Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Armour of contempt also has the ghosts playing tabletop war games during transit. But they got to play on holographic projectors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I was a the Games Workshop store earlier today, and they had a big series of Age of Sigmar books, hardcover and numbered on the spines like The Beast Arise books. Are they any good? It made me realize that I don't know anything about the Age of Sigmar setting, aside from the fact that there are "Realms", whatever those are

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Shockeh posted:

Isn't it more that The Inquisition is just as widely varied as the Imperium it protects oppresses *BLAM* saves and therefore you see just as much variety in the Inquisitors themselves. You get everything from 'a practical child with a stubber' through to Inquisitor Fyodor Karamazov literally riding an automated, walking judgement throne around.

We're told time & time again in various books that Inquisitors vary hugely in their methods and approach, and some of them even actively prey on the expectations of what the Inquisition is like to get their way - The one unifying fact about them is they have functionally unlimited power, everything else is YMMV.

isnt that the entire point of amberley vail. she is all cheery and happy and kinda whimsical and has a relationship with cain at times.

So i got my GF into warhammer and she LOVES the Skaven. what books have them in it alot.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Dapper_Swindler posted:

isnt that the entire point of amberley vail. she is all cheery and happy and kinda whimsical and has a relationship with cain at times.

So i got my GF into warhammer and she LOVES the Skaven. what books have them in it alot.

Has she read the Thanquol series or Skavenslayer?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Buy her Vermintide on Steam and play together, man thing.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Guy Goodbody posted:

I was a the Games Workshop store earlier today, and they had a big series of Age of Sigmar books, hardcover and numbered on the spines like The Beast Arise books. Are they any good? It made me realize that I don't know anything about the Age of Sigmar setting, aside from the fact that there are "Realms", whatever those are

I think you're gong to have a hard time finding anyone on SA who has read those. AoS is a pretty big source of frustration and anger here, and for a lot of old WFB players in general. That being said, BL books are usually only as good as their author, so something written by one of their better authors might be alright (if it didn't have the whole AoS thing hanging over its head.) If you want to know more about AoS consult your local library or 1d4 Chan.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Mechafunkzilla posted:

If I remember correctly, Angel Exterminatus reveals that the Iron Warriors are giant nerds who spend their free time playing tabletop miniatures games.

This was my favorite part of an otherwise merely okay book. I don't hate it though.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Thanquol and Boneripper trilogy (as recommended by VanSandman)
Headtaker (Skaven-centric novel)
The Black Plague Trilogy (Empire fighting off the plague and Skaven)
Rise of the Horned Rat (End Times)
Thanquol (The WFB End Times rulebook)
Any of the Skaven Army Books (you can get older editions on Ebay super cheap)

I'd start with an army book (6th edition would be good,) as that will have a good overview. The Thanquol and Boneripper books have a light tone, which would be good for someone just getting into it.

berzerkmonkey fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Sep 3, 2016

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

Buy her Vermintide on Steam and play together, man thing.

she has a bigger potato of computer then I do. and no new gen consoles.

VanSandman posted:

Has she read the Thanquol series or Skavenslayer?

she read skaven slayer. I lent her my gotrek and felix omnibus. I need to find the thanquol series, but all the books are super expensive now and i dont have a kindle. in fact all of the skaven novels except for rise of HR are expensive.

She is basically into them because she read/still reads/loves the redwall books and it reminds her of those.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

berzerkmonkey posted:

I think you're gong to have a hard time finding anyone on SA who has read those. AoS is a pretty big source of frustration and anger here, and for a lot of old WFB players in general. That being said, BL books are usually only as good as their author, so something written by one of their better authors might be alright (if it didn't have the whole AoS thing hanging over its head.) If you want to know more about AoS consult your local library or 1d4 Chan.

yeah i just looked it on on 1d4. holy gently caress, why did they do that. its so dumb and bad.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah i just looked it on on 1d4. holy gently caress, why did they do that. its so dumb and bad.

It also wasn't even that profitable as the stocks have shown.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
They spent all their money replacing the Space Marine statue in front of HQ with a Stormcast Eternal.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

They spent all their money replacing the Space Marine statue in front of HQ with a Stormcast Eternal.

yeah, havent they been bleeding money for a few years now. if it wernt for the novels(well some of them) and video games they would be hosed.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah, havent they been bleeding money for a few years now. if it wernt for the novels(well some of them) and video games they would be hosed.

