the Interdimensional Horror battle.

The boss itself seems to only have two attacks that are easy enough to dodge, but it gets pretty ridiculous when he spawns like a dozen Doom imps in the room and you're trying to dodge both the boss's bullets as well as the imps' fireballs and also look out for the poisonous floor at the same time. It doesn't help that the Hegemony Carbine, which I actually found in the actual run and thought was alright, takes forever to kill the imps and does next to no damage to the boss. Am I missing something here?

Not really. I just recently managed to beat all the pasts and the Marine was the only one that gave me any trouble. It's not really a harder fight than the other ones either, it just felt like the Interdimensional Horror had way more health so it almost killed me just from the fight dragging on so long. The Pilot boss gave me no trouble even though I didn't realize my ship had missiles until it was almost dead, and the Hunter and Convict pasts are no harder than any of the floor 1 bosses.

At this point I think the only things I have left to do are complete the elevator requirements and play through the game again to kill the Lich. I managed to get down to the elevator guy in the Forge with enough hearts for his first requirement, but getting all the way down there while managing to hoard 300 casings and six keys seems like the sort of thing I'll have to save for a really lucky clone run. Trying to get there with the starting pistol sounds miserable.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Not really. I just recently managed to beat all the pasts and the Marine was the only one that gave me any trouble. It's not really a harder fight than the other ones either, it just felt like the Interdimensional Horror had way more health so it almost killed me just from the fight dragging on so long. The Pilot boss gave me no trouble even though I didn't realize my ship had missiles until it was almost dead, and the Hunter and Convict pasts are no harder than any of the floor 1 bosses.

At this point I think the only things I have left to do are complete the elevator requirements and play through the game again to kill the Lich. I managed to get down to the elevator guy in the Forge with enough hearts for his first requirement, but getting all the way down there while managing to hoard 300 casings and six keys seems like the sort of thing I'll have to save for a really lucky clone run. Trying to get there with the starting pistol sounds miserable.

Yeah, will just need to try again...when I don't get my stupid rear end killed by fire once again in the Forge. Maybe it's something about the way I look at the screen when playing but I still have problems with realizing when I'm on fire and take embarrassingly much damage because of it. Just burned to death like a moron just before the Dragun during a very low-health but otherwise great run.

As for the elevator - play as the Pilot. Sure, the lockpicks won't work every time (50 % chance, it looks like) but you won't have to miss out on every single chest and with some luck could easily get enough decent enough weapons to carry you to the forge. I've done all the other casing and key requirement tasks with the pilot without too many problems. And if you get more than six keys and 300 cash during your run you can just use any extras you find however you like, so it actually should get easier towards the end. I haven't attempted the Forge one yet myself, but when I did the Hollow elevator I'd already hoarded so much that I would've had enough resources for the Forge.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
Cursed runs are much better for getting the elevator challenges, and I'd recommend the Hunter over the Pilot in that case.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

khwarezm posted:

Cursed runs are much better for getting the elevator challenges, and I'd recommend the Hunter over the Pilot in that case.

Huh, I didn't even know cursed runs were a thing! I've tried not to spoil much for myself about the game and I don't think I've played with a character after I've killed their past yet so I hadn't realized you can actually pray to the statue in the beginning :shobon: Neat, will need to give it a go myself.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

This is pretty much the only game I've been playing recently. Love it to bits. I've thus far beaten the Hunter, Pilot and Convict's pasts and attempted the Marine today. Is it just me or is his past the most difficult out of all four? All the others I had no real problems with but I got my rear end totally handed to me by the Interdimensional Horror battle.

The Hegemony Carbine isn't all that great. It's rate of fire is decent, but even low-level enemies can soak up way too many shots. It's serviceable against non-bosses, but mediocre all-around.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

il serpente cosmico posted:

The Hegemony Carbine isn't all that great. It's rate of fire is decent, but even low-level enemies can soak up way too many shots. It's serviceable against non-bosses, but mediocre all-around.

