Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

Ersatz posted:

Goondolonces.

The tryhard thread informs me that, if you're screwed in placement, you should look to your own performance before blaming others, and that anything can be overcome by simply carrying the matches yourself!

I mean, it's not entirely wrong. I had a match today with a guy bitching about what an awful team we were, and I wanted to say to him 'dude, you're rank 2300 too. 1/6th of the reason your team sucks is because you're on it.'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Ersatz posted:

Goondolonces.

The tryhard thread informs me that, if you're screwed in placement, you should look to your own performance before blaming others, and that anything can be overcome by simply carrying the matches yourself!

Here's a video of someone who isn't being pass-agg because people on the internet didn't tell him what he wanted to hear rallying his team to come back from a 5v6.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

But can't you see? I deserve to be 2400 not 2300 I had a leaver! Blizz plz

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

My post was sarcastic, which is aggressive aggressive, not passive aggressive.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Naerasa posted:

I mean, it's not entirely wrong. I had a match today with a guy bitching about what an awful team we were, and I wanted to say to him 'dude, you're rank 2300 too. 1/6th of the reason your team sucks is because you're on it.'
Yeah - bitching at teammates is poor sportsmanship, and a waste of time. I'm reacting to people who seem to have more faith in the accuracy of the placement process than they should, and offering to condolences the player above who got legitimately screwed.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
Lately I've been getting placed with groups as the odd man out and they won't join team chat. I've carried two of the groups.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*

Ersatz posted:

Yeah - bitching at teammates is poor sportsmanship, and a waste of time. I'm reacting to people who seem to have more faith in the accuracy of the placement process than they should, and offering to condolences the player above who got legitimately screwed.

Why don't you just play with a group of friends?

Solo queue is hell

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

mcvey posted:

Why don't you just play with a group of friends?

Solo queue is hell
None of my friends IRL are gamers, and my job is pretty demanding and has an unpredictable schedule, so I can't commit to organized play.

If I had more flexibility, you're right that that would be the best solution.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
Get cooler friends

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

necrotic posted:

Get cooler friends

how's that gonna get him an ow team :confused:

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
Did they mess with the POTG algorithm? All night I've been seeing POTGs going to weird picks like Symmetra and Ana.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
I hope this trend of being forced to be the odd man out stops after my placements. I have no idea why these groups refuse to join team chat.

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

JackDarko posted:

I hope this trend of being forced to be the odd man out stops after my placements. I have no idea why these groups refuse to join team chat.

I think it defaults to group voice chat so maybe they just don't notice. I don't think any of the goon groups I've been in used anything but group voice or discord

Besson
Apr 20, 2006

To the sun's savage brightness he exposed the dark and secret surface of his retinas, so that by burning the memory of vengeance might be preserved, and never perish.
Am I tripping or has Symmetra's charge gotten quicker and travels faster?

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

SadisTech posted:

loving lol Overbuff is broken from the season 2 launch

I mean I'd like it if that was true
Dumb question, where/how do you pull these stats in this presentation? I was browsing around on playoverwatch.com but didn't find anything besides all my stats/etc.

Also just hit Platinum, after initially being placed in Gold. :feelsgood:

As a D'Va main, I noticed way more people are selecting/wanting to play D'Va than Season 1.

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.

Tzen posted:

Dumb question, where/how do you pull these stats in this presentation? I was browsing around on playoverwatch.com but didn't find anything besides all my stats/etc.

Also just hit Platinum, after initially being placed in Gold. :feelsgood:

As a D'Va main, I noticed way more people are selecting/wanting to play D'Va than Season 1.

It isn't playoverwatch.com. https://www.overbuff.com then put in your tag or whoever you want to look up.

Anthony Chuzzlewit
Oct 26, 2008

good for healthy

Welp played nothing but mccree and managed to squeak in with just over 2500. Still can't headshot for poo poo, but if you can click on mans he still packs a hellova punch. Mccree is good.

I even got the achievement for the "cute" spray :)

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

Main Paineframe posted:

Did they mess with the POTG algorithm? All night I've been seeing POTGs going to weird picks like Symmetra and Ana.

I've seen like four Mercys tonight. I bet they did mess with it.

The RECAPITATOR
May 12, 2006

Cursed to like terrible teams.
Ended the matches tonight at platinum. I'm okay with this.

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNYdURz0THk

(We lost this match!)

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I played one match earlier and their weird hybrid system takes some getting used to. I kept expecting the game to end, but it kept going. We did win but I felt bad about it because I went torb on hollywood one to stall them at the point so they'd time out.

vittles for the chitlins
Nov 4, 2010

Haaaaaaaaaay~
Finished my placements and got placed in the upper slots of Platinum, about 200 points away from Diamond.

Mercy is ridiculously good after the buff, and now that I've actually put a good chunk of time into her I think she's my go to Support. I had a lot of fun with Zenyatta but I feel like I can better perform the role of Triage healer and get more use out of her ult than I could with Zen.

That being said.... I've also put a good chunk of time into Reinhardt with the new skin, and good lord he is far and away the most fun character (imo) to play - every time PINNED shows up on screen I have to resist the urge to scream "hell yeah!" at my computer and when you get a big earthshatter off you can just feel the play of the game being placed into your hands.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
So I hope everybody here loves playing against Hanzos and Meis because literally every game I've played today so far has had one on the enemy team.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

The RECAPITATOR posted:

Ended the matches tonight at platinum. I'm okay with this.