Apparently they aren't. That 1D4Chan page also says that Age of Sigmar amounts to 35% of all Games Workshop sales now, compared to 5% that Fantasy Battles comprised. However, that source also doesn't say whether or not 40K sales are down which would explain why AOS makes up a third of their revenue.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

Apparently they aren't. That 1D4Chan page also says that Age of Sigmar amounts to 35% of all Games Workshop sales now, compared to 5% that Fantasy Battles comprised. However, that source also doesn't say whether or not 40K sales are down which would explain why AOS makes up a third of their revenue.

I just dont get why they cant find good devs or at least make better games. sure there are some great ones. but it seems like you could get a good studio like CD projects or obsidion or hell even bioware and make a good action rpg with a big budget. I mean Vermintide was great and deathwing looks good and that inquester diablo thing may be ok. not mention dawn of war, total warhammer and space marine. but all the do are cheap phone games.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Battlefleet Gothic was also great, along with Man O' War Corsair which is janky but is going the right direction. There are a lot of Warhammer games coming out, lots good and lots bad. Wish they just hadn't taken down the wonderful Chapter Master.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

berzerkmonkey posted:

Any of the Skaven Army Books (you can get older editions on Ebay super cheap)
There was as 2nd edition WHFRP sourcebook which was also pretty great if you can track it down,

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

I am about a third of the way through the 3rd Eisenhorn book after having no previous exposure to the universe. Are any of the PC games worth playing? Finally, how are Warhammer and Warhammer 40k related? Is one the past/future of the other?

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

D-Pad posted:

I am about a third of the way through the 3rd Eisenhorn book after having no previous exposure to the universe. Are any of the PC games worth playing? Finally, how are Warhammer and Warhammer 40k related? Is one the past/future of the other?

It's very heavily hinted in a few places (namely the old Liber Chaotica artbooks) that the Warhammer world exists within the Eye of Terror, and in the very first Warhammer editions, Chaos champions could find chainswords and other weird future weapons.

They walked back from that later, then later still blew up the whole Warhammer world, so....

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

D-Pad posted:

Space Marine is great, and Dawn of War 2 is pretty good if you like to manage small squads of badasses, the first Dawn of war is good if you like the original Comand and Conquer style single player, but the graphics are dated now in 2016.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
And sadly, it seems the Eisenhorn: Xenos game is aggressively mediocre at best. I was pretty severely disappointed to learn that. :(

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Vermintide and total war Warhammer are great on the fantasy end of the spectrum. The upcoming deathwing game looks pretty rad as well, even if it is being written by Gav Thorpe. Then again, a lot of Black Library writing feels like video game scripts with the amounts of bloodshed, so maybe the story will be good?

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Sep 5, 2016

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Gav Thorpe's stupid bullshit is probably a perfect fit for a game by the devs of EYE, to be honest.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
Yeah it seems a perfect fit.

Streum On owns, although definitely don't expect the game to be anything but janky. EYE is great, it's practically a 40k game.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

hopterque posted:

Yeah it seems a perfect fit.

Streum On owns, although definitely don't expect the game to be anything but janky. EYE is great, it's practically a 40k game.

EYE DIVINE CYBERMANCY is the dorkiest French not-Warhammer game I've ever played, and it's really enjoyable given its janky charm. Deathwing looks a lot smoother and more playable, and I'm guessing a lot of that comes down to it having a much, much higher budget this time around. I'm stoked for it.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
Yeah, I liked the look of the gameplay trailer, treating the terminators like the walking tanks they are with locational damage and stuff.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

It's very heavily hinted in a few places (namely the old Liber Chaotica artbooks) that the Warhammer world exists within the Eye of Terror, and in the very first Warhammer editions, Chaos champions could find chainswords and other weird future weapons.

They walked back from that later, then later still blew up the whole Warhammer world, so....

They said it was in the eye of terror? I knew that it was alluded that Sigmar was one of the lost Primarchs (he was born under a shooting star, aka his incubator pod, and then disappeared after he founded the Empire, aka got teleported off world by the emperor), but I didn't know the world itself was in such a precarious position! What did those old books have to say about it, exactly?