Towards the end of the marine past boss, I was thinking how it was taking forever and seemed way out of line with the other pasts. Then I realized I was using the pistol :negative:

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Speaking of which, I just beat the Interdimensional Horror. It wasn't actually that bad when I realized what I did wrong the last time: I was moving a lot and got into the middle of the room. The trick was actually to hang back near the entrance. That way you won't get surrounded by the imps (and the boss doesn't seem to summon them near the entrance) and you can keep your distance to the boss itself and its attacks. It definitely still has a poo poo ton of health but a slow and methodical approach worked.

Also I liked it before but this run cemented my love for The Scrambler. Really fantastic for a C-rated gun. Got it in my first crate and it was pretty much a won run after that. Get something like the Hip Holster and it's straight-up murder.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Also I liked it before but this run cemented my love for The Scrambler. Really fantastic for a C-rated gun. Got it in my first crate and it was pretty much a won run after that. Get something like the Hip Holster and it's straight-up murder.

The Scrambler is one of the better examples of how chest rarity isn't a direct measure of item quality. Assuming you get ammo drops for it occasionally, you can easily clear every floor in the game without putting yourself in any danger. Compare that to excitedly opening a black chest and getting a Dark Marker, which seems to be no better than the 20 other semi-auto weapons in the game and has an alt-fire so impractical that it's just about useless.

I'd probably put it in the top five guns in the game. Only things that are really better are guns that completely trivialize the combat like the BSG and Abyssal Tentacle, and those don't hold up as well for boss fights.

...!
Oct 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
I wanted to love this game. I don't mind that I'm pretty bad and can sometimes make it to the third floor on a good day. I mean, I still haven't beaten Spelunky but I love that game. But it's so aggravating having to plink away at enemies on the first floor with the terrible starting guns every restart. Half the time I don't even find a good gun anywhere on the first floor and have to just plink away at the boss too. I just restart now when that happens.

It's sooooooooo boring. Spelunky somehow manages to not be boring on restarts, so surely they could have figured out something better for this game. I feel like the starting enemies should have a lot less health or something. As it is now, I just can't bring myself to start up this game anymore.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

...! posted:

I wanted to love this game. I don't mind that I'm pretty bad and can sometimes make it to the third floor on a good day. I mean, I still haven't beaten Spelunky but I love that game. But it's so aggravating having to plink away at enemies on the first floor with the terrible starting guns every restart. Half the time I don't even find a good gun anywhere on the first floor and have to just plink away at the boss too. I just restart now when that happens.

It's sooooooooo boring. Spelunky somehow manages to not be boring on restarts, so surely they could have figured out something better for this game. I feel like the starting enemies should have a lot less health or something. As it is now, I just can't bring myself to start up this game anymore.

The game got a lot more fun when I stopped trying to hold on to keys in the hope of getting good chests. I think you're guaranteed to have one of the chests on the first floor contain a weapon, so it's probably worth opening both of them even if they're brown chests. Using the trick where you don't pick up any keys until you find the shop, you'll be able to open both every time.

If that's still not working out, just play Hunter. That way even if you get completely screwed over by the RNG, you'll still have your crossbow which is fine for any of the floor 1 bosses. Progress can feel kind of slow going in this game and there's some degree of power creep as you start buying more guns from the store. Before I would usually make it down to floor three and die most of the time, now I can at least make it to the dragon on most runs.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Using the trick where you don't pick up any keys until you find the shop, you'll be able to open both every time.

What is this one weird trick?

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

beep by grandpa posted:

What is this one weird trick?

The store is guaranteed to have at least one key if you haven't picked one up yet on that floor. It's only if you've actually picked it up, so if one randomly drops you should ignore it until you've visited the store and then go back to get it. The rat doesn't steal keys.

