Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

SSNeoman posted:

I'm gonna wait till the 10th of September. If Clinton doesn't make a move then, something is wrong.

:laffo: LOL NO. Dude there is no way Trump gets through the first debate without stirring some poo poo. It's all he knows how to do.

I wonder how his behavior in previous debates will come through one-on-one. With a quiet audience, I'm hoping his complete madness comes through. Or at the very least, his extreme ignorance of pretty much every aspect of what it takes to be President.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

zonohedron posted:

Okay, here's 2012 "very close" - any state decided by less than 5% set to undecided - and then all the 'undecided' states to Trump, plus WI because the headlines at the bottom of the page say it's close, minus VA for Clinton. Clinton still wins.

I don't really see the point in saying "but she only has a 70% chance of winning" if nobody can come up with a plausible electoral map where Trump wins - what am I missing?

I too find this a bit confusing, how exactly does Trump barely having any path to victory translate to a 70% chance of Clinton winning?

TheBigAristotle posted:

I wonder how his behavior in previous debates will come through one-on-one. With a quiet audience, I'm hoping his complete madness comes through. Or at the very least, his extreme ignorance of pretty much every aspect of what it takes to be President.

The first debate is gonna be at Hofstra University in New York. Somehow I doubt that the audience there will be on his side. I can't even imagine Trump speaking publicly without people cheering at every word he says. Could he even function like that?

Augus fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Sep 3, 2016

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Crowsbeak posted:

Is it wrong to suggest Hillary should unleash the hounds? Is that arazying? Because we need to take the senate. The GOP has to be crushed for her first term to be anything more then a replay of the past two years. If you're aggressive you get the voters out. Also how is this going to happen Celestial, does it turn out that HRC didn't prepare for debates and did no opposition research at all?

Hillary can't be disturbed right now. She's doing debate prep to crush Donald Trump.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
This feels a lot like the week of the RNC. Trump was leading some polls, Cleveland didn't burn as expected, and Clinton was kind of missing in action. Then the DNC happened. Hillary may not be the the most natural politician, but she runs a professional organization. I expect we'll get our red meat soon.

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

Kilroy posted:

Seems like Iowa shouldn't be blue in this map, going by the criteria you've laid out here.

"2012 very close" is different from "2016 competitive", because what I wanted wasn't "what if Clinton loses all the states she's not currently utterly dominating" but rather "what if Trump won all the states Romney won, plus all the ones that Romney was within 5% of winning (except Virginia), plus Wisconsin." (I felt like I should pick a state to arbitrarily rig give away, since I was trying for "how could Trump win".)

fool_of_sound posted:

I really like the NYT paths to victory graphic at the bottom here. It's a really good demonstration of exactly why it is so insanely difficult for Donald Trump to take the white house.

That's a great demonstration. How's Florida looking in the polls these days? :v:

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
And believe me, at the debates it's allll coming out.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
This whole FBI dump is going to inspire the biggest clusterfuck Ben Garrison cartoon ever.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/771686352438042624

sexy fucking muskrat
Aug 22, 2010

by exmarx

This might be the closest we'll ever come to someone being accused of being "Dumb And So Goddamn Crazy" in real life

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science
Trump wakes up every weekday and says, "Quick, get me the latest on what happened on that show I don't watch that's hosted by those people I dislike!"

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Thank God, the best way to get the Media to stop trying to make up poo poo about the emails is for Trump to start attacking them right out of the blue.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

RuanGacho posted:

Between Nate's "the electoral college may not save Clinton" and Reuters we have the full on war on reality is begun.

A few pages ago, but I'd just like to point out that the war on reality started on October 7, 1996.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

straight up brolic posted:

What if there are no oppo bombs

It's Trump my man. There's bound to be more skeletons in his closet than in Dick Cheney's army of darkness.

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.

CelestialScribe posted:

It's especially possible that Clintons numbers continue dropping. It's not difficult to imagine that:

Her numbers continue to drop
Trump manages to pass the first debate without incident

In that context he doesn't need to gain much to win in a state like Ohio or NH.

Do you have any vacation time or PTO you could use to take a break from this stuff? Cause I feel like you really need a little break here bud.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Augus posted:

I too find this a bit confusing, how exactly does Trump barely having any path to victory translate to a 70% chance of Clinton winning?

The first debate is gonna be at Hofstra University in New York. Somehow I doubt that the audience there will be on his side. I can't even imagine Trump speaking publicly without people cheering at every word he says. Could he even function like that?

It doesn't

http://election.princeton.edu/history-of-meta-analysis/

quote:

Clinton Nov. win probability: random drift 90%, Bayesian 94%

Sam Wang is the guy who's always right and his model literally only includes polls so there's no extra pundit nonsense or hidden factors baked in.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

DemeaninDemon posted:

It's Trump my man. There's bound to be more skeletons in his closet than in Dick Cheney's army of darkness.

It's probably enough that they just keep cutting ads featuring whatever Trump said the week before.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

TheBigAristotle posted:

This whole FBI dump is going to inspire the biggest clusterfuck Ben Garrison cartoon ever.

I imagine that it'll involve mighty lord Trump-sama slaying the Hildabeast while accosted by the dreaded S J W trolls who fail to dent his powerful resolve.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

William F Cuckley posted:

It's probably enough that they just keep cutting ads featuring whatever Trump said the week before.

Yeah the hardest part is deciding what Trump dumbassery to use.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
The 45th anniversary of the Attica Prison Riot is coming up.

A group called the Incarcerated Workers Organizing Committee, affiliated to the Wobblies, is trying to effect a nationwide strike among prison laborers.

I haven't heard much about it from even lefty outlets but I'm interested to see whether they have pockets of success. Outside Twitter I've only seen things about it on Rawstory in an article written by a Wobbly.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

How much did hillary raise vs trump in August?

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

https://twitter.com/DonaldJTrumpJr/status/771858220864434181

Christ, they are chilling.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Eiba posted:

Fortunately we have poll aggregators to sift through the noise.

She's fallen in all of them. Not to the point where she's anything but the overwhelming favorite, but still fallen since her post-convention

Maybe the point I'm making is too nuanced and I should just drop it, but all I'm trying to say is that 70-80% isn't 100%. Imagining the possibility of a Trump victory is just accepting the odds, not sky-is-falling fear-mongering.

I'm not talking about the noise from individual outlier polls, in talking about the fact that the poll results even in aggregate have been very erratic over short timescales, and treating that week to week movement as meaningful is dumb because none of it has been indicative of a sustained trend. Clinton goes up and down, Trump goes up and down, but the long term trend is that she's held a steady lead of around 3-4 % for most of the race outside of the post convention period. Things now are basically back where they were in June, when she was also winning.

Getting hung up on the % chance to win is silly. For one thing it's entirely model dependent and we don't know which model is correct. Sam Wang has Clinton at or above 90%. The other issue is that 538 has Clinton at 72% in the Nowcast as well. Do you honestly believe that if the election were held today Donald Trump would win? Nate's model is pretty conservative and doesn't begin to close to 100 until very close to the election. Obama was at roughly the same chance in 2012 at this time.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

CelestialScribe, November 9th: "I don't see why you guys won't accept that Trump could have won. Why won't you face reality?"

Just because he's too much of a chickshit to toxx for Trump's victory doesn't mean the mods shouldn't ban him all the same.

Eiba posted:

It feels like CelestialScribe's persistent hyperbole has gotten this thread to entrench against recognizing any sort of shift in the polls.

A few weeks ago Clinton had something like an 80% chance. She's slipped a bit and vaguely has a 70% chance now. The exact numbers are probably different, but she's slipped a fair bit. That's just true. (Interestingly Trump hasn't gained, Clinton's just slipped. Which is weird.)

She's still probably going to win. She's less likely to win now than she was after the conventions.

Maybe I'm skimming this thread too lightly and I'm mostly reading mocking responses specifically to CelestialScribe, but it feels like people are having a hard time emotionally accepting that slight but meaningful decrease in her chances. "The polls are tightening" is a true statement, and not a particularly apocalyptic one considering how far ahead Clinton was to start.

Trump isn't actively insulting the parents of a fallen soldier so "he's not doing as badly in the polls as he was a couple week ago" is a given. For Clinton to keep that 8-10 point national lead he'd have to have engaged in that level of behavior and the media would need to actually care enough to cover it instead of ignore it to focus on Hilary and a horse race narrative or their Clinton hateboners.

When Trump's polling at 45-46 or better then I'd maybe worry, but she he's still slamming face-first in to a 43-44% ceiling? Nope. Especially not before the debates. The odds of him not losing his poo poo at the debates is just too low. He's easily set off and if he doesn't either say something horrible to Clinton, like blame her for Bill's cheating, or get set off by her not taking his poo poo, I'd be amazed.

Kaisch's drink needs to include that it'll have dead bugs in it because "seems perfectly reasonable" is an absurd thing to say about him unless it's followed with "until you look closely."

speng31b posted:

Hillary's not super charismatic but the Clintons are a machine, I think you might be wrong about this.

Especially since the Obamas are with her and if the need is there then Barack and Michelle are going to hit the campaign trail for her.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

DemeaninDemon posted:

Yeah the hardest part is deciding what Trump dumbassery to use.

It's probably for the best anyway.

This is the same brain trust whose greatest, most well-crafted burn was "Dangerous Donald".

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Like 40 accounts on Twitter have noted that this looks like a terrible remake of Gattaca.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

I've seen enough GoT to know how this turns out.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Democrats troll Donald Drumpf with a taco truck in Colorado http://ti.me/2bLe11w

Holy crap, this is awesome!

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

The dude in the back needs to stay out of PR photos. He has an extremely punchable face.

Rick_Hunter posted:

I've seen enough GoT to know how this turns out.

threesome??

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

loving lol if they think any of these people represent students or millenials.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SSNeoman posted:

The dude in the back needs to stay out of PR photos. He has an extremely punchable face.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

SSNeoman posted:

threesome??

Crowned, maimed, missing.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

He's got the Pat Bateman vote in the bag.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

but do they have the quaaaark vote?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

yeah, I'm not sure which one had to turn down the Huey Lewis and take off the raincoat for that photoshoot

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Instant Sunrise posted:

but do they have the quaaaark vote?

gently caress, I'd vote Quark over Trump, Ferengi at least honor their contracts (even if they negotiate shadily)

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Augus posted:

Most of the sites that aggregate build in a decent fudge factor of uncertainty to their models. Nate's in fact has a sliding scale of uncertainty where the further out from election day the more his model leans towards the Any Given Sunday theory. Further most of the aggregators use national polling either exclusively or as the main base of their models, so they're including the chances of a 2000 type event where a candidate wins the EC but loses the popular vote. Additionally they usually have their own secret sauce blend of assumptions about various outside events and trends that they use to goose their numbers.

Nate is overly cautious in his predictions so he has one of the highest degrees of uncertainty baked into his models and actually has 3 different models running for most of the election. On the other end of the group is Sam Wang and PEC, who use primarily state polls to determine the victor and are almost always have the least uncertainty baked into their model. At the end of the day Nate's predictions will cover a wider range of possibilities, allowing him a greater chance of being right but PEC's will be more precise allowing a greater chance of being super right. There are various reasons that have validity for their different choices, but at the end of the day if they are both right Sam Wang gets to wear the crown of Nerd King while Nate has to polish Sam's collection of Texas Instruments Graphing Calculators.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Are those guys supposed to be the insiders or the Millennials?

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.
Have ya'll read the text of the 538 "Don't Assume The Electoral College Will Save Clinton" thing? It's just pointing out that Hillary's performance in swing states mirrors her national performance, and that as her lead decreases, so does her performance in those states. Her lead in those states isn't structural and just reflects her general national performance and if that goes down, those states become contested.

quote:

But what if the race continues to tighten? I’ve often heard Democrats express a belief that Clinton’s position in the swing states will protect her in the Electoral College even if the race draws to a dead heat overall. But this is potentially mistaken. Although it’s plausible that Clinton’s superior field operation will eventually pay dividends, so far her swing state results have ebbed and flowed with her national numbers.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

Ferengi at least honor their contracts

Only among Ferengi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

gently caress, I'd vote Quark over Trump, Ferengi at least honor their contracts (even if they negotiate shadily)

rom for president

• Locked thread