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

They said it was in the eye of terror? I knew that it was alluded that Sigmar was one of the lost Primarchs (he was born under a shooting star, aka his incubator pod, and then disappeared after he founded the Empire, aka got teleported off world by the emperor), but I didn't know the world itself was in such a precarious position! What did those old books have to say about it, exactly?

That its possible to surf a demon from warhammer fantasy into warhammer 40k.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Lots of 40k tech turned up in fantasy, like 3+ save armour that was too heavy for a horse to carry etc.

Snollygoster
Dec 17, 2002

what a scoop
I think there was a bit in the skaven End Times splatbook, where they're pretty much dabbing on the ruins of the setting and find a device in a lizard men temple, and they hear a voice coming from it that sounded sort of like an elf, but in a language they couldn't quite understand. The skaven freaked out and shot the device to pieces. That's the biggest wink-and-nudge I've seen recently to the Old World and 40K intersecting in any way.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

PantsOptional posted:

I picked up Angel Exterminatus yesterday because I'm deep in the middle of painting a 30k Iron Warriors force. I'd heard that the book does a pretty poor job with Perturabo's characterization; without spoiling too much, is this internet hyperbole or is it a legit complaint?

I actually liked the charchterization they gave him. He is another one of those cases where he probably would have excelled and never turned to chaos if allowed to be something other than a warrior. He kinda has some neat da vinci vibe going on, except he never gets to express it and turns into the bitter, resentful dick that the rest of the universe knows him as.

Edit: Though my opinion may be bad, since I seem to be one of the few that do like him.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Honestly I quite like Angel Exterminatus, and Perturabo was fantastic all the way through. Not sure why people disliked it, it was one of the better Heresy books if I remember correctly. I enjoyed it much more than the Imperium Secundus stuff or Nick Kyme's work.

Miguel Prado
Nov 5, 2008

Don't worry, like they say " It's all good! "

berzerkmonkey posted:

Master of Mankind went to print last week.

What's the source on this?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Elmnt80 posted:

I actually liked the charchterization they gave him. He is another one of those cases where he probably would have excelled and never turned to chaos if allowed to be something other than a warrior. He kinda has some neat da vinci vibe going on, except he never gets to express it and turns into the bitter, resentful dick that the rest of the universe knows him as.

Edit: Though my opinion may be bad, since I seem to be one of the few that do like him.

isnt that the case of most of the chaos turned primarchs. except for angron and kurze.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

PantsOptional posted:

I picked up Angel Exterminatus yesterday because I'm deep in the middle of painting a 30k Iron Warriors force. I'd heard that the book does a pretty poor job with Perturabo's characterization; without spoiling too much, is this internet hyperbole or is it a legit complaint?

I was so ready to like that book, but it steps on some very major storytelling rakes along the way.

-Iron Warriors are so butthurt and whiny though all of it that it becomes grating. drat, World eaters had it rough too with the madness and jerk Primarch but at least they had a sense of humor about it.
-The whole "we'll find a super weapon that will flip this war around" gambit has been done to death. Besides, it's a prequel. We know if it will work or not. Zero tension.
-Gimmicky lame characters. Why, sure everyone will love my uber cool Astartes ninja/sniper/void fighter/peerless general/invincible Raven Guard swordsman who is also mega badass and incorruptible!
-As an addendum to that, having a goofy mad scientist character that saves the day at the last moment with a wacky invention? No. Just no.
-The supposedly deep Eldar hidden plot was incredibly, amazingly dump. Complex and depending upon coincidence and chance to the point of absurdity, and impossible to pull off even if all went right.
-Tries way, WAY to hard to prequel Storm of Iron, bordering on Episode I levels. I was expecting a pod race at some point.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?
In The Emperor's Gift the Fel-Handed tells Kyranos that he reminds him of a Remembrancer he once knew. Who is he referring to?

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Miguel Prado posted:

What's the source on this?
ADB's twitter:

quote:

In more interesting news, THE MASTER OF MANKIND went to print this week.
2:48 AM - 3 Aug 2016

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
Now if only Dan Abnett would tweet something similar about Penitent or Warmaster. :sigh:

Shroud
May 11, 2009

Uroboros posted:

In The Emperor's Gift the Fel-Handed tells Kyranos that he reminds him of a Remembrancer he once knew. Who is he referring to?

Howser?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

Uroboros posted:

The narrator/skjald from Prospero Burns

edit: ^him