Kind of a dumb mechanic, but helpful early on.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus
The levels being too large and the enemies being a bit bulletspongy are legit complaints. It does get better when you realize the best way to save resources in many rooms is to rush the dangerous enemies down.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
I've gotten to a level four boss (High Priest?) once in about 30 hours. It may take me a year but I will beat this loving game

ElectricBlizzard
Jun 24, 2011

"I never met a monster I didn't like"

il serpente cosmico posted:

Really? The only recent patch news I can find is about Patch 1.0.10, which looks like it's just bug fixes.

There was a message on the official twitter and a small animated Cthulchu type boss (?) teased

https://twitter.com/DodgeRollGames/status/768886950191247360

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Omnikin posted:

I've gotten to a level four boss (High Priest?) once in about 30 hours. It may take me a year but I will beat this loving game

The High Priest is one of three bosses on the fourth floor, and imo, the toughest. I think the most important thing in this game is to stock up on keys as much as you can. Buy them whenever you see them sold (and don't pick any key drops up until you go to the shop--this will ensure the shopkeeper sells at least one key on that floor). Being able to pop every chest in the game will give you a much better chance at completing it. Also, learn which guns are best for bosses and which guns are best for clearing floors. Explosives are really good against bosses, and high rate of fire weapons tend to be good against regular enemies.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

After 73 hours, I finally killed the Lich. Got Polaris in an early chest which put out enough damage to more or less single-handedly clear out floors 1-3 after some lucky ammo drops and avoiding damage. Floor 3 gave me both Liquid Valkyrie and Bloody Eye, which made every enemy bullet crawl towards me and removed just about all threat from the rest of the game. Glad I was finally able to do it, but getting though bullet hell and all three Lich stages really does feel like a matter of lucking out and getting some sort of really overpowered combination of items. All the previous runs where I made it to him but was trying to scrape by with a few decent weapons weren't nearly enough.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo

ElectricBlizzard posted:

There was a message on the official twitter and a small animated Cthulchu type boss (?) teased

https://twitter.com/DodgeRollGames/status/768886950191247360

looks too small to be a boss... maybe a playable character or someone new for the breach

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Currently trying to beat the Old King but I'm having trouble remembering to pick up the loving Old Crest after the Blobulord fight. My idiocy just reached hilarious levels on my last run where I remembered to take the Old Crest (yay!), got to the Old King, got my rear end whooped because it was my first time fighting him, was resurrected because I had the Clone, dominated the first level and the Oubliette with my big boy guns... And then forgot to pick up the motherfucking Old Crest.

:negative:

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
:siren: DEETS ON THE NEW UPDATE!:siren:

quote:

Announcing the Supply Drop Update, Coming This Fall

We're pleased to announce Enter the Gungeon’s Supply Drop Update coming this fall, a shotgun blast of delicious Enter the Gungeon right into your content hole. Also, it's free.

The Enter the Gungeon’s Supply Drop Update will add over a hundred new rooms to the Gungeon that include new weapons, enemies, companions, bosses, and shrines for even the most seasoned Gungeoneer. Players will come across new guns like the Bullet Gun, a gun shaped like a bullet that shoots guns and those guns shoot bullets, and new companions like Ser Junkan who gains strength and power as you carry more and more literal junk with you through the Gungeon. Elite gunslingers will also be able to tackle unique pasts for both Robot and Bullet and an all-new boss – the Mine Flayer!

The new Supply Drop Update for Enter the Gungeon will be playable this weekend at PAX West Booth 2343.

Looks like the Cthulhu looking guy is a new enemy and we have the new third floor boss and pasts for the Robot and Bullet.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
I love and both suck at this game. I's there a cheat way to unlock Robot and Bullet?

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

quote:

a gun shaped like a bullet that shoots guns and those guns shoot bullets

:getin:

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

HenryEx posted:

When they told me to just point and shoot the guns at the enemy, this is what they meant, right?

http://i.imgur.com/KtLXPps.gifv

Yeah it's p. good

Also, see that D-Pad gun in one of the screenshots? You reload it by inputting the Konami Code

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
I know that most of the weapons and items(like that shotgun gun) they're putting in was stuff that was in earlier builds of the game but was cut due to time constraints. There was a video somewhere where somebody was showing off that cut content, but I can't find it, does anyone know what I'm talking about?