What was your win/loss rate? I have been playing with awful groups and have gone 1 and 5 so far. Every loss had a Hanzo and Bastion on the team. At least Mercy is a healing powerhouse now and pretty fun to play.

Also Blizz needs to add a new hot take/tip/strat - "Shoot enemies out of the sky! This kills the Pharah."

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

Your win/loss for your placement matches doesn't matter that much. The system uses some invisible MMR (maybe QuickPlay, maybe Season 1, maybe a hybrid) to give you a starting point for your placement matches. From there, your wins/losses affect that invisible MMR until after your 10th match, it feels confident enough to show you what it thinks you are. I think their algorithm is also more averse to OVER-ranking people than UNDER-ranking them, but I know some people who never raised higher than their placement matches, so that might just be my experience. Obviously, winning will still get you a higher end-rank, but you should probably just play as best you can with the assumption you'll end up close to your Season 1 placement result.

So whether you go 1-9, 9-1, or somewhere in between, different players will get drastically different results even with the same placement match results.

If the system started with assuming every un-placed player was equal in skill, your first several placement matches would be a mix of SR 80's and SR 20's (and everything in between), and that would be terrible for trying to determine the team's actual skill. (This completely randomized team scenario is what an actual 'ELO HELL' would be, not some imaginary scenario where you are level 45, but you think you should be level 47, and you can't quite seem to get there.)

Discospawn fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Sep 3, 2016

The RECAPITATOR
May 12, 2006

Cursed to like terrible teams.

Ragequit posted:

What was your win/loss rate? I have been playing with awful groups and have gone 1 and 5 so far. Every loss had a Hanzo and Bastion on the team. At least Mercy is a healing powerhouse now and pretty fun to play.

Also Blizz needs to add a new hot take/tip/strat - "Shoot enemies out of the sky! This kills the Pharah."

6W/4L - all solo, not sure if it makes a difference or not. Wins were stomps, losses were stomps.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Currently 5-0 with my main man Lucio in season 2. Aww yeah.

Got placed into platinum, forget what SR though. Onward to shiny diamond pixels!

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

I went 9-1 got 2826. Lower than PTR so they must've adjusted the system pretty good.

RBX fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Sep 3, 2016

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
Finished my placements. Almost Diamond. This can't be right:

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx
stop taking stat tracker sites as gospel jfc

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

They don't have a record of your quickplay losses so everyone is showing up with 100% win rates for stats collected in that mode. Tracker sites have never been good at telling you how good you actually are but right now they're infinitely worse.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*

Afraid of Audio posted:

stop taking stat tracker sites as gospel jfc

Why not?

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
Ended last season at 53, ranked at ~2400 after s2 placements. Either I haven't been playing enough between seasons or I need to suppport less and carry more. Not that I played much comp during s1 with sudden death being so annoying.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

PureRok posted:

Finished my placements. Almost Diamond. This can't be right:

It called me the #6 D.Va last night, but the tryhard thread thinks I'm crap so... who knows? Just enjoy it while it lasts. :)

Status update:

Ersatz fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Sep 3, 2016

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
Season 2: Bronze: 1-1499 = Season 1: 0-29 Skillrating
Season 2: Silver: 1500-1999 = Season 1: 30-39 Skillrating
Season 2: Gold: 2000-2499 = Season 1: 40-49 Skillrating
Season 2: Platinum: 2500-2999 = Season 1: 50-59 Skillrating
Season 2: Diamond: 3000-3499 = Season 1: 60-69 Skillrating
Season 2: Master: 3500-3999 = Season 1: 70-79 Skillrating
Season 2: Grandmaster: 4000-5000 = Season 1: 80-100 Skillrating

Is this accurate? Got it trying to google what bracket I placed into.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Ace of Baes posted:

Season 2: Bronze: 1-1499 = Season 1: 0-29 Skillrating
Season 2: Silver: 1500-1999 = Season 1: 30-39 Skillrating
Season 2: Gold: 2000-2499 = Season 1: 40-49 Skillrating
Season 2: Platinum: 2500-2999 = Season 1: 50-59 Skillrating
Season 2: Diamond: 3000-3499 = Season 1: 60-69 Skillrating
Season 2: Master: 3500-3999 = Season 1: 70-79 Skillrating
Season 2: Grandmaster: 4000-5000 = Season 1: 80-100 Skillrating

Is this accurate? Got it trying to google what bracket I placed into.
Looks right to me.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

Nehru the Damaja posted:

They don't have a record of your quickplay losses so everyone is showing up with 100% win rates for stats collected in that mode. Tracker sites have never been good at telling you how good you actually are but right now they're infinitely worse.

Good thing those stats are from comp then.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

PureRok posted:

Good thing those stats are from comp then.
How is Mercy feeling post-buff? I'm seeing a lot more flying around, have noticed a lot more revives happening, and I'm tempted to put some time into practicing the character.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Mercy is good, and she makes a great partner to Pharah right now. Mercy is VERY positional dependent, though. Lucio is pretty fast and good at dodging away, but if you fly wrong as Mercy you will die instantly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Does anyone actually care about quickplay stats? It's quickplay. The competitive stats are working fine and gives relevant info on how well/bad you're performing imo.