Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

Guy Goodbody posted:

Either Black Templars or Celestial Lions.

Then just go with the video tutorials. The basic steps for painting Black models pretty much are uniform. As many people have stated, Duncan's videos will get you to a high quality quickly. Save more complicated stuff like blending for once you've mastered the others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Uroboros posted:

Then just go with the video tutorials. The basic steps for painting Black models pretty much are uniform. As many people have stated, Duncan's videos will get you to a high quality quickly. Save more complicated stuff like blending for once you've mastered the others.

This so much. One thing I notice about a lot of new painters is that, in their enthusiasm, thry try to dive in at the deep end. Take it slow, work on the fundamentals and you can steadily work up to more advanced techniques.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Duncan's apparently a super nice dude too, which is a plus.

Anyone got a spare Avenger gatling cannon? I bought Renegade and I want maximum dakka on my knight.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Is that really the thing people have spares of? I haven't built a knight yet but considering the time investment I'd do my damnedest to make my weapon options swappable.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Made a mistake trying to get a bike captain going. The Ravenwing captain legs don't fit on regular bikes, and even with heavy cutting all I managed to do was murder a bike. Some green stuff might tune it up, but rather than gently caress another bike I'll buy a couple Ravenwing bikes if I can find the right one to fit the legs.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Uroboros posted:

Made a mistake trying to get a bike captain going. The Ravenwing captain legs don't fit on regular bikes, and even with heavy cutting all I managed to do was murder a bike. Some green stuff might tune it up, but rather than gently caress another bike I'll buy a couple Ravenwing bikes if I can find the right one to fit the legs.

Is it possible to just use the normal biker legs and put the captain body on top of that?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Floppychop posted:

Is it possible to just use the normal biker legs and put the captain body on top of that?

Yes.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Floppychop posted:

It is, I just wanted the cloak to distinguish the librarians and captain...kind of takes away from the model, but it might be a bit of a hassle...

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I gently heated up the cloak and flows back from captain on a bike nicely.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

LingcodKilla posted:

I gently heated up the cloak and flows back from captain on a bike nicely.

Want to elaborate on this a bit? You mean using the cloak from the original captain sprue? What did you use to heat it with burning or melting it?

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Uroboros posted:

If you're talking about the robed champion legs from the Black Knight kit, the exhausts are built into them so you'll likely want a Black Knight bike. There are a couple of issues though: those bikes are festooned with Dark Angel crap and bolters don't fit on them without some modification. On the other hand, if you're talking about the robed legs from the regular Ravenwing bike kit, those should go on just fine since they're meant to be used with a regular bike.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Safety Factor posted:

If you're talking about the robed champion legs from the Black Knight kit, the exhausts are built into them so you'll likely want a Black Knight bike. There are a couple of issues though: those bikes are festooned with Dark Angel crap and bolters don't fit on them without some modification. On the other hand, if you're talking about the robed legs from the regular Ravenwing bike kit, those should go on just fine since they're meant to be used with a regular bike.

Really? I wasn't able to find any robed legs that didn't have exhaust attached.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Uroboros posted:

Really? I wasn't able to find any robed legs that didn't have exhaust attached.
Yep, they're on the older Ravenwing sprue. Look in the top left of this picture:

They're molded to go around a normal bike.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Uroboros posted:

Want to elaborate on this a bit? You mean using the cloak from the original captain sprue? What did you use to heat it with burning or melting it?

Yea I'm trying to find a photo of him because I'm on the east coast and he's in storage on the west coast but basically all I did was hot water heat up the cloak and gently bent it under were the backpack meets and it flows over the back of the bike.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
The full process is to heat it up with hot water, bend to the desired shape, then dump it in cold water while firmly holding it in that shape. It will then stay that way until it's heated up again (which typically causes the plastic to attempt to return to its original molded shape).

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Safety Factor posted:

Yep, they're on the older Ravenwing sprue. Look in the top left of this picture:

They're molded to go around a normal bike.

Well poo poo. I need 4 of those. I thought I had the right stuff. Can't seem to find any on EBay.

Neurolimal posted:

The full process is to heat it up with hot water, bend to the desired shape, then dump it in cold water while firmly holding it in that shape. It will then stay that way until it's heated up again (which typically causes the plastic to attempt to return to its original molded shape).

So, how hot we talking, like boiling water?

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Uroboros posted:

Well poo poo. I need 4 of those. I thought I had the right stuff. Can't seem to find any on EBay.

I think I have one or two of those in my bitz. Let me dig around and get back to you.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Uroboros posted:

Is that really the thing people have spares of? I haven't built a knight yet but considering the time investment I'd do my damnedest to make my weapon options swappable.

Probs not but thought I'd ask.

Just played a game against a really nice dude who didn't really know his rules at all. It's frustrating trying to remember someone else's rules for them when you're half drunk on an empty stomach, even in a friendly league :/

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Well, good on you for being cool about it and not just steamrolling him all "l2p n00b" -like. That guy is infinitely more likely to come back and will probably know his rules better next time.

Sivores
May 25, 2008

All about that bass,
that smooth jazzy bass.
So guys take a load of the list I think I'll be bringing for LVO, what are your thoughts besides it's cancer?

It's just a rough draft which is why it's under points.

CAD 1 Space Marines - Raptors 715 pts
Librarian: 65
Scout squad:55
Space Marine Quad Mortar Battery 3 x Quad mortars: 180

CAD 2 Space Marines - Raptors 715 pts

allied detachment 1 Space Marines - Raptors 300pts

total: 1730 pts

ITC allows experimental rules so it's legal for all intents and purposes.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

Uroboros posted:

Remind me in a few days after Nova and I'll send you one too.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Uroboros posted:

Just microwave a bowl for like 2 minutes.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.

Sivores posted:

So guys take a load of the list I think I'll be bringing for LVO, what are your thoughts besides it's cancer?

This is loving horrendous and will take AGES to fire, esp if you twin link the mortars.

Make sure you're hot on the barrage rules and can explain them to an opponent. I'm still not sure if you can creep a barrage or not. We tend to discourage quad spam.

Ugly John
Jul 18, 2009
[img]https://forums.somethingawful.com/attachment.php?postid=514899866[/img]
Another sign of the GWApocalypse: Forgeworld actually has a booth at Dragoncon this year. Their stuff is so much fun to drool over and realize I couldn't buy anytime soon.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

TheChirurgeon posted:

I think I have one or two of those in my bitz. Let me dig around and get back to you.

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Remind me in a few days after Nova and I'll send you one too.

You guys are great.

Any of you guys at NOVA doing the big APOC games? A guy from my local store is there with his Salamanders, will post some of his pics he is putting up on our Facebook group later.

TheArmorOfContempt fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Sep 3, 2016

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Sivores posted:

This is concede the game levels of horrific, bravo.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Sivores posted:

Do LVO have different rules for Allied Detachments? If not that list's illegal as an Allied FOC isn't allowed to have the same faction as your primary one.

Ugly John
Jul 18, 2009
[img]https://forums.somethingawful.com/attachment.php?postid=514899866[/img]
I'm fairly sure the Marine book is allowed to ally with itself, though.

Fake edit: checked, it can but the allied detachment must have a different chapter tactics.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Is that meant to be a gimmick? I assume any sort of Super Heavy will just run over you.

Edit: nevermind I forgot the thing has str 8 direct fire that rerolls armor pen. What bollocks.

TheArmorOfContempt fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Sep 3, 2016

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
I've been getting into the periphery of Warhammer stuff but haven't touched the tabletop. I'm at DragonCon this weekend and thought to stop by the Games Workshop both to see what they had and maybe grab a pack of Space Marines and overpriced paint. To my disappointment, I get there and it's just stacks and stacks of unadorned Forge World boxes and nothing else. I'm sure some people would lose their minds over that but I wanted to buy some babby figures and see models on display waahhhh

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

mango sentinel posted:

I've been getting into the periphery of Warhammer stuff but haven't touched the tabletop. I'm at DragonCon this weekend and thought to stop by the Games Workshop both to see what they had and maybe grab a pack of Space Marines and overpriced paint. To my disappointment, I get there and it's just stacks and stacks of unadorned Forge World boxes and nothing else. I'm sure some people would lose their minds over that but I wanted to buy some babby figures and see models on display waahhhh

Atleast they show up to DragonCon. I was disappointed that there is pretty much no warhammer presence at ComicCon. I get that it is comics focused but pretty much every other geek genre makes a showing except them.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Sivores posted:

I think your shooting phases will take an hour each and nobody will want to play you. Grats on not building a samey tournament list to everyone else's though, I guess?

Uroboros posted:

You guys are great.

Any of you guys at NOVA doing the big APOC games? A guy from my local store is there with his Salamanders, will post some of his pics he is putting up on our Facebook group later.

Yeah, it looked insane. I hovered around the table for a while just to look. Never seen that many Titans outside of Warhammer World!

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

SRM posted:

Just played a game against a really nice dude who didn't really know his rules at all.
This is going to be me at Adepticon next year, assuming I can get my Kill Team together. :toot:

mango sentinel posted:

This is typical. FW is about the only presence GW has at events, mostly because it wouldn't really make sense for GW to haul their entire product line out to some con, and not sell any of it because people can get it online for 20% less.

Also, people will wait in line for hours to get to the FW booth. I do not understand these people.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Sivores posted:

You can't ally with yourself and you can walk barrages. It's pretty one dimensional. A grav drop/cav would ruin you and tau can out range your direct fire on some deployments.

JackMack
Nov 3, 2007
Excuse my ignorance, what do you mean by "walk barrages"?

\/ I see, thanks! \/

JackMack fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Sep 3, 2016

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

JackMack posted:

Excuse my ignorance, what do you mean by "walk barrages"?

Hits can be placed on any template in a multi barrage. So if you miss you can walk them back in using hits to your target.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

I assume since the crew out number the guns themselves you would still be pretty vulnerable to any sort of deep striking based force.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Uroboros posted:

I assume since the crew out number the guns themselves you would still be pretty vulnerable to any sort of deep striking based force.

Still T7 against shooting. Hence needing grav versus just bolters.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Naramyth posted:

Still T7 against shooting. Hence needing grav versus just bolters.

Skyhammer would rock these though. Turn one assaults and grav pods would make short work of these dudes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Naramyth posted:

Skyhammer would rock these though. Turn one assaults and grav pods would make short work of these dudes.

Wouldn't it be T4 since you have 2 Marines to every gun?

• Locked thread