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Gonna sound super entitled I'm aware but kind of bummed there's only one new boss getting added. I didn't quite expect a total shot in the arm Isaac update style but I still kinda expected like 3-4 at most.

Floor 3 is still so very, very sparce.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Gonna sound super entitled I'm aware but kind of bummed there's only one new boss getting added. I didn't quite expect a total shot in the arm Isaac update style but I still kinda expected like 3-4 at most.

Floor 3 is still so very, very sparce.

All of the new enemies shown are in floor 3, besides this update seems to be more of a polishing up to put in everything they wanted but missed in the initial release prior to more extensive updates in the future. They were making noise about exactly this update for a while before it was actually officially announced.

They also said bosses in the blurb, but that could just mean the two new past bosses as well as the new third floor boss. And to be fair the bosses in this game are also usually a lot more intricate compared to Isaac in terms of things like design, attacks and animation.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

khwarezm posted:

All of the new enemies shown are in floor 3, besides this update seems to be more of a polishing up to put in everything they wanted but missed in the initial release prior to more extensive updates in the future. They were making noise about exactly this update for a while before it was actually officially announced.

They also said bosses in the blurb, but that could just mean the two new past bosses as well as the new third floor boss. And to be fair the bosses in this game are also usually a lot more intricate compared to Isaac in terms of things like design, attacks and animation.

Oh yeah I'm aware that they're a lot more impressive in Gungeon! It's why I said I was only expecting a few new normal bosses at best. (Though you are right that I forgot about the past bosses being a thing which is totally on me)

I'm not going to say it's a bad update or anything, I just want more stuff to shoot is all :v:

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
This is also a free update right? I wouldn't be surprised if there's a Wrath of the Lamb style expansion later with more bosses and zones vs weapon content. That's generally a lot more work.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

Yodzilla posted:

This is also a free update right? I wouldn't be surprised if there's a Wrath of the Lamb style expansion later with more bosses and zones vs weapon content. That's generally a lot more work.

Yeah it's free. I'd be very surprised if they didn't do paid dlc for this considering how well it sold.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Klaus Kinski posted:

Yeah it's free. I'd be very surprised if they didn't do paid dlc for this considering how well it sold.
It's going to make a lot of people pick it up again, and given how easy it is to stream, it might bring others into the fold. Not unlikely that it's the calculation, given that a lot of people may not feel like splurging for the DLC otherwise. It's not too expansive anyway.

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

Omnikin posted:

Anyone have a good Cheat Engine/trainer link for ETG? I'm feeling like making the game more accessible

This one's p cool, without being total god mode: http://forum.cheatengine.org/viewtopic.php?t=589057 Esp if all youre looking for is a way to cheese infinite keys

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
An update just dropped (~24megs), dunno if it's the big one tho.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
I started playing Neon Chrome a few nights ago, figured anyone who enjoys Gungeon might be interested. It's a pretty similar format, there are incremental gains, multiple weapon/ability/passive unlocks on each floor, and varying classes with different abilities. It's certainly not as charming as Gungeon though and probably a little less skill required to do well. I beat the game after seven hours or so, certainly a lot more content but I don't think I'll put in the same amount of hours as Gungeon.

If it ever goes on sale for $5-$10bux it's worth looking into.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Here's some fun stuff I just ran into: I was playing Gun Game and after clearing a room of all other enemies, the game gave me the Mind Muncher. Sweet, I thought, that's a fun gun. Then the game spawned a Lead Maiden. Which apparently can't be damaged by the Mind Muncher. So I had no way to damage the loving thing and could only waste all the ammo on it to get my gun to change, which of course took a long rear end time because the Mind Muncher has a very low fire rate. Then, finally, I shoot the final missile...

And I get the Plunger :